• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Notrollious said:
I have a 1.5tb external drive sitting on my desk and not being used. Is it worth backing up all my games to it? I have a 20mbps line so downloading doesn't necessarily take too long.

Umm, if you have a usb 3.0 then yes, 2.0 then no.

Edit: and I mean what kind of question is that, what else were you gonna do with it? It is nice to have all my steam games backed up in a single external drive, I always back them up individually when I download them using the steam backup program.

Kuran

Banned
I'm pretty happy about grabbing Commandos 1 & 2 for such a low price, it's no Jagged Alliance but I'm excited about playing these!

Is it worth to get 3 as well?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Okay, I'm about to get a new PC. I know nothing about anything regarding computer stuff. However, I know that all my precious games are stored on my HD. Can I just plug in my old HD into my new motherboard and everything would be fine? Or will I need to install Steam and redownload all my games on a new HD?

Still debating Star Raiders. It looks like cheap thrills at ten bucks, which is less than I paid for dinner tonight. I'm just not sure my time is worth it.

Anyone have even a tiny impression of it? There's GOT to be someone who picked it up, right? Right?

epmode

WanderingWind said:
Okay, I'm about to get a new PC. I know nothing about anything regarding computer stuff. However, I know that all my precious games are stored on my HD. Can I just plug in my old HD into my new motherboard and everything would be fine? Or will I need to install Steam and redownload all my games on a new HD?
Wouldn't you need to reinstall Windows if you're switching to a new motherboard? I guess you could back up the Steamapps folder and your savegames before reinstalling.

epmode

scorpscarx said:
Edit: What are you talking about Source games? Source games 100% work with alt+tab.
Portal 2 is a huge improvement here but I have lots of trouble with the earlier games. It's pretty much a crapshoot.

WanderingWind said:
Yeah, that'll be fine. Steam should fix its paths and such the first time you run it if they've changed. Delete clientregistry.blob if you have problems.

toasty_T said:
So I just reinstall Steam on the other drive (no cut and paste)?

After backing up the steamapps folder I mean.
Dunno if this still applies, but in the past I've just straight moved the whole thing from one drive to another, no reinstalling or anything.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I wonder if Steam could negotiate with certain devs when fans asked. I want to see SimGolf, Theme Hospital and Wizardry 8 in it. :(

Though I guess dead companies mean it is impossible.

Salsa

Ookami-kun said:
Though I guess dead companies mean it is impossible.

Fuckin Grim Fandango for fuck's sake.

That game was only available as a Windows CD.

One of the greatest games of all time got the most restrictive release ever.

If Grim Fandango appeared on Steam, and had Steamplay so Mac users could enjoy it for the first time, the rotation of the world would change direction based on the massive party everyone in it would be having.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
SalsaShark said:

If Grim Fandango appeared on Steam, and had Steamplay so Mac users could enjoy it for the first time, the rotation of the world would change direction based on the massive party everyone in it would be having.

I wonder how DD companies like Steam would get the rights (and compatibility fixing) on games from dead companies though? Wouldn't that make the games public domain?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
GDJustin said:
Holy shit, Tropico 3 is GREAT. I sat down after dinner to "check it out" and looked up after a while and over FOUR HOURS had gone by. I played until almost midnight and didn't even notice. It's been years since a a game made me lose track of time, like that.

I actually like that it's scenario-based, instead of being open-ended and sandbox-y. I like sim games, but I need goals and direction to really know what to do with myself. It's fun to balance the favors of the US and the USSR and play them against each other. It's fun building tourist hotspots.

Plus, games that have a proper campaign I can put in my "Completed" steam folder, someday.

Bullet point for bullet point Tropico probably barely stacks up to something like Sim City, but the flavor adds a ton. I love little details like my country continuing to pull in "aid" money from the US even though it has a huge profitable coffee and tourism industry. I love tha I can bribe or "disappear" dissenters. And of course... there's the soundtrack.

Someone should make a LTTP topic! I don't wanna make it but I'll support it <3

Oh yeah, one Q - how the fuck can I make my construction workers actually work? They wander around FOREVER, with no active jobs listed at the construction building, even though I sometimes have 10+ buildings that need to be built. In my last game I had three construction buildings, all staffed. And they were all idling, even though I had buildings queued. I know that things in Tropico aren't instant, but I feel like I might be missing something.

I played Tropico 3 again all evening. It's still awesome, although IMMEDIATELY after my last post the difficulty skyrocketed -_- The first three scenarios are nice. You still have to go in with a plan and know what you're doing, but they aren't nuts.

Then all of a sudden BAM. I'm in scenarios where everyone hates me, where it's impossible to get your economy going without digging into a huge hole, etc.

I played pretty much all evening again, and I only beat ONE more scenario. Because I had to restart it several times. It's the one where you have to choose the US or USSR victory path.

But man... this is addicting as hell. Really, really compelling. It's the first time I've felt bad about getting something so cheap on Steam. I'm considering picking up the older Tropico pack just to have more scenarios to go through, once I finish all these. Worried that going backwards might be tough though...

Ookami-kun said:
I wonder how DD companies like Steam would get the rights (and compatibility fixing) on games from dead companies though? Wouldn't that make the games public domain?
The rights have to end up somewhere; things don't go public domain unless the creator explicitly does so or for 75+years. It's just a matter of figuring out who has the rights.

GDJustin said:
I played pretty much all evening again, and I only beat ONE more scenario. Because I had to restart it several times. It's the one where you have to choose the US or USSR victory path.

But man... this is addicting as hell. Really, really compelling. It's the first time I've felt bad about getting something so cheap on Steam. I'm considering picking up the older Tropico pack just to have more scenarios to go through, once I finish all these. Worried that going backwards might be tough though...
Did you get the expansion pack for Tropico 3? Because that has a whole set of scenarios of its own. They're a good progression from the base game's scenarios, too, because they are more aggressive about tweaking the basic mechanics to fit each one's theme.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
slidewinder said:
Did you get the expansion pack for Tropico 3? Because that has a whole set of scenarios of its own. They're a good progression from the base game's scenarios, too, because they are more aggressive about tweaking the basic mechanics to fit each one's theme.

Yeah, I did get the expac. Glad to hear I have a lot more Tropico goodness in front of me.

Immediately after making my post I bought the old Tropico game pack though, ha. It's Tropico 1 + expansion, and Tropico 2, for $1.75.

My thinking was that even if it's hard to go back to the old ones after playing 3, it's only a $1.75 mistake. I had a mediocre burger at a bar the other night and that cost me like $7. The economies of Steam sales are kinda nuts like that, sometimes.

Plus, based on screenshots, it seems like the games aged very nicely anyway. In some ways they look better than 3:

HzAyy.jpg

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
faceless007 said:
The rights have to end up somewhere; things don't go public domain unless the creator explicitly does so or for 75+years. It's just a matter of figuring out who has the rights.

LucasArts, considering they both developed and published the game.

Kunohara

SalsaShark said:

God I would do anything to get Grim Fandango on Steam. I would fucking buy the shit out of it, and buy more copies and gift them out to people who haven't played this game, so they can experience it.

Kunohara said:
God I would do anything to get Grim Fandango on Steam. I would fucking buy the shit out of it, and buy more copies and gift them out to people who haven't played this game, so they can experience it.

I remember Grim Fandango, I think I remember seeing it on the front of a magazine or perhaps seeing the box in stores or something when I was younger.

What was this game about? I seem to recall the character on the cover was like a square skeleton head with big round black eyes or something, and the background was tinted red / dark brown. This is just very vague memories, and I may be thinking of completely the wrong game all together.

Edit - I swear that I didn't look for this before I finished my last post, I went to google after finishing my last post to see if I could confirm my memories or not and low and behold, look what I find!
gfthumbeevt.jpg

As I don't use PayPal I was wondering if a US GAFer would be interested in a gift-trade?

I buy you Witcher 2 (or another game of similar value, that just happens to be out soonest), you buy me Brink. It's not out in the UK for another 13 hours so it'd be cool if I could install and play tonight. They're the same price here, dunno if there's a price discrepency on the US/CA server? PM me if interested. I've done a bunch of trades, 4 packs with other GAFers so I am more legit. than my posts would suggest.

Lime

ColonialRaptor said:
I remember Grim Fandango, I think I remember seeing it on the front of a magazine or perhaps seeing the box in stores or something when I was younger.

What was this game about? I seem to recall the character on the cover was like a square skeleton head with big round black eyes or something, and the background was tinted red / dark brown. This is just very vague memories, and I may be thinking of completely the wrong game all together.

It's basically one of the best games ever. Quality writing, great characters, nice soundtrack and good art direction. It draws upon Casablanca mixed with Dia de los Muertos and Art Deco architetcture. Probably in my Top 10, if not Top 5, of the greatest games ever.

Lime said:
It's basically one of the best games ever. Quality writing, great characters, nice soundtrack and good art direction. It draws upon Casablanca mixed with Dia de los Muertos and art deco art style. Probably in my Top 10, if not Top 5, of the greatest games ever.

What kind of game is it?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Visualante said:
As I don't use PayPal I was wondering if a US GAFer would be interested in a gift-trade?

I buy you Witcher 2 (or another game of similar value, that just happens to be out soonest), you buy me Brink. It's not out in the UK for another 13 hours so it'd be cool if I could install and play tonight. They're the same price here, dunno if there's a price discrepency on the US/CA server? PM me if interested. I've done a bunch of trades, 4 packs with other GAFers so I am more legit. than my posts would suggest.

One thing about that, in my experience even if you get the game gifted, you are still stuck with the release date of your own region.

Example - A friend of mine gifted me Crysis 2 from the US, and despite that i still had to wait until the official australian release date to play it.

Lime

ColonialRaptor said:
What kind of game is it?

Sorry. It's an adventure game, in the same vein as the usual point 'n click adventure games from the 90's. Exception is that Grim Fandango is played as a 3D game with keyboard/controller when controlling the character compared to the usual mouse-only interface of previous PnC adventure games.

Lafiel said:
One thing about that, in my experience even if you get the game gifted, you are still stuck with the release date of your own region.

Example - A friend of mine gifted me Crysis 2 from the US, and despite that i still had to wait until the official australian release date to play it.
Ah this is news to me. I think it is going to be publisher dependent in this case, I've seen people from London playing it.

Binabik15

I´m not sure I asked this before, blame the stupid search function:

Can I copy steam games data, put it on an external HDD and copy it on another pc/the same one at a later time?

My dad´s internet connection is 6 times as fast as mine. BC2 alone will take me at least 6 hours of dl time and that´s not the only thing I bought during the EA sale. It´s so slooooow. Plus, my HDD is getting full, should´ve bought a bigger one. 300 gigs used to be sooo much space. So storing games on external storage would be so much better than re-downloading every time I want to play.

Binabik15 said:
I´m not sure I asked this before, blame the stupid search function:

Can I copy steam games data, put it on an external HDD and copy it on another pc/the same one at a later time?

My dad´s internet connection is 6 times as fast as mine. BC2 alone will take me at least 6 hours of dl time and that´s not the only thing I bought during the EA sale. It´s so slooooow. Plus, my HDD is getting full, should´ve bought a bigger one. 300 gigs used to be sooo much space. So storing games on external storage would be so much better than re-downloading every time I want to play.

Yes, you can do that. You just have to make a copy of the game's files found in the steamapps folder.

desu

Visualante said:
Ah this is news to me. I think it is going to be publisher dependent in this case, I've seen people from London playing it.

I got the US version of Brink gifted, you can only play it with an us IP, otherwise it will tell you that its preloaded and that you have to wait for the game release.

bananaman1234

Unconfirmed Member
crimsonheadGCN said:
Yes, you can do that. You just have to make a copy of the game's files found in the steamapps folder.
Just a note: from my experience it doesn't work for all games. However there is a program that makes moving steam games really easy supposedly. I haven't used it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom