• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone recommend me a good flight sim that leans more towards the casual, I'll be playing with a mouse. I read some early reviews of Cliffs of Dover that were really negative.

Anyway I have a huge flight sim hole in my library.
Edit: Just remembered I have an Xbox controller, so I guess I could use that.

1-D_FTW

AcridMeat said:
Going to pre-order Dirt 3 tomorrow, I didn't know you get a free copy of Dirt 2 on Steam with it. That said, I'm debating whether to trade the game for something or play it.

Play it, man! It's been on sale for 5.00 dollars so many times I doubt it has much trade value, but it's a fantastic game! Why wait for the off-road awesomeness.

nexen

1-D_FTW said:
I wouldn't post it anywhere else. Guy sounds like a BS Artist.
It doesn't mean anything at all, honestly. The base engine already ran on PC so R* probably just kept it going as part of their development pipeline. It doesn't mean they are going to release it. I've seen this done with several games that never saw a PC release. The editing tools were in Windows so the windows build needed to be maintained for the editor.

Salsa

Im expecting more DLC on Red Dead and then a GOTY kinda thing that also gets released on PC.

Im probably crazy, but that's what im hoping for at least.

I also think that LA Noire will come eventually.

SalsaShark said:
Im expecting more DLC on Red Dead and then a GOTY kinda thing that also gets released on PC.

Im probably crazy, but that's what im hoping for at least.

I also think that LA Noire will come eventually.

They're done with the DLC for Red Dead, but it wouldn't surprise me if they released the collection for PC. It's already a beautiful game, but I'd love to see it running on a PC at 60fps and 1080p.

I've still yet to finish it, for some reason it just never clicked with me. I had a ton more fun with GUN, but I doubt it would hold up now.

1-D_FTW

I hope RDR is coming to PC (same thing with LA Noire). It's just after the horror stories people have mentioned about RDR development, I'm not holding my breath over it.

graywolf323

LocoMrPollock said:
I've still yet to finish it, for some reason it just never clicked with me. I had a ton more fun with GUN, but I doubt it would hold up now.

holy crap, same as me

I think we are probably in a very small minority with that sentiment

Salsa

1-D_FTW said:
I hope RDR is coming to PC (same thing with LA Noire). It's just after the horror stories people have mentioned about RDR development, I'm not holding my breath over it.

The fact that GTA IV was pretty craptastic regarding optimization on release also doesnt help.

However i think that these horror stories and bad optimization issues are exactly the hold up, and the reason why a PC version hasnt been revealed yet, cause they're working through these issues.

idk, i guess i just have some sort of blind faith on Rockstar

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
How is that Terraria game able to get away with right out stealing character graphics wholesale?

And what's with the "spinning" tool/weapon syndrome in indie games? It just makes the games plain not fun in most cases.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
scorpscarx said:
Can anyone recommend me a good flight sim that leans more towards the casual, I'll be playing with a mouse. I read some early reviews of Cliffs of Dover that were really negative.

Anyway I have a huge flight sim whole in my library.
Edit: Just remembered I have an Xbox controller, so I guess I could use that.
You're doing it wrong.

Anyway, check out IL-2 Sturmovik if you don't want to touch MSFS or X-Plane.

Buy a stick. They're dirt cheap.

Dynoro

wolfmat said:
You're doing it wrong.

Anyway, check out IL-2 Sturmovik if you don't want to touch MSFS or X-Plane.

Buy a stick. They're dirt cheap.
This man speaks the truth; IL2 with a stick is great fun (and you can change the settings to make it as arcadey/realistic as you like)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
SalsaShark said:
The fact that GTA IV was pretty craptastic regarding optimization on release also doesnt help.

However i think that these horror stories and bad optimization issues are exactly the hold up, and the reason why a PC version hasnt been revealed yet, cause they're working through these issues.

idk, i guess i just have some sort of blind faith on Rockstar

I imagine RDR would run a ton better than GTAIV just for the simple fact that there isn't nearly as much stuff on screen at any given time.

plc268

crimsonheadGCN said:
Here's the official website for Terraria: http://www.terraria.org/

The game's been in development since January 2011, it'll be a Steamworks title, and $9.99

Hmm I think I'll wait for impressions on this one before I jump in. 4 months seems to be an awfully short dev time for a game.

TheExodu5 said:
I would buy Red Dead so fast on PC. It's a very pretty game, and needs a PC to do it justice.

Yep, so would I. RDR is a great game, and I'd gladly double dip to get it on the PC.

Dynoro said:
This man speaks the truth; IL2 with a stick is great fun (and you can change the settings to make it as arcadey/realistic as you like)

IL2 1946 still skirts along the sim line more than anything. I suggest getting Wings of Prey (which is also known as IL2 Birds of Prey on the consoles) instead. That game is a little more polished and it's more arcade like, if you want it that way. Plus, they recently got rid of the godawful drm that was on that game, so that's a plus.

Bought the serious sam pack and discovered something I found kinda funny.

I was setting up the classic edition so I could play split screen with my friends on the TV and discovered that before I started fixing the controls one player could control all characters on the screen at the same time. A potential four man team of sorts of synchronized death and mayhem if you will.

Such a shame that they have removed split screen from the HD editions though...

Nabs

Ookami-kun said:
I had to download Desura to download the demo. Weird. I'll uninstall it afterwards though.
The site linked you to a download page, but you ended up clicking on a banner instead of the download link. Desura kind of sucks, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

TheExodu5

Banned
With all the flight sim talk...I have Wings of Prey and IL2 and I haven't played them yet. I might go pick up a stick tonight. What should I be looking for in a stick?

plc268

TheExodu5 said:
With all the flight sim talk...I have Wings of Prey and IL2 and I haven't played them yet. I might go pick up a stick tonight. What should I be looking for in a stick?

What's your budget?

coopolon

plc268 said:
What's your budget?

I don't know what his budget is, but I'm also interested and want to get as cheap a stick as possible that's still decent enough for a complete non-enthusiast like me to enjoy it. I've looked several times at the $30 range sticks on Amazon.

plc268

coopolon said:
I don't know what his budget is, but I'm also interested and want to get as cheap a stick as possible that's still decent enough for a complete non-enthusiast like me to enjoy it. I've looked several times at the $30 range sticks on Amazon.

For $34:

Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CXYMFS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's a great entry level stick that's also compatible with the PS3. Cheap and reasonable durable as well.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Looking at Star Raiders screens has me thinking it's time to pick up a decent stick. Then maybe I could give X3 fair shot.

The last game I played on a stick was.... Wing Commander: Prophecy. Launch day.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
GDJustin said:
I played Tropico 3 again all evening. It's still awesome, although IMMEDIATELY after my last post the difficulty skyrocketed -_- The first three scenarios are nice. You still have to go in with a plan and know what you're doing, but they aren't nuts.

Then all of a sudden BAM. I'm in scenarios where everyone hates me, where it's impossible to get your economy going without digging into a huge hole, etc.

I played pretty much all evening again, and I only beat ONE more scenario. Because I had to restart it several times. It's the one where you have to choose the US or USSR victory path.

But man... this is addicting as hell. Really, really compelling. It's the first time I've felt bad about getting something so cheap on Steam. I'm considering picking up the older Tropico pack just to have more scenarios to go through, once I finish all these. Worried that going backwards might be tough though...

Just to continue my one man Tropico 3 love-in -

I spent another evening playing more or less obsessively, and again I only cleared one scenario. For the first time I had a "FUUUUUUUUU" moment, instead of everything being fun an lollipops.

There's a mission where you have to get your population to 65% happiness. I got to 64%, and couldn't do anything to eek out that final 1%. I'd pull out all my "tricks" to even get to 64, so I watched it dip back down to 62... 61. A couple hours down the drain :(

I failed another mission by getting caught in this kind-of weird, starvation death spiral. I'd been riding the population line a bit too hard all game. Building stuff just a BIT faster than my population could staff it all. So then there was a hurricane that destroyed some farms. Before I could get them rebuilt some people starved to death.

This set off a spiral that, as far as I could tell, I was helpless to fix. People starving to death = less employees for farms = more people starving to death.

Some of this frustration is my fault. Most scenarios have about a ~45 minute set-up period, where you're building the same buildings, going through the same steps. What I need to start doing is making sure I SAVE at that point, so I don't have to start over if things go south.

nyong

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
That's what I bought after I picked up Wings of Prey during the Holiday sale. Impressions? Seems nice. My closet seems to like it.
Maybe I'm just dense, but I'm having trouble interpreting this post. You do like and would recommend the stick, right?

1-D_FTW

nyong said:
Maybe I'm just dense, but I'm having trouble interpreting this post. You do like and would recommend the stick, right?

It's my attempt at being funny. Sorry. Yes, it seems like a good stick. But like most things I purchase through the Steam sales, sits unused and in a backlog.

nyong

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
It's my attempt at being funny. Sorry. Yes, it seems like a good stick. But like most things I purchase through the Steam sales, sits unused and in a backlog.
Ok, sorry. That's what I thought haha. I didn't realize a good stick could be had at that price. I've been itching for a flight/space sim so I'm giving that stick serious consideration.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is there any way to set a notification for when specific games go on sale? I was just considering Bioshock 1 and/or 2 but checking steamgamesales they were £3.50 each less than a month ago, and they're £14 each now. So I'm waiting for a price cut. But I'd like to be notified when the price drops?

Yaweee

plc268 said:
Hmm I think I'll wait for impressions on this one before I jump in. 4 months seems to be an awfully short dev time for a game.

There's already a few dozen hours of Let's Play/tutorial videos on Youtube, and it looks awesome. It's like a Metroidvania 2D dungeon crawler with a destroyable/buildable/craftable world.

http://www.youtube.com/user/PaperBatVG

I agree that the rotating weapons/tools look dumb; the guns and bombs look a lot more fun to use.

Old placeholder graphics/sounds have been replaced with original content since the builds leaked or whatever.

I played with that stick in a store last week(or something very similiar), those things feel damn cheap and lightweight to me.

It also feels flimsy as it breaks apart in the middle, I just don't know.

Not to mention I have no place to mount, or put it while playing.

Most of those are my own damn problems, yea.

plc268

TheExodu5 said:
I don't know. That Thrustmaster stick posted seems nice for the price...what would I get by spending more? I'd like to be able to play IL2/WoP, but wouldn't mind trying Flight Sim X either.

I will probably buy from Futureshop, so this is what I have to choose from:

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/cate...spx?path=69ee8250717d60a9fc92c4f4ba200d8een01

You mostly get better mechanics as you spend more. At the price, the Thrustmaster is great, but if you're serious about flight simming (or abuse your sticks), I would recommend the Saitek X52. The thrustmaster isn't flimsy by any means though.

Also, if you go with the Saitek X52, you don't necessarily need the pro. The standard version is great on it's own. Although, I have to say, that the X52 on the futureshop site is way overpriced. It's $80 USD on amazon.com, and can be had cheaper elsewhere. If you do decide that route, I highly suggest shopping around for a better price.

TheExodu5

Banned
plc268 said:
You mostly get better mechanics as you spend more. At the price, the Thrustmaster is great, but if you're serious about flight simming (or abuse your sticks), I would recommend the Saitek X52. The thrustmaster isn't flimsy by any means though.

Also, if you go with the Saitek X52, you don't necessarily need the pro. The standard version is great on it's own. Although, I have to say, that the X52 on the futureshop site is way overpriced. It's $80 USD on amazon.com, and can be had cheaper elsewhere. If you do decide that route, I highly suggest shopping around for a better price.

Thanks.

As for the price...that's what I get for being in Canada. :(

It was on sale 2 weeks ago, apparently, for $145 (the Pro model). I might get the regular stick for $45, and get the X52 pro if I really get into it, down the road.

Blizzard

Banned
dLMN8R said:
WTF??

Fable 3 uses SecuRom with a 5-machine activation limit IN FUCKING ADDITION TO GFW Live?
On the plus side, modern securom can presumably have licenses regained if you use their special tool. On the negative side, steam + gfwl + securom (with install limits) is hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom