• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
desu said:
I got the US version of Brink gifted, you can only play it with an us IP, otherwise it will tell you that its preloaded and that you have to wait for the game release.
There is a guide to doing just that floating around. Disappointing either way that this has been blocked.

desu

Visualante said:
There is a guide to doing just that floating around. Disappointing either way that this has been blocked.

What I can tell you, the EU version of Brink is unlocked right now on steam, so you can play right away if you get the game now.

edit: at least for germany

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
The Broken Ska Record said:
When do the weekend deals usually go up? Noon (Central) on Thursdays?

Yeah it's noon. I'm pretty sure all sales ever start at noon CST (although for some reason the holiday sale it seemed like 11am).

MNC

Day 16 in my waiting game for Portal 2 to arrive. According to zavvi, 4 holidays were in this period making it awfully hard to get the game to reach from the UK to mainland Europe. It's 'officially' 13 workdays so I can't even file a reclamation yet. Ugh.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Its probably already been mentioned to death... but seriously guys... You need to give the SpaceChem demo a try. This game is... unbelievably clever and engaging. Its still on sale for 4 days.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
SalsaShark said:
Fuckin Grim Fandango for fuck's sake.

That game was only available as a Windows CD.

One of the greatest games of all time got the most restrictive release ever.

If Grim Fandango appeared on Steam, and had Steamplay so Mac users could enjoy it for the first time, the rotation of the world would change direction based on the massive party everyone in it would be having.
If Grim Fandango ever pops up on steam I hope it includes the (great) Brazilian Portuguese dub, it was part of what made the game for me when I played it years ago.

Rufus

Toma said:
Its probably already been mentioned to death... but seriously guys... You need to give the SpaceChem demo a try. This game is... unbelievably clever and engaging. Its still on sale for 4 days.
A bit too clever for me, honestly. The demo was enough for me to see that I don't have what it takes to have fun with this one.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Rufus said:
A bit too clever for me, honestly. The demo was enough for me to see that I don't have what it takes to have fun with this one.

Cant blame you if you tried it. Also took me a while to understand what they actually want from me, so I can see how people arent too fond of the mechanics initially. I guess I just love to tinker with stuff >_>

GDJustin said:
Yeah, I did get the expac. Glad to hear I have a lot more Tropico goodness in front of me.

Immediately after making my post I bought the old Tropico game pack though, ha. It's Tropico 1 + expansion, and Tropico 2, for $1.75.

Tropico 2, being all piratey, is dissimilar enough (while still being recognizably Tropico/awesome) that you'll definitely enjoy that. It's been a long time since I played the first one, but it might be harder to go back to. I also bought all of them in the sale, though, so I'll find out at some point.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Looks like the Serious Sam games are the weekend deal.

Nothing for me this weekend, my wallet can come out of hiding.

edit: beaten

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
I can't tell if this is the weekend deal but Serious Sam HD First and Second are 75% off.

Aren't these games supposed to harken back to Doom/Quake style action?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Princess Skittles said:
I can't tell if this is the weekend deal but Serious Sam HD First and Second are 75% off.

Aren't these games supposed to harken back to Doom/Quake style action?

Yeah thats what it sorta felt like. I wasn't a big fan when I tried it during the free weekend they had a while back. Painkiller probably does a better tribute in reality.

ClosingADoor said:
So, Hearts of Iron. Is that pack recommended for someone who enjoys Europa Universalis? Do the games play very similar?

Well they are based on the same engine and concept. HoI2 runs on the really old EU2 engine while HoI3 runs on the EU3 one (this relates to graphics more than anything).

As a huge fan of their games, I would say EU and HoI have a very different feel. EU3 is definitely a lot more broad in scope and user friendly. It's also probably the best game Paradox has ever made, especially when you get all the expansions.

HoI3, however, has had a lot of mixed reviews and I found it really hard to get into. I haven't tried it with the "Semper Fi" expansion but the 10,000 province map is a bit too vast for me (they went with this many to allow for more encircling of armies). I love "Darkest Hour", which is a fan based full conversion of HoI2 that has a vastly improved map and a lot of new goodies that they improved on from HoI2 (its also a whole lot harder than HoI2 however). Outside that, HoI2 is generally well reviewed and a lot of people enjoy it.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Serious Sam on Sale... I don't like it. I want to buy them since I'm currently running through Doom for the first time and want more. But... =[

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
SalsaShark said:
They harken back to Serious Sam style action
I never played them, I pretty much stopped FPS gaming after Quake III.

wienke said:
Yeah thats what it sorta felt like. I wasn't a big fan when I tried it during the free weekend they had a while back. Painkiller probably does a better tribute in reality.
Hmm okay, it's still pretty cheap so I might try it.

Decado

Three somewhat interesting looking indie games being released:

Garshasp
Steel Storm
Star Raiders

Has anyone played any of these?

Steel Storm looks like it would be a good XBLA/PSN title.

The First Templar is pretty good. It's a co-op beat em' up with local split screen and light rpg elements. Also, runs like butter and doesn't look to shabby. Oh and native 360 pad support.

Decado said:
Three somewhat interesting looking indie games being released:

Garshasp
Steel Storm
Star Raiders

Has anyone played any of these?

Steel Storm looks like it would be a good XBLA/PSN title.

Yeah, I'm interested in Steel Storm as well. A shame none of these have demo's.

Serious Sam.. so tempting... wish I had my original CD's from way back when.

I'll wait for the summer/xmas sale when they get even cheaper.

mrgone

Oh man, Star Raiders? The screens look nice, and there aren't nearly enough space shooters of this style these days, but Atari's track record for remakes is depressing at best. :(

Twig said:
Any reason at all to buy the originals, with the HD editions out?
Of Serious Sam? There are a few small differences that I can think of, mostly to do with the gravity/physics stuff Croteam was experimenting with in their engine at the time. A few of the hidden rooms and puzzles work a little differently without those capabilities in the new engine. It's not too big of a thing, really. There might be stuff I'm missing, but that's all the difference I remember noticing!

nyong

Banned
mrgone said:
Oh man, Star Raiders? The screens look nice, and there aren't nearly enough space shooters of this style these days, but Atari's track record for remakes is depressing at best. :(
I couldn't find any reviews on it. Just added it to my wishlist, though. If I can find a few sources saying it's a passable effort, I'll bite.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Odd, guess I never posted last night. RUSE has an entry for Mac content, for the Mac owners who care.

Also, when flipping though some apps, I found entires for League of Legends. With both that and Spiral Knights, I wonder if Valve is going to start pushing some F2P games (Or if they will even go though with LoL with Dota2 on the horizon, since it was pretty far down)

nexen

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let Star Raiders be good.
The original on the Atari 400 was my own personal heaven when I was a kid.

nyong

Banned
nexen said:
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let Star Raiders be good.
The original on the Atari 400 was my own personal heaven when I was a kid.
It doesn't look good. I found a few forum posts and every single one of them was talking about Atari raping their childhood or the ship being little more than a static picture glued to the screen with no sense of movement.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Has anybody here bought any of Sega's Genesis games on Steam?

Anybody with emulator expertise, I should say.. as in, are these Backbone releases or not?

I was thinking of grabbing the Treasure games just to have yet another copy of them and to prep for double/triple dipping on the upcoming Monster World collection, but if it's going through sub-par emulation, I'll stick with Virtual Console (and my never to be separated from M2 Sega Ages discs).

Also, have they ever been on sale.. should I wait?

Princess Skittles said:
Has anybody here bought any of Sega's Genesis games on Steam?

Anybody with emulator expertise, I should say.. as in, are these Backbone releases or not?

I was thinking of grabbing the Treasure games just to have yet another copy of them and to prep for double/triple dipping on the upcoming Monster World collection, but if it's going through sub-par emulation, I'll stick with Virtual Console (and my never to be separated from M2 Sega Ages discs).

Also, have they ever been on sale.. should I wait?

They had the complete collection for $10 not too long ago. I'd wait for the summer sale as they will probably be super cheap again.

Not sure about the emulation.

nexen

nyong said:
It doesn't look good. I found a few forum posts and every single one of them was talking about Atari raping their childhood or the ship being little more than a static picture glued to the screen with no sense of movement.
NYOOOO. Damnit that really sucks.

Maybe I'll make my own Star Raiders. :(

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I enjoyed the first 3/4th's of Serious Sam 1, hated the last 1/4 and hated pretty much the entirety of Serious Sam 2. Serious Sam 2 also looks seriously ugly.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
DyslexicAlucard said:
Will it confuse the hell out of a newcomer, or is it rather straight-forward?
It's easy to understand, hard to master. If I have to be honest, it's not much harder to grasp than Farmville or something. But it goes deep when stuff gets political and shit, of course. But the main campaign eases you into things pretty well. Although I had to start it a few times over because I failed to understand how to send a ship to another harbour (rightclick).

Sarcasm

wolfmat said:
It's easy to understand, hard to master. If I have to be honest, it's not much harder to grasp than Farmville or something. But it goes deep when stuff gets political and shit, of course. But the main campaign eases you into things pretty well. Although I had to start it a few times over because I failed to understand how to send a ship to another harbour (rightclick).

heh I was having the issue and you solved it for me. (Tried to do it yesterday).

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Sarcasm said:
heh I was having the issue and you solved it for me. (Tried to do it yesterday).
Yeah, I watched the video like ten times or so to see what I was doing wrong. They fucked it up right at the start. But it gets good when you've got the trading mechanics figured out. And once you've set up trade routes with multiple ships and shit, it's all free money and you can concentrate on getting reputation in some city and taking it over politically.

I haven't ventured much further than that, but it's very free-form, which I enjoy. And I don't have to micromanage every fucking trade, that's also really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom