• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Broken Ska Record said:
I'm very interested in that, but I may wait till it's a bit cheaper. It sounds like it could be fun.

How much is it showing up for you?

It's only $9... that's pretty cheep, and for the fact that the thing supports downloadable user generated scenarios... it's quite appealing. I spent about 8 or 9 hours on it so far, at $1 an hour that's pretty good value to me.

It's cool because you can see what affect to Earth's orbit around the sun different sized asteroids would make. I fired a moon sized asteroid into the earth and sent it flying into the sun... though, it was a perfect setup that could virtually not happen in real life, but it's still interesting non the less.

The galaxy mergings are faked (as in they don't simulate all the planets and you can't follow the affect of just one planet in the galaxy and see where it ends up when the galaxies collide) but they are still something spectacular to behold!

plc268

stOex said:
Crysis & Crysis Warhead are US$3.75 each here in Australia.

It's good to see you guys not get ripped off like crazy in this sale.

I'd probably go nuts if I had to pay Aussie retail prices for some of these games.

apana

Alright guys I did a little more searching through forums and from what I can tell Crysis still does have a 5 install limit and it definitely still has SecuRom with it. One of the Crysis reps said there are no plans to remove it at this time. I'll keep searching to see if I can find more recent information.

ColonialRaptor said:
How much is it showing up for you?

It's only $9... that's pretty cheep, and for the fact that the thing supports downloadable user generated scenarios... it's quite appealing. I spent about 8 or 9 hours on it so far, at $1 an hour that's pretty good value to me.

It's cool because you can see what affect to Earth's orbit around the sun different sized asteroids would make. I fired a moon sized asteroid into the earth and sent it flying into the sun... though, it was a perfect setup that could virtually not happen in real life, but it's still interesting non the less.

The galaxy mergings are faked (as in they don't simulate all the planets and you can't follow the affect of just one planet in the galaxy and see where it ends up when the galaxies collide) but they are still something spectacular to behold!
It's $10, which in the grand scheme of things isn't that much. I'm just being stubborn and spoiled because I'm waiting on a Steam sale or something. *shrug*

vocab

apana said:
If you removed the SecuRom files from your computer but can still play Crysis then how did you conclude that it does install some for SecuRom? If you can play Crysis with no Securom files on your computer doesn't that mean that Crysis never required Securom in the first place?

Files keep coming back after deletion when I launch the game.

I really want to figure out a way to make this next week just fly by... possibly skip it.

Hopefully Brink will be as good as it sounds and can occupy my time next week, but the week after LA Noire and the BIG BOY The Witcher 2. Gad I can't wait :)

It also appears that Deus Ex will be Steam Powered whichever way it is purchased.

Excellent.

Edit - or is that just the Steam digital version? Oh god damn... not another one with various choices... ffs this is killing me.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
ColonialRaptor said:
It also appears that Deus Ex will be Steam Powered whichever way it is purchased.

Excellent.

Edit - or is that just the Steam digital version? Oh god damn... not another one with various choices... ffs this is killing me.

Your initial assumption is correct. DX: HR was confirmed to be a Steamworks title earlier in the year.

stOex

plc268 said:
It's good to see you guys not get ripped off like crazy in this sale.

I'd probably go nuts if I had to pay Aussie retail prices for some of these games.

Yes, those Steam deals are excellent. But I like so many other aussies never buy any AU retail games - always import from overseas for half the price. Only con is that it takes 2 weeks, but I'm patient enough most of the time.

JaseC

stOex said:
Yes, those Steam deals are excellent. But I like so many other aussies never buy any AU retail games - always import from overseas for half the price. Only con is that it takes 2 weeks, but I'm patient enough most of the time.

The last PC game I bought at retail was Gears of War in 2007, and that's only because I really wanted to play it, but didn't have access to an X360. Think I paid around $70 after the employee discount was applied.

Edit: Cross-posted from the "I need a new PC!" thread:

apana said:

I just ran Crysis and it didn't install SecuROM. Also, Crytek have confirmed in the past that the game also no longer has an activation limit.

Crysis Warhead, on the other hand, is still downloading, however with the same comment Crytek mentioned that it was still protected by SecuROM. I'll run the game when it's done downloading and edit this post.

Edit: Yeah, Warhead installs SecuROM. Boo!

apana

JaseC said:
The last PC game I bought at retail was Gears of War in 2007, and that's only because I really wanted to play it, but didn't have access to an X360. Think I paid around $70 after the employee discount was applied.

Edit: Cross-posted from the "I need a new PC!" thread:

I just ran Crysis and it didn't install SecuROM. Also, Crytek have confirmed in the past that the game also no longer has an activation limit.

Crysis Warhead, on the other hand, is still downloading, however with the same comment Crytek mentioned that it was still protected by SecuROM. I'll run the game when it's done downloading and edit this post.

Wow seriously? How did you check? Did you buy it recently from Steam? It makes me wonder why Crytek wouldn't say anything about it and why they haven't updated their page on Steam. I hope this deal really does last till tomorrow afternoon. I'd appreciate it if you could check again, however you did it, just to make sure.

JaseC

apana said:
Wow seriously? How did you check? Did you buy it recently from Steam? It makes me wonder why Crytek wouldn't say anything about it and why they haven't updated their page on Steam. I hope this deal really does last till tomorrow afternoon. I'd appreciate it if you could check again, however you did it, just to make sure.

I checked by looking for the SecuROM folder in [OS Drive]\Users\[User]\AppData\Roaming\. It wasn't there when I ran Crysis, but I just ran Warhead and the folder has appeared.

Seems Crytek were being honest about it all. It is rather strange that they haven't removed SecuROM from Warhead as well, or even so much as removed the third-party DRM information from the Steam page of the original Crysis.

Hot Pursuit is running like total shit. 4ghz e8500, crossfire 4870s (and tried with crossfire off). Turned settings down to medium/off, resolution down to 1680x1050. Runs really poorly.

Drivers are up to date etc. Is this typical? What is going on here? I can run Crysis (and everything else) better than this game.

Echoplx

JaseC said:
I checked by looking for the SecuROM folder in [OS Drive]\Users\[User]\AppData\Roaming\. It wasn't there when I ran Crysis, but I just ran Warhead and the folder has appeared.

Seems Crytek were being honest about it all. It is rather strange that they haven't removed SecuROM from Warhead as well, or even so much as removed the third-party DRM information from the Steam page of the original Crysis.

paul.dll is still in the Crysis directory so Securom is still there...

JaseC

3chopl0x said:
paul.dll is still in the Crysis directory so Securom is still there...

Paul.dll is just an authentication layer, IIRC. SecuROM itself isn't installed with Crysis.

Echoplx

benjipwns said:
There's a dropbox sharing limit? Do you know what it is?

10GB for free accounts and 250 for pro accounts. This only effects sharing with people who don't have a dropbox account though.

JaseC said:
Paul.dll is just an authentication layer, IIRC. SecuROM itself isn't installed with Crysis.

Ah ok, glad Crytek finally got rid of it.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Figured I'd ask here. I bought Need for Speed: HP a few months ago from Amazon (Digital) before I knew that those keys worked on Steam. It says it's invalid now, which I figured would happen. Anyone know if Steam or Amazon allows for some way to get around this? I would really like to have it on my steam account =/

Salsa

Stahsky said:
Figured I'd ask here. I bought Need for Speed: HP a few months ago from Amazon (Digital) before I knew that those keys worked on Steam.

The problem is that they dont work on Steam

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
SalsaShark said:
The problem is that they dont work on Steam

Oh, they don't? I just assumed they did considering I've done it with a few other games. Ah well. Thanks though.

Narag

opticalmace said:
Hot Pursuit is running like total shit. 4ghz e8500, crossfire 4870s (and tried with crossfire off). Turned settings down to medium/off, resolution down to 1680x1050. Runs really poorly.

Drivers are up to date etc. Is this typical? What is going on here? I can run Crysis (and everything else) better than this game.

Steam version is a few patches behind IIRC. 1.02 vs 1.05

SalsaShark said:
interesting

any way to get it up to date ?
Take your steam key, pop it into EADM, download that version.

Or manually update it http://news.bigdownload.com/2011/04/14/download-need-for-speed-hot-pursuit-1-05-pc-patch/ EDIT: nevermind this doesn't work

Or just wait until steam eventually updates it. Maybe sometime this year.

Stahsky said:
Figured I'd ask here. I bought Need for Speed: HP a few months ago from Amazon (Digital) before I knew that those keys worked on Steam. It says it's invalid now, which I figured would happen. Anyone know if Steam or Amazon allows for some way to get around this? I would really like to have it on my steam account =/
The key works with EADM not Steam. But EADM is pretty much the same thing, just for EA games at this point, so go add it to there.

fresquito

I have a problem with Crysis: the game is showing black borders when I set it to 1080p. I don't know why this is happening. It doesn't happen in any other game and CCC panael settings are right. Anybody having the same issue? Any solution known?

fresquito said:
I have a problem with Crysis: the game is showing black borders when I set it to 1080p. I don't know why this is happening. It doesn't happen in any other game and CCC panael settings are right. Anybody having the same issue? Any solution known?
Your monitor is 1920x1080, not 1920x1200, right?

Metal Gear?! said:
Take your steam key, pop it into EADM, download that version.

Or manually update it http://news.bigdownload.com/2011/04/14/download-need-for-speed-hot-pursuit-1-05-pc-patch/

Or just wait until steam eventually updates it. Maybe sometime this year.
Thanks I'm going to try getting it off EADM. If it changes anything I'll post back..

I tried using my Hot Pursuit key on EADM but it said it was already redeemed. Hm. Any tips? If I uninstall my Steam one will it work?

Or does anyone know how to patch the Steam version manually?

This shit is a pain in the behind.

Edit: Okay I waited 20 minutes after uninstalling it from Steam, restarted EADM and now the game appears in my account. I'm going to download it now. I'm hoping with the new patch it will run a lot better.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
fresquito said:
Using an ATi card and 1080p monitor connected via HDMI I guess? This happens to me too, Crysis defaults to 1920 x 1080, 50hz. To correct this you must press Alt+Enter until the screen goes to full screen again but with 1920 x 1080 60hz.

Rich!

Stop It said:
Using an ATi card and 1080p monitor connected via HDMI I guess? This happens to me too, Crysis defaults to 1920 x 1080, 50hz. To correct this you must press Alt+Enter until the screen goes to full screen again but with 1920 x 1080 60hz.

oooh shit. I had that issue too, and obviously now I know how to fix it

thanks!

Jenks

Banned
Stop It said:

Ive had this issue with Crysis and a couple of other games i might swap my DVI to HDMI cable to VGA as my the VGA port isnt used on my monitor.

fresquito

Stop It said:
Thanks! I'll try when I'm at home.

I bought Crysis and it looks like I have the same problem as a lot of other users...in that you can't play it:

http://forums.steamgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1875468
Hey Guys,

Bought the Crysis pack on sale today, Crysis 1 is telling me to keep re-entering the serial to launch the game, as in the key is not valid; is there any possible way I can fix this?

Steam Auto-places my CD Key in the box, I've tried retyping it, I've tried Copy-Pasting from the Steam Library CD Key window, nothing
As if EA digital distribution wasn't already enough of a clusterfuck.

I tried to enter the serial numbers for like 5 different Battlefield games to unlock the garand in bad company 2. EA told me that every single one was already in use. Twice now I've had all of my battlefield stats erased and once my entire account vanished. EA is on some amateur hour bullshit.

1-D_FTW

I remember when BF2 launched. Not only did EA have those ridiculous unlocks with outrageous EX requirements, but pretty much none of my stats ever got recorded. This is a fine tradition of EA. EA is kinda like the western Nintendo when it comes to online.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
CaptainAhab said:
I tried to enter the serial numbers for like 5 different Battlefield games to unlock the garand in bad company 2. EA told me that every single one was already in use. Twice now I've had all of my battlefield stats erased and once my entire account vanished. EA is on some amateur hour bullshit.
:lol sorry for laughing, but omfg you're a glutton for punishment

Detox

Weird, I just launched both Crysis and Warhead, neither game asked me for a key. I didn't let Crysis install Punkbuster or Gamespy Comrade as I'm not interested in the multiplayer. Neither Crysis or Warhead launched with a securom activation either. Does Crysis ask you to enter key at launch? Mine didn't.

Detox said:
Weird, I just launched both Crysis and Warhead, neither game asked me for a key. I didn't let Crysis install Punkbuster or Gamespy Comrade as I'm not interested in the multiplayer. Neither Crysis or Warhead launched with a securom activation either. Does Crysis ask you to enter key at launch? Mine didn't.
Hot Pursuit didn't ask me for a cd-key until I tried to set up the multiplayer stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom