• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamspy

I just want a basic music player in the Steam overlay. I don't know why it's not there yet. Seems like an obvious addition.

kamspy said:
Good luck alt-tab ing out of a Source game.

Umm you have to shift+tab anyway for the overlay, and alt tabbing/just alting works 99% of the time.

Plus audio quality is very high with foobar and making playlists is what it is all about.

Foobar = quality + mini footprint.

Edit: What are you talking about Source games? Source games 100% work with alt+tab.

Mr_Zombie

Syphon Filter said:
How is the Tomb raider legend game? If i liked underworld will i like legend?
Legend is more linear and more action/shooting oriented than Underworld; and it's shorter too (about 6-7 hours max). The game mechanics are very similiar, there're just more urban levels with human enemies. But yes, I think you will like it if you liked Underworld.

kamspy

That's crazy. I can only get alt+tab to work on Source games maybe, 10% of the time, at best. Portal 2 wouldn't let me do it once.

kamspy

Detox said:
Don't need to alt+tab if you got a keyboard with multimedia keys, fuck yeah.

I've never even used those lol.

Still, these are all nice workarounds, but it seems like a simple thing to add a little mp3 player to the overlay right?

kamspy said:
I've never even used those lol.

Still, these are all nice workarounds, but it seems like a simple thing to add a little mp3 player to the overlay right?

Sounds simple, but the last thing I personally would want is a superfluous music player making the overlay work harder and use any more resources than it does now.

Whats your computer spec, is your windows copy legit? I can ALWAYS alt-tab valve and source games, its one reason I like them, lol.

Detox

What if Valve make the overlay customisable like browsers? I have no idea if that is possible but just make it something like Chrome. People who don't mind the overlay hogging their system can just download extensions for it made by the community.

kamspy

275 GTX, Phenom II 955, Win7 x64

I've got plenty of RAM. I'm not worried about the extra dozen MB it would take for a music player in the overlay.

O btw man, you can run Grooveshark in the in-game browser, problem solved :)

2fZgE.jpg

plc268

kamspy said:
That's crazy. I can only get alt+tab to work on Source games maybe, 10% of the time, at best. Portal 2 wouldn't let me do it once.

Again, use borderless window mode... never have to worry about alt-tabbing freezing the game again. Frankly, I wish more games had this.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
plc268 said:
Again, use borderless window mode... never have to worry about alt-tabbing freezing the game again. Frankly, I wish more games had this.
Like Dragon Age...

Shahadan

When was the last time Last Remnant has been on sale? I'd really love to try the vastly superior PC version.
Loved it on 360 despite the technical issues.

29,99€ right now. A bit too much to double dip.

I think I would create a LTTP thread next time.

Shahadan said:
When was the last time Last Remnant has been on sale? I'd really love to try the vastly superior PC version.
Loved it on 360 despite the technical issues.

29,99€ right now. A bit too much to double dip.

I think I would create a LTTP thread next time.
I think it was during the winter holiday sale. I wanna say it was like $20 on its own and also included in the ~$70 Square-Enix-Eidos bundle. Couldn't tell you about European pricing.

NeoandGeo said:
An [Android] app to see my friends list, games list, and screenshots with the ability to message mostly. There are a couple apps that can do most of that I think, but I would rather deal with an official app.

The whole reason I would want an Android Steam app would be to check the store and buy things that are on sale while I'm away from my PC. Since the sales often run during the summer and holidays I am sometimes on vacation with no laptop and this would be nice.

With the browser I can do this now but it's a poor experience as the site is not laid out for a small screen.

mrgone

Themacabre said:
You can also control Foobar (and others) from a web interface.

Using the foo_httpcontrol plugin or the like.
Sweet! I'd just been using global hotkeys for pause/play/next/prev, but playlist control in the in-game browser's a novel idea :)

Cthulhu Saves the World heading to Steam:

Just got an email from Valve. Looks like we’ve been approved for release on Steam.

Haven’t worked out the details yet, but we’re planning on selling it for $3. Hoping to get it released by the end of the month.

http://zeboyd.com/2011/05/11/cthulhu-saves-the-world-heading-to-steam/

Also probably Breath of Death VII:

Thought of an idea of how to port BoDVII to the PC without too much work. Think we might just end up selling a CSTW + BoDVII combo for $3.

Basically, what I'm going to do is create a copy of Cthulhu Saves the World (which works on PC) and then add the BoDVII assets to it.

That should be a lot easier than trying to get the original BoDVII code working in XNA 4.0 and then working on the PC.

http://twitter.com/werezompire/

Shahadan

MacGurcules said:
I think it was during the winter holiday sale. I wanna say it was like $20 on its own and also included in the ~$70 Square-Enix-Eidos bundle. Couldn't tell you about European pricing.

Thanks.

I just remembered a friend bought it 7€ last summer at a game store, after checking it appears it is a permanent offer.
Bomba hard.

Anyway, bought! Yay! Time to do 316138 good sidequests and ignore boring main quest again !

Ashour

The Broken Ska Record said:
A Steam app for Android would be amazing. Being able to browse the store, maybe setup downloads away from home, and check my friends list and other Steam stuff would be awesome.
Yes. Even if just browsing the store for a start. Steam sometimes get so messed up when opened on a phone's browser.

Tropico 3 is a blast

But I have to wonder why I have to break up a rebellion almost every month despite having a 65% approval rating, and my country makes 30,000 dollars every month from exports. And I have a thriving middle class.

I should have a peaceful island nation (of communists), but I've shaped my nation in a way that I try to give peace and prosperity to everyone. Free food, free health, free rent, high wages for factories, ample housing.

I should be loved by all, and I won the last election with 80% of the votes without any foul play.

But I still have a constant rebel problem. And every single time they destroy my furniture factory, the money maker of the island, that provides dozens of middle class Tropico residents with a steady job.

Oreoleo

Narag said:
DId you click Finish? It doesn't auto-complete during it's installation.

>_<

Of course. There's a Punkbuster window hidden behind the Steam window, but it doesn't have a tab in my taskbar so I didn't know it was even there. Thanks man.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
nincompoop said:
So, uh, this looks pretty damn cool.

LUME

Anyone wanna bite? Only six bucks and change for a P 'n' C adventure with a really interesting art style.

Yeah has anyone played this? I almost impulse bought it. Might grab it later tonight

balladofwindfishes said:
Tropico 3 is a blast

But I have to wonder why I have to break up a rebellion almost every month despite having a 65% approval rating, and my country makes 30,000 dollars every month from exports. And I have a thriving middle class.

I should have a peaceful island nation (of communists), but I've shaped my nation in a way that I try to give peace and prosperity to everyone. Free food, free health, free rent, high wages for factories, ample housing.

I should be loved by all, and I won the last election with 80% of the votes without any foul play.

But I still have a constant rebel problem. And every single time they destroy my furniture factory, the money maker of the island, that provides dozens of middle class Tropico residents with a steady job.

I think you answered your own question. They strike at the factory as a symbol of your repression in order to destabilize your authoritarian rule and to prove that they are not mere cattle to be herded about by a dictator. You have made their lives easier, but have taking all the meaning out, and they must strike at you in order to have a sense of purpose.

Or maybe the game just likes throwing rebellions at you to keep things interesting.

Narag

Orellio said:
>_<

Of course. There's a Punkbuster window hidden behind the Steam window, but it doesn't have a tab in my taskbar so I didn't know it was even there. Thanks man.

No problem, it happened to me. Twice!

I have a 1.5tb external drive sitting on my desk and not being used. Is it worth backing up all my games to it? I have a 20mbps line so downloading doesn't necessarily take too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom