• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
coopolon said:
It will assuredly get cheaper, but probably not for several months. The way EA manages their pricing, I wouldn't be surprised if it is $10 over Xmas sale somewhere.

Talking specifically about the the summer sale in a couple months. If they do indeed have one.

The_Inquisitor said:
God dangit GAF do I wait for the summer sale to buy DS2, or buy it now? I am still working on my XMAS sale backlog, but this is INCREDIBLY tempting.

I don't think this one will sit in your backlog. Most people will finish it within a day or two of starting it.

Carm

$23.99 for something that uses Tages DRM is to much, will wait till it hits $10 like DS1. Big publishers need to get it through their hollow skulls that adding DRM on top of Steam releases makes them lose money. I have a 139 game backlog on Steam alone, I'm in no hurry to play a big pub game with all the Indie stuff available. Particularly when the pc port is half-assed.

Carm said:
$23.99 for something that uses Tages DRM is to much, will wait till it hits $10 like DS1. Big publishers need to get it through their hollow skulls that adding DRM on top of Steam releases makes them lose money. I have a 139 game backlog on Steam alone, I'm in no hurry to play a big pub game with all the Indie stuff available. Particularly when the pc port is half-assed.

No Tages here. And DS2 is no half-assed port. It's one of the best engines out there and will even run beautifully on low-end systems.

apana

LocoMrPollock said:
No Tages here. And DS2 is no half-assed port. It's one of the best engines out there and will even run beautifully on low-end systems.

They say on the Steam page that they are requiring SolidShield for DS2. Here it is on the online disclaimer section:

GAME USES SOLIDSHIELD CONTENT PROTECTION TECHNOLOGY. (WWW.SOLIDSHIELD.COM). GAME CAN BE PLAYED ON UP TO FIVE COMPUTERS AT THE SAME TIME; USERS CAN MANAGE WHICH COMPUTERS ARE AUTHORIZED OR DE-AUTHORIZED TO PLAY GAME. VISIT http://activate.ea.com/deauthorize/ FOR MORE INFORMATION ON DE-AUTHORIZATION. EA MAY PROVIDE CERTAIN INCREMENTAL CONTENT AND/OR UPDATES FOR NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, IF AND WHEN AVAILABLE.

theBishop

Banned
Good price on Dead Space 2, but I already got the PS3 version.

Picked up the Crysis megapack yesterday. Seems good so far, not quite the visual watermark everyone says in my opinion, but the game design is better than expected. The suit basically makes you the Predator. I don't think any game has pulled this off before.

apana said:
What type of scary is Dead Space? Sustained psychological terror like System Shock 2 or more like monsters jumping out at you when you didn't expect it?

I'd say more of the latter, but the environments definitely add some sustained psychological terror if that's what you are looking for. Very creepy atmosphere in both games that really add to the overall experience. Overall, I'd say its a good 60/40 mix, maybe 70/30, depending on how you look at it.

It's a fantastic series and worth checking out, regardless of what you're into (or not into) when it comes to scares.

DeVeAn

Got to keep control. I know I will love Dead Space 2 but the most I have spent on a steam game was $12. My rule was nothing above $10. I better just continue Borderlands.

apana said:
They say on the Steam page that they are requiring SolidShield for DS2. Here it is on the online disclaimer section:

Yeah, I dunno. I got it on EADM and I do not remember having to activate it. I thought it just had SecuRom or something. I really don't pay much attention to shit like that, to be honest.

theBishop

Banned
DeVeAn said:
Got to keep control. I know I will love Dead Space 2 but the most I have spent on a steam game was $12. My rule was nothing above $10. I better just continue Borderlands.

We should get some 4-player gaf coop together. I played the shit out of the PS3 version in split-screen, but I picked up the Steam sale a few weeks back. I've never played coop with more than 2 people.

I'm glad I waited past the EA.com sale. Picked up Dragon Age 2, both Dead Space games, and Crysis and Crysis Warhead.

Have put 10 hours into Dragon Age 2 so far and am really enjoying it.

1-D_FTW

theBishop said:

Picked up the Crysis megapack yesterday. Seems good so far, not quite the visual watermark everyone says in my opinion, but the game design is better than expected. The suit basically makes you the Predator. I don't think any game has pulled this off before.

Are you modding it? Crysis always looked MUCH better with mods (and, double bonus, ran better with them too).

Jibber Hack said:
I'm glad I waited past the EA.com sale. Picked up Dragon Age 2, both Dead Space games, and Crysis and Crysis Warhead.

Have put 10 hours into Dragon Age 2 so far and am really enjoying it.

Speaking of DA2, it's $30 on Amazon today for anyone who's interested.

Eh, bought DS2 online (retail) for 9 pounds, certainly beats the 18 pounds on Steam. Can be activated via EADM. Around 10 pounds is the right price imo, feels like a sophisticated expansion pack. I also had problems forcing AA (ATI) so was stuck with the edge blurring the game provides - not pretty.

Ickman3400 said:
The last chapter and a half though are pretty nuts though. No spoilers but the formula definitely changes.
It's still not scary.

apana said:
What type of scary is Dead Space? Sustained psychological terror like System Shock 2 or more like monsters jumping out at you when you didn't expect it?
The latter, although it's quite obvious where monsters will jump you.

Gandie

1-D_FTW said:
Are you modding it? Crysis always looked MUCH better with mods (and, double bonus, ran better with them too).

Do you have some recommendations for must-have mods. I looked in the OT, but there doesn't seem to be much mod-discussion. I found this thread but it's a month old and a lot of links are down. Since you brought up the mods, maybe you could give a hint, which ones to install and where to find them.

DeVeAn

theBishop said:
We should get some 4-player gaf coop together. I played the shit out of the PS3 version in split-screen, but I picked up the Steam sale a few weeks back. I've never played coop with more than 2 people.
Sounds good. I have lots of free time during the week, let me know.

LocoMrPollock said:
Yeah, I dunno. I got it on EADM and I do not remember having to activate it. I thought it just had SecuRom or something. I really don't pay much attention to shit like that, to be honest.
When I uninstalled it I was asked whether I wanted to revoke the activation. Bought a retail copy.

Kuran

Banned
Not sure why I bought DS1, is it a good windows port?

For 5USD its hard to argue..

PS, Crysis 1 runs great on High settings (using its own auto-config) on a Macbook Pro i7 2011. Even when running it in 1920x ??? resolution on an external NEC screen. Might get even better performance if I figured out how to install 64bit Windows 7.

Shahadan

ClosingADoor said:
Already have Dead Space and not interested in 2 at this price. Was hoping for Battlefield :(

They keep it for sunday. Last sale + sunday + a lot of people at home = sales potential x 316416 and easy advertising for BF3

apana

Does Steam automatically determine how fast my internet connection is? It says it will take 8 hours to download. lol

Kuran

Banned
apana said:
Does Steam automatically determine how fast my internet connection is? It says it will take 8 hours to download. lol

You can change this in the settings, download-region and modem speed.

Carm

LocoMrPollock said:

Solidshield=TAGES DRM. Just a different name to make it sound better. My half-assed comment, was more a general statement in regards to console to pc ports.

Also, I would consider DS2 a half-assed port since EA doesn't support 90% of their PC games with the DLC available on the consoles(yes, I know about the file that unlocks it). Did they eventually add this in a patch? I'm seeing one article stating so. This was after players made the save though, so they forced EA's hand. Looks like Severed isn't coming to pc, just the suits/weapons dlc?

Salsa

kinda bummed about (probably) battlefield day tomorrow. Already own Bad Company 2 on GamersGate and no plans to pre-order BF3 yet..

was hoping for a mixed bag. Mirrors Edge and Burnout or something like that :( and fuckin Deathspank.

Oh well

getting Dead Space 1 today, gonna wait on DS2. I played DS1 right up until the end and my save got corrupted, lets see if i have the courage to go through it all over again, lol.

1-D_FTW

LeadGandalf said:
Do you have some recommendations for must-have mods. I looked in the OT, but there doesn't seem to be much mod-discussion. I found this thread but it's a month old and a lot of links are down. Since you brought up the mods, maybe you could give a hint, which ones to install and where to find them.

I didn't include anything because I'm not up to date. My old install is gone. I know the Cuban mod used to be considered the best by many (and what I always used). And on my data drive, I also have a "Helder" folder (which I must have downloaded because of praise). I would just bump the official thread and ask people what's considered the gold standard now-a-days.

Carm

robatw said:
wondering too

is it good with mouse+keybord? whats with xbox pad?

It's a bad port. When I say bad, I don't mean it's not mostly fixable by the player. Keep the vsync off in game and use D3Doverrider to turn on vsync/triple buffering and mouse control is mostly fine, but not what it should be. In game vsync, game is unplayable with a mouse. Also, disable/unplug any controller you have, if you plan on using m+kb. For some reason on my system with the 360 wired plugged in, the mouse controls fuck up.

apana

Kuran said:
You can change this in the settings, download-region and modem speed.

Thanks, I changed it and started the download process again but the speed remained the same. I guess my internet connection here really is that slow.

MRORANGE

you can now add your gaming videos from youtube to steam.

you need to login with your youtube account in steam to post your video's, you can then select which video is for what game you own (you can also add non listed steam games)

at the moment there is just a link to your profile if you have video's

coopolon

SalsaShark said:
kinda bummed about (probably) battlefield day tomorrow. Already own Bad Company 2 on GamersGate and no plans to pre-order BF3 yet..

was hoping for a mixed bag. Mirrors Edge and Burnout or something like that :( and fuckin Deathspank.

Oh well

getting Dead Space 1 today, gonna wait on DS2. I played DS1 right up until the end and my save got corrupted, lets see if i have the courage to go through it all over again, lol.

That really sucks because the game actually has a pretty good new game + version where you get all your old upgraded guns and armor.

Gandie

SalsaShark said:

Oh well

I can see them doing this kind of mixed bag thing and including BC2 + BF2. I don't think 2142 is even on Steam (didn't find it via the search) and I doubt they'll have a huge discount on a BF3 preorder, when it's so far out.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
theBishop said:

I usually don't bother with mods, but I did the 'high res foliage' one for crysis. Improves it a lot. Didn't do any of the others.

robatw said:
wondering too

is it good with mouse+keybord? whats with xbox pad?
Played through 1 and 2 with m+k. I always force VSync and triple buffering through overrider so that helps. There are still some headscratchers though. For instance there is no proper mouse support in the rig screen, you basically emulate a stick by pressing middle mouse button. I just used the keyboard, faster and less hassle. Mouse still feels a bit off but that's just the bitter reality for most of the console ports.

Nabs

LeadGandalf said:
There you go. A "Battlefield-Day" with only two games discounted would be a bit dissappointing as the finale of the EA week.
Last year they had a Military Day. If you bought BF2 and BC2, you got access to the MOH Beta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom