• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

Blizzard said:
On the plus side, modern securom can presumably have licenses regained if you use their special tool. On the negative side, steam + gfwl + securom (with install limits) is hilarious.
It resets every month, so it's just there to piss everyone off.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Nabs said:
It resets every month, so it's just there to piss everyone off.

As long as its the "5 installs per month" thing, I'm A-okay with this.

It's the whole Crysis "5 installs forever" thing that really makes it horrible.

LQX

dLMN8R said:
WTF??

Fable 3 uses SecuRom with a 5-machine activation limit IN FUCKING ADDITION TO GFW Live?
Thus why I will always be a console gamer in addition a to PC gamer. I'm not putting up with that shit on PC. If true whoever runs GFWL has no fucking clue. I just dont get why add cost in the first place by paying to put SecuRom on a game with 2 layers of DRM already.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeah. Though they right now crash servers (I think only the Client side got the items, and Valve didn't put them into the server files)

LQX said:
Thus why I will always be a console gamer in addition a to PC gamer. I'm not putting up with that shit on PC. If true whoever runs GFWL has no fucking clue. I just dont get why add cost in the first place by paying to put SecuRom on a game with 2 layers of DRM already.

GFWL doesn't really have DRM, it's integrated with SecuRom, and that's why all GFWL games have it. Unless it is specifically patched out of the Steam version, like Bioshock which is the only example I know of, but that's not really LIVE enabled.

Anyway, 5 activations a month is more than enough, so I'm not really worried about it and it will be nice to run Fable 3 at more than 20fps.

dejan

DoctorPayne said:
What about it is worse?
All you have to know is that Radon Lans had to file for bankruptcy during the development. They later got permission to continue work till they basically reach a shippable state. And it shows, the main quest line is nothing more than a string of boring (absurdly stretched) fights. Ok, but how about new items, interesting sidequests or story you ask? Exactly!

dejan said:
All you have to know is that Radon Lans had to file for bankruptcy during the development. They later got permission to continue work till they basically reach a shippable state. And it shows, the main quest line is nothing more than a string of boring (absurdly stretched) fights. Ok, but how about new items, interesting sidequests or story you ask? Exactly!

That... doesn't sound promising.

I really want LA Noire to come to PC because the one thing I feel like it lacks is graphical fidelity on the consoles and on PC it would look incredible!

Here's hoping!

However, the fact that Red Dead hasn't made the jump across yet doesn't instill me with a large amount of hope.

I think it's a silly move to be honest. More and more people are moving to PC.

Carm

Alright, something has been bugging me about game installs for awhile, maybe someone can help. I have 3 hd's 1st 2 partitions os/programs 2nd backup stuff, 3rd nothing on it yet. Every time you install a game, directx pops up of course, some games install MS Visual C++ redistributables, which is fine. What is odd, is that on my second and third hard drives, files pop up for some reason like below.

Why in the hell are these files getting put on the second and third hard drives when my Steam installation and os are on the first drive? I can just remove these files on the second and third drive?

files.jpg

Exuro

I would buy both LA Noire and RDR if they hit PC. I'm guessing that PC sales of GTA 4 weren't enough to justify making PC versions compared to the consoles.

Carm said:
Why in the hell are these files getting put on the second and third hard drives when my Steam installation and os are on the first drive? I can just remove these files on the second and third drive?
Yes, you can remove them. It's just a particular, old version of the VC redistributable (which some Steam games from that time period still carry) that had a bug such that it would spew those files into the root of a drive instead of a temp folder.

slidewinder said:
Yes, you can remove them. It's just a particular, old version of the VC redistributable (which some Steam games from that time period still carry) that had a bug such that it would spew those files into the root of a drive instead of a temp folder.
Thank you, I've been wondering about that.

Kevin

Exuro said:
I would buy both LA Noire and RDR if they hit PC. I'm guessing that PC sales of GTA 4 weren't enough to justify making PC versions compared to the consoles.

That's because nearly nobody could run it. Game runs like crap. On max settings it brings by $730 Geforce GTX 590 to it's knees reaching 30 frames and sometimes below.

Carm

slidewinder said:

Thanks, that was really bugging the hell out of me.

LQX said:

Right because those online activation passes that are all the rage with recent console games for accessing content is so much more awesome than SecuROM or TAGES.

What's going here? I was going to gift Civilization IV Complete to a friend, but now it doesn't appear in my region anymore. Especially since I bought Civilization IV Complete while it was on sale a while ago...

Psy-Phi

Kevin said:
That's because nearly nobody could run it. Game runs like crap. On max settings it brings by $730 Geforce GTX 590 to it's knees reaching 30 frames and sometimes below.
So...better than the console versions you say? :p

I'd love to get RDR on PC. Actually haven't bought any of it's DLC because I keep holding out hope that it will come with everything to PC someday.

Carm

slidewinder said:

Small followup question. What if I still had those games installed, won't I still need those? I was under the impression some games didnt play nicely with different versions.

Echoplx

Carm said:
Small followup question. What if I still had those games installed, won't I still need those? I was under the impression some games didnt play nicely with different versions.

Those are just temporary extracted files, not the actual installation.

Carm

Thanks, was getting a tad paranoids after deleting those but still having the games associated with them installed and not played yet.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Okay, this is just... incredible and I need to share it with you to convince some more people to buy this game

Spacechem - still on sale for 2 days or something like that

I started of playing the game and mastered the first level in the way the game tutored me.

2 hours later I came back and was able to improve it because of my better skills.

Again 6 hours later I was taking another look at it and further improved myself... now my highscore for the first level is (dont check the spoiler if you have not played the game yet, try to improve on your own pace)
6 symbols and 57 cycles
, which wasnt even remotely thinkable yesterday.

This game is soooo good when it comes to applying you knowledge, improving and refining. I know that there must be an end somewhere regarding to how much you can improve these solutions, but the sole fact that at the different stages my skill in this game was, I was able to come up with completely different solutions is just... blowing my mind.

Seriously, this game is the best game I've ever encountered when it comes to measuring your logic. The first level alone would be simple enough to put into an IQ test and still have quite a lot of range to measure how much people can refine their solution.

When playing just now I needed to think of Layton as a game which sort of measures your problem solving capabilities by giving you puzzles with different set of rules each time. This is sort of the opposite, by giving you the same set of rules and constantly challenging you with more intricate "levels". This is not unlike other games (like Tetris or whatever) but it rather has a sort of "Highscore" game appeal in that you want to play it again and again to improve yourself, but with the difference that its not relying on your maneuverability and dexterity, but rather your problem solving capabilities.

This game is not about atoms and molecules, its about logic. Everyone who likes to challenge his mind should buy and play this game. I agree that the introduction to this game is a bit strange but it clicks after the second or third level and it really deserves your time. I wouldnt be surprised to see this game on a few GOTY lists here on GAF. And it completely blows my mind that most people who play the demo to see what they might be getting themselves into are not even scratching the surface in terms of what they might be able to pull of, and that within the bloody first level.

As for the longevity of this game:

I am currently in World 3 of 9 (each consisting of 5-7 levels) and played for about 9 hours. The levels get progressively more intricate so that the last level I was able to finish took me just about 90 minutes.

Repeating myself: There is a loooong demo for this game. Give it 1 or 2 hours to explain you the basics.

For the people who do not know what its about, here is a simple level. Goal is to take the atoms on the left and transform them to what you need on the right by picking up, adding and turning the elements:

spacechem-review.jpg

Edit:
Almost forgot, the official thread is over this way.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Himajin said:
Spacechem sounds good, but it's not available in Japan. Odd to region lock an indie game...

I would gladly help you buying it. However I have no Paypal (Others do). If Steam games in japan are also available in english, I could buy it for you and you could just buy something for me in a similar price range. I wouldnt mind to get gifted something (now or on a sale at some point) I havent played yet and you want to convince me about ;)

If thats not an option for you, ask here or in the Steam Thread of equal global distribution for someone to gift it to you and paypal him the money.

Moobabe

StuBurns said:
I've never played Counter-Strike. Can I expect the CS:S/Garry's Mod bundle to go on sale at some point over the summer?

There's a bundle? You should just buy them anyway - Gmod is awesome but CSS is just the best shit ever. EVER.

StuBurns

Banned
Moobabe said:
There's a bundle? You should just buy them anyway - Gmod is awesome but CSS is just the best shit ever. EVER.
There is a bundle. I can't play it right now so I might as well wait for a sale, I just want to buy it before I replace my laptop sometime this year.

StuBurns

Banned
Discotheque said:
At this point wouldn't any newcomers just get decimated in Counter Strike?
Source is more welcoming than 1.6 I believe. No doubt it'll be a steep learning curve, but I'm open to an ass kicking if it's ultimately rewarding, and it must be to be that popular.

1-D_FTW

Psy-Phi said:
So...better than the console versions you say? :p

Exactly. And if you actually ran it at sub-hd resolution, with the sliders WAY down, and the settings at modest settings (all things the console versions are doing), framerate would be locked at butter. It's up to the end user to decide how much improvement they can make on the console versions before it tanks their PC's performance.

Is it worth getting Serious Sam 1 + 2 HD for $7.50?

Has it ever been cheaper?

I'm considering buying just for some cheap fun, but I'm probably not going to play them all that much more than 30 minutes here or there when I'm bored at some point (maybe tomorrow, maybe not).

Worth getting?

Someone said they were 4$ or something during the Xmas sale, but yes even for $7.50 they are well worth it if you've never played Serious Sam.

vocab

Discotheque said:
At this point wouldn't any newcomers just get decimated in Counter Strike?

As someone who used to play 1.6 competitively, and played 1.1 to 1.5 pub only. The answer would be no. Source would also be a hell no as well simply because that game is just easier. The recoil, and other intricacies are easier to deal with. The level of skill in public play for both games is just not that high.

I don't understand why people think games with 5+ year old communities are hard to get into.

vocab said:
I don't understand why people think games with 5+ year old communities are hard to get into.

I think it's something about talking vs just doing it, once you boot said game it's usually easy as hell considering most games don't take 5 years to master.

I'm looking at you, Eve.

epmode

ColonialRaptor said:
Is it worth getting Serious Sam 1 + 2 HD for $7.50?

Has it ever been cheaper?

I'm considering buying just for some cheap fun, but I'm probably not going to play them all that much more than 30 minutes here or there when I'm bored at some point (maybe tomorrow, maybe not).

Worth getting?
The Serious Sam games are among the best FPS ever. Bear in mind that there's no cover system (only ducking around corners, like a MAN), and the enemy AI is mostly concerned with sprinting right at the player. Course, when there are dozens of enemies onscreen at once, this becomes a lot more interesting.

The games will often spawn in enemies as fast as you can shoot so the strategy becomes finding the most efficient way to kill everything before they get close enough to murder you. It's kind of like Smash TV in first person and I love it.

vocab

scorpscarx said:
I think it's something about talking vs just doing it, once you boot said game it's usually easy as hell considering most games don't take 5 years to master.

I'm looking at you, Eve.

They made EVE easier since the day it came out. I remember people telling me if my ship blew up, I would be screwed, and I would have to start over. Guess what happened when my first ship blew up? Bought a new one. Eve is not a hard game, it just has billions of options that modern day mmo players are not used to.

epmode said:
The Serious Sam games are among the best FPS ever. Bear in mind that there's no cover system (only ducking around corners, like a MAN), and the enemy AI is mostly concerned with sprinting right at the player. Course, when there are dozens of enemies onscreen at once, this becomes a lot more interesting.

The games will often spawn in enemies as fast as you can shoot so the strategy becomes finding the most efficient way to kill everything before they get close enough to murder you. It's kind of like Smash TV in first person and I love it.

Thanks to you and this post, I just bought the games.

I hope you haven't led me astray :p

vocab said:
They made EVE easier since the day it came out. I remember people telling me if my ship blew up, I would be screwed, and I would have to start over. Guess what happened when my first ship blew up? Bought a new one. Eve is not a hard game, it just has billions of options that modern day mmo players are not used to.

Yeah just to clarify I didn't mean that in a bad way, I prefer games that take a long time to master :p

"I hope you haven't led me astray :p"

Just wait until you get the cannon gun, nuff' said.

StuBurns

Banned
vocab said:
Well I think it's to do with the onset of starters. When a new game comes out it's easy to get in and learn the maps and things without being outclassed. After seven years (and considering the original CS, it's more like eleven/twelve years), the vast majority of the current players are going to have an amazing handle on the game. Still I'm sure it won't be so intimidating I can't get into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom