• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

desu

LocoMrPollock said:
Supposed to be in certification now. Was hoping it would come out today, but no joy.

Its going to be the preorder gift for BF3 ;).

But would love if it really comes to steam now.

Carm

BF:BC2 worth 6.80 for the single player only? Doubt I'd ever play online, didn't care for the beta.

Airborne sounds interesting, but it lists 64 bit windows as not supported and I've read some people have had to revert physics drivers to really old versions to get it work. Doesn't sound worth it with so many other games installed that uses newer physics.

Ashour

Benedict said:
Euro-zone is getting fucked again by Steam.

Price in the UK:
Battlefield Bad Company 2: £6.80
Medal of Honor: £9.99

Price in Europe/ Sweden:
Bad Company 2 is €13.60 = £12.19
Medal of Honor is €14.99 = £13.43

And we don't even use € in Sweden....
I notice that mostly on EA games. so I suspect it's EA.

Carm said:
BF:BC2 worth 6.80 for the single player only? Doubt I'd ever play online, didn't care for the beta.

Airborne sounds interesting, but it lists 64 bit windows as not supported and I've read some people have had to revert physics drivers to really old versions to get it work. Doesn't sound worth it with so many other games installed that uses newer physics.
Single player is nice, I like it as it has a mix of open area missions and linear (more linear overall) plus the game engine looks lovely in motion.

desu said:
Its going to be the preorder gift for BF3 ;).

But would love if it really comes to steam now.

Barrie Tingle posted this a few days ago:
Is Battlefield 2142 ever coming to STEAM?

So I get this question a lot about what is taking so long bringing BF2142 to STEAM.

First there was the requirement of v1.51 on PC to be completed and released. Then, as some of you know from the forums, the plan was to wait for the Mac conversion to be completed before releasing on STEAM. However, the Mac conversion is taking longer than expected so this week the full version of BF2142 incluing v1.51 and Northern Strike went off to go through its process of being STEAM wrapped.

This is usually a pretty quick process but at this time I don’t have more exact dates as that will come down to Valve and EA discussions and agreements. As soon as I hear of a date that BF2142 will go on STEAM I will let you know.

Mac users, v1.51 including all the content is coming but there is no ETA on that yet either.

For those who have been asking, DVD and EA Store codes will not work with STEAM so you will not be able to redeem your code and have the option of downloading through STEAM instead of using disc or EA Store.

Sober

So, earlier someone posted BFBC2 has more vanilla than Vietnam players, that true?

Also, how is the BF2 MP community? Still alive and kicking until BF3? Does the Steam version play friendly with mods?

coopolon

Gvaz said:
I would not buy MOH even if it was free.

Games might have a price but there's also the investment of time to consider as well.

I'd be curious to know why you think the game is so awful. Rather then just repeating "game sucks, not worth $2.50, game sucks, not even worth $2.50" why don't you articulate your reasons in order to help people decide if they want to buy it or not?

I mean, don't get me wrong, it's a flawed game in many ways, but you seem to think it's terrible, not even worth $2.50, etc. It's actually pretty fun, at least for awhile, for numerous reasons already listed -
-non-linear levels in a generation of corridor shooters
-rpg elements to the guns (incredibly superficial ones, but they do add a dynamic quality to a system that is quite stale in most games of the genre)
-some very interesting level design, even in the last level (which can be a real pain in the ass.)
-a different respawn/reload mechanic that fits will with the non-linear levels
-completely competent shooting. If you like the mechanic of shooting bad guys in FPSs, Airborne does it as well as most other games.

The worst thing about the game is that if you die on your way to achieving an objective, everyone you've killed since the last objective is going to respawn. This can be REALLY annoying, and doesn't even fit with the overall game design.

Combine the previous fact with the fact that some enemies are major pains in the ass can get pretty old pretty quickly.

But the game is EASILY worth $2.50. Just getting to experience the first couple levels alone is worth it, even if you get frustrated and quit towards the end of the game.

Edit: I played through all of Airborne in Win 7 64 without having to resort to any tricks.

Blizzard

Banned
LocoMrPollock said:
Just a problem with Physx-

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1878112

1° Uninstall current Physx software
2° Install Airborne
3° Uninstall old Airborne PhysX version
4° Reinstall recent PhysX version with Nvidia update or manually downloading from Nvidia site.
And this is part of the reason (besides no ATI hardware support) that I don't like PhysX. The wrong version or the wrong game installed in the wrong order can screw up different games until you fix it, it sounds like? =/

kamspy

Yeah, you have to uninstall PhysX before Airborne will launch the first time. After that, you can go back and install the most up to date version.

Weird installer bug. It doesn't even say that's the reason the game isn't launching.

SalsaShark said:
what !? shit already bought it

tell me there's an easy way around this :(

Do what I posted above. Works fine on Windows 7 x64 with no compatibility modes or anything. Just uninstall PhysX, launch game for the first time, then you can reinstall the newest PhysX and the game won't care.

I thought this week was pretty great overall. Picked up Dragon Age 2, Crysis and Crysis Warhead and Dead Space 1 and 2. DA2 wasn't a deep discount, but the only issue I had with picking it up at launch was the $60 price tag.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
SalsaShark said:
what !? shit already bought it

tell me there's an easy way around this :(
Can't you just run it in a 32 bit mode? Maybe XP Capatability? Its not like a 64bit can't run 32 bit programs.

It seems airborne can work on some 64 bit systems but they didn't specify if they were ATI or Nvidia. I'd rather not toy with uninstalling and reinstalling things.

Joe Molotov

Now that EA Week is over, it's time for Playing EA Games Week! I'm gonna try to marathon Mass Effect 1 & 2, Dead Space 1 & 2, and Crysis 1 & ....Warhead.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Joe Molotov said:
Now that EA Week is over, it's time for Playing EA Games Week! I'm gonna try to marathon Mass Effect 1 & 2, Dead Space 1 & 2, and Crysis 1 & ....Warhead.

Pretty much what I'll be doing until the new Witcher is out.

Dragon Age complete has A LOT of content. I'll be set for awhile.

dingsbums

Neo Member
Benedict said:
Euro-zone is getting fucked again by Steam.

Price in the UK:
Battlefield Bad Company 2: £6.80
Medal of Honor: £9.99

Price in Europe/ Sweden:
Bad Company 2 is €13.60 = £12.19
Medal of Honor is €14.99 = £13.43

And we don't even use € in Sweden....

Even better if you compare to the US.

US Steam for BC2: $6,80 (4,70€)
EU Steam for BC2: 13,60€ ($19,49)

Under these circumstances I'm not going to buy this, since I live in EU. :)

Danneee said:

I played airborne back in the day on 64bit Vista, so I would assume it should be fine with 64bit 7.

Mr. Spinnington said:
Battlefield 2 + MOH Airborne for me. wasn't Airborne commended for actually having color in it or am i thinking of a different WW2 shooter

I definitely remember there being an assortment of colours in that game.

Gvaz

Banned
SalsaShark said:
Why is that you feel the need to complaint about games to the point of arguing ? same with TF2 just a few pages back..

just accept the fact that some people might like it, its not objectively bad for everyone
I'm not arguing though? My reaction would be much different if I was.

DoctorWho said:
So what makes MoH: Reboot's single player so good?

I think it's because you get as good as feel of what the war in afghanistan is like without actually being there. It tries to be realistic, the sniping mission is great (more like the sniping mission in COD 4, juding wind and all that).

Your character is not some mega badass designed to single handedly end the war, you're just part of it along with everyone else. There's moments where you could be pinned down in a valley surrounded by insurgents with superior numbers and cover and you'll kind of be in deep shit.

I say kind of because on hard difficulty this is probably the easiest hard mode ever. It does dampen the itensity a bit. You can't just run out and rambo everyone but it's not really 1 hit 1 kill either. But it was a pretty fun campaign and if you're turned off by all the crazy unrealistic shit in the call of duties then this will probably be right up your alley.

Ickman3400 said:
I think it's because you get as good as feel of what the war in afghanistan is like without actually being there. It tries to be realistic, the sniping mission is great (more like the sniping mission in COD 4, juding wind and all that).

Your character is not some mega badass designed to single handedly end the war, you're just part of it along with everyone else. There's moments where you could be pinned down in a valley surrounded by insurgents with superior numbers and cover and you'll kind of be in deep shit.

I say kind of because on hard difficulty this is probably the easiest hard mode ever. It does dampen the itensity a bit. You can't just run out and rambo everyone but it's not really 1 hit 1 kill either. But it was a pretty fun campaign and if you're turned off by all the crazy unrealistic shit in the call of duties then this will probably be right up your alley.

Thanks. I'm thinking of either grabbing this or Vietnam. Maybe I should hold at and wait for MoH to be cheaper during the Summer Sale.

speculawyer said:
Hey . . . is the gifting all turned off for today's EA battlefield stuff?

Nope, gifting is only unavailable for Vietnam. The reason why is because it's just a CD Key and it could be used on any version of BC2.

Zimbardo

Medal of Honor (reboot) has a pretty darn good single player campaign and the multiplayer isn't too bad either. Team Deathmatch is pretty fun in that game.

well worth the price, imo.

and who doesn't own Bad Company 2 now? if you don't, you must buy it ASAP!

DoctorWho said:
Thanks. I'm thinking of either grabbing this or Vietnam. Maybe I should hold at and wait for MoH to be cheaper during the Summer Sale.

Because of the short length you probably should. I'd say $10 or less is the sweet spot.

I bought it again today but I didn't feel great about it.

chixdiggit said:
So Battlefield Vietnam is multiplayer only, correct? Does it have a good following?
Haven't played the Vietnam stuff, but I've found the barrier to entry for BFBC2 a little too high. I like the team focused combat but most players are just too good at this point making the experience a little disappointing.

Still considering giving Vietnam a go though.

Cipherr

Joe Molotov said:

I was hoping to get Mirrors Edge or something, isnt EA behind that? I dont think I want MOH, but Mass Effect and some NFS games arent too bad. Pretty good Haul this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom