• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Detox

Interesting, I don't think there are many people who are going to be buying Crysis for the multiplayer. Just a question for people with multiple games that have securom, when I installed Dead Space 2 through the EADM I was asked by securom if I wanted to use up one of my activations. If Crysis has securom shouldn't a pop-up come up and ask me the same question? Or is it just once securom is activated on a PC it works across all securom games?

I'm asking this because I got no securom pop-up when I installed and launched Crysis through Steam. I don't think it has securom anymore.

EDIT: I checked with the securom removal tool and Crysis definitely has securom.

Lumine

Damnit everytime Crysis goes on sale I'm tempted but then I read about its securom and I become hesitant... am seemingly unable to make a decision. :(

apana

Detox said:
Interesting, I don't think there are many people who are going to be buying Crysis for the multiplayer. Just a question for people with multiple games that have securom, when I installed Dead Space 2 through the EADM I was asked by securom if I wanted to use up one of my activations. If Crysis has securom shouldn't a pop-up come up and ask me the same question? Or is it just once securom is activated on a PC it works across all securom games?

I'm asking this because I got no securom pop-up when I installed and launched Crysis through Steam. I don't think it has securom anymore.

EDIT: I checked with the securom removal tool and Crysis definitely has securom.

lol I know that some people from Crytek do visit the Steam forums and would likely be aware that people still have questions but they refuse to release any statements, even a forum post somewhere would be nice.

LOL bought Mass Effect and Crysis + Warhead even though I'll only get a new PC this autumn for BF3!

Before the Battlefield 3 announcement I never really considered buying newer games, cause I just met the minimum requirements...and now I'm already buying stuff for like a half year in advance! This summer sale will be brutal ;(

epmode

apana said:
lol I know that some people from Crytek do visit the Steam forums and would likely be aware that people still have questions but they refuse to release any statements, even a forum post somewhere would be nice.
I'm under the impression that the retail release had the DRM stripped in a patch but it never made its way over to the Steam version.

No one ever gives an official answer so I just don't uninstall the game. Fuck EA.

edit: The EA SecuROM removal tool was released after Crysis and it definitely doesn't support it. It does work with Warhead, however.

MRORANGE

two new games on steam;

BEEP

http://store.steampowered.com/app/104200/

BEEP is a 2D side-scrolling platformer with physics-based gameplay. You control a small robot equipped with an anti-gravity device, a jet-pack and a gun. Drive, jump, fly, swim and shoot your way through 24 levels scattered across 6 unique environments.

Use BEEP’s anti-gravity device to directly manipulate the physics-based environments. The anti-gravity device is both a tool and a weapon. Use it to smash enemy robots, build towers and solve puzzles.

BEEP has traveled for thousands of years through deep space to explore the Galaxy. Traverse a foreign star system with the BEEP-ship and send robots to the surface of the planets.

Fortix 2

http://store.steampowered.com/app/45450/

Fortix 2 is best described as a reverse turret defense game. As Sir Fortix, the knight, you must conquer castles while dodging tower turrets and evil monsters.

Fight your way across the shires of the island Artalom, storming from castle to castle. Use cunning strategy to succeed against the maze-like levels and defeat the evil mage Xitrof.

You are the lone Knight who must fight against the entire infested continent!

apana

legacyzero said:
Hmmmm. I think if they put up Medal of Honor for $10, I'll bite. But they'll probably close this sale with with BF games, huh.

I thought they were gonna do Dead Space today. An interesting factoid, Dead Space originally had 3rd party DRM installed but EA eventually removed it from all their games. All their games except maybe Crysis/Warhead. Also I'm more interested in the single player campaign portions of fps and so I would prefer Medal of Honor over Battlefield.

Mrbob

Fortix 2 sounds interesting. Wish there was a demo to play. Same thing for Beep. It would be nice if all Indie Steam games came with the whole suite of Steamworks features.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Anyone explain how the SecuRom removal tool works? Do I use it after I uninstall the games? When the games are installed? They also mentioned using the /Run program in windows too. It's a bit confusing for me is all.

shintoki said:
Anyone explain how the SecuRom removal tool works? Do I use it after I uninstall the games? When the games are installed? They also mentioned using the /Run program in windows too. It's a bit confusing for me is all.

Uninstall the game, and then use the tool.

Shahadan said:
Yeah it will probably be Battlefield and Dead Space. I could go for C&C though.

I've got all the BF games, so that's not going to suit me so good... but I don't have Dead Space 1 or 2 yet, so I actually hope you're right about both of those because I have wanted to get around to them for a long time and if they just so happen to be available cheap through steam then that's the best option :)

It's amazing to think of some of the games currently available and the supposed massive performance increases on PC graphics cards laid out by Nvidia and ATI in the next couple of years.

It will be fun to come back to some of these games in two years time and see just how amazing some of them can look with 16xAA etc

Batman Arkham Asylum with 8xAA on my 50" Plasma looks fookin incredible... some parts seriously fool me for CG, it's brilliant!

I guess this is as good a place to ask, but I have had some issues with Crysis on my computer. Whenever I try changing the resolution, it keeps resetting back to default. Even when it asks "Do you want to keep this setting?" Even then the menu choices seem "off" like I Have to hover my mouse a few inches to the left to select some options. I'm not sure what's wrong.

Nekofrog said:
Ugh. Wish I had read this thread before I bought Crysis. It's giving me the same CD key error.
Ever since I switched to Win7 I couldn't get the game to start properly. Tried all the different fixes etc. Really shitty support too since it's a widespread issue.

Zzoram

People always forget this but Crysis 1 had poor support. They stopped patching it early on and told everyone to buy Warhead instead. This was despite the bug that broke the last level of the game for everyone with an ATI 4800 series card.

Mrbob said:
Fortix 2 sounds interesting. Wish there was a demo to play. Same thing for Beep. It would be nice if all Indie Steam games came with the whole suite of Steamworks features.

Fortix 2's description is misleading. It is not "best described" as whatever a reverse tower defense game is. It is best described as a medieval-themed Qix, because that is exactly what it is. Or at least that's what the first game is. It's fun if you like Qix.

kiryani

I don't know if my bank balance can handle Battlefield day.

Hoping for Dead Space day so I don't have to spend any money (already got DS for £2.49 yesterday)

Nabs

capsule_616x353.jpg

DS2 - $24

apana

Alright guys lets go through this one last time. Dead Space has no 3rd Party DRM listed and nothing in the fine print unlike Bioshock 2:

Other Requirements: Initial installation requires one-time internet connection; Ability to save game, earn achievements, receive title updates and online play requires log-in to Games for Windows LIVE; software installations required including Microsoft Visual C++2008 Runtime Libraries, Games for Windows LIVE client, Games for Windows LIVE Client Patch, Sony DADC SecuROM, Microsoft DirectX.

Dead Space is clean so go for it!

I feel like a lot more people might've gone for DS2 if it was 50% off rather than 40%. Quite an odd discount.

Still a great price though. Buy them both, you fools!

Dead Space isn't scary, it's most tense and suspenseful. There are points in DS1 that made me jump, but towards the end of the game it became more about struggling to overcome enemies than having my pants pissed. I imagine DS2 is the same and also very much worth the $24... no way in hell am I waiting till the holidays to get this game.

apana

Alright for Dead Space 2 the DRM it uses is Solid Shield which is probably not so bad. Some people have been reporting that it comes with SecuRom when it shouldn't. It's probably just rumors but I hope somebody who just downloaded it can check. I would check myself but I'm only gonna get Dead Space right now.

MooMoo

Damn, I bought DS2 during EA's one day sale a while back. Would have been nice to just have it on Steam rather than through EADM. Oh well, $24 is a great price either way.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Foliorum Viridum said:
I feel like a lot more people might've gone for DS2 if it was 50% off rather than 40%. Quite an odd discount.

Still a great price though. Buy them both, you fools!
ya psychologically it still seemed like a lot.

19.99 is two 2 pizzas, but 23.99 is two pizzas and... wings?

apana

What type of scary is Dead Space? Sustained psychological terror like System Shock 2 or more like monsters jumping out at you when you didn't expect it?

scitek

apana said:
What type of scary is Dead Space? Sustained psychological terror like System Shock 2 or more like monsters jumping out at you when you didn't expect it?

The latter, but after a little while, you always expect it.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
dead space is kind of a mix, really. some psychological shenenigans mixed with the occasional jump scare, but it's mostly re4 style action horror tension.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
DS2 is tempting, but I've become more disciplined about buying games, with a backlog of the size of mine.

DeVeAn said:
Shit, I want DS2 but have a feeling its goning to be cheaper in the summer.

It might be $20, but I'd be surprised if it goes lower than that.

I bought it full price at launch and never regretted it. Love both these games. Some of the sections are just amazing.

coopolon

LocoMrPollock said:
It might be $20, but I'd be surprised if it goes lower than that.

I bought it full price at launch and never regretted it. Love both these games. Some of the sections are just amazing.

Edit: Misread the post you quioted. Yah, I doubt it's going to get below $20 on Steam this summer. Probably Fall/Xmas. The EA store might have a sale though. Steam EA sales tend to be a month or two behind the EA store sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom