• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aselith

opticalmace said:
Is anyone's Steam being hokey?

Some of the images aren't loading and pages are loading slowly...

Mine is. If I try to do a purchase or go to My Account, all I get is a white screen. Store page is fine and the page where it asks if you want to do a self or gift purchase is fine but after that it fucks up. I also had another issue where prior to this it would always send me to the community tab if I tried to do that. I don't know what is going on. :( I just did it through the web browser version and it works fine but it's fucking annoying.

LocoMrPollock said:
It was fine for me, and several others in this thread. You sure it's not a problem with your settings?
No, it has a very narrow FOV - feels like 55 or something (I played Q3 with 105). If you are fine with these things then it will not bother you (most console games have a very narrow FOV). For me it's near unplayable. Afaik there is no hacked .exe to fix this. Apparently it can be "fixed" using a hex editor but that leads to crashes or something.

So I absolutely agree with him here. If you don't like or have problems with console FOVs don't bother. Which is a shame because I really liked Raven and now they have lost all credibility for me :(.

Javaman

chixdiggit said:
I like it. It's basically an RTS game except your warriors/archers/mages/etc have a mind of their own. Instead of telling them what to do, you can influence them by offering awards for exploration and killing certain enemies. It's pretty fun in a not so involved kind of way. If you are a hardcore Star Craft player however, this is not for you.

Best way to understand it is to compare it to Actraiser I, city building phase. You don't have direct control of the people, but can nudge them to do different things with gold such as scouting and closing monster "portals"

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
crimsonheadGCN said:
hmm...A number of Valve employees are playing a Steam title that is unknown and I know that one of them (finol) is working on Dota 2, since he mentioned it on the SomethingAwful forums.

Ooo, also Erik Johnson is playing and he's the project lead.

Edit: Beaten.
I'd argue them belong to a locked group called Dota >_>

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So, I just went to the US Steam store and noticed Singularity is actually on sale... but, for some reason, the game isn't available at all in the Australian store.

It wasn't censored or RC'd here, so I can't understand why.

Shaneus

JaseC said:
So, I just went to the US Steam store and noticed Singularity is actually on sale... but, for some reason, the game isn't available at all in the Australian store.

It wasn't censored or RC'd here, so I can't understand why.
That's odd. I definitely bought it when it was last on sale but can't remember whether I bought it myself or had it gifted. I can let you know when I get home tonight, though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Shaneus said:
That's odd. I definitely bought it when it was last on sale but can't remember whether I bought it myself or had it gifted. I can let you know when I get home tonight, though.

Yeah, I looked it up not too long ago (well, actually, maybe it was) as I had noticed more than a few people were hoping it would go on sale soon, and it was there, but now it's vanished. :/

Aselith

Phife Dawg said:
No, it has a very narrow FOV - feels like 55 or something (I played Q3 with 105). If you are fine with these things then it will not bother you (most console games have a very narrow FOV). For me it's near unplayable. Afaik there is no hacked .exe to fix this. Apparently it can be "fixed" using a hex editor but that leads to crashes or something.

So I absolutely agree with him here. If you don't like or have problems with console FOVs don't bother. Which is a shame because I really liked Raven and now they have lost all credibility for me :(.

This is the most subtle example of PC elitism that I've ever seen.

dLMN8R

Aselith said:
This is the most subtle example of PC elitism that I've ever seen.
Not really, it's plain fact. Console games have very narrow FOVs almost without exception, because of a combination of performance reasons (narrow FOV = rendering less of the environment) and setup (sitting further back from the TV means narrow FOVs feel more natural).

If you've never played PC games with wider FOVs you'll probably not notice, but some games still feel extremely claustrophobic.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
dLMN8R said:
Not really, it's plain fact. Console games have very narrow FOVs almost without exception, because of a combination of performance reasons (narrow FOV = rendering less of the environment) and setup (sitting further back from the TV means narrow FOVs feel more natural).

If you've never played PC games with wider FOVs you'll probably not notice, but some games still feel extremely claustrophobic.
Yeah, the viewing angles are completely different. I find low FOVs to be extremely nauseating in PC games for this reason. People complained about this in the PC version of Section 8: Prejiduce so much that the devs patched in a fix. But I haven't heard a word about it on the XBLA forums.

Carm

Yea, the narrow fov in Singularity made me physically ill till I somewhat got use to it after a few hours of play, always felt off though. It's really the only black mark on the game. It's really a shame so many developers screw fov up, even pc exclusive developers screw it up, stalker series for example. All the screw ups that happens with ports, it's probably the biggest one that can ruin a game experience for me.

nexen

The_Player said:
Just asked developer of one of my favorite indie-RPG Eschalon: Book II to make their game avaliable on Steam's Daily Deals, and that what they answered me:

Really? Fuck you Valve!
Really? Damn I want those two to go on sale too. I thought it would be up to the devs.

Who to we write to to request sales? I'll be spamming that inbox like my life was dependent on it.

edit: Not enjoying Singularity so far. For some reason it is one of the uber rare shooters that give me motion sickness. Last one was Half Life 2 (episode 1 and 2 were fine, but I played them on different hardware so probably frame rate issue there)

Phife Dawg said:

Don't you get a bad tunneling effect when you do that? That's what gets me a little motion sick.

Anyway, I never really noticed anything with Singularity, it felt fine to me, unless you're playing in 4:3 or something? I dunno.

Davidion

Amneisac said:
I feel obligated to warn everyone about Singularity:

THE FOV IS TOTALLY FUCKED!

It makes me sick to play for more than 5 or 10 minutes and there's no way to adjust the FOV (there might be a way to do it with a no cd crack modded exe but I'm not risking it with Steam).

There are lots of people who experience problems with this game and the FOV. If you're at all sensitive to games that have this problem take caution.

That is all.

Ugh, wish I saw this before I bought the game. One would have hoped that options to change this stuff is standard by now.

Money down the drain until someone fixes this, if/when it happens, I guess.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
I'll post this again for the new page, hoping to start up some hype for it.

Princess Skittles said:
According to SpaceDrake on the Carpe Fulgur forums.. a Chantelise release in late May or June is very likely.
Also, the expected price will be $9.99 or $14.99 (aka "less than Recettear").

Phife Dawg said:

ugh, I wish I read this stuff before I bought it. Low FOV gives me a headache. I wanted to vomit instantly playing Metro 2033 at default FOV; luckily I could change it there. If Singularity is locked and that low, ugh...maybe I'll just play it on my TV with a 360 controller.

Salsa

I really think the FOV thing is one of those "cant unsee" things. If you didnt know about it and never played around with FOV options in other PC FPSes you would probably never notice it.

Its kinda bad when this happens, but not game-breaking at all. Some of you have the biggest standards ever. Every game should have an option for this, yes, but if a game doesnt and i already bought it i would play it either way. Its only money down the drain if you choose it to be.

Dynoro

1-D_FTW said:
I wasn't sold on Singularity, but put it on my wishlist. This FOV info just caused me to delete it. Thanks for the heads up.
Yeah; thanks everyone for the heads up as I was going to pick it up when I got home but I won't be chancing it now as the wrong FOV setting makes me quite ill

1-D_FTW

SalsaShark said:
I really think the FOV thing is one of those "cant unsee" things. If you didnt know about it and never played around with FOV options in other PC FPSes you would probably never notice it.

Its kinda bad when this happens, but not game-breaking at all. Some of you have the biggest standards ever. Every game should have an option for this, yes, but if a game doesnt and i already bought it i would play it either way. Its only money down the drain if you choose it to be.

Depends where you already stand. My opinion of Raven is vastly different than the majority in this thread (and I prefer "if you have nothing nice to say...", so I'm trying to keep my mouth shut), so this is the tipping point for me. I can't stand it when I'm forced into tunnel vision claustrophobia, but I'll deal with it if need be. This isn't a game I'll make an exception for.

SalsaShark said:
yeah im thinking the daily deals are some bottom of the barrel stuff. Wallet safe i guess.

This is sorta true... but for now, they're just going to give standard / average games for the time being... but just as everyone's getting used to it and not taking so much attention like "OMG WHATS TOMORROWS GAME GONNA BE" there will be some BAM awesome deal and it will start all over again.

Davidion

SalsaShark said:

If a game gives me headaches and causes nausea I'll most certainly not play it. It has nothing to do with standards and everything to do with the fact that FOV affects people's physical reaction to a game where display dynamics are notably different between two platforms. People can be particularly sensitive when it comes to FPS games, which a small percentage of the population already can't play from the get go because it causes nausea for them.

Nobody told me Borderlands' FOV settings were different, and five minutes into playing the game I got a headache so severe that I had to stop playing and lie down.

Nabs

header_292x136.jpg

$3.40 deal of the year

Salsa

Davidion said:
If a game gives me headaches and causes nausea I'll most certainly not play it.

well hey, you cant blame me, you never specified this as a real physical problem. Of course that changes things.

you can edit the Borderlands FOV btw.

1-D_FTW said:
Haha. Is that the game Shawn Elliot spent an episode of GFW making fun of? I'm almost tempted.

I bought the third sequel to it, Rig N Roll for $2.99 from Gamer's Gate just out of curiosity. Ninety minutes later, I had just finished delivering my third load. It's strangely hypnotic.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
SalsaShark said:

You wouldn't know. You would just get motion sick without knowing why. This is what happened to me in HL2 until I found out about the FOV.

Echoplx

kamspy said:
I'm on record here being a big FOV defender. I had very little problem with Singularity's FOV.

$10 makes it a no brainer.

Here's a link to the fix. http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=19642&start=0

Also, the main gun in the game looks like the M4 from COD4 with a GPU strapped to the side. If that doesn't warrant a purchase, what does?

Did you even read that link? I can't find the specific fix there.. Can you clarify?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom