• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

epmode

ColonialRaptor said:
Thanks to you and this post, I just bought the games.

I hope you haven't led me astray :p
I hope you like em. It's my favorite pure action FPS besides Doom.

Lots of people say the co-op mode is the way to go but I never bother.

BTW, if you bought both HD games, just install the second. Steam will detect that you have both and will automatically add the first game's content right into The Second Encounter. To play the first game, choose Egypt from the single player menu.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
epmode said:
I hope you like em. It's my favorite pure action FPS besides Doom.

Lots of people say the co-op mode is the way to go but I never bother.

BTW, if you bought both HD games, just install the second. Steam will detect that you have both and will automatically add the first game's content right into The Second Encounter. To play the first game, choose Egypt from the single player menu.
Co-op would make 2 slightly more tolerable. Playing alone is some seriously tedious shit. SS! was generally much better about easing up on the enemies before fatigue set in (barring the last 1/4 of the game).

Toma said:
For the people who do not know what its about, here is a simple level. Goal is to take the atoms on the left and transform them to what you need on the right by picking up, adding and turning the elements:

spacechem-review.jpg

Edit:
Almost forgot, the official thread is over this way.

I think you've got a bug. Blue Waldo won't be able to grab the O until after the second Bond -, because the CO is double bonded... Or can both waldos grab a molecule together?

*loads up SpaceChem*

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
platypotamus said:
I think you've got a bug. Blue Waldo won't be able to grab the O until after the second Bond -, because the CO is double bonded... Or can both waldos grab a molecule together?

*loads up SpaceChem*

Both can grab a molecule if they are not pulling in different directions.
And in that picture he hasnt grabbed it yet. Thats why its not a complete blue circle, isnt it?

Nabs said:
I think you're right. *buys SpaceChem*

Thank you very much. At least one person I convinced, which finally justified that big post above :p

Zzoram

jaundicejuice said:
Witcher 2 items are in TF2 already. The sword is just a reskinning of the Boston Basher, aka The Scout's most useless melee weapon.

Steam isn't advertising any Witcher 2 TF2 items. How do you get them? Pre-order? What are they?

Toma said:
And in that picture he hasnt grabbed it yet. Thats why its not a complete blue circle, isnt it?

Didn't know both could be grabbed, and no, but blue will be grabbing in a second, I thought one grid space too early.

Toma said:

Thank you very much. At least one person I convinced, which finally justified that big post above :p

I played the demo earlier and this game is really great. When does the sale end?

nyong

Banned
Toma said:
You sold me on it too. I just wrapped up my first 45 minutes with the game and left very impressed. Well worth the $15 asking price, and practically a steal at $7.50. I'll be playing this one for months.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Zzoram said:
Steam isn't advertising any Witcher 2 TF2 items. How do you get them? Pre-order? What are they?

It's a white hair wig (like The Witcher's hair) and a wolf Witcher logo necklace for the scout as well as a Boston Basher model replacement of a sword. You get them by preordering the game.

Edit:

Hat: http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Hero's_Tail
Sword: http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Three-Rune_Blade
Necklace: http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Sign_of_the_Wolf's_School

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Clever Pun said:
I played the demo earlier and this game is really great. When does the sale end?

May 16th, 10 AM pacific time.

nyong said:
You sold me on it too. I just wrapped up my first 45 minutes with the game and left very impressed. Well worth the $15 asking price, and practically a steal at $7.50. I'll be playing this one for months.

Not to mention the level editor, and regular level updates the dev is providing. There sure isnt a lack of content here.

Edit: Its kind of... sad that games like this tend to be overlooked because of the mass of games out there. This one truly deserves more attention. I wouldnt have thought that I'd say this before I got into it. The game is definitely more than it looks, and for all those people only playing the demo: It will get even better.

nyong

Banned
Toma said:
Not to mention the level editor, and regular level updates the dev is providing. There sure isnt a lack of content here.
Yep, the production values are really the only thing lacking. It's obvious that everything else is a labor of love, though. It's rare that I find a puzzle game with this level of complexity that just works. Granted, I've barely scratched the surface here.

BigAT

I was thinking of getting The Witcher from the GOG sale, but before I do I want to make sure that if I get Witcher 2 on Steam, there won't be a problem importing my save from the original since W2 will be on Steam while the original will not be.

There shouldn't be a problem with that, right?

Zzoram said:

If you pre-order Assassin of Kings you 10% off, which has been advertised since January, back when I pre-ordered the game and just recently they added three items for the Scout on top of the discount. You get Geralt's hair (hat), the witcher wolf head pendant (misc) and a rune sword (melee). The sword is just a re-skinning of the Boston Basher so it's not incredibly useful.

BigAT said:
I was thinking of getting The Witcher from the GOG sale, but before I do I want to make sure that if I get Witcher 2 on Steam, there won't be a problem importing my save from the original since W2 will be on Steam while the original will not be.

There shouldn't be a problem with that, right?

I had no problem pointing my retail purchased copy of Mass Effect 2 to my save files from my Steam purchased copy of Mass Effect. You're just pointing the game to a directory where the save file is located. It shouldn't pose any problem.

gdt

Trying to buy some PC games in anticipation of my new laptop being delivered soon (Monday or Tuesday). Already bought The Witcher on GOG, and I'm looking at Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Really wanna play the game, but it's not on sale dammit. Don't wanna have it drop on me a day or two after I buy it.

StuBurns

Banned
gdt5016 said:
Trying to buy some PC games in anticipation of my new laptop being delivered soon (Monday or Tuesday). Already bought The Witcher on GOG, and I'm looking at Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Really wanna play the game, but it's not on sale dammit. Don't wanna have it drop on me a day or two after I buy it.
It was just in the potato sack, could be a while before it's on sale again.

TheExodu5 said:
I would buy Red Dead so fast on PC. It's a very pretty game, and needs a PC to do it justice.

Would easily be one of the best looking console ports ever. Such an incredible looking game on consoles...

Also, just bought the Serious Sam HD double pack on Steam for $7.50. I'm an SS fan and I couldn't resist the HD remakes for that price!

StuBurns

Banned
I asked this in the small questions thread but haven't got a reply, I was hoping one of you guys could possibly answer:

StuBurns said:
I know the general wisdom is that the original Counter Strike and DoD are better than their Source counterparts, but which version of Half-Life is typically favored?

StuBurns said:
I asked this in the small questions thread but haven't got a reply, I was hoping one of you guys could possibly answer:
HL:S looks a little better, and ran smoother for me. Its the exact same game though.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
StuBurns said:
What were you thinking? HL DM? I'd be interest in hearing which is preferred of those too actually.
I was thinking HL1 and HL2. I thought HL1 was a better shooter than HL2 vanilla but the latter game had better atmosphere.

If they changed the AI scripting in HL1:S to make it like HL2 then I would say go with the original for sure. I've never played the Source version though so I don't know if that's the case.

StuBurns

Banned
I've played HL1 and 2, I'm just wondering if HL1 or HL1 Source is better, because I know a lot of people prefer Counter-Strike 1.6 to CS Source, and the same with Day of Defeat. Just never heard either way with HL1 or HL Deathmatch.

vocab

StuBurns said:
What were you thinking? HL DM? I'd be interest in hearing which is preferred of those too actually.

OG HL DM is leaps and bounds better. HL:Source DM is just ass. As for HL or HL:Source. Half Life all the way. HL:Source still has the original Half Life textures. The weapon models are new, and there's new water. Big deal. I'm pretty sure some of my fellow HL fanatics will agree that HL:source is a just a lazy attempt to update a classic. There's a reason people want Black Mesa Mod.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
StuBurns said:
I've played HL1 and 2, I'm just wondering if HL1 or HL1 Source is better, because I know a lot of people prefer Counter-Strike 1.6 to CS Source, and the same with Day of Defeat. Just never heard either way with HL1 or HL Deathmatch.
Well with Source you get the conveniences of Source UI menus(stuff like better graphics options and being able to select chapters). In Source there's the obvious graphics stuff like ragdolls and nicer water, while in normal HL1 the death animations are more "handcrafted" instead of just physics-based.

Pimpbaa

Kevin said:
That's because nearly nobody could run it. Game runs like crap. On max settings it brings by $730 Geforce GTX 590 to it's knees reaching 30 frames and sometimes below.

Lots of people could run it, as long as they kept the view and detail distance down. You are not supposed to max those.

StuBurns

Banned
So across the board, none of the source iterations are considered clear improvements? Lets say outside of CS to avoid the debate.

Sorry for the brief aside by the way, I'll leave it here, and thanks for the replies, and any that may come from this question.

vocab

StuBurns said:
So across the board, none of the source iterations are considered clear improvements? Lets say outside of CS to avoid the debate.

Sorry for the brief aside by the way, I'll leave it here, and thanks for the replies, and any that may come from this question.

I can't think of one game, mod, or game type that even benefits from the source engine. Even my favorite game on the source engine (Dystopia) is held back by the Source engine. TF2 is interesting game, but It is not my cup of tea. I used to enjoy playing TF2 when it first came out, now it turned into a game that I never want to play again.

Twig

Banned
StuBurns said:

Aside from networking issues, DOD:S is better. All versions of CS suck, so that's irrelevant. U:

1-D_FTW

For all of you who've purchased Dead Space and never got around to playing it, do it. Finally finished. Such a great game. It's like the anti-Bioshock for me. And here I thought Dead Space was some soulless, generic shooter. Misinformed was me.

apana

1-D_FTW said:
For all of you who've purchased Dead Space and never got around to playing it, do it. Finally finished. Such a great game. It's like the anti-Bioshock for me. And here I thought Dead Space was some soulless, generic shooter. Misinformed was me.

Explain yourself immediately.

1-D_FTW

apana said:
Explain yourself immediately.

I was one of those who thought Bioshock was overrated and came away disappointed. It was decent enough that I finished the game (which says a lot for me), but I was disappointed.

Dead Space on the other hand was a game that I had zero hype for and it just blew my socks off. They're similar enough and both have System Shock inspiration that I felt it was appropriate to compare them.

~Kinggi~ said:
He is mentally handicapped?

Unfortunately, I'm not. Which is why I thought it was so overrated.

apana

I'm a System Shock fan as well. Bioshock was the first game I bought off steam. I thought it was an awesome game but not quite the masterpiece people made it out to be. I bought Dead Space recently and I'm looking forward to playing it as soon as I get a 360 wired controller, mouse+keyboard controls are horrible even after adjusting the v-sync settings.

apana said:
I'm a System Shock fan as well. Bioshock was the first game I bought off steam. I thought it was an awesome game but not quite the masterpiece people made it out to be. I bought Dead Space recently and I'm looking forward to playing it as soon as I get a 360 wired controller, mouse+keyboard controls are horrible even after adjusting the v-sync settings.

I play everything with V-sync off, and DS1 mouse controls were awesome for me, extremely fast and fluid. Only thing hard was that it was too sensitive for the menu screen, in-game felt like a dream, maybe I got lucky.

Salsa

I actually play Dead Space with triple buffering and v-sync and just deal with the mouse lag. Its not that bad and the game doesnt require super fast aiming or anything. The tearing is much more unbearable.

1-D_FTW

SalsaShark said:
I actually play Dead Space with triple buffering and v-sync and just deal with the mouse lag. Its not that bad and the game doesnt require super fast aiming or anything. The tearing is much more unbearable.

Yeah. Same here. Turned off in game v-sync and used D3D to get the triple buffering. The lag was really bad in the menus, but seemed to be MUCH better in-game. After an hour or so, I was able to aim exactly where I wanted (though it seems pretty obvious there's some auto-aim going on to compensate for things).

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Twig said:
Aside from networking issues, DOD:S is better. All versions of CS suck, so that's irrelevant. U:

I disagree. I didn't like that they took away some of the weapons (MG34, FG42, etc.), made everyone on the teams look the same, and nerfed the Kar 98 to name a few. DoD had its flaws for sure but the flaws were acceptable. It seems like they just streamlined DoD:S and it lost its special touch.

Twig

Banned
zombieshavebrains said:
I disagree. I didn't like that they took away some of the weapons (MG34, FG42, etc.), made everyone on the teams look the same, and nerfed the Kar 98 to name a few. DoD had its flaws for sure but the flaws were acceptable. It seems like they just streamlined DoD:S and it lost its special touch.
I disagree with your disagreement, but I don't really think it's worth arguing, since both games are a billion years old and I play neither anymore. :3

I would like DOD2, though. ):

IMACOMPUTA

Kevin said:
That's because nearly nobody could run it. Game runs like crap. On max settings it brings by $730 Geforce GTX 590 to it's knees reaching 30 frames and sometimes below.

Me running it at near max settings (aside from shadows) with 3x Supersampled AA and getting average 40fps with my 5850 and i5 750 says hello.

It's a VERY enjoyable experience on the PC. I can't play it on consoles anymore.

Salsa

Yeah, Kevin is doing something wrong or hasnt played it in a long while. There's no chance he'll get that kind of performance with a GTX 590 and a good CPU.

apana

I adjusted some things on Dead Space and now the PC controls are working better for me. The camera is still a bitch to work with though. It seems to have a mind of its own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom