• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

apana

If my internet goes down and I start it back up again later will Steam just keep downloading from whatever percentage it was previously at? Right now it's at 15 percent, only 6 more hours to go!

Weenerz

Banned
apana said:
If my internet goes down and I start it back up again later will Steam just keep downloading from whatever percentage it was previously at? Right now it's at 15 percent, only 6 more hours to go!

Usually, yes.

Gandie

Atomski said:
Noob question.. Is there a way to stop Steam from pausing downloads when I play games?

Pause the download
Start the game
Alt+Tab to Steam and resume

That's the only way to do it right now.

vixlar

Now I see that if you buy a Special Edition (or whatever it is called) of Deus Ex 3, they gift you Deus Ex 1. My question is... do you think that they are going to put Deus Ex 1 on sale for "celebrate" the launch of Deus Ex 3? I've seen sometimes they do things like that.

I want to try Deus Ex 1.

Zimbardo

grabbed Dead Space 2. $23 is good enough for me.

even if it does drop to $19 at some point in the next few months, its not much of a difference.

i really liked DS1, so i'm quite interested to play through part2.

vixlar said:
Now I see that if you buy a Special Edition (or whatever it is called) of Deus Ex 3, they gift you Deus Ex 1. My question is... do you think that they are going to put Deus Ex 1 on sale for "celebrate" the launch of Deus Ex 3? I've seen sometimes they do things like that.

I want to try Deus Ex 1.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the goty version go on sale this summer, or sometime before 3 comes out. It's on sale somewhat frequently and it's usually around $2-$2.50 I think.

vixlar said:

I want to try Deus Ex 1.
Well as long as you're not dying to play it now I would wait, as I'm sure it will go on sale sometime between now and August.

apana

Battlefield Bad Company 2 isn't known for single player correct? The main draw is online multiplayer I guess. Do they have a mode for begginers where they can play online multiplayer but not ultra competetively, just for fun or to mess around?

AEREC

apana said:
Battlefield Bad Company 2 isn't known for single player correct? The main draw is online multiplayer I guess. Do they have a mode for begginers where they can play online multiplayer but not ultra competetively, just for fun or to mess around?

Maybe if you can find a beginners server.

vixlar said:

I want to try Deus Ex 1.
Pretty much every time they have a big event sale, Deus Ex is in there. It's absolutely worth $10. But if you're not really itching to play it right away, you can probably expect to see it packaged with Invisible War (which isn't a horrible game, but it suffers severly from the the fact that it was an OG-Xbox-era port) for like $5 during the summer sale in a month or two.

The_Technomancer said:
Was there ever a fix for the infamous Dead Space mouse control issues? If so, I'll definitely bite at 5 bucks.
Considering people were still talking about it earlier in the thread I doubt it.

apana said:
Yeah nobody plays Bad Company 2 for the singleplayer and there's no beginner multiplayer mode.

Really hope tomorrow is Battlefield day but I have a bad feeling it's going to end up being an encore of the best sales of the week.

Quick question, how sure are we that there is going to be a Summer sale? Got a growing wishlist that needs cleaned up.

thefil

The_Technomancer said:
Was there ever a fix for the infamous Dead Space mouse control issues? If so, I'll definitely bite at 5 bucks.

Disable vertical sync, or enable triple buffering via D3DOverrider.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I'm a sucker for 5 dollar games. I had no interest in playing Dead Space but if I get even 2 hours out of it, I'm still getting more "game" for my buck than most of my console games.

Kuran

Banned
Holy shit. Apple should advertise that Crysis runs _AMAZINGLY WELL_ on high settings at native resolution on a 15 inch Macbook Pro with i7 cpu. I never would have guessed. The fans didn't even kick in whilst I drove the SUV on top of the shack in the first area.

Simple firefights are so much fun because of the many variables at play, reminds me of Deus Ex. I'm looking forward to dying so I can tackle a conflict in a different way, simply incredible fun! The 'powers' of my suit are hard to use because my energy runs out in two seconds, I imagine the time increases as the game progresses?

What are the mods to try out? Did that Mechwalker mod ever reach playable state?

So if Crysis 1 runs great, I should expect Crysis 2 to do the same?

Oreoleo

Kuran said:
Holy shit. Apple should advertise that Crysis runs _AMAZINGLY WELL_ on high settings at native resolution on a 15 inch Macbook Pro with i7 cpu. I never would have guessed.

Crysis 2 will run better.

Kuran said:
Holy shit. Apple should advertise that Crysis runs _AMAZINGLY WELL_ on high settings at native resolution on a 15 inch Macbook Pro with i7 cpu. I never would have guessed. The fans didn't even kick in whilst I drove the SUV on top of the shack in the first area.

Simple firefights are so much fun because of the many variables at play, reminds me of Deus Ex. I'm looking forward to dying so I can tackle a conflict in a different way, simply incredible fun! The 'powers' of my suit are hard to use because my energy runs out in two seconds, I imagine the time increases as the game progresses?

What are the mods to try out? Did that Mechwalker mod ever reach playable state?

Switching to Armor mode makes your energy recover quicker as long as you're not getting hit.

Kuran

Banned
CrookedRain said:
Switching to Armor mode makes your energy recover quicker as long as you're not getting hit.

So it's basically getting used to constantly managing your suit powers?
What key should I use for this to be comfortable? Currently I'm using the mousewheel button and that doesn't really feel great.. maybe I should sacrifice leaning and use the Q and E buttons for grenades and suit management.

geeko

Kuran said:
So it's basically getting used to constantly managing your suit powers?
What key should I use for this to be comfortable? Currently I'm using the mousewheel button and that doesn't really feel great.. maybe I should sacrifice leaning and use the Q and E buttons for grenades and suit management.

Go to options and turn on suit shortcuts (I think that's what it is called)

this is the way it is meant to be played.

edit:

Make sure you have the "Suit Shortcuts" option enabled on the keyboard settings
You can then "double tap" the following default keys to access the different Crysis suit modes

Jump (spacebar) = Strength
Sprint (shift) = Speed
Move Backwards (s) = Armor
Crouch (ctrl) = Cloak

Salsa

zombieshavebrains said:
Last summer was the first summer sale but lets hope it becomes annual like the winter one.

Shit, i was confusing summer with winter lolol

But yeah the perils of summer was a huge success, no doubt they'll do it again.

Kuran

Banned
geeko420 said:
Go to options and turn on suit shortcuts (I think that's what it is called)

this is the way it is meant to be played.

edit:

Make sure you have the "Suit Shortcuts" option enabled on the keyboard settings
You can then "double tap" the following default keys to access the different Crysis suit modes

Jump (spacebar) = Strength
Sprint (shift) = Speed
Move Backwards (s) = Armor
Crouch (ctrl) = Cloak

That's great, thanks!

(._.)

Banned
zombieshavebrains said:
Last summer was the first summer sale but lets hope it becomes annual like the winter one.
Really hope so also. Hopefully Crysis 2 will be like $20 for a day so I can play through the campaign in and be glad I got a good deal on it.

Just purchased Deadspace 2. Also got the first 1st one also which was stupid. No idea why I added it to my cart. No big loss at least.

MRORANGE

If Steam were to have another summer sale I wish they would incoperate gamplay or solving puzzles to get discounts; example get an achievement in a game will get you an extra 15% off the games on sale that day.

LegoDad

Kuran said:

Go into the .ini file and change how the power drains. I did that in Crysis 1 and it made the game so much better. Warhead so far is much much better than Crysis 1. Though I still feel the suit drains too quickly.

Kuran

Banned
caliblue15 said:
Go into the .ini file and change how the power drains. I did that in Crysis 1 and it made the game so much better. Warhead so far is much much better than Crysis 1. Though I still feel the suit drains too quickly.

Hm, are there any maps in Warhead that have the vibe of the opening level of Crysis 1? I'm really going to hate having to fight aliens in the snow.. I want my blue sky island fun!

MRORANGE said:
If Steam were to have another summer sale I wish they would incoperate gamplay or solving puzzles to get discounts; example get an achievement in a game will get you an extra 15% off the games on sale that day.

That would be such an evil sale. Like how they did that thing last year where you bought games on sale and earned achievements in them to get entries into a big contest and a mini per day contest.

MRORANGE said:

Forgive my memory, but didn't they do something very similar to that during the "Treasure Hunt" thing a while back?

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
How are the controls on Dead Space 2 with mouse & keyboard? I thought I remember people saying it was janky but maybe that was DS1 or something else.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
The_Technomancer said:
Playing without vsync isn't an option, so I guess I'll triple buffer it.
The problem is the in-game VS, so you disable it, then let D3D take care of both VS and TB.

coopolon

DarkSoul520 said:
Forgive my memory, but didn't they do something very similar to that during the "Treasure Hunt" thing a while back?

If I recall correctly, by completing the objectives you were entered in a raffle to win prizes. But the discounts were for everyone.

Dwayne

coopolon said:
If I recall correctly, by completing the objectives you were entered in a raffle to win prizes. But the discounts were for everyone.

and you got hats, which was the "worthwhile" bit. Competing against a million people for a couple of prizes, not so worthwhile. Was still fun though :)

Gvaz

Banned
Jibber Hack said:
I'm glad I waited past the EA.com sale. Picked up Dragon Age 2, both Dead Space games, and Crysis and Crysis Warhead.

Have put 10 hours into Dragon Age 2 so far and am really enjoying it.
Wait till you get to act 2 and you have to do the same thing over again you did in act 1, and also in act 3! with a shitty ending!

Also none of your choices matter and it's probably the worst game of 2011 so far.
Mattdaddy said:
How are the controls on Dead Space 2 with mouse & keyboard? I thought I remember people saying it was janky but maybe that was DS1 or something else.
The_Technomancer said:
Playing without vsync isn't an option, so I guess I'll triple buffer it.

Turn off vsync in game, turn on vsync either in D3Doverrider or in your graphics card control panel.

Fixes everything.

Salsa

hXATl.png

WHAT HAVE I DONE

got it by trading some extras i had though

probably gonna get 1 as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom