• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamspy

SalsaShark said:
aD6jd.png

Y U RUIN MY LIBRARYY

What kind of foul bastard icon size is that?!?!!

markot

Banned
Most games dont have correct icons for the steam library when they just come out.

Brink couldnt even crack the top 10 >_>? Should have waited a week/month to release it......

Echoplx

I guess i won't ever be buying non-sale games again, now that it's pretty much guaranteed for a game to be on sale at some point.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
3chopl0x said:
I guess i won't ever be buying non-sale games again, now that it's pretty much guaranteed for a game to be on sale at some point.

I would imagine for many of us, it is already like that. Unless it is a game that I am going to buy day 1 (such as Witcher 2), I am probably going to wait for a weekend sale or the holiday/summer sale. In the grand scheme of things this really changes nothing for me.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
TouchMyBox said:
Well, nobody has yet to come out with a better "realistic" shooter.
CS isn't realistic. There are better shooters, in many ways, graphically, mechanically and so on.

A lot of people are attached to CS, that's the basic reason for the high numbers.

And I can understand it very well; I myself would rather play the familiar CS online than some other progression-based shooter I haven't felt out as much.

Quotation marks, people. Quotation marks.

There is no such thing as a realistic videogame, just videogames which try to be grounded in reality. Counter-Strike is such a game.

And while yes, a better shooter has come out since the release of Counter-Strike by the name of Team Fortress 2, the two games draw different crowds because one has M4A1s and the other has sandviches.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
TouchMyBox said:
Quotation marks, people. Quotation marks.

There is no such thing as a realistic videogame, just videogames which try to be grounded in reality. Counter-Strike is such a game.
I think I see what happened here. It's pretty easy to confuse Counter Strike with Armed Assault.

SapientWolf said:
I think I see what happened here. I get Counter Strike confused with Armed Assault all the time too.

As much as I love Arma I still wouldn't call it realistic, but it definitely is the closest thing we have.

You guys are getting frazzled over the term realistic though which isn't important to the point. I was going to refer CS as a "military shooter" until I realized that there is an absolute lack of military in CS.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
firehawk12 said:
I'm surprised they haven't done the Impulse thing of popping up a big window every day to announce a new deal.
You don't notice in the steam client thing the update window that opens each time steam is started?

wolfmat said:
CS isn't realistic. There are better shooters, in many ways, graphically, mechanically and so on.

A lot of people are attached to CS, that's the basic reason for the high numbers.

And I can understand it very well; I myself would rather play the familiar CS online than some other progression-based shooter I haven't felt out as much.

Not of it's type.

AA was the closest thing a few years ago but the game is no good anymore since 2.0

CS has the perfect mix of arcade and 'hardcore'.
Do you really think that people aren't attached to other games? Where are those on the steam charts? oh right nowhere.

If there was an alternative we'd all be playing it.
If people were so attached to cs they wouldn't have dumped it en masse when 1.6 was released , and after that when CSS was released.
90 percent of people whom I used to play with up until 1.5 quit when CSS was released, a large part could never really get into 1.6 either because of the (not compared to css) drastic change in mechanics.
The only reason we quit was because valve took away 1.5. (which thankfully is back under WON2)

CSS and the 1.5 one before it are two entirely different communities with entirely different kind of people.
People keep returning to cs (even if it's 1.6) just because there isn't anything else, that is all.

You can't even begin to compare any of the progression based shooters with cs, if you want to compare those with something compare them to SOF2.

Until there is another shooter where the guns are even half as satisfying to use cs will remain king.
All these point and click hold down the button for 5seconds progression shooters have about as much to do with cs as crash team racing has to do with F zero or tekken with streetfighter.

Spellt out : not every tekken player is interested in streetfighter , most F zero players won't necessarily care for mario kart of crash team racing.
If people stop making games like street fighter they will keep playing their favorite street fighter game.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
SneakyStephan said:
All these point and click hold down the button for 5seconds progression shooters have about as much to do with cs as crash team racing has to do with F zero or tekken with streetfighter.
Maybe to you; to me, it's all shooters. Sure, there's some distinctive feel or some specific mechanics or whatever to some games, and you could group some in a particular fashion so that they form a subgroup. At the end of the day, I'm playing a shooter though.

So for example, to me, the difference between Crysis and CSS is negligible as soon as it comes to multiplayer.

The biggest differentiator to me really is that servers tend to be filled on CSS, so that's where I can play a good game with lots of dudes to shoot.

I'm not particularly good at shooters, maybe that's a factor. For instance, I suck at Quake because I play it pretty much like I play CSS (focus on killing the other guys instead of jogging along the item path, like you're supposed to). So they kind of blend together to me and I'm better at one than I am at the other. I can't bring myself to do much more than kill dudes in those games anyway, and that's hard enough as it is.

Jomjom

Banned
Asked this in the other Steam thread, but I think my Steam account may have been hacked or something. None of the passwords I ever use worked and the secret answer doesn't work. I've sent in a support request with all of the information they request to confirm your identification. How long does it usually take for them to respond?

Echoplx

From the Steam forums
Hello All,

I just wanted to pop in and give you a head's up on the Witcher 2 Release happening in a little bit.

We got the build of the game quite late--only a few hours ago, in fact. Currently, I'm pushing it out to over half of our content servers around the world, but the game is pretty big (around 17GB) so getting it to the servers is taking quite a while. The practical upshot of this is that downloads are going to start out really slowly, but over the next several hours it will improve greatly.

Our apologies for this. I'm afraid it can't be helped. I might delay setting it live slightly so that I can get it to more servers before flipping the switch, but I'm hoping I wont need to do that.

Best,
Chris
Also, No Securom on Steam version of TW2
It will release at the same time, worldwide (on Steam).

Also, I just got a heads up from CDProjekt that the game doesn't have SecuROM, they just didn't bother to pull out the dummy files...so that's good.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Oh good there is a fix. I knew getting that with "Ultra High" textures couldn't have been right.

Binabik15

Dice said:
Oh good there is a fix. I knew getting that with "Ultra High" textures couldn't have been right.

"It is not normal to have low-res textures on high settings, but in Mass Effect 2 it is"

Yes, you´re playing ME1, just let me take another shot at ME2´s textures, hmkay?

I found this kind of interesting while I wait for TW2 to download... from the manual (pdf)

"You can use the Insert key to switch controls to an Xbox 360."

Funny they left out 'controller,' but anyway I guess it has native pad support.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I feel somewhat vindicated looking at the timer on the Steam sale. I've been wondering why the sales have been going up at 12:10 and not 12:00 the past several weeks. Apparently that's just the new time!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
wienke said:
I feel somewhat vindicated looking at the timer on the Steam sale. I've been wondering why the sales have been going up at 12:10 and not 12:00 the past several weeks. Apparently that's just the new time!
Makes a little more sense if you think of it as 10:10 Pacific. Seems less arbitrary.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
I'm setting myself up for disappointment now, yay.

What's I'm hoping for from, NAY, EXPECTING of today's sale, one of the following:

Aquaria
Borderlands: GOTY
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3
King's Bounty: Armored Princess/Crossworlds Pack
The Last Remnant
Left 4 Dead Double Pack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom