• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
WanderingWind said:
I have to reformat. Is there a way to back up all my Steam everything?
Copy the Steamapps folder, and your Documents for 99% of saves.

Check User/Appdata/Roaming

I apparently can't play Darkstar One because of a stupid resolution glitch where it won't let you set the res to 1680x1050. :(

Oh well, maybe I'll get a better monitor someday and play it then.

IMACOMPUTA

gtaiv2010-04-1523-17-2zti1.png

Full Res click

Kevin

SalsaShark said:
Yeah, Kevin is doing something wrong or hasnt played it in a long while. There's no chance he'll get that kind of performance with a GTX 590 and a good CPU.

I didn't mess around with the game a whole lot. Basically I set every option to max graphics possible (from within the menu, no hacking) and loaded up FRAPS. I only did the introduction sequence but I can say that the intro cutscene hovered around 30 frames when the ship moved towards the shoreline. This is with the April 18th Nvidia drivers, Intel i7 980x processor, 6gb memory and Windows 7 64-Bit.

IMACOMPUTA

Kevin said:
I didn't mess around with the game a whole lot. Basically I set every option to max graphics possible (from within the menu, no hacking) and loaded up FRAPS. I only did the introduction sequence but I can say that the intro cutscene hovered around 30 frames when the ship moved towards the shoreline. This is with the April 18th Nvidia drivers, Intel i7 980x processor, 6gb memory and Windows 7 64-Bit.

Sounds like something was wrong..

I was looking at Half-Life 2 on the Steam store and on the PC System Requirements one of them is Internet Connection. Does this mean i can't play the game in offline mode or what?

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Syphon Filter said:
I was looking at Half-Life 2 on the Steam store and on the PC System Requirements one of them is Internet Connection. Does this mean i can't play the game in offline mode or what?
You can play it in offline mode just fine.

Echoplx

Syphon Filter said:

Why do you keep asking this same question about different games so fucking much?

RedSwirl

I just realized: we all at one point fear the event of our house burning down or getting robbed and all our games along with it. In that even though, we'd still have all of our Steam games (and other digitally bought games too).

One advantage of Digital Distribution to think about.

RedSwirl said:
I just realized: we all at one point fear the event of our house burning down or getting robbed and all our games along with it. In that even though, we'd still have all of our Steam games (and other digitally bought games too).

I had a team building day for work the other day which we had a discussion about "who we are" and a lot of people feel "who they are" is marked by their physical possessions.

We talked about what would have happened if the bush fires that affected a lot of Melbourne a few years back happened to us and you lose all your worldly possessions and I actually took comfort in knowing that I would still have my Steam collection. Hah.

This is a big factor for me now. I almost feel like even if a Steam game is more expensive that I need to buy the Steam version no matter what in the future to ensure that I keep my games collection saved on the 'cloud' just to protect it in the case of some unseen disaster or whatever.

Heh..

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
RedSwirl said:

But what if Steam's house burns down?!

Himajin

Toma said:
I would gladly help you buying it. However I have no Paypal (Others do). If Steam games in japan are also available in english, I could buy it for you and you could just buy something for me in a similar price range. I wouldnt mind to get gifted something (now or on a sale at some point) I havent played yet and you want to convince me about ;)

If thats not an option for you, ask here or in the Steam Thread of equal global distribution for someone to gift it to you and paypal him the money.

Thanks for the offer. I got a RL friend in the states to gift it to me. Still don't understand why the publisher would restrict it, though...

Disappointed that I missed Hot Pursuit on the Steam sale.

I was playing it at a friends house the other day on PS3 and I really want to own an original copy of the game. It's so worth $20 but I hate that I could have paid $10 less for it :/

graywolf323

ColonialRaptor said:
Disappointed that I missed Hot Pursuit on the Steam sale.

I was playing it at a friends house the other day on PS3 and I really want to own an original copy of the game. It's so worth $20 but I hate that I could have paid $10 less for it :/

pretty sure I paid $15 for it when it was on sale

but the PS3 version actually is supposed to be better in so much they haven't kept up with patching the PC version (so I had heard) and the PC version won't be getting DLC

Echoplx

graywolf323 said:

but the PS3 version actually is supposed to be better in so much they haven't kept up with patching the PC version (so I had heard) and the PC version won't be getting DLC

10$ in Australia.

graywolf323 said:

You got jipped bro! $10 here thanks to an Australian brother.

StuBurns

Banned

drizzle

Axel Hertz
The people connected on steam graphic seemed bigger than usual.

I clicked it and lo and behold:

Concurrent Steam Users:
current 3,192,165
peak 3,192,165

Congrats, gents.

Moobabe

scorpscarx said:
Anyone have Inside a Star-filled Sky? How do you like it?

Seems like fractals: the game, which sounds cool :)

So far so confusing - I couldn't say I 'liked' it yet. I played for 20 minutes last night and had no idea what was going on.

Anybody here picking up Il-Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover? I want to but according to the forums its still a broken POS and there isn't any communication from the devs =/

Blizzard

Banned
drizzle said:

Concurrent Steam Users:
current 3,192,165
peak 3,192,165

Congrats, gents.
Maybe it includes PSN Steam users?

IMACOMPUTA

ColonialRaptor said:
Is that a ferrari in GTA?

Gosh I wish I had have taken advantage of the GTA sale on Steam :(

Edit - has anyone played that 'TOP GUN' game on Steam?

Yes, I downloaded a crap load of car mods. Some of them are absolutely incredible.
I have a Lambo that looks amazing. I'll post it later :)
Also got a mod that increases the car damage to a realistic level.. (crash going 60 = totaled)

Yeah, wasn't GTAIV @ $5.00 during a sale?

Exuro

graywolf323 said:
too bad that The Witcher 2 pre-load has never surfaced *sighs*
I'm still confused why that dev said there would be. I hate when things like preloading become features. I would rather GoG get some exclusive armor then exclusive preload. It's going to suck downloading at launch.

drizzle said:

Concurrent Steam Users:
current 3,192,165
peak 3,192,165

Congrats, gents.

It's been peaking at 3- 3.5 million for a while now. Fantastic growth rate.

Cipherr

Blizzard said:
Maybe it includes PSN Steam users?

I think it might, I got popups for (I think it was) "Yeef is now playing Portal 2 on Playstation 3" last night. I think it was Yeef anyways, it was some Gaffer I know that. I was like, oh look, PSN is back up. Then I was distracted and hit the wall during my free wheeling section of the track I was on in Trackmania and lost the momentum needed to make it to the next checkpoint.

Ragequit.

kswiston

LovingSteam said:
OT but this time last year, the Steam thread was at 8500 posts compared to this year which is 12250+

I would be interested to see if the number of people posting has also increased 50%. Seems like steam has really grown in the last 18-24 months.

kswiston said:
I would be interested to see if the number of people posting has also increased 50%. Seems like steam has really grown in the last 18-24 months.

I'm quite confident that there are many more people posting here than last year.

ArjanN

RedSwirl said:

Even without a fire or being robbed Steam will most likely outlast the physical copies of your games given that CDs/DVDs degrade over time.

fallout

kswiston said:
It's possible to check unique posters by using this link:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/misc.php?do=whoposted&t=417372

Just copy and paste the whole thing into a text editor that counts lines. So far, this thread is at 1133. Of course, it's much more difficult to compare that against non-equal time frames.

Moobabe

zombieshavebrains said:
I disagree. I didn't like that they took away some of the weapons (MG34, FG42, etc.), made everyone on the teams look the same, and nerfed the Kar 98 to name a few. DoD had its flaws for sure but the flaws were acceptable. It seems like they just streamlined DoD:S and it lost its special touch.

I'm glad they nerfed the K98 - it's so OP in 1.6 it's ridiculous. It's still the best gun in source but not quite by the same distance.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Heh, for the Sega Genesis Classic Collection that was sold a while back, Sega accidentally patched in all the Sonic Games, which weren't originally included.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom