• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

graywolf323

Drkirby said:
Heh, for the Sega Genesis Classic Collection that was sold a while back, Sega accidentally patched in all the Sonic Games, which weren't originally included.

noticed that a while ago, hope they don't fix it :p

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Only minor thing I don't like is that I can't pick just Sonic 3 or Sonic and Knuckles, it is just Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

Shaneus

Drkirby said:
Heh, for the Sega Genesis Classic Collection that was sold a while back, Sega accidentally patched in all the Sonic Games, which weren't originally included.
Wait, so if I go into my Megadrive collection now, they'll be there?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Shaneus said:
Wait, so if I go into my Megadrive collection now, they'll be there?
Yeah, if you bought the complete pack. Heck, they may be in there for people who bought just 1 or 2 games for all I know.

Twig said:
Aside from networking issues, DOD:S is better. All versions of CS suck, so that's irrelevant. U:

No way, the final iteration of the original DoD is way better than Day of Defeat Source. They excised a lot of guns from both the Allied and Axis sides in some dumb attempt to create basic classes and apply parity to those classes. Instead all they did was cut down on the variety of weapons you could use in Source. They made a lot of weird and arbitrary design choices with those classes. Rifles lost their melee attacks (which removed one of the most satisfying aspects of the M1 Garand. I wasn't as fond of the bayonette on the K98, but it was at least useful in a pinch) and gained an entirely useless and slow iron sights zoom. And only rifles could iron sight even though every gun has iron sights. Some classes could carry pistols while others couldn't, which was just asinine. The Mp44/Thompson class could melee attack (why?) while wielding a virtually recoiless spam cannon, had pistols, grenades, smoke bombs and knives. They have the rocket class for completing objectives but as of my last playing (which, admittedly, was years ago), they hadn't added the maps that actually required the bazooka class. You lost the carbine as a weapon class because that was collapsed into the bazooka class. They hadn't re-added the British or Axis paratrooper weapon classes as of the last time I'd played DoDS.

Day of Defeat was a content rich, niche multiplayer game. Day of Defeat Source was just niche. DoDS never as important as Counter-Strike Source, never received much attention or support from Valve in terms of content and the community didn't exactly carry over. Maybe some or all of this has changed over the years, but as of my last playing, DoD was the much better game. All Source has is it's prettier and the rifle mounted grenades are kind of neat.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
It'd be cool if Valve made an iOS Steam app where you could browse the store, purchase a game and have it automatically start downloading on your computer.

Drkirby said:

Nice. Gonna disable automatic updates for Genesis Classics. They're mine forever!

sykoex said:
It'd be cool if Valve made an iOS Steam app where you could browse the store, purchase a game and have it automatically start downloading on your computer.
I was just thinking about that too...please make it happen Valve.

StuBurns

Banned
On the Steamcast a couple of months back I believe Gabe was asked about a Steam app and he seemed keen, and talked as if it were a matter of time more than anything.

fallout said:
It's possible to check unique posters by using this link:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/misc.php?do=whoposted&t=417372

Just copy and paste the whole thing into a text editor that counts lines. So far, this thread is at 1133. Of course, it's much more difficult to compare that against non-equal time frames.

Hey, I'm on the first page. (on my incredibly high-res monitor :()

markot said:
Guessing apple would try and take a 30% cut of each sale >.<

Your joke actually brings up a good point towards my speculation based on the rumours that VALVe is planning on expanding the steamworks API to mobile devices. Apple's new policies would rule out any sort of steam-play functionality. :(

Ah well, there's always Android.

vocab

scorpscarx said:
I for one played DoD even more than CS, which is saying a lot. Absolutely loved that game and still boot it up.

High level DoD is fucking insane. It made COD1 look like a kiddy game.

ZZMitch

Starting a few days ago, whenever I open up steam I get a thing that says Validating Steam files for specifically Team Fortress 2. I haven't even played that game in months, what is up with that?

gdt

Quick question before I buy it.

Amnesia min reqs:

Processor: 1.5Ghz - Low budget CPUs such as Celeron or Duron needs to be at about twice the CPU speed
Memory: 1 GB
Hard Drive: TBD
Graphics: Radeon 9600/GeForceFX - Integrated graphics and very low budget cards might not work.

Will my HP DV6 quad core run this?

• 2nd generation Intel(R) Quad Core(TM) i7-2630QM (2.0 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) w/Turbo Boost up to 2.9 GHz
• 1GB GDDR5 Radeon(TM) HD 6770M Graphics [HDMI, VGA]
• FREE Upgrade to 6GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)

gdt5016 said:

Amnesia min reqs:

• 2nd generation Intel(R) Quad Core(TM) i7-2630QM (2.0 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) w/Turbo Boost up to 2.9 GHz

W T H joke? Of course it will.

graywolf323

sykoex said:

probably see Android before we see iOS

Cipherr

3chopl0x said:
No he really doesn't, it seems you don't know shit either.

And how irrelevant is that really? Considering even though its the laptop versions it will still run the game handily.

Lets not be asses for no reason. The answer is yes, he will run Amnesia fine.

gdt5016 said:

Amnesia min reqs:

You'll be fine, but for more taxing stuff I'd recommend a cooling pad.

gdt

The Big Rig said:
You'll be fine, but for more taxing stuff I'd recommend a cooling pad.

Yeah, looking into that. Apparently my vents will be on the side though, so I don't know which pad/s will work the best.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
animlboogy said:
So what would be the best way to get the original Serious Sam games working with a 360 controller?
This post makes me sad.

I dunno, xpadder or something :(

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
no seriously i think xpadder is what most people use. assign the keys to buttons on the controller.

Does PhysX really effect the GPU that much in Mirror's Edge? I had everything on High with 4x AA and PhysX on, and it was kinda slow. Upped AA to 8xQ and turned off PhysX, and it runs good.

The Broken Ska Record said:
Does PhysX really effect the GPU that much in Mirror's Edge? I had everything on High with 4x AA and PhysX on, and it was kinda slow. Upped AA to 8xQ and turned off PhysX, and it runs good.
PhysX on: 1-2 fps whenever glass broke
PhysX off: no problems. It isn't worth it imo

Echoplx

PhysX is a joke, don't even bother with it.

Aselith

Well, there's your answer.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm finally giving Hitman Blood Money a try, does it have native gamepad support? Google gave me mixed results and I just thought I'd check since I'm using the 360 pad emulator which might confuse things.

Shafto

3chopl0x said:
This should make the whole process easier for you

http://gsm.duncsweb.com/

RaptorJesus.gif

Holy sweet fucking jesus. That's awesome and I had no idea it existed. Eternal gratitude extended!

kodt

Banned
InertiaXr said:
Both the processor and video card are mobile versions bro, a laptop i7 is nothing like an actual desktop i7.

A new sandy bridge based mobile i7 is better than than the original i7 920

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom