• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdt

Hmm, the wireless mouse I picked up for comfy couch'ing is A) A notebook-ish size mouse (which doesn't really bother me actually) and B) 1000 DPI. It kinda locks up a bit with fast movements. Is that the DPI? What's an acceptable level for FPSs?

gdt5016 said:
Hmm, the wireless mouse I picked up for comfy couch'ing is A) A notebook-ish size mouse (which doesn't really bother me actually) and B) 1000 DPI. It kinda locks up a bit with fast movements. Is that the DPI? What's an acceptable level for FPSs?
What surface do you have the mouse on? reflective + mouse movement speed = not good.

Volcynika

Now I feel like everyday there will be just a set of "OMG WTF I WANTED ___ TO GO ON SALE" with a few people suggesting the current sale.

nyong

Banned
Volcynika said:
Now I feel like everyday there will be just a set of "OMG WTF I WANTED ___ TO GO ON SALE" with a few people suggesting the current sale.
That could get annoying rather quickly considering the possibilities each day are literally the entire Steam catalog.

Volcynika

nyong said:
That could get annoying rather quickly considering the possibilities each day are literally the entire Steam catalog.

Yeah I'm all for discussion about people inquiring about the current sale and if they might like it or whatever, but I fear that each day will bring a new "That's not what I wanted" in some shape or form.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Volcynika said:
It'll die down after a few days, we just have to get used to the excitement of a new Steam sale every twenty-four hours still.

1-D_FTW

gdt5016 said:

It could just be a bad mouse. I remember in the early days of optic mice, fast movement would cause horrible performance. Stayed with balls for longer than I should because I mistakenly thought they all sucked for games.

MRORANGE

Volcynika said:

true, I kinda wish news was posted in bold, to help differentiate between general conversation and steam news.

Since when did Sega Genesis collection include Sonic games?

I went to play it today and it downloaded a bunch of new games I don't remember being in the list of games I bought.

I bought the 10$ pack a few months ago.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
balladofwindfishes said:

I went to play it today and it downloaded a bunch of new games I don't remember being in the list of games I bought.

Those are all listed under one "game" in your Steam list, right? Could you post a screenshot of a game with all filters off? I'm curious as to how the emulation quality is (ie: not Backbone) because I might want to store a few Genesis games on my PC.. especially when the Monster World collection hits Wii/PSN (as I think it'll hit all places eventually).

Lemming

Anyone would love Steam to send the daily deals/midweek sales/weekends directly on email?
That + one click purchase would be the ultimate wallet killer imo.
I could get pumped directly from work :)

Princess Skittles said:
Those are all listed under one "game" in your Steam list, right? Could you post a screenshot of a game with all filters off? I'm curious as to how the emulation quality is (ie: not Backbone) because I might want to store a few Genesis games on my PC.. especially when the Monster World collection hits Wii/PSN (as I think it'll hit all places eventually).
Yes, they're listed under one item.

I can't take a screen shot. When I did, it just took a picture of my desktop.

The quality isn't bad, and it's pretty customizable. You can run it in a window if you don't want the pixels stretched, and it even has a mode that simulates a CRT TV.

Volcynika

balladofwindfishes said:

They added them to the collection for people that owned the collection or something. Someone posted a Valve employee's comment in this thread, maybe a page or two ago.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
For there to be daily sales, there needs to be sales on stuff that's already been on sale before. I would expect that the vast majority, 80+% of the stuff that goes on daily sale, will be something you could have bought if you've been an avid Steamer for two years.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
balladofwindfishes said:
The quality isn't bad, and it's pretty customizable. You can run it in a window if you don't want the pixels stretched, and it even has a mode that simulates a CRT TV.
Thanks. Is there a full screen/no filter option? Such that it maintains the crisp, clean look of the pixel graphics? What about scanline options?

That's all my questions for now, I'll just have to take a bite if I need to get any more in depth, LOL.

Princess Skittles said:
Thanks. Is there a full screen/no filter option? Such that it maintains the crisp, clean look of the pixel graphics? What about scanline options?

That's all my questions for now, I'll just have to take a bite if I need to get any more in depth, LOL.
Yes, there is.

Tanolen

Princess Skittles said:

Was playing the sonic games, my only complaint was that the FPS would drop down into the single digits when jumping while under water.

StuBurns

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
For there to be daily sales, there needs to be sales on stuff that's already been on sale before. I would expect that the vast majority, 80+% of the stuff that goes on daily sale, will be something you could have bought if you've been an avid Steamer for two years.
Would you happen to know if CS:S has been on a decent sale in the past?

apana

Volcynika said:

I was kind of responding to what Stumpakow said about future sales to be stuff that's already been on sale before. A lot of people new to Steam would like these games for cheaper prices and I'm sure there have been very big sales for these games in the past.

StuBurns

Banned
apana said:
I was kind of responding to what Stumpakow said about future sales to be stuff that's already been on sale before. A lot of people new to Steam would like these games for cheaper prices and I'm sure there have been very big sales for these games in the past.
Both of those games have been on sale.

Twig

Banned
Volcynika said:
Yeah I'm all for discussion about people inquiring about the current sale and if they might like it or whatever, but I fear that each day will bring a new "That's not what I wanted" in some shape or form.
It most likely will, because people are selfish assholes.

Volcynika said:
Midweek Madness is Worms Reloaded 50% off

Now with Mac OSX support. (SteamPlay)
Oh what the fuck, they're doing Midweek Madness and Weekend sales, too? Yeesh.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
apana said:
There is no reason not to make something like Portal or Half Life $2 at least for a day.

That'd be almost kind of weird since usually Valve puts a lot of the Half-Life games up for sale at the same time.

I imagine we're going to get a lot of indie and obscure titles as part of the daily deal from here on out. I'd imagine the midweek and weekend sales are still where the big publishers are going to put stuff out for.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Lemming said:
Blocked from work :(
Will check when i get home!
I'm sure there are RSS readers that will eMail feeds to you, i don't RSS so I can't say which one for sure.

Mobile Twitter and most Twitter apps have text or push options you can specify for a certain username as well, there are plenty of options (outside this thread, of course).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
StuBurns said:
Would you happen to know if CS:S has been on a decent sale in the past?

In the last 12 months, it's been on sale 3 times: $6.80 last summer, $5 last Christmastime, $10 in January.

Edit: Valve Complete Pack includes it as well, and that was $69 last summer and $49 last Christmas. Depending on if you own/want L4D/2/HL2/Portal/etc you might be better off going that way.

apana

wienke said:
That'd be almost kind of weird since usually Valve puts a lot of the Half-Life games up for sale at the same time.

I imagine we're going to get a lot of indie and obscure titles as part of the daily deal from here on out. I'd imagine the midweek and weekend sales are still where the big publishers are going to put stuff out for.

I imagine that bigger publishers would probably prefer the kind of sale that EA just had. Meaning a sale for a whole week where they get a lot of publicity from it.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
apana said:
I imagine that bigger publishers would probably prefer the kind of sale that EA just had. Meaning a sale for a whole week where they get a lot of publicity from it.
I think the daily sales could easily be themed for a week for just that sort of thing.

In fact, after the EA Week, I'm almost certain that is what will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom