• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Molotov

nyong said:
It doesn't look good. I found a few forum posts and every single one of them was talking about Atari raping their childhood or the ship being little more than a static picture glued to the screen with no sense of movement.

It sucks like Haunted House and Yar's Revenge, big surprise.

nexen

Joe Molotov said:
It sucks like Haunted House and Yar's Revenge, big surprise.
Check out the demo. Looks decidely ok to me. It's a light space combat game with upgrades and decent graphics. I'm starving for space combat games so I'll bite if it plays well enough.

mrgone

nyong said:
It doesn't look good. I found a few forum posts and every single one of them was talking about Atari raping their childhood or the ship being little more than a static picture glued to the screen with no sense of movement.
Well, at least they're consistent. Hopefully there's still enough there to pick up during a sale. Star Raiders was such a neat game for its time, though. :( Quicklookin'..

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Don't suppose anyone picked up The First Templar? I'm looking for impressions, but haven't had any luck yet.

Zefah said:
Don't suppose anyone picked up The First Templar? I'm looking for impressions, but haven't had any luck yet.

It's decent. I got if for like $25 or something, not sure if I'd pay $40 for it just yet.

I've only played through the first couple levels, but it runs good, doesn't look bad, and the combat feels pretty good, nothing special, but it gets the job done. Split screen is nice, and it has native 360 pad support.

The rpg elements are pretty light, but you have skill trees for each character and there's a few sidequests here and there.

All in all, it's really not bad and the PC is kind of light on games like this, so it might be worth picking up if you're in the mood for it, otherwise, wait for a sale.

Edit: Oh, and the story, setting and characters aren't bad either.

Finally moved my Steam directory from C:\ on my SSD to another 2TB HD which has 500GB left on it. Decided this morning to download and install all the games that I haven't downloaded and installed yet.

So, EA Week Games will be downloading... probably going to use like 50GB of my cap as well :/

Ahh well, it will be nice to have a completely white Steam Collection :)

LocoMrPollock said:
It's decent. I got if for like $25 or something, not sure if I'd pay $40 for it just yet.

I've only played through the first couple levels, but it runs good, doesn't look bad, and the combat feels pretty good, nothing special, but it gets the job done. Split screen is nice, and it has native 360 pad support.

The rpg elements are pretty light, but you have skill trees for each character and there's a few sidequests here and there.

All in all, it's really not bad and the PC is kind of light on games like this, so it might be worth picking up if you're in the mood for it, otherwise, wait for a sale.

Edit: Oh, and the story, setting and characters aren't bad either.

So it sounds decidedly average - which is a difficult proposition to make the jump to purchase that game at anything over $10 for me, especially when Witcher 2 is so close around the corner.

Kevin

^ I did the same. I bought a 3tb external drive (own two of them) for $130 on sale from Newegg and I installed Steam and my game library to it. Also updated my new (Time Warner) to 15mb. So I'm currently pretty satisfied with my setup. :)

Joe Molotov

I kinda want First Templar, but honestly it looks like one of those games that'll be half off in a month and $2.50 by the Christmas sale.

I at one time installed over 200 of my games, but Steam became basically unresponsive. Now, I keep them all in a separate folder on one of my drives and drop the folders and verify the files when I am starting a new game. It's good because it keeps me focused on certain games since my list of things to play appears smaller.
(Although I am "currently playing" over 30 games right now :p )

epmode

LocoMrPollock said:
Unless you plan on playing co-op with the Sam games, I'd skip them. The single player is an exercise in frustration and just really not that fun.
So wrong it hurts. I've played co-op only a handful of times yet Serious Sam is still one of my favorite FPS games. Yes, in single-player.

The few REALLY ridiculous fights are just part of the fun. Gotta love an FPS where finding enough ammo for your weapons isn't the problem, it's using the weapons efficiently enough to kill the incoming monsters before you're swamped.

epmode said:
So wrong it hurts. I've played co-op at most 5 times yet Serious Sam is still one of my favorite FPS games.

The HD one? I dunno, I gave up and turned cheats on. I seem to remember liking the OG more, maybe I was more badass back then, but the new one just pissed me off, and it seemed like you really needed some help.

Decado said:
Star Raiders

Has anyone played any of these?

I played the Star Raiders demo last night. It sucks, and I try to be fair to games. The new Yars Revenge was better. It got 2 stars from me but as always YMMV.

LastWindow said:
A shame none of these have demo's.

There's a demo for Star Raiders if you have an Xbox. Sure, graphics will be better on PC version but it won't matter because the gameplay is what's terrible.

epmode

LocoMrPollock said:
The HD one? I dunno, I gave up and turned cheats on. I seem to remember liking the OG more, maybe I was more badass back then, but the new one just pissed me off, and it seemed like you really needed some help.
As far as I can tell, the HD remakes play almost identically to the original games, monster count included.

Changing tastes, perhaps? I really really really really really like Serious Sam.

Peerbreed

Neo Member
Princess Skittles said:
Has anybody here bought any of Sega's Genesis games on Steam?

Anybody with emulator expertise, I should say.. as in, are these Backbone releases or not?

I was thinking of grabbing the Treasure games just to have yet another copy of them and to prep for double/triple dipping on the upcoming Monster World collection, but if it's going through sub-par emulation, I'll stick with Virtual Console (and my never to be separated from M2 Sega Ages discs).

Also, have they ever been on sale.. should I wait?

If you're planning on buying them now, don't do it. The Genesis games go on sale quite often and they recently had the whole collection on sale. It's a solid release if you want to have them on Steam over emulation.

Kevin

AngryChinchilla said:
I at one time installed over 200 of my games, but Steam became basically unresponsive. Now, I keep them all in a separate folder on one of my drives and drop the folders and verify the files when I am starting a new game. It's good because it keeps me focused on certain games since my list of things to play appears smaller.
(Although I am "currently playing" over 30 games right now :p )

This is strange. I have 342 games installed in Steam and the same as it did when I would just have a couple installed. I certainly hope I don't ever run into any problem with this.

I just downloaded the demo for Serious Sam: The First Encounter: The HDening and added all three games to my wishlist on like Wednesday and now the first two games are on sale.

mrgone

jaundicejuice said:
I just downloaded the demo for Serious Sam: The First Encounter: The HDening and added all three games to my wishlist on like Wednesday and now the first two games are on sale.

Quick, add Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines to your wishlist

Kuran

Banned
I've never played the Serious Sam games.. so what should I get?

Seems like the HD remakes are a sure bet.. is it worth it to get the HD Double Pack?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Kuran said:
I've never played the Serious Sam games.. so what should I get?

Seems like the HD remakes are a sure bet.. is it worth it to get the HD Double Pack?
I thought 2 sucked pretty badly after playing it recently, 1 was a lot better for the first 3/4.

Serious Sam is cool, quite a long game too unless you play it on easy or something. I just get bored of it after half way through yet I can keep playing doom to the end, my only gripe.

graywolf323

okay this is weird suddenly Steam can't seem to download for me

edit: nvm changing the download region a couple times seems to have fixed it

Carm

Serious Sam HD 1/2 are fun in single player. The only issue I have, and it may be an issue with all these old school fps, is that the battles go on a little to long. It became tiresome after what seemed like 100 waves in some areas lol. If they would have cut down in just a few spots it would have felt a lot better. The game rhythm felt off in those sections.

Definitely worth playing though.

Salsa

Just bought a new Samsung 1.5TB HDD. Made a partition of 1TB labeled Steam. Body is ready for Summer Sales.

Moving my folder now, see you in 3 years.

SalsaShark said:
Just bought a new Samsung 1.5TB HDD. Made a partition of 1TB labeled Steam. Body is ready for Summer Sales.

Moving my folder now, see you in 3 years.
I bought a new 500GB drive the other week, it's become my dedicated game drive along side my 160GB which is left for windows and my 3D stuff.

Feels good man.

I started with a 160GB hdd because this is a super cheap £400 budget pc rig which is still running strong to this day :D

Salsa

Diablohead said:
along side my 160GB which is left for windows and my 3D stuff.

inxxSa.PNG

BROS

Salsa

bigas said:
I'm quite new to Steam, I'm on it since October last year. Is summer sale all that good?

I think summer sale is a pretty cool guy. eh gives away games for little money and doesn’t afraid of anything…

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
bigas said:
I'm quite new to Steam, I'm on it since October last year. Is summer sale all that good?

It was amazing last year, rivaled the Holiday sale. But that was the first year so nobody really knows for sure if it will happen again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom