• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ookami-kun said:

How do you guys cope when you bought a game full price then later on see it on sale?

I've heard that's called "getting Steamed." Doesn't happen to me all that often because I rarely buy full price. The only exception was Recettear (sort of - I pre-ordered for 10% off) and I double-dipped when it came in a bundle later for much cheaper. I have bought games on sale and then seen them later for an even lower price, though.

Just console yourself with basic economics: items are worth as much as the buyer is willing to pay for them. If a game looks good enough to make you shell out day 1, so be it. If a lower price sells you, that's also good.

apana

LocoMrPollock said:
It does. Not sure how many activations you get, but you can revoke them when you uninstall.

Not currently no. If Bioshock was using Securom right now then it would be required they tell you somehwhere on the Steam page for it.

apana said:
Not currently no. If Bioshock was using Securom right now then it would be required they tell you somehwhere on the Steam page for it.

Well mine does, so unless they have since removed it, not sure what to tell ya.

Edit: They did remove it via patch. Cool.

apana

LocoMrPollock said:
Well mine does, so unless they have since removed it, not sure what to tell ya.

I'm fairly certain that they did have DRM at one time but then removed it after complaints. I just got Bioshock like two weeks ago off Steam.

edit: saw your edit

stuminus3

scorpscarx said:
Why has rockstar completely abandoned releasing their games on PC, I wan't some RDR on Steam.
Rockstar are so backwards. They released all their games on PC when nobody cared. Now that there's potential, they don't do it anymore. The have a good presence on Steam (and other DD services) too. They even have Manhunt 2 on D2D.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
scorpscarx said:
Why has rockstar completely abandoned releasing their games on PC, I wan't some RDR on Steam.
I'm still waiting, but I doubt it'll ever come out. Reading some old employees reports, it seems that the development cycle of that game was a horrible, horrible mess, with people having to re-do other people's entire work, and everything was rushed the hell up.

If that's really true, coming back to that "messy" sourcecode and porting it to the PC would be too hard (and expensive), so maybe it's not worth financially for Rockstar to do it.

I'm pretty sure I'll eventually just buy it off the Games on Demand service on the 360, since it costs the same as the game + shipping everywhere I find it (and no, I can't buy it locally).

Edit: Wasn't Bully, originally a PS2 game, ported to the PC much, much later tho?

Edit2: Thinking about it, maybe it came along together with the 360 port, so it can't be used as an example... Bummer.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
So does anybody think that Steam will have Facebook integration eventually?

I was thinking about this during the Gabe interview when he mentioned it (during the "single player plus" spiel).. I think it would be nice to be able to post a Steam message to your wall showing your purchases, daily play time and/or achievements earned. And if they put the Facebook chat through the Steam overlay, that would be pretty nice too (though I'm guessing/assuming you can "do this" in a way through the browser overlay, though I have not tried this).

Edit: And with picture/video integration already on Steam.. they could work that in as well.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
NeoandGeo said:
I want a proper Android app for Steam.
Yeah, that would be nice too.

I also think that was touched on in the interview (well, at least they were talking about mobile/mobile devices to some degree).

What do you think would make a good Steam mobile app?

NeoandGeo

Banned
An app to see my friends list, games list, and screenshots with the ability to message mostly. There are a couple apps that can do most of that I think, but I would rather deal with an official app.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
NeoandGeo said:
An app to see my friends list, games list, and screenshots with the ability to message mostly. There are a couple apps that can do most of that I think, but I would rather deal with an official app.
I just noticed that there's an "unofficial" iOS app that seems pretty robust, it shows your profile, your friend list, servers and stats and the Steam news feed. You can't message, apparently, so yeah, that's definitely something an official app would take care of. Maybe being able to get mobile push notifications, if somebody wanted to ask if you could join a game? Or maybe be able to make purchases that will download when you load up the full client.

How come on the Bioshock 1 store page it says "Game requires Internet connection for activation". Don't all Steam games require a connection for activation?

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Syphon Filter said:
How come on the Bioshock 1 store page it says "Game requires Internet connection for activation". Don't all Steam games require a connection for activation?
I believe that's because BioShock was a Games for Windows Live game, right?

stuminus3

anachronous_one said:
I believe that's because BioShock was a Games for Windows Live game, right?
That's BioShock 2, the first one doesn't have GFWL.

I think the store page is out of date, it refers to third party DRM that was patched out of the Steam version.

plc268

I've been playing crysis for the first time in a long time, and holy crap I forgot how buggy this game was. I'm only on the mission where you have to rescue the hostage from the school and kill the two kpa tanks, but it keeps crashing to desktop during that mission.

And the one time it didn't, I killed the two tanks, and the mission objectives never gave me credit for them. At this point, I'm about to give up and move on...

pix

I got a question about pre-loaded games. Currently my internet is out at hmoe (posting from work). I brought in my laptop today to unlock Brink, and I was wondering if there was a way to play it on my desktop at home. I can only play in offline at home, and Brink is still saying Pre-Load. I trasfered the unlocked content from my laptop to my desktop, but can't play. Is there a work around for this that anyone knows of?

Daigoro

Princess Skittles said:
Yeah, that would be nice too.

I also think that was touched on in the interview (well, at least they were talking about mobile/mobile devices to some degree).

What do you think would make a good Steam mobile app?

community, library, and store features.

gotta be able to have access to the sales on the go. the web based steam store sucks on mobile.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Just upgraded to the wireless form of the logitech trackball mouse. It has two extra buttons, which is so useful for Dragon Age.

Green Biker Dude said:
does commandos 3: destination berlin work on windows 7 64 bit? i heard conflicting reports.

what about tropico 3? i want to buy both
I've played Tropico 3 on Windows 7 64-bit with no issues at all.

Hayvic

Green Biker Dude said:
does commandos 3: destination berlin work on windows 7 64 bit? i heard conflicting reports.

what about tropico 3? i want to buy both

I can confirm Tropico 3 as I have it running. I can't think of a reason why commandos 3 wouldn't work but don't take my word for it.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I really, really didn't like Men of War at first. The controls were weird and the camera was awkward.

Then it just clicked with me and I love it. It's the closest thing I've seen yet to being a successor for the "Close Combat" games. I'm enjoying Assault Squad more than regular Men of War so far because the maps are more straight forward and frankly the game is easier.

Pandoracell said:
Of the less than $2 games on sale right now, which one is recommended?

I would throw another .50$ into there and get the Patricians and Merchants pack for Darkstar One, I bought it and I'm really enjoying just flying around and going after pirates or bounties all day. There is other stuff you can do of course, like trade between galaxies or gather resources from asteroids. It's a fun game so far, just wish I had a joystick for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom