• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dead Space 2 is a phenomenal game, especially if you have played 1. Playing 1 allows you to understand some of the back story references in 2, as well as the vast improvements.

If you've played 1, didn't like it, and are on the fence about getting 2, I wouldn't get it. Although there are improvements in 2, the core gameplay is the same.

epmode

Two questions about Dead Space 2:

1. Is the music as ridiculous as it was in part 1? Those sledgehammer orchestra blasts forced me to disable the music and I wound up liking it a lot more.

2. How are the difficulty levels? Similar to the first game, drastically easier or harder?

epmode said:
Two questions about Dead Space 2:

1. Is the music as ridiculous as it was in part 1? Those sledgehammer orchestra blasts forced me to disable the music and I wound up liking it a lot more.

2. How are the difficulty levels? Similar to the first game, drastically easier or harder?

If you didn't enjoy the orchestra in 1 than you're probably not going to like it much in 2.

As for the difficulty, I felt it was about the same.

Gvaz

Banned
Dead space is easy on normal except for the part right before the final boss fight

game is easy as piss with fully upgraded stuff however even on impossible

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Gvaz said:
Dead space is easy on normal except for the part right before the final boss fight

game is easy as piss with fully upgraded stuff however even on impossible
The first few levels of Dead Space on hard are like being kicked in the nuts repeatedly. But I'm still glad I didn't start on normal.

Salsa

Anyone wanna trade my copy of Day of Defeat: Source for Dead Space 1 ?

I reckon its a better deal for the aussies since DOD tends to go for something like 3.75 during sales as well.

LegoDad

Kuran said:
Hm, are there any maps in Warhead that have the vibe of the opening level of Crysis 1? I'm really going to hate having to fight aliens in the snow.. I want my blue sky island fun!

Warhead is about the other nano suit and what happened while you ran off in Crysis 1.

Zimbardo

i don't know if anyone brought this up already, but Dead Space 2 was locked at 30 frames per second when i first tried it.

i was like 'wtf is going on here??' ...i was expecting maxed out detail @ 1080p, 60fps, with vsync, but instead got a stuttering mess.

anyway, a quick google search later and i found this ...

Yeah the problem with Dead Space 2 is if you leave the setting with Vsync on in game options, it will cap FPS to 30.

Go to your nVidia control and Force Vsync, then uncheck Vsync option in the game, this will remover the "cap" of 30FPS.

so turn off Vsync in game, and enable it via your video card drivers, or use D3Doverrider (which is what i'm using).

runs 60+fps maxed out @ 1080p with vsync now ...perfect!

chixdiggit

Can someone talk me in/out of Dead Space 1? I beat it on console when it first released. Should I play it again on PC before I dive into Dead Space 2 for the first time? It's not a matter of money it's a matter of time.

Salsa

chixdiggit said:
Can someone talk me in/out of Dead Space 1? I beat it on console when it first released. Should I play it again on PC before I dive into Dead Space 2 for the first time? It's not a matter of money it's a matter of time.

No, why would you play it again ? start with 2

mojiimbo

I was hoping the issues with the mouse controls in Dead Space were overblown but they seem to be as awful as everybody makes them out to be, even with Vsync and triple buffering through D3DO. Are there any other EA games plagued by this?

chixdiggit

So can anyone offer any tips on the Overhaul 2 mod for Shift? i followed the guide and unpacked the files but game crashes on start up. Am I right in adding -loose in the Steam start up options for the game? Do I have to add the -loose to anything else? I have tried unpacking 3 times all with the same result.

SalsaShark said:
No, why would you play it again ? start with 2
Good enough. Thanks.

RedSwirl

Detox

I don't think it's the DRM servers reading the steam forums some guys had this problem around January as well. If you do a google search you can probably find the thread where a valve employee confirms the problem and said it was fixed. Obviously it hasn't been fixed. There are also potential solutions in that thread that many users said works. I'm really sorry but I'm on a mobile browser and can't find the link atm, but a google search will do it.

coopolon

RedSwirl said:
I just came here to ask a question about that:

Am I doing any good by backing up my Steam games on DVDs? Like, if I choose to reinstall from a backup, can I do so with Steam in offline mode?

No. the only good you are doing is saving bandwidth for a later time i.e. if you want to reinstall you don't have to download it again. And even this not guaranteed because sometimes when you try to install from a disc it just downloads the whole game again anyway.

Now, the other option is if Steam ever goes down for some reason, the hope is by a combination of having the game sbacked up to discs and using some kind of crack you could still play your games. But I don't think such a thing exists currently.

apana

The fact that Crytek refuses to remove SecuRom on all their games when even EA has done so is just really stubborn. Anyways I finally downloaded Dead Space, more than 7 long hours but my satisfaction is immense. I'll play it later tonight.

Salsa

SalsaShark said:
hXATl.png

WHAT HAVE I DONE

ZWjZg.png

fuckin steam

coopolon

~Kinggi~ said:
Ah the joys of the future when all these online activated games have their servers go offline and basically everyone is shit outta luck!

Anyone who can manage to use a internet browser will still be able to play their games. But it will be annoying to have to find nocd keys and more modern variations for every game. Whenever I download games from anything but Steam I've actually started packing them together with my favorite mods and whatever relevant DRM circumvention files and back the folder up to a DVD to make life easier next time I install the game.

Fredescu

LocoMrPollock said:
Actually you buy a "subscription" on Steam. None of us actually own any of our games..heh.
That's a nice theory, but once you've downloaded it, you're a cracked exe away from not caring.

Fredescu said:
That's a nice theory, but once you've downloaded it, you're a cracked exe away from not caring.

It's not a theory, but yeah, that's kind of my attitude as well. One reason I could give a shit less about DRM in general.

Gvaz

Banned
LocoMrPollock said:
Actually you buy a "subscription" on Steam. None of us actually own any of our games..heh.
Implying I won't casually flip the bird while downloading a no-cd for all the games I legally own.

apana

I don't mind Steam, it's the third party DRM that I can't handle. Batman Arkham Asylum, Bioshock 2, Assassin's Creed 2, Crysis, and Dead Space 2 are just some of the games with third party DRM on Steam. Stuff like SecuRom is basically malware and has fucked up operating systems, disc drives, games, etc. Not to mention that the older versions are notoriously tricky to get out of your computer. I've even heard some say that it can never be completely removed. There is just no need for it.

SalsaShark said:
ZWjZg.png

fuckin steam

Thanks me :)

hehe.

So Dead Space 2 is $24 for Americans?

Fuck... I've spent too much money on games this week and not enough on food, but I don't get paid until Thursday.

I would really like to own Dead Space 2 for $24... but can't afford to pay anyone for it until Thursday :/

If anyone feels nice enough to lend me the money via a gift until thursday I would be greatly greatful.

Visualante said:
The Crysis DRM servers are down, stopping people who just bought it from installing it. Bitorrent, however, is still up.

Why I continue to not buy games with DRM, including EA's own Crysis for a mere £3. Why should legitimate customers be spat on?

Ha ha, holy fuck. If they turned those servers off, they should have patched the SecuROM out of the bloody game.

I wonder if I can install my retail copy of the game still. It will be on a new machine, so it will be the second of my five activations.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Quick (possibly stupid) question:

I'm going back home to the UK for a while and then will come back to Taiwan. If I were to buy a game in the UK that's only on the UK store (Football Manager, for example) would it be available to download it when I get back to Taiwan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom