• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zimbardo

Vietnam still has a following.

was playing it the other night and there were a bunch of players. wasn't a problem finding a game if that's what the worry is about.

Echoplx

DoctorWho said:
Haven't played the Vietnam stuff, but I've found the barrier to entry for BFBC2 a little too high. I like the team focused combat but most players are just too good at this point making the experience a little disappointing.

Still considering giving Vietnam a go though.

Vietnam is alot easier to get into and is much more balanced.

Just wanted to say that Airborne seemed to install just fine. I didn't actually play a mission yet but it made it to the main menu with no apparent issues on my nvidia card and Win 7 64. Everyone was saying it was an install issue anyway so I guess I'm in the clear. Bullet=dodged.

vocab

DoctorWho said:
Haven't played the Vietnam stuff, but I've found the barrier to entry for BFBC2 a little too high. I like the team focused combat but most players are just too good at this point making the experience a little disappointing.

I really hate that excuse. If you want to be good at something, you have to put in the time. BC2 is probably the easiest Battlefield that requires almost no effort, and people still don't know how to play it. It is THE casual Battlefield game (besides Heroes).

Zimbardo

Cipherr said:
I was hoping to get Mirrors Edge or something, isnt EA behind that? I dont think I want MOH, but Mass Effect and some NFS games arent too bad. Pretty good Haul this week.

if Mirror's Edge is on sale tomorrow, i'll definitely grab it.

vocab said:
Poor excuse. BC2 is probably the easiest Battlefield, and people still don't know how to play it.

I spot targets! I actually felt like I was playing the game the right way. It's just that everyone else knew the map a lot better than I did. Also, it doesn't help that I had shittastic starting weapons to work with.

Zimbardo

The Broken Ska Record said:
Wait, is there another sale tomorrow, or is it just going until 10am Monday morning?

i hope there's another tomorrow.

it says 'may 2-9' ...so i'm guessing there's one more sale tomorrow?

if so, i'm hoping for Mirror's Edge to be part of it.

I'm gonna say no, unless they, somehow, do a re-cap day. Under Spotlight, in the store, there is no MONDAY: ??? after today's sale. So I guess it's just going on until Monday morning.

Blizzard

Banned
MNC said:
I can't lower the AA in Just Cause 2. It defaults to 4xAA and it stays that way. Any help? :/
Is the AA killing your performance? You might try changing a few other settings instead since it's nice to have the AA. If you really need to change it though, you might try restarting the game a couple of times, since I do seem to remember occasional oddness with having graphics setting changes not "taking". Mostly the game didn't seem to have too many glitches for me though, in what little I played.

Shot in the dark -- you don't happen to have some option chosen in Just Cause 2 to automatically pick what's "best" for your graphics card, do you? That might be a game where you can pick a custom option and then change the settings.

MNC

It's running just fine, but I'd like to have just a liiiittle bit more frames and I'd like to see what kind of impact it has on my laptop temperatures.

Joe Molotov said:
Now that EA Week is over, it's time for Playing EA Games Week! I'm gonna try to marathon Mass Effect 1 & 2, Dead Space 1 & 2, and Crysis 1 & ....Warhead.
I wish. Still working on my GTA marathon. 88% in III, hopefully get to start Vice City in day or two :p

Blizzard

Banned
MNC said:
There is, and if I change it, it jumps right back when I check the settings again.
And you're sure you don't have the automatic "best" option on? Can you change other advanced graphics settings without it jumping back when you restart the game?

legacyzero

Banned
BC2 question. Picked up the SPECACT pack, but I'm a level 1. When does the weapons show up for it?

I still only have the basic lvl 1 weapon sets at the moment? Or do I have to unlock the respective weapon first, and THEN the SPECACT version will show up..

hawkshockey11 said:
Am I the only one with the video card problem for Airborne?

Not so much problems, but the game lacks AA options. looks a bit jaggy.

MNC

Blizzard said:
And you're sure you don't have the automatic "best" option on? Can you change other advanced graphics settings without it jumping back when you restart the game?
I restarted a few times and it seemed to take effect. Thanks both!

Sorry if this has been answered already. Did someone say AA can be forced on Airborn? I noticed how rough it looked on the main menu and I normally don't notice lack of AA, so I'm definitely going to force it if I can.

Sober

Ickman3400 said:
Sorry if this has been answered already. Did someone say AA can be forced on Airborn? I noticed how rough it looked on the main menu and I normally don't notice lack of AA, so I'm definitely going to force it if I can.
ATI card? I might be using an ancient method, but renaming it UT3.exe has always worked for me.

Sober said:
ATI card? I might be using an ancient method, but renaming it UT3.exe has always worked for me.

nah I have nvidia. I dodged the physx bullet and I thought I saw stallion or someone say you can always force AA on UE3 games.

Echoplx

MOH worked fine here, w7 64bit with a GTX470, didn't need to jump through any hoops.

However the combat feels retarded in this game.

ZZMitch

Anyone have any impression of Risk: Factions?

I remember really liking it when I owned an xbox. I didn't know it was on steam till just now!

AcridMeat

Banned
ZZMitch said:
Anyone have any impression of Risk: Factions?

I remember really liking it when I owned an xbox. I didn't know it was on steam till just now!

Apparently the online is broken. I really wanted to get it on steam as well.

Holy shit. BC2 is one of the most beautiful games I've ever played.

EDIT: Started playing with headphones.... how the hell did I miss this game? The presentation value is off the charts.

2rqc9pd.jpg

Just, whoa.

3chopl0x said:
MOH worked fine here, w7 64bit with a GTX470, didn't need to jump through any hoops.

However the combat feels retarded in this game.

You talking about Airborne or Beard of Honor?

Airborne does feel a little twitchy, but the cover system works well, and it runs like butter and still looks pretty damn good. And so far the campaign is pretty damn enjoyable and a nice change from MW, BC2 and Bearded Honor.

So far $2.50 well spent..heh

Echoplx

LocoMrPollock said:
You talking about Airborne or Beard of Honor?

Airborne does feel a little twitchy, but the cover system works well, and it runs like butter and still looks pretty damn good. And so far the campaign is pretty damn enjoyable and a nice change from MW, BC2 and Bearded Honor.

So far $2.50 well spent..heh

Airborne. Twitchy probably describes it best but I just can't seem to aim properly at all, the cover system is cool and does help a lot though.

For $2.50 it's fine, i don't think i would have payed much more though.

BigFwoosh

Having never played BF2 or BC2 before, which one should I pick? I've heard a lot of good things about BC2, but BF2 seems to come with a lot of content for cheaper.

Screw it, It probably isn't worth my time anyways. At least it was only $2.50.

Edit- At least BF2 works
Edit 2- The problem is probably that I have integrated graphics on my laptop but that shouldn't make a difference considering it is more than capable of running MOHA. Is there a way to trick an application into thinking I have a different card?

AcridMeat

Banned
BigFwoosh said:
Having never played BF2 or BC2 before, which one should I pick? I've heard a lot of good things about BC2, but BF2 seems to come with a lot of content for cheaper.

That's tough. BF2 will give you perspective on why there's hype for BF3. However, I would say I have more fun playing BC2 at this point in time.

BigFwoosh

AcridMeat said:
That's tough. BF2 will give you perspective on why there's hype for BF3. However, I would say I have more fun playing BC2 at this point in time.
How is BF2's online compared to BC2? Will I be totally screwed if I suck at either game at this point?

1-D_FTW

BigFwoosh said:

It'll be a lot easier and quicker to level up in BC2. BF 2 pretty much began this trend and upgrades weren't cakewalks. You'll be going against people who've been playing for years. This is why I passed. I know my old account was nuked, because my handle became public domain again and I was able to reclaim it after years.

AcridMeat

Banned
BigFwoosh said:
How is BF2's online compared to BC2? Will I be totally screwed if I suck at either game at this point?

After reading that, definitely go with BC2. Much easier to pick up and have fun. As 1-D said, people who are still playing BF2 are people who have been playing for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom