• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-D_FTW

Actually, 16:9 resolutions such as 1280*720 are in the available options. I just can't go any higher than 1600*1200 so 1920*1080 isn't available.

I guess I'll have to figure out how to edit in 1080P when I actually go to play it.

Dmorr07 said:
Is it confirmed/hinted that today is going to be a BF sale? Haven't been following much but what about a Total War sale? My steam browser is still showing the Saturday sale so if it already started disregard this post.

It's not confirmed but it's expected to be BF or command and conquer. Total War isn't EA so it won't be that.

Personally I wish they just had a random non series day so I could get bulletstorm or medal of honor.

Ickman3400 said:
It's not confirmed but it's expected to be BF or command and conquer. Total War isn't EA so it won't be that.

Personally I wish they just had a random non series day so I could get bulletstorm or medal of honor.
Maybe they'll end with a bang by putting up all the Medal of Honor titles and having them on sale.

LOL, yeah right.

How about at least a decent price at the most recent MoH?

I'm guessing today is pretty much Bad Company/Battlefield day. I already have those :(

Not like it's worth owning. EA/DICE are horrible when it comes to post release updates. I also like the fact that I can join a server with a ping of 55, yet every user in the server is at 120+. If Battlefield 3 is anything like this, I want nothing to do with it.

1-D_FTW

BloodySinner said:
Not like it's worth owning. EA/DICE are horrible when it comes to post release updates. I also like the fact that I can join a server with a ping of 55, yet every user in the server is at 120+. If Battlefield 3 is anything like this, I want nothing to do with it.

My memory is foggy on this, but hasn't this always been the case? I can't remember any BF games where the server browser didn't suck hardcore.

coopolon

1-D_FTW said:
Actually, 16:9 resolutions such as 1280*720 are in the available options. I just can't go any higher than 1600*1200 so 1920*1080 isn't available.

I guess I'll have to figure out how to edit in 1080P when I actually go to play it.

It's been awhile, but I seem to recall sometimes you have to click down on the drop down menu to get to the higher resolutions, but it's not obvious how you are supposed to click down to get to those resolutions so you think you've gone as far as you can but really you haven't. I don't know, this doesn't make much sense, but I remember thinking I couldn't get higher resolutions in Crysis/Crysis Warhead but really I could just had to somehow scroll down in the drop down menu.

My memory is foggy on this, but hasn't this always been the case? I can't remember any BF games where the server browser didn't suck hardcore.

There was an issue at launch where you couldn't even fucking view the server pings. The later fix was to run the game as an administrator. I don't know where DICE got it's praise, but I confirm they're highly overrated.

Odd that people are running into problems with the current Crysis deal. When it was on sale (for the same price) in the recent winter sale, people had no issues whatsoever with installing and playing of either title (including Wars).

I myself have only seen a note on the activation thing and that was it. Wierd issue, but even stranger that Crytek does not take the five minutes (or whatever) to remove an awful DRM from their technological classic. (for some years to follow, at least)

Detox

Both games support 1080p maybe they are detecting your monitor as 1600x1200 which is why it isn't allowing you to go beyond that.

apana

Gvaz said:
So what's the issue with Crysis's DRM?

It's basically malware and doesn't do anything to prevent piracy. The current issue seems to be that people can't actually play the games they downloaded because one of their servers are down.

Yoritomo

apana said:
It's basically malware and doesn't do anything to prevent piracy. The current issue seems to be that people can't actually play the games they downloaded because one of their servers are down.

Correct.

The securom activation requires that you enter the CD-Key and activate the game via their proprietary system.

Something is broken and lots of people can't even activate the game.

Gandie

jaundicejuice said:
So the short list is...

Burnout Paradise
Dirt 2
Fuel

Even with Dirt 3 coming out so soon?

Try Trackmania:Nations Forever. It's free and has a ton of community content already out there.

1-D_FTW

Detox said:
Both games support 1080p maybe it is detecting your monitor as 1600x1200 which is why it isn't allowing you to go beyond that.

AZaLM.jpg

That's what's it's doing. For some reason my control panel separates the resolutions into two groups. The majority are listed under PC (which is where Crysis is building its list from), and 1080P is under the HD, SD section. I'll figure out how to edit it in when I go to play. I know this is it, because 1600*1200 & 1680*1050 are the last two supported resolutions listed in Crysis. That's not a coincidence.

MRORANGE

Gvaz said:
So what's the issue with Crysis's DRM?

Crysis warhead is fine it has a revoke tool after the 5 install limit has been reached, it's crysis which does not have the revoke tool and will not let you play after 5 those installs.

granted 5 installs seems ok, but consider the fact if I bought the game from steam I would have used one from xp, one for win7 install, one for my laptop, so you see it adds up pretty quickly and this was only in one year.

Crytek have also stated that this problem is not on there list of priorities and tbh most likely will never get fixed.

apana said:

malware? Does it do anything really bad other than game issues like the one you said? I don't want it fucking with my computer or anything like that...

1-D_FTW

Ickman3400 said:
malware? Does it do anything really bad other than game issues like the one you said? I don't want it fucking with my computer or anything like that...

It doesn't fuck it up wholesale like malware is designed to, but when it goes sideways and doesn't operate as intended, it's a fuckup that's worthy of the malware designate.

apana

Ickman3400 said:

The odds are low that it will actually have a negative impact on your computer, although the older versions like the one in Crysis are prone to more fuck ups. People have complained about it messing up their OS, dvd drives, and even stopping certain games from installing on the system or making the games run slower once they are installed. Also it's not so simple to remove all traces of it from your computer, especially true for the older versions.

BC2 is the dogs! loved the pc beta last year but bought it for the 360 in the end via price deal, game is a lot better on pc but such a great mp game.

So in UK BC2 will be around £6.66, lol

1-D_FTW

ismaboof said:
The last level is confusing?

For 2.50 I doubt I'll ever see the last level. lol. I just for some reason thought this game had really bad hit detection and the enemies were major bullet sponges.

coopolon

Firebrand said:
Is BC2 playable on a dualcore?

Yes, I played through it on an e8400, 4850 at 1200p with no real problems. Not max settings, but probably a mix of medium and high, no AA, and really enjoyed it. Unless you absolutely need 60 fps.

desu

ZZMitch said:
Still says 9.99 for me :(

This is my first day (and last I guess) buying something from this sale, when does it update??

The sale is not live yet, the image is just on their webspace already. The deal starts in about 15min.

airborne is the one where you get to pick your drop points and complete levels how you want to right? I rented that game a few years back on 360 and thought it was pretty good

Also, does it have pad support? I know the newest MoH does.

Firebrand

coopolon said:
Yes, I played through it on an e8400, 4850 at 1200p with no real problems. Not max settings, but probably a mix of medium and high, no AA, and really enjoyed it. Unless you absolutely need 60 fps.

Yeah, got an E8500 here. I can live with 30, I'm just worried it'll be some 10-20 FPS slideshow everytime there's an explosion.

ZZMitch

desu said:
The sale is not live yet, the image is just on their webspace already. The deal starts in about 15min.

Oh alright thanks, I have to leave to go to a mother's day things soon... hopefully I can get this bought and downloading before I have to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom