• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

krzy123

Erico said:
Commandos 1 and 2 are amazing games, and are still highly playable. $1.24 for each is a steal!

I think it could be better to get the Commandos collection for $3.74, unless 3 is utter crap.

The Broken Ska Record said:
But you have to be connected to Steam to play it. >_>

I've been without internet at my place for about a month and I've played at least 10 different games in offline mode without a problem.

nyong

Banned
Diablohead said:
I have always been interested in Dark Star One, is it any good? I remember reviews giving 7 or so for the 360 version but for £2.49...
It's not great. The story is incredibly lame and the sim aspects are not fleshed out in the slightest. If you go into it expecting an arcadish flight sim experience, and nothing else, you'll probably be somewhat satisfied. The PC graphics are quite a bit worse than the 360 version too.

nyong said:
It's not great. The story is incredibly lame and the sim aspects are not fleshed out in the slightest. If you go into it expecting an arcadish flight sim experience, and nothing else, you'll probably be somewhat satisfied. The PC graphics are quite a bit worse than the 360 version too.
Arcade I can live with, but visuals on pc :( well i'll go watch some youtube after work and decide then.

Also, it's $2.49 in the US and £2.49 in the UK, fecks!

Sweet steam now automatically detects amd driver version and directly chooses the right download for your particular hardware, downloads it in a steam downloader, and starts the install.

No more having to go to the amd site and finding the right driver.

Under Steam menu, Update AMD video drivers...

stuminus3

I didn't realise Steam had the original Tropico games. All for just $1.74! Beautiful.

Heads up, the Steam versions of the original Commandos (and it's spin off) have some minor problems on Windows 7 but there's good community support on the forums, they're easily fixed. To be fair these games had issues going as far back as on XP. $3.74 for the whole shebang = bargain and a half, they're all great.

Diablohead said:
fecking hats, TF2 most likely has more memory taken up by hats now then the game itself.

I have it uninstalled right now but last time I played it was 9.x gig, guessing its's 11 or 12 gig now?

Clusterfuck.

Salsa

think im gonna bite on Tropico 3 Gold. I should, right ?

I have to get around the problem of only having 4.65USD on my Steam wallet though, lolol

krzy123

Diablohead said:
Arcade I can live with, but visuals on pc :( well i'll go watch some youtube after work and decide then.

Also, it's $2.49 in the US and £2.49 in the UK, fecks!

actually in the US there is a Patricians and Merchants pack which includes: Darkstar One, Patrician III, The Great Art Race for $2.49

Darkstar one alone is $10.

Jomjom

Banned
Complete Steam newbie here, just started using this awesome service last week or so. I bought a super cheap copy of The Witcher during the Gamestop sale. I hooked it up to Steam by directing it to the executable file for The Witcher.

Basically, my question is: What are the benefits of linking non-steam games to Steam other than having all your PC games organized in one location? Thanks a lot for any info!

jling84 said:
Complete Steam newbie here, just started using this awesome service last week or so. I bought a super cheap copy of The Witcher during the Gamestop sale. I hooked it up to Steam by directing it to the executable file for The Witcher.

Basically, my question is: What are the benefits of linking non-steam games to Steam other than having all your PC games organized in one location? Thanks a lot for any info!
Link the game to steam, launch it from steam and you can press Shift + Tab for the steam in-game overlay, aka you can keep on chatting over steam without tabbing out, most steam things still work and notify you, internet browser window (handy for rpg's :p)

I stopped using AOL and MSN years back because Steam is always turned on with my new pc, if anyone messages me while I play I will see it notify me in the corner.

Volcynika

opticalmace said:
How can you not see the deals? Just go to the website?

Also basically just looking at the 'top sellers' page will tell you what's a deal.

Some people might have the site itself blocked or something. Though I'm not sure of his/her case.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Can someone help me make sense of the Kalypso stuff? I don't own any of it right now. Don't really know what's worth getting.

I like strategy games in general. RTS, 4X, Sims, etc. Although I bought Men of War for $5 the other day and it did absolutely nothing for me... it felt very fidgety.

Edit: I also dig economics/trading games, so Patrician has my eye...
Edit2: Never even heard of Darkstar One but it seems nice too... http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/darkstar-one/critic-reviews

Edit3: I'm leaning towards Tropico Gold ($5), and the $2.50 pack that includes Patrician & DarkStar 1. Probably not Commandos, since I didn't dig Men of War.

PaulLFC

krzy123 said:
actually in the US there is a Patricians and Merchants pack which includes: Darkstar One, Patrician III, The Great Art Race for $2.49

Darkstar one alone is $10.

Thanks for the heads-up about this! In the UK that pack is £2.49, which works out the same price as just buying Darkstar One on its own. Slightly annoyed that Kalypso think that £1 = $1 but for that price I can't really complain about it.

GDJustin said:
Although I bought Men of War for $5 the other day and it did absolutely nothing for me... it felt very fidgety.

Are you kidding me, I also got it and to this second cannot put it down, the animations, little details, ability to put the camera anywhere, I ADORE this game and I hate most rts.

All the places you can place your soldiers, the ability to take direct control, smart ai, great gui. The list goes on and on...

GDJustin

scorpscarx said:
Are you kidding me, I also got it and to this second cannot put it down, the animations, little details, ability to put the camera anywhere, I ADORE this game and I hate most rts.

*shrug*

To each his own. On the first mission when you have to drive that tank into town it drove me crazy and I couldn't get the tank to do what I wanted. I'd try to click somewhere 5 times, and get 5 different results.

Finally cleared that mission and went on to the next, when you have to defend the train tracks, but the game was unclear about where the assault would be coming from, so I felt it was too much trial and error.

Just not for me, I think.

GDJustin said:
*shrug*

To each his own. On the first mission when you have to drive that tank into town it drove me crazy and I couldn't get the tank to do what I wanted. I'd try to click somewhere 5 times, and get 5 different results.

Finally cleared that mission and went on to the next, when you have to defend the train tracks, but the game was unclear about where the assault would be coming from, so I felt it was too much trial and error.

Just not for me, I think.

Yeah man, you have to spend a little more time to learn its gui elements and underlying mechanics.

For example the tank's movement and firing patterns perform one way based off just clicking on things. Like MG for troops, ar or he rounds for armored vehicles. You can however also directly control the movement, rotation, and gun independently by holding down control.

Did I mention the awesome artistic vision this game has?

vermadas

Sarcasm said:
I can't see the deals on steam, whats worth getting?

SpaceChem is half-off - $7.49. It starts out kind of confusing, but once you get the mechanics down it's a lot of fun. Provided you like puzzle games anyway. I bought the game after about 45 min with the demo.

GDJustin

Alright, I ended up settling on Tropico 3 for $5, and the $2.50 Darkstar One, Patrician III, Great Art Race pack. Because it wouldn't be a Steam sale if I didn't buy something random *solely* because of its price.

Tropico should be nice. I nearly paid $30 for it last year, but got distracted and never got around to it. I'm in the mood for a nice sim title with a unique flavor.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
balladofwindfishes said:
How is Tropico?

I've heard mixed responses and wanted to see if it was worth 3.50?

Depends on what you're into, I guess.

Pros:

• The game plays a lot with the mechanics of Capitalism vs Communism. Do you stick to your ideals? Suppress insurgents with your military, or by raising living standards at the cost of your "personal fund" or overall goals? Do you ally yourself with the Capitalist Americans or the Communist Russians?
  • The game also lets you play with the idea of being a dictator. You can be a benevolent force for universal good, or you can be a militaristic egotist who builds statues to himself instead of much needed schools. Before starting play you choose perks that impact various money/faction/diplomacy bonuses.
  • The setting allows for some gorgeous vistas, and the game is more than pretty enough.

Cons:

• This is a scenario driven game. And granted, the scenarios are really good and interesting - manage a banana republic that is dependent on financial aid from capitalist America for four years without angering your communist allies; try to turn a barren waste into a tourist hotspot while managing a rebel uprising, that sort of thing. Every level is engaging in its own way... but if you're looking for a an open-world, do-what-you-want sort of Sim game you're going to be feeling a little restricted.
  • The guy who lets you know the overall feel of things on the street via radio announcements is a bit grating.
  • The construction system is both complicated and slow. This is sort of necessary to establish the strong underclasses that you either will get to love or hate you, but it means that there's a lot larger delay between when you place a building and when it's actually built/functional.

I guess what I'm saying is - if you're looking for Sim City, you'll be disappointed. If you're looking for a game that really toys with the idea of being a communist dictator in the 1960's, I don't think you'll find one better. You regularly have to make decisions that impact different factions, and nearly every choice has a non-financial cost. Sure, that contract from the Banana company might give you much-needed funds, but it will infuriate the communists around you. Similarly, allying yourself with Communist Russia might push significant numbers of American tourists away from your island. It's a really engrossing game - if you can get into it. If you're at all interested, I'd say it's definitely worth a little more than a vending machine soda.

1-D_FTW

Campster said:
Depends on what you're into, I guess.

Pros:

• The game plays a lot with the mechanics of Capitalism vs Communism. Do you stick to your ideals? Suppress insurgents with your military, or by raising living standards at the cost of your "personal fund" or overall goals? Do you ally yourself with the Capitalist Americans or the Communist Russians?
  • The game also lets you play with the idea of being a dictator. You can be a benevolent force for universal good, or you can be a militaristic egotist who builds statues to himself instead of much needed schools. Before starting play you choose perks that impact various money/faction/diplomacy bonuses.
  • The setting allows for some gorgeous vistas, and the game is more than pretty enough.

Cons:

• This is a scenario driven game. And granted, the scenarios are really good and interesting - manage a banana republic that is dependent on financial aid from capitalist America for four years without angering your communist allies; try to turn a barren waste into a tourist hotspot while managing a rebel uprising, that sort of thing. Every level is engaging in its own way... but if you're looking for a an open-world, do-what-you-want sort of Sim game you're going to be feeling a little restricted.
  • The guy who lets you know the overall feel of things on the street via radio announcements is a bit grating.
  • The construction system is both complicated and slow. This is sort of necessary to establish the strong underclasses that you either will get to love or hate you, but it means that there's a lot larger delay between when you place a building and when it's actually built/functional.

I guess what I'm saying is - if you're looking for Sim City, you'll be disappointed. If you're looking for a game that really toys with the idea of being a communist dictator in the 1960's, I don't think you'll find one better. You regularly have to make decisions that impact different factions, and nearly every choice has a non-financial cost. Sure, that contract from the Banana company might give you much-needed funds, but it will infuriate the communists around you. Similarly, allying yourself with Communist Russia might push significant numbers of American tourists away from your island. It's a really engrossing game - if you can get into it. If you're at all interested, I'd say it's definitely worth a little more than a vending machine soda.

Great write up. You're seriously tempting me.

The downside for me is this: I recently tried "Blindly spam the scroll wheel and mouse to randomly pick your next game to play." It came up on Grand Ages Rome and I almost laughed out loud like a maniacal villain at the prospect. I think I enjoyed watching the Tropico 3 trailer more than I'd ever get from playing the game. But the price tempts me. Why must you tempt me, Steam?

Question on Mass Effect 1. I was checking the unofficial 3rd party drm list. It says "Mass Effect; Found on the DLC installers only, SecuROM removable post-installation. 3 machine limit." There is no dlc for ME on Steam so do they mean if i get the dlc from wherever they sell them? Or is the dlc store in game?

Syphon Filter said:
Question on Mass Effect 1. I was checking the unofficial 3rd party drm list. It says "Mass Effect; Found on the DLC installers only, SecuROM removable post-installation. 3 machine limit." There is no dlc for ME on Steam so do they mean if i get the dlc from wherever they sell them? Or is the dlc store in game?

Yeah, when you get them elsewhere they include DRM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom