• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Molotov

Woo, finally for the first time ever, after triple-dipping on it, I've finally beaten Mass Effect 1. I owned it for the X360, played it about 1/2 way through, bought the retail PC version and played it about 1/2 through, bought the Steam version and played it about 2/3rds of the way through (then my HDD died and I lost my save). But today, I just decided to buckle down and plow my way through it, skipping all non-essential worlds and any side-quests that weren't right in my path (except Bringing Down the Sky, because I I took the time to download it and install it, I felt obligated to play it).

Renegade Shepherd ending. Hung the council out to dry. All human council now, puny alien races don't have to the balls to do what needs to be done. USA! USA! Led by Anderson, natch, not that penisless Udina that sucked up to the council against you when things got rough.

apana said:
When people say that Bad Company 2 is all about teamwork but in Modern Warfare you can do your own thing, what does that mean specifically? Does Bad Company 2 not have any free for all modes?
Even the biggest games are broken down into squads of four. Not joining a squad would be to your disadvantage if only because you can spawn on squadmates.

vocab

apana said:
I probably am just gonna pick up Bad Company 2, if I'm bad at multiplayer then so be it, it's not like I'll get penalized for being bad or won't have fun. Though I imagine people on my team wouldn't be too happy about it but oh well.

Nobody cares if your bad, and people barely comment on others because they barely pull positive. Just don't sit in a bush the whole game and do nothing.

A lot of people in this thread make BC2 seem like some super serious game where one person messes up the experience for everyone, and you really have to work together or you'll never win. Please, this game at a casual level requires none of that.

Linkhero1

Why can't I run airborn?

It says "The video card you are running is not supported" whenever I try playing it.

I have NVIDIA GeForce GT 420M 1GB

Linkhero1 said:
Why can't I run airborn?

It says "The video card you are running is not supported" whenever I try playing it.

I have NVIDIA GeForce GT 420M 1GB

Yeah, some other dude was having the same problem. I guess the game doesn't support integrated GPUs.

Linkhero1

LocoMrPollock said:
Yeah, some other dude was having the same problem. I guess the game doesn't support integrated GPUs.
I got it to work. It was using the integrated GPU, but you have to force it to use the NVIDIA one. Runs smooth on max settings :D

MightyKAC

Linkhero1 said:
I got it to work. It was using the integrated GPU, but you have to force it to use the NVIDIA one. Runs smooth on max settings :D

Can you do the same thing with Magicka? I'm using a Nvidia 335m on an Alienware M11x I5 R2 and I'm trying to get it to work with its integrated GPU.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Does Airborne support the 360 controller? It had brilliant use of it on the 360 version.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
SalsaShark said:
I actually put like 100+ hours on my previous non-steam copy of BC2, but always on low/medium settings.

Getting an update soon and dont know wether to start with cpu or gpu, would be nice to get this game to run/look better, so wich one should i go with ?

oh current rig btw:

9600GT512ddr3
E7200@2.5ghz
4GB ram

gpu would be cheaper for me to start with (gtx460 1gb ddr5 in mind), would that improve it much ? or would it bottleneck ?
Always GPU first. Always!

plc268

What the hell... double dipped on MOH Airborne because I remember how much of a pain it was to patch the game to the latest version was.

Dice said:
Does Airborne support the 360 controller? It had brilliant use of it on the 360 version.

Yes but all the prompts in game will show up as if you're using a keyboard.

I'm finding the controls to be a little wonky on the pad but it works well enough on normal difficulty. I think it's more because it doesn't use the traditional shooter controls I've become so used to.

Sober

Welp, decided to finally bite on BC2. Won't start it right away, so now I regret having bought it a bit. Don't really want to end up with a giant bloated list of games I need to get to.

And probably time sensitive too, since BF3 is on the horizon, MP is probably gonna empty out real quick after fall of this year.

Linkhero1

MightyKAC said:
Can you do the same thing with Magicka? I'm using a Nvidia 335m on an Alienware M11x I5 R2 and I'm trying to get it to work with its integrated GPU.
Not sure if it will work the same but this is what I did

1. Right-click on the desktop
  2. Select NVIDIA Control Panel
  3. Under "Select a Task" open up 3D Settings
  4. Choose Program Settings Tab
  5. Click Add
  6. Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common
  7. Select the .exe file for the game you want (In your case Magicka)
  8. Now under the second option choose "High-Preformance NVIDIA Processor"
  9. Click Apply

Kevin

I actually purchased Bad Company 2 during the Christmas sale last year and I decided to give it a whirl tonight for the first time. Quite frankly I can't believe how amazing the game is and to think I'm just now getting to it. It's both a beautiful game and a genuinely good game. Glad I bought it!

Luthos

Bought MoH: Airborne. Played the demo, and I already know I'll enjoy it, especially for $2.50.

For some reason, the idea of respawning by dropping in as a paratrooper is so incredibly appealing to me.

MightyKAC

Linkhero1 said:
Not sure if it will work the same but this is what I did

1. Right-click on the desktop
  2. Select NVIDIA Control Panel
  3. Under "Select a Task" open up 3D Settings
  4. Choose Program Settings Tab
  5. Click Add
  6. Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common
  7. Select the .exe file for the game you want (In your case Magicka)
  8. Now under the second option choose "High-Preformance NVIDIA Processor"
  9. Click Apply

Apparently this was EXACTLY what I needed to do. Thanks so much for this. I can finally enjoy this game that I've owned for about 3 months now :)

Linkhero1

MightyKAC said:
Apparently this was EXACTLY what I needed to do. Thanks so much for this. I can finally enjoy this game that I've owned for about 3 months now :)
No problem. Try it with every game you have to max out settings or up settings from what they are now. You're going to have to do it for each individual game but it's worth it :)

Erasus

Already have MoH and BC2, both amazing games.

Got Airborne for that price it seems great, last WW2 shooter I played was CoD: World at War. So now a WW2 shooter is a bit of a change from the modern ones :p

Binabik15

Damn. I already own BF2, but that´s tied to a forgotten Steam account. I also own BC2, but for PS3. I don´t really want to get into BC2 again, especially on pc where I´d get slaughtered, but I want to be shown as a vet in the next one, just like I am.

I guess I´ll have to buy BC2, BF2 and Airborne now :/

How does gifting work? Can I buy 2 copies of BF2 now and gift one later OR do I have to gift it right now? I don´t know my brother´s account details/name.

.nimrod

Binabik15 said:
[...]
How does gifting work? Can I buy 2 copies of BF2 now and gift one later OR do I have to gift it right now? I don´t know my brother´s account details/name.

You could send it as a gift to your email address and forward the email later on

benjipwns

Banned
Binabik15 said:
Don´t really want to get into BC2 again, especially on pc where I´d get slaughtered, but I want to be shown as a vet in the next one, just like I am.
Don't worry, just avoid servers that specify a minimum level and you'll see how great PC version is.

As others noted, BC/BF is in many respects about being smart more than being raw skilled with the mouse. Even if you suck in one-on-one, a good flank or usage of nades can get you three or four easy kills if you know the map.

Binabik15

benjipwns said:
Don't worry, just avoid servers that specify a minimum level and you'll see how great PC version is.

As others noted, BC/BF is in many respects about being smart more than being raw skilled with the mouse. Even if you suck in one-on-one, a good flank or usage of nades can get you three or four easy kills if you know the map.

The pc version isn´t populated by godlike snipers then? Those youtube vids of people doing crazy stuff are an exception? Even on the ps3 I saw incredible long range fights, including myself shooting people with my trusty G3 at sniper distance. Just shoot at the orange triangle.

With a mouse I thought it´d be much easier to do that.

It´s just that I sunk 180 hours or so into the ps3 version, I don´t feel like wasting so much time again and my shitty RtCW perfomances back in the day are a good deterance against online fps. I didn´t even get a platinum for ps3 because I´m missing the stupid Eh tu, brute, always played with randoms. Raaage.

.nimrod said:
You could send it as a gift to your email address and forward the email later on

I know his email address, is that relevant?

FInally found some newbie BC2 servers and am starting to get into the groove a bit. So hate relearning maps and wandering around like a lost chicken trying to help out the team, just don't work.

And bought Airborne, I figured it was like buying a slice of cheesecake, chump change! Incoming me never getting to it in my backlog...

Quake1028

Sweet my copy of Crysis now randomly works. Guess Crytek hit a switch or something (was having the CD key error). Now I can go back to ignoring it like God intended.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Played a little bit of MoH: Airborne. Pretty damn solid, actually. Happy I picked it up.

So weird how playing an FPS with health packs and a WWII theme feels kinda refreshing for a change.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
ColonialRaptor said:
What are you buying?

Kja2R.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom