• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluth54

industrian said:
Quick (possibly stupid) question:

I'm going back home to the UK for a while and then will come back to Taiwan. If I were to buy a game in the UK that's only on the UK store (Football Manager, for example) would it be available to download it when I get back to Taiwan?
As far as I know as long as you own a game on steam you can download it anywhere.

Echoplx

industrian said:
Quick (possibly stupid) question:

I'm going back home to the UK for a while and then will come back to Taiwan. If I were to buy a game in the UK that's only on the UK store (Football Manager, for example) would it be available to download it when I get back to Taiwan?

Might be worth contacting Steam support and telling them you need your account 'unlocked' because you will be buying games while on holiday.

I've found Super Meat Boy to be an infinitely more enjoyable experience now that I have a gaming pad. The only reason I die now is because of my own fumbling ineptitude. Now that I have a gaming pad I can start playing some racing games and am looking for some recommendations.

I've downloaded the demo for Fuel and enjoyed what I played, at 10$ it's pretty hard to pass up. That will probably be the first racing game purchase. I was kind of shocked to see that there's no demo for the more recent Need For Speeds, specifically Hot Pursuit. I'm even more annoyed with myself that I didn't buy the game now.

I was a big fan of the old PS1 Codemasters Colin McRae rally racers so I think I'll just pre-order Dirt 3.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
jaundicejuice said:
I've found Super Meat Boy to be an infinitely more enjoyable experience now that I have a gaming pad. The only reason I die now is because of my own fumbling ineptitude. Now that I have a gaming pad I can start playing some racing games and am looking for some recommendations.

I've downloaded the demo for Fuel and enjoyed what I played, at 10$ it's pretty hard to pass up. That will probably be the first racing game purchase. I was kind of shocked to see that there's no demo for the more recent Need For Speeds, specifically Hot Pursuit. I'm even more annoyed with myself that I didn't buy the game now.

I was a big fan of the old PS1 Codemasters Colin McRae rally racers so I think I'll just pre-order Dirt 3.

What sort of racing games are you looking for? The super simmy side of things is sort of sparse PC-side, but you can make things like DiRT or Shift serviceable. If you like the more arcadey racers, just about anything from Criterion's a treat, as well as Trackmania. And of course some games with incidental driving but no racing focus (read: GTA IV) tend to feel better on a pad.

Gah, brainfart. Yes, I should've specified that I tend to enjoy racing games that lean more towards the arcade experience than I do sim. I loved the older Ridge Racer games, specifically Type 4 and the early Colin McRae games, even though they were kind of sim-y, because rally racing is simply bad ass. I love flying blind at some ridiculous speed through the back roads of some Norwegian village and careening off of trees or flying into a ditch, much to my robo navigator's frustration and terror.

Dirt 3 looks like it'll be pretty fun. I'm going to download Dirt 2's demo to get a taste of what the series is like now.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
jaundicejuice said:
Gah, brainfart. Yes, I should've specified that I tend to enjoy racing games that lean more towards the arcade experience than I do sim. I loved the older Ridge Racer games, specifically Type 4 and the early Colin McRae games, even though they were kind of sim-y, because rally racing is simply bad ass. I love flying blind at some ridiculous speed through the back roads of some Norwegian village and careening off of trees or flying into a ditch, much to my robo navigator's frustration and terror.

Dirt 3 looks like it'll be pretty fun. I'm going to download Dirt 2's demo to get a taste of what the series is like now.
Get Burnout Paradise.

InertiaXr

jaundicejuice said:
because rally racing is simply bad ass.

Just go buy Dirt 2 if you have any desire to play a rally racing game, it is absolutely phenomenal. Don't bother downloading a demo beforehand, just buy it.

So the short list is...

Burnout Paradise
Dirt 2
Fuel

InertiaXr said:
Just go buy Dirt 2 if you have any desire to play a rally racing game, it is absolutely phenomenal. Don't bother downloading a demo beforehand, just buy it.

Even with Dirt 3 coming out so soon?

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
jaundicejuice said:

In that case, my highest recommendation is Burnout Paradise. Bar none my favorite racing game of all time, and has probably ~15-20 hours of content to play through to completion and maybe ~30-40 hours to truly get 100% on everything. It has tons of variety - road rages where you fight head to head against other cars and try to crash them off the road, standard races, burning laps that are essentially time trials, marked man missions where you simply try to survive to another point on the map, stunt missions where you try to do crazy jumps and spins, billboards to smash, super jumps to find, and shortcuts to discover. There's also a "super parking" minigame and every road in the open world has a speed to beat and a "crash mode" to complete. It also has a more or less amazing soundtrack composed essentially of three different OSTs: a compendium of previous Burnout music (mostly techno/electronic stuff), a large assortment of your standard EA Trax pop rock fare, and a ton of classical music. If there's any complaints to be had it's that the online store has been taken offline, they never ported Big Surf Island to the PC (which is an absolute shame) and the online is pretty much dead this late in the game. Still, it's an amazing open world experience and an excellent racer to boot.

Alternately, Hot Pursuit is sort of the love child of Burnout and Need for Speed. It's made by Criterion, who are the guys behind Burnout, and the boost system is lifted basically verbatim from Burnout. However, the handling is a bit more realistic in the NFS fashion (think Project Gotham, sort of - not "realistic" but the vehicles have way more weight than they did in Burnout) and the cars are all the fancy licensed variety. There are some balance issues and the soundtrack sort of sucks and is mixed to be almost silent to compensate. But it's also absolutely gorgeous in motion, and while there are times where it makes me want to slam my controller into the wall, when it works it really really works. There's something about dodging a wreck only to pass through a police roadblock without incident and shoot across the road into a shortcut that is just exhilarating.

Trackmania is... well it's crazy and fun. There's a free version up on Steam, but it lacks tons of content from the full version. The coolest thing about the game is that it's sort of all racing games in one - you don't get a ton of car variety in each race type, but each type feels wildly different. There are some vehicles that feel a bit like Outrun, some that feel a bit like Burnout sans boosting, and some that feel almost like Mario Kart. It's also insanely goofy - you'll do jumps across entire city blocks, drive upside down and through loop-de-loops, that sort of thing. It's a highly skill driven, mission-specific racing game. Think of it as Super Monkey Ball meets driving games.

InertiaXr

jaundicejuice said:
So the short list is...

Burnout Paradise
Dirt 2
Fuel

Even with Dirt 3 coming out so soon?

Yeah, you may want to wait and see if there is any kind of sale on 2 for the release of 3.

My point is, it's awesome and if you enjoy racing games you will enjoy it.

I felt that Dirt 2 had a bit too many repetitive stadium circuit races and a bit too few proper rallies. Also, it has like ten minutes of introductory animated menus and unskippable cinemas before you can even change the resolution. But overall, it is a pretty competent game. I don't regret paying $5 for it in the last holiday sale.

desu

I would wait for summer sale with potential racing pack or Codemaster pack to get all their racing games (if you dont need them now).

InertiaXr

MacGurcules said:
I felt that Dirt 2 had a bit too many repetitive stadium circuit races and a bit too few proper rallies. Also, it has like ten minutes of introductory animated menus and unskippable cinemas before you can even change the resolution. But overall, it is a pretty competent game. I don't regret paying $5 for it in the last holiday sale.

Yes I agree, a lot of nonsense in it. Dirt 3 is suppose to get rid of a lot of that stuff, like the fully animated main menu thing. I was talking more about the actual rally racing which is awesome. I also paid $5 for it in some sale and agree it was a great deal.

I think I've received some really good recommendations, that have been added to my wishlist but I'm going to wait for the summer sale and see how Dirt 3 does when it's released.

Cheers.

C.T.

I'm not sure anyone already wrote it but Dead Space 2 doesn't appear in the german steam shop. It passed the USK rating after 5 tries and a shitty move by a politician, so it seems EA hates us?

Edit: Perhaps someone is eager to help my? Would gift him a game of his choice close to this price range.

MNC

Awesome, steam updates and such.

- Adding videos to Steam? Fuck yeah! Does this mean we can record videos through the overlay?

- Dead Space oh yeah! Dead Space 2 is cheaper in US land.

MRORANGE

Crytek response on the Steam forums about the Crysis Securom issue:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21031139#post21031139

Hi guys,

Although I don't have much to say on the topic, I thought i'd just post to acknowledge we (Crytek) have seen this thread.

There is no plan to remove SecuROM from Crysis at this time as we're entirely focused on Crysis 2. As for SecuROM and Crysis 2... we haven't said anything about our DRM plans, which includes having said nothing about using SecuROM.

Tom

....wow

Twig

Banned
That's an old post (pre-Crysis 2, obviously), but it's pretty indicative of what I expect is their attitude toward the current situation. "We don't give a fuck!"

They'll do something, I'm sure, but it probably won't be what people actually want.

1-D_FTW

Campster said:
What sort of racing games are you looking for? The super simmy side of things is sort of sparse PC-side, but you can make things like DiRT or Shift serviceable. If you like the more arcadey racers, just about anything from Criterion's a treat, as well as Trackmania. And of course some games with incidental driving but no racing focus (read: GTA IV) tend to feel better on a pad.

I think you mean the super simmy side is non existent on the console side. If you mean the AAA high budget arcade-sims like GT and Forza, then yeah, Shift/Dirt/Grid is as good as you're going to get on PC. But super sims? The PC laughs smugly at the non-existent console side.

1-D_FTW

So you guys are talking about Crysis Wars? I was worried it was Crysis Warhead and loaded it for the first time. Had no problems with it, but WTF at no 16:9 option? I can only choose 4:3 and 1600*1200 is my max resolution available.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Have Battlefield 2 or any of the older ones ever been on sale?

If that happens to day, I would so jump on BF2 for like 5.

Detox said:
This is the post on the steam forums I was talking about where there are some potential solutions for people with the key problems. I don't know if it will work but worth a shot, I guess.
Just tried it. No dice.

I realize it was only seven bucks, but it still feels like fucking money wasted. At this point, I don't even care about Crytek's shitty, anti-consumer DRM policies because at least those people are able to start the game up.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
MNC said:
Awesome, steam updates and such.

- Adding videos to Steam? Fuck yeah! Does this mean we can record videos through the overlay?

- Dead Space oh yeah! Dead Space 2 is cheaper in US land.

No, you link your youtube account to your steam account and can pick which videos you want to show up.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
MRORANGE said:
Crytek response on the Steam forums about the Crysis Securom issue:
That guy's post history is pretty hilarious.

Crytek dude said:
To address the OP...

Crysis 2 is definitely not a console port, however rather than taking my word for it, why not play the PC demo being released tomorrow and see for yourself before speculating?
And then came no graphics options and "Press Start to play."

If BF BC2 is cheap enough today I may buy again just so that I own the Steamworks version. I'm pretty sure that it will be under $5 - if it's a BF day.

I am really going to regret not getting someone to gift me Dead Space 2 while it's $24 but... I'm in no rush to play it, it will come down in price eventually so I am sure that I can wait.

Pity you can't trade in PC games in Australia... if I buy BC2 again it would have been cool to be able to trade the old one in.

Oh well.

How long until the game switches to the new one?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
1-D_FTW said:
So you guys are talking about Crysis Wars? I was worried it was Crysis Warhead and loaded it for the first time. Had no problems with it, but WTF at no 16:9 option? I can only choose 4:3 and 1600*1200 is my max resolution available.
There is definitely 16:9 support native.

Proc said:
dead space 2 isn't cheap enough for me to double dip. Once it hits $10 I'd love to see how it runs on my rig.
The game is not very demanding, ran smooth like butter on my quadcore AMD and 5850. But if you are using ATI (maybe this applies to Nvidia cards as well, dunno) forcing AA will do funky things to the in-game cutscenes so you will have to live with edge blurring unfortunately. Maybe there is a workaround and some insightful GAFer shares?

1-D_FTW

Stallion Free said:
There is definitely 16:9 support native.

Weird. I opened it with my Asus VW246 monitor that is 1080P native. I'll have to give it another go, but I could swear there weren't any boxes to check for 16:9 support and all the available resolutions were 4:3 that were stretched.

EDIT: Nope. No 16:9 options. Even diabled D3D to make sure that wasn't causing conflicts. First game I've had any such issues since I purchased this monitor.

Repgnar

Is it confirmed/hinted that today is going to be a BF sale? Haven't been following much but is everyone just guessing at this point? Still showing the Saturday sale for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom