• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
nyong said:
I don't understand why publishers insist on using archaic DRM on top of Steamworks. I was under the impression that Steam was relatively secure?
Not really. But then no DRM really is. Steam buys way more customers with their understanding of market forces and community good will than they ever save with the security built into the software.

Ookami-kun said:

How do you guys cope when you bought a game full price then later on see it on sale?

it only botters me if I did not play the game yet (I have a huge backlog and a impulse to buy more). Other than that, you already enjoyed the game, so no loss.

ZZMitch

Ookami-kun said:

How do you guys cope when you bought a game full price then later on see it on sale?

It happens way to often for me to worry about because if I did I would have many gray hairs, many gray hairs indeed...

Luigi87

Ookami-kun said:

Considering I paid $45 for Portal 2, and two weeks later saw it at $30, I cope quite well...
I may die a little on the inside, but that's healthy enough.

Ookami-kun said:
...How do you guys cope when you bought a game full price then later on see it on sale?
Well, if you bought a game at a particular price, then it was because your desire curve intersected your value curve. If you hadn't thought it was a fair price, you wouldn't have gotten it.

If it's genuinely a concern, the simple solution is to only buy games when they're deeply on sale. Then just build up such a monolithic, towering backlog that you always have enough material to last you between sales. That's how a lot of us do it.

I have only preordered 1 game (Portal 2), and it was so, so worth it.

TBH the last game console game I bought at full price was GTA4 (and yeah, got burned there). Otherwise I just buy stuff on Steam sales, or console games when they're very cheap.

Ookami-kun said:

Well, I only buy the games I really, really want to play right away. So when I see it on sale I think back to how badly I wanted to play it when it came out so it doesn't bother me. Everything else gets bought when it's on sale.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Ookami-kun said:

1 slit on each wrist.

But really, I don't give a fuck. If I break and buy a game day 1, it's worth it 99% of the time for me. That's a pretty damn good success rate.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Ookami-kun said:

I don't buy it till it is on sale. Pretty much everything I buy is under 10$, and months to a year+ late.

Works wonders with hype too, since I end up dropping interest in a lot of stuff thanks to it.

apana

Edgeward said:
It uses GWFL and SecuROM IIRC

Correction: Not GWFL, but SecuROM yes.

Woah don't give me heart attacks. Where does it say that it uses Securom? I thought that was only for Bioshock 2?

Vyer

I remember a game I used to play a while back called Silent Storm, that was a WW strat game that gave me a real X-Com type vibe. You could level up your squad members as you went through different missions. Is Commandos that type of game? Can anyone recommend any games on Steam like that?

Vyer said:
I remember a game I used to play a while back called Silent Storm, that was a WW strat game that gave me a real X-Com type vibe. You could level up your squad members as you went through different missions. Is Commandos that type of game? Can anyone recommend any games on Steam like that?

Commandos is pretty different. What you want is Jagged Alliance 2: Wildfire Edition. I think it may be on GoG. Might be on Steam too, but I'm not sure.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Holy shit, Tropico 3 is GREAT. I sat down after dinner to "check it out" and looked up after a while and over FOUR HOURS had gone by. I played until almost midnight and didn't even notice. It's been years since a a game made me lose track of time, like that.

I actually like that it's scenario-based, instead of being open-ended and sandbox-y. I like sim games, but I need goals and direction to really know what to do with myself. It's fun to balance the favors of the US and the USSR and play them against each other. It's fun building tourist hotspots.

Plus, games that have a proper campaign I can put in my "Completed" steam folder, someday.

Bullet point for bullet point Tropico probably barely stacks up to something like Sim City, but the flavor adds a ton. I love little details like my country continuing to pull in "aid" money from the US even though it has a huge profitable coffee and tourism industry. I love tha I can bribe or "disappear" dissenters. And of course... there's the soundtrack.

Someone should make a LTTP topic! I don't wanna make it but I'll support it <3

Oh yeah, one Q - how the fuck can I make my construction workers actually work? They wander around FOREVER, with no active jobs listed at the construction building, even though I sometimes have 10+ buildings that need to be built. In my last game I had three construction buildings, all staffed. And they were all idling, even though I had buildings queued. I know that things in Tropico aren't instant, but I feel like I might be missing something.

Ookami-kun said:

I'll let you know when portal 2 suffers a massive sale. the two-pack was the first-ever "full-price" steam item i've bought, and even that was a slight sale by virtue of its two-packy-ness. I imagine it might sting slighty if it's on sale for 10 or less within a year, but I'm pretty content with the purchase. I'd probably be more exposed to this kind of hurt if I had something besides a non-gaming laptop to play on.

Has anyone played Disciples III? The reviews don't look good, but I love the art style. If the gameplay is alright, it'd probably be worth $7.50. I've vehemently disagreed with the majoirty of reviews before.

Thoughts?

Pachael

Ookami-kun said:

I wait for the sale. My backlog's large enough as is to cope with the lag in time after a new release, and usually by the sale time the world would have picked apart its strengths and weaknesses.

That said, it's not as if I'm an impulse buyer - got the Tropico 3 pack and Patricians and Merchants for $7.50.

OK, I lie, I bought a whole bunch on sale in the Treasure Hunt. Sucked in, but met lots of great games to play.

EDIT: And I'm running out of disk space. Not ideal!

Volodja

Commandos Complete,Tropico Reloaded and Patricians and Merchants: so much for so little, even if I already owned a few of the games.
It's been years since I last played some of these either in demo form or in their complete versions, maybe I'll manage to actually beat a Commandos game now.

...but I sincerely doubt it considering how unfruitful my last attempt at 2 ended up being.

Minsc

Gold Member
DyslexicAlucard said:
Has anyone played Disciples III? The reviews don't look good, but I love the art style. If the gameplay is alright, it'd probably be worth $7.50. I've vehemently disagreed with the majoirty of reviews before.

Thoughts?

It was recommended to me by a few people here (Draft and another person), on the principle it's enjoyable if a little disappointing - and that it's not a complete disaster that should be avoided. A lot of the changes to the combat didn't bother me, I think if you're a huge fan of the series and HoM&M, at that price you'll get your money's worth. I still haven't gotten around to it, and I'll probably check Heroes VI out before Disciples III, but I do look forward to seeing it when I get the time.

Disciples II was one of my favorite TBS games, so I really do have to make an attempt to get through the third.

Minsc said:
It was recommended to me by a few people here (Draft and another person), on the principle it's enjoyable if a little disappointing - and that it's not a complete disaster that should be avoided. A lot of the changes to the combat didn't bother me, I think if you're a huge fan of the series and HoM&M, at that price you'll get your money's worth. I still haven't gotten around to it, and I'll probably check Heroes VI out before Disciples III, but I do look forward to seeing it when I get the time.

Disciples II was one of my favorite TBS games, so I really do have to make an attempt to get through the third.

I've never really played a lot of TBS games before. Would DIII be a decent place to start? I hear the AI is pretty dumb, which may be a blessing in disguise.

Twig

Banned
Anyone messed with the Steam YouTube linking nonsense? I can't seem to link more than 100 videos. Since it's such an exact number, I'm assuming that's the max. I have more than 100 TF2 videos alone, and I would have liked to link them all. ):

Not a huge deal, as it's not like they're particularly interesting to anyone but the GAF TF2 community (and only a small portion of them, at that), but still.

Minsc

Gold Member
DyslexicAlucard said:
I've never really played a lot of TBS games before. Would DIII be a decent place to start? I hear the AI is pretty dumb, which may be a blessing in disguise.

Having not played DIII yet, I really can't comment, however if you haven't played Heroes of Might and Magic 2 & 3, or Disciples 2 yet, I'd consider starting with those first (though they can be brutally difficult at times), unless the graphics are a complete turn off for you. In which case, I'd move to Heroes V: Tribes of the East (self-contained expansion - best of the Heroes V games), Kings Bounty, or possibly even Heroes VI before Disciples 3, though the sale price of Disciples 3 may be a factor to push that ahead.

Graphically I think they'd fall:

Heroes VI > Disciples 3 > Kings Bounty > Heroes V > Disciples 2 = HoM&M III/II.

Gameplay it'd be more:

Heroes 3 > Heroes 2 = Disciples 2 = Kings Bounty > Heroes V > Disciples 3

cleveridea said:
whats the best kings bounty entry point, they are cheap on gamersgate

I am thinking armored princess, for 3d vision
Yeah, or Crossworlds. It's Armored Princess-Plus. You can't really go wrong with any of them, though.

EDIT: I should mention, if you're worried about the story, Armored Princess is kind of a continuation of The Legend. I don't think you're exactly going to be lost in the details if you jump in at the second one, though.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
cleveridea said:
whats the best kings bounty entry point, they are cheap on gamersgate

I am thinking armored princess, for 3d vision
Ooooh, How much? Is this one of those thing I can buy there and put in my serial/key to download them from Steam?

Salsa

Debating if i should get Tropico 3.. the fact that 4 comes out in August kinda keeps me away from gettin it for some reason.

Sysgen

Minsc said:
Having not played DIII yet, I really can't comment, however if you haven't played Heroes of Might and Magic 2 & 3, or Disciples 2 yet, I'd consider starting with those first (though they can be brutally difficult at times), unless the graphics are a complete turn off for you. In which case, I'd move to Heroes V: Tribes of the East (self-contained expansion - best of the Heroes V games), Kings Bounty, or possibly even Heroes VI before Disciples 3, though the sale price of Disciples 3 may be a factor to push that ahead.

Graphically I think they'd fall:

Heroes VI > Disciples 3 > Kings Bounty > Heroes V > Disciples 2 = HoM&M III/II.

Gameplay it'd be more:

Heroes 3 > Heroes 2 = Disciples 2 = Kings Bounty > Heroes V > Disciples 3

You can put in there Ascension to The Throne. The precursor to Kings Bounty. While not graphically as nice as KB I liked the game play and the strategy as well. Also on sale at gg.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Twig said:
Anyone messed with the Steam YouTube linking nonsense? I can't seem to link more than 100 videos. Since it's such an exact number, I'm assuming that's the max. I have more than 100 TF2 videos alone, and I would have liked to link them all. ):

Not a huge deal, as it's not like they're particularly interesting to anyone but the GAF TF2 community (and only a small portion of them, at that), but still.
Steam Gold accounts (300+ games, at least 150 of good taste) get unlimited.

Don't remember this being there when I pre-ordered the other week, but Steam pre-orders of DiRT3 get a giftable copy of DiRT2 now it seems.

Princess Skittles said:
Ooooh, How much? Is this one of those thing I can buy there and put in my serial/key to download them from Steam?

the legend is $3

crossworlds and armored princess are $6 each

also

cryostasis + necrovision = $4.50 for both (ie NOT $9) cryo is $3.89 by itself

UFO trilogy $6

plus can anyone comment on tehse games which are also cheap

star wolves 2 $4.49, 3 is $9
dawn of magic $6

TONS of games on sale, all the 1c (the company!) stuff

Stallion Free said:
Steam Gold accounts (300+ games, at least 150 of good taste) get unlimited.

A friend of mine once suggested that Steam should have "buying" stats so that you can see how much money you have spent on each individual game with a total.
I'm sure those people always saying how awesome they think they are based on how many games they own on steam would shut up pretty fast when they see how much money they've spent.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
DarkSoul520 said:
A friend of mine once suggested that Steam should have "buying" stats so that you can see how much money you have spent on each individual game with a total.
I'm sure those people always saying how awesome they think they are based on how many games they own on steam would shut up pretty fast when they see how much money they've spent.
Look, seeing how many games we own is kind of depressing for most of us. Seeing the amount of money spent would lead to severe depression.

TheExodu5

Banned
FYI, since Duke Nukem is Steamworks, you can go to D2D, and send referrals to your friends. They can get it for 15% off (on top of the regular 10% pre-order discount), and at the end of the month, you should get a code to get it for 20% off.

That's $36, or $38.25, depending on which route you take. Not too bad.

hamchan

DarkSoul520 said:

Now why would Valve put in something that could lead to reduced sales?

Y'know what they should put in? A download scheduler. Some of us have on and off peak download limits.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
hamchan said:
Y'know what they should put in? A download scheduler. Some of us have on and off peak download limits.
That and auto shutdown on completion would be the sex. Also, being able to access the download manager while in-game would be useful too (without having to alt-tab obviously).

Pachael

DarkSoul520 said:

They do if you look under your account and check on 'transactions'. Unfortunately the list does not have a nice big summary amount at the end. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom