• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
AcridMeat said:
After reading that, definitely go with BC2. Much easier to pick up and have fun. As 1-D said, people who are still playing BF2 are people who have been playing for years.

Most of the people who play BC2 are pretty good as well, but damn... it's a hell of a good game.

The graphics are incredible, the maps are great, the game engine optimisation is fantastic (I can get over 100fps at 2560x1440 with 4xAA).

The price it is today is hella cheap... I'm going to try and convince my mates to buy it.

Gloomfire said:
What issues are you having? What GPU do you have?

I am trying to play it using this but the "graphics card I am using is not supported." I have this problems with a lot of games but they only suggest that it might not work and still allow it. Every game I have encountered runs great using it but no games recognize it as a usable graphics card.

TheExodu5

Banned
DarthWufei said:
Holy shit. BC2 is one of the most beautiful games I've ever played.

EDIT: Started playing with headphones.... how the hell did I miss this game? The presentation value is off the charts.

Just, whoa.

Eh? I thought BFBC2 looked pretty awful. You really, really need to cherrypick your shots to make it look decent. The shadows, in particular, ruin the image completely.

Repgnar

Just a heads up for anyone interested in Battlefield 2, the Punkbuster looks like it doesn't allow you to use the Steam Overlay while playing with Punkbuster on. Kept getting kicked from games for having a program or something open that PB wouldn't allow. Turns out having the steam overlay open was causing the problem. My friend and I ended up just playing in servers that don't need PB but it was pretty lame to find out that was the problem.

hawkshockey11 said:
I am trying to play it using this but the "graphics card I am using is not supported." I have this problems with a lot of games but they only suggest that it might not work and still allow it. Every game I have encountered runs great using it but no games recognize it as a usable graphics card.

Yeah, that's your problem. Maybe you can try tricking it somehow? Not sure, really.

Anyone know what this game is from his link? Looks like HD Panzer General.

vt-graphics-built-in.png

kamspy

1. You can force AA through Nvidia Inspector for Medal of Honor Airborne. Gobs of it. And still won't drop below 60fps. Toss in some transparency supersampling for good measure.

2. The campaign in Bad Company 2 is underrated. People say it sucks, and while it's not COD4, it's a fun action FPS. I wish I knew where are you guys were playing loads of better SP FPS games. If they're that much better then BC2 I'd like to play them.

TheExodu5

Banned
DarthWufei said:
Awful in comparison to what?

In comparison to Modern Warfare 1/2, I suppose.

I mean, if you really like that bloom lighting, then maybe it would appeal to you. I think if you're going for that kind of image, Far Cry 2 might be the better looking game (though with a lack of color).

edit: I see you've noticed the sound, however. Good headphones really, really make BFBC2 shine. The sound is phenomenal.

apana

kamspy said:
1. You can force AA through Nvidia Inspector for Medal of Honor Airborne. Gobs of it. And still won't drop below 60fps. Toss in some transparency supersampling for good measure.

2. The campaign in Bad Company 2 is underrated. People say it sucks, and while it's not COD4, it's a fun action FPS. I wish I knew where are you guys were playing loads of better SP FPS games. If they're that much better then BC2 I'd like to play them.

How long is the campaign?

kamspy

apana said:
How long is the campaign?

BC2? About as long as COD2 or COD4. A good hour or two longer then MW2, BLOPS, Homefront etc.

6 hours at average pace probably. Good for a second playthrough on a rainy day too.

The tone is a little more serious than BC1, but there's still a ton of funny banter between your team for the entire game.

Well I cant dispute the Battlefield deals are great, my very favorite is Battlefield 2142 and it seems to be the only edition they don't have on steam :(

A bit disappointed they never had a C&C deal, with so many in the series I thought it would for sure be featured this week!

I honestly cannot remember 1 second of BC2's campaign, it was so boring. I only played through it once but usually I can at least remember something about a game I beat. Fantastic multiplayer though and this is coming from probably the biggest MP hater here.

I forgot how fun Airborne was though. Despite the weird and not 100% responsive pad controls it's still so good to go where I want and pick people off with the sniper rifle. Surprising a squad of germans from behind since I snuck through a building never gets old.

Zimbardo

kamspy said:
Yeah, you have to uninstall PhysX before Airborne will launch the first time. After that, you can go back and install the most up to date version.

Weird installer bug. It doesn't even say that's the reason the game isn't launching.

Do what I posted above. Works fine on Windows 7 x64 with no compatibility modes or anything. Just uninstall PhysX, launch game for the first time, then you can reinstall the newest PhysX and the game won't care.

i'm running windows7 64bit and didn't have a problem installing/launching MOH Airborne.

strange that some people were having an issue. its good that there's a work around for the few that were having trouble tho.

apana

When people say that Bad Company 2 is all about teamwork but in Modern Warfare you can do your own thing, what does that mean specifically? Does Bad Company 2 not have any free for all modes?

apana said:
When people say that Bad Company 2 is all about teamwork but in Modern Warfare you can do your own thing, what does that mean specifically? Does Bad Company 2 not have any free for all modes?
It means if you don't have a nice balance of classes and vehicles then you will lose
Whereas in COD, 3 people can do all the work and win for the team.

apana said:

Correct. Other than squad deatchmatch (which noone plays) it's all objective based

Oreoleo

Ickman3400 said:
I honestly cannot remember 1 second of BC2's campaign, it was so boring. I only played through it once but usually I can at least remember something about a game I beat. Fantastic multiplayer though and this is coming from probably the biggest MP hater here.
QFT. If you're considering BC2 for the campaign don't even bother.

Wthermans

Banned
Was really hoping BC2: Vietnam or MOH was cheaper. These prices are nice compared to normal Steam prices, but for a "weeklong sale", EA's prices are really lackluster. Here's to hoping we see something better during the Summer or Winter sales.

Salsa

I actually put like 100+ hours on my previous non-steam copy of BC2, but always on low/medium settings.

Getting an update soon and dont know wether to start with cpu or gpu, would be nice to get this game to run/look better, so wich one should i go with ?

oh current rig btw:

9600GT512ddr3
E7200@2.5ghz
4GB ram

gpu would be cheaper for me to start with (gtx460 1gb ddr5 in mind), would that improve it much ? or would it bottleneck ?

SalsaShark said:
I actually put like 100+ hours on my previous non-steam copy of BC2, but always on low/medium settings.

Getting an update soon and dont know wether to start with cpu or gpu, would be nice to get this game to run/look better, so wich one should i go with ?

oh current rig btw:

9600GT512ddr3
E7200@2.5ghz
4GB ram

gpu would be cheaper for me to start with (gtx460 1gb ddr5 in mind), would that improve it much ? or would it bottleneck ?
BC2 really benefits from a quad core CPU, so a new GPU probably won't mean that you'll be able to crank up the settings all that much.

You should overclock that CPU a bit, it's extremely easy and will give you a slight boost.

apana said:

Right there's no free for all modes.

But when I said that I meant that when you're playing Rush/Conquest you're not going to do too well just ignoring your team mates and doing whatever you want. You're going to be at your best if you're reviving people or dishing out ammo or repairing vehicles and planning out ways to take the objective.

In COD you can get away with just running around aimlessly and doing whatever you want. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, sometimes it's fun to just mindlessly kill people and not try or think about it.

edit: oh and don't forget to spot people. For god's sake do not be one of those people who never spot enemies for the rest of the team. It's 1 button press and is immensely useful.

Gvaz

Banned
DarthWufei said:
Holy shit. BC2 is one of the most beautiful games I've ever played.
That's washed out as hell.

Also I've played BC2 and not really. It's got good presentation but the graphics aren't the best.

kamspy

ShyGuy0504 said:
Would any of these games be worth getting for the campaign?

I think at $6.80 Bad Company 2 is well worth it for the campaign. At $2.50 MoH Airborne is even better. It's not as dated as people might think. You might say: I played Airborne on 360 and it sucked. And you'd be right. It's a much smoother experience on PC. There were a ton of patches and free content updates too. I had to download close to 3GB of patches after I bought it from the EA Store during a sale.

$15 is close of Beard of Honor. I think $7.50 is the sweet spot. The first half sucks and the second half is only half a short game. Yeah, $7.50

Dance In My Blood said:

If it were $2.50 as well there'd be no question. I'm so tempted to get the Beard of Honor, as it were called, but I'm forcing myself to hold off until it's cheaper.

Also, I'm a Member now. Great!

Echoplx

Airborne has been really fun so far, I love that it doesn't just make you run from corridor to corridor, it basically drops you off in a set area (kinda like an arena) and gives you objectives to do, you really can approach the missions in different ways.

ZZMitch

I really like Airborne, especially since I have been wanting to play a WWII shooter, because I haven't in a while (never thought I would say that again, how times have changed!).

One thing I hate, and some other games do this is as well (I am looking at you Borderlands and Far Cry 2), is no option for an iron sights toggle. I hate having to hold down the right mouse button! :p Hopefully I can find a work around like with the other games I stated.

apana

I probably am just gonna pick up Bad Company 2, if I'm bad at multiplayer then so be it, it's not like I'll get penalized for being bad or won't have fun. Though I imagine people on my team wouldn't be too happy about it but oh well.

Salsa

EA damage:

Battlefield Bad Company 2 Vietnam
Battlefield Bad Company 2 Standard Edition
Medal of Honor: Airborne
Dead Space
Dead Space 2
Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit
Plants vs. Zombies (counting it anyway :p)
Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition

pretty happy about it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom