• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spacechem is surprisingly cool. The tutorial needs work though, as it wasn't obvious that I could change the output for each waldo to either output location.
(the third level in the demo).

It's not as difficult as it looks, but it might take some getting into.

Tom Penny

I have more than one hard drive on my computer. Is there a way to make the other games I download go to a different hard drive other than the one my Steam folder is currently in? I basically have no more room.

Xamdou

MRORANGE said:
no, but you can move your entire steam folder onto the new drive and reinstall steam on new hdd.

What if I use an external USB drive with 500GB space in it, will game performance take a hit since it's running off USB?

Diablohead said:
Games > Add non-steam game to my library

:p
When people make this suggestion, I have a hard time deciding if they're actually serious. Launching from the Steam client is like the least important feature about gaming with Steam.

MRORANGE

Xamdou said:
What if I use an external USB drive with 500GB space in it, will game performance take a hit since it's running off USB?

should be fine - usb is plenty fast, played most games from usb hdd instead of the laptop hdd, but have a look at MacGurcules post

MacGurcules said:
When people make this suggestion, I have a hard time deciding if they're actually serious. Launching from the Steam client is like the least important feature about gaming with Steam.

Quite the opposite really. People love that wrapper.

Xamdou said:

Nothing significant or noticeable. In my experience anyway.

Echoplx

Xamdou said:

Yes, you will take a performance hit but it depends entirely on the game and how much data it needs to stream.

MacGurcules said:
I like to use steam chat, in-game browser, friends list and all that while in a game of my choice.

MacGurcules said:

No i love launching from the client,keeps all my games together. Nice and organized.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Anyone else thinking about biting the bullet and getting First Templar? It looks pretty busted, but I kind of see some potential there.

epmode

poweld said:
Wait, so if I own Borderlands, how do I register for the DNF demo?
I'm pretty sure you're already in. All Steam copies of Borderlands come with a semi-hidden bit of DLC. Right-click the game in Steam, go to Properties, DLC.

plc268

So, out of Arsenal of Democracy, Hearts of Iron II, or Hearts of Iron III... which is the best? I see that AoD is essentially an HoI2 mod, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what makes it different.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Gonna hold off on Tropico. If it gets cheaper, yeah. If it doesn't, I'll pick it up after I knock out some more backlog.

nyong

Banned
shintoki said:
Gonna hold off on Tropico. If it gets cheaper, yeah. If it doesn't, I'll pick it up after I knock out some more backlog.
Wat.

How much cheaper can it possibly get? You get the entire retail game with expansion pack for $5. The older stuff is under $2.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
zoner said:
Anyone else thinking about biting the bullet and getting First Templar? It looks pretty busted, but I kind of see some potential there.
Playing Dragon Age now and then the more action-oriented Witcher 2. I think I'll be too worn out on the theme even though it looks more like a beat-em-up. Still, if you get it, report back about how it runs. Their sims can be a bit janky but that is okay for sims.

Dice said:
Playing Dragon Age now and then the more action-oriented Witcher 2. I think I'll be too worn out on the theme even though it looks more like a beat-em-up. Still, if you get it, report back about how it runs. Their sims can be a bit janky but that is okay for sims.

ooh yeah bad timing in that case, witcher 2 - as of now this looks like it could be my GOTY

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
plc268 said:
So, out of Arsenal of Democracy, Hearts of Iron II, or Hearts of Iron III... which is the best? I see that AoD is essentially an HoI2 mod, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what makes it different.

Arsenal of Democracy is basically a fan mod for Hearts of Iron 2. It just stretches out the time scope to 1964 and tweaks the tech trees and other assorted things.

Hearts of Iron 2 is probably the best one to start with since it allows you to micromanage things without giving you too much stuff to worry about. It's also pretty easy to do a world conquest with most of the major powers if you so choose.

Hearts of Iron 3 is...different. I can see how some people might enjoy it but I've had a hard time trying to get into it. I may be biased in that I really enjoy the HoI/HoI2 sense of doing things.

Well dammit. It happened to me.
Oh yeah I would love to get the witcher! Oh gog has a sale! Awesome. Looks at steam game list 20 mins later... I bought this game months ago. I don't know when.

Nabs

SteveWinwood said:
Oh yeah I would love to get the witcher! Oh gog has a sale! Awesome. Looks at steam game list 20 mins later... I bought this game months ago. I don't know when.

Welcome to the club

graywolf323

SteveWinwood said:

I rebought it on GOG fully knowing I already owned it on Steam :p

plc268

wienke said:
Arsenal of Democracy is basically a fan mod for Hearts of Iron 2. It just stretches out the time scope to 1964 and tweaks the tech trees and other assorted things.

Hearts of Iron 2 is probably the best one to start with since it allows you to micromanage things without giving you too much stuff to worry about. It's also pretty easy to do a world conquest with most of the major powers if you so choose.

Hearts of Iron 3 is...different. I can see how some people might enjoy it but I've had a hard time trying to get into it. I may be biased in that I really enjoy the HoI/HoI2 sense of doing things.

Thanks, looks like I'll pick up HoI2. I've heard a lot of people say bad things about HoI3, so that's enough for me to avoid it... at least for now. Thanks for the input.

Quake1028

Gloomfire said:
Tropico 3 Gold - $4.99
Patricians & Merchants Box - $2.49

Lots o' gaming for $7.48. I'm a sucker so I will probably buy.

Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

How come on the Bioshock 1 store page it says "Game requires Internet connection for activation". Don't all Steam games require a connection for activation?

LocoMrPollock said:
Quite the opposite really. People love that wrapper.
Diablohead said:
I like to use steam chat, in-game browser, friends list and all that while in a game of my choice.
Syphon Filter said:
No i love launching from the client,keeps all my games together. Nice and organized.
Well, color me surprised. It sure seemed to me that the automatic updates, fast as hell downloads, on-the-fly installs, and ridiculously easy migration all ranked higher. Launching a game is easy. That other stuff can be a hassle. But if people genuinely value it for the launcher, then I'm not going to judge.

I shall take all of these "Just add as a non-Steam game" recommendations as honest advice from now on.

Edgeward

Syphon Filter said:
How come on the Bioshock 1 store page it says "Game requires Internet connection for activation". Don't all Steam games require a connection for activation?

It uses GWFL and SecuROM IIRC

Correction: Not GWFL, but SecuROM yes.

nyong

Banned
I don't understand why publishers insist on using archaic DRM on top of Steamworks. I was under the impression that Steam was relatively secure?

epmode said:
I'm pretty sure you're already in. All Steam copies of Borderlands come with a semi-hidden bit of DLC. Right-click the game in Steam, go to Properties, DLC.
I see it in there. How do I access it?

I'm just installing Borderlands for the first time right now (got it when it was on sale a couple weeks ago or whatever).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom