• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/apps/12520/0000003439.1920x1080.jpg?t=1268086533

T7IGl.jpg

Dat interior and weather combo. Problem, Turn 10 and PD?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
kurtrussell said:
Did you struggle with Portal too?
Not as much. It had a slower pace, and I played that on my spare computer for some reason, which had 17" 1280x1024 monitor instead of the 27" on my gaming rig. Portal 2 defaults to a FOV of 90. No idea what the original was.

For reasons that I don't understand getting lost and getting motion sick go hand in hand for me. That's something that happens in HL2 more than Portal.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
DoctorWho said:
You could have bought a fairly good coffee for that price. You'll be disappointed!

I'm a tea drinker and my tea backlog is bigger than my game backlog so I'm not too worried about that possibility.

TheExodu5 said:
Keep us updated.

I'm at work. I launched it here just for a few seconds. It's ugly as hell, much uglier than Railworks. Distance units can be kilometers or miles. You choose between a campaign (three difficulty settings, and you pick a home base) or single run. If it's a single run, you choose a destination, point of origin, type of goods to transport (there was a huge list including "explosives"), and type of truck. There seems to be about a dozen truck types, but there's no indication how they differ. Each truck type has many decal types.

I started and I was in a sort of storage/dockyard. I drove around a bit. Handling on the trucks was terrible, which I guess is realistic. Montreal didn't look anything like Montreal.

The game didn't punish me for running a red and smashing headlong into a car, so I guess it's a little less simulation oriented than RW. Maybe the campaign does this. Unlike Railworks there's no tutorial so I guess you kinda just kinda haul up the controls and get used to them.

Will play some more tonight.

nexen

SapientWolf said:
You wouldn't know. You would just get motion sick without knowing why. This is what happened to me in HL2 until I found out about the FOV.
This whole FOV thing is a lightbulb moment for me. I certainly did not know what was making me ill in Singularity or HL2.

3chopl0x said:
Did you even read that link? I can't find the specific fix there.. Can you clarify?
Yeah, I can't find it either. Would really like to play this game without fear of vomiting.

kamspy

3chopl0x said:
Did you even read that link? I can't find the specific fix there.. Can you clarify?

I thought it did a good job at pointing toward the fix, since it's probably against the rules to post it here. It involves using a cracked .exe, but it's very doable. The cracked .exe can even fix the slow texture loading.

FWIW, Kotor requires a cracked .exe on Steam to get proper widescreen. I've been using it for over a year with no problems from Steam. I don't know why Singularity wouldn't share the same freedoms.

1-D_FTW

SapientWolf said:
Not as much. It had a slower pace, and I played that on my spare computer for some reason, which had 17" 1280x1024 monitor instead of the 27" on my gaming rig. Portal 2 defaults to a FOV of 90. No idea what the original was.

For reasons that I don't understand getting lost and getting motion sick go hand in hand for me.
That's something that happens in HL2 more than Portal.

Just contributes to the disorientation your brain has. I don't really have this issue, but on super rare occasion will get some "lethargy" if I'm super lost and everything looks the same and I can't get bearings on what my direction is supposed to be.

The worst game at this and the only one that ever made me feel super crummy was Descent for the PSX. Between the game being 360 degrees of movement and having no textures or landmarks of identifying value, I just went in circles. Felt like I'd been in the backseat of car, reading, for hours. Took me a couple hours to stop feeling crummy.

Twig

Banned
kamspy said:
I thought it did a good job at pointing toward the fix, since it's probably against the rules to post it here. It involves using a cracked .exe, but it's very doable. The cracked .exe can even fix the slow texture loading.

FWIW, Kotor requires a cracked .exe on Steam to get proper widescreen. I've been using it for over a year with no problems from Steam. I don't know why Singularity wouldn't share the same freedoms.
Plenty of people use cracked .exes with their Steam games. I've done it on more than one occasion. Works wonderfully. (Well, I've heard it just plain doesn't work for some games, but I've never had a problem.)

scorpscarx said:
But but but... is it worth two fitty.

Seriously is Plain Sight a buy it now kinda game? Say the word.
It is a great game. Tons of fun.

The only problem - and I'm aware that at this point, it's pretty much a self-fulfilling condemnation - is that the community is tiny. And I don't just mean like a dozen online at a time. I mean tiny. Nobody plays the damn game. Most I've managed to get in a single server at once in the past year has been 4, and 2 of them were my friends. And 1 of them was me! ):

nexen

MRORANGE said:
The fov is perfectly fine and the level design environments are more spaced than other corridor shooters.
It isn't fine for me. I get physically ill when playing the game for more than a few minutes. I'm not totally sure it is the FOV but evidence is mounting.

Twig said:
I'm so glad Valve has given all of you even more opportunity to bitch and moan.

Ugh.
Motion sickness isn't just an opportunity to bitch. It renders the game unplayable for me. I'd really like to play it since I just paid for it.

Twig

Banned
nexen said:
Motion sickness isn't just an opportunity to bitch. It renders the game unplayable for me. I'd really like to play it since I just paid for it.
Haha, I was talking about people bitching about sales.

Motion sickness is the worst. I've only experienced it a few times - airboat section in HL2, most of the first SiN, and Elebits on Wii (the only time I actually QUIT playing a game because of it, not that it was an exceptional game to begin with) - but I know it sucks the butt. ):

Oreoleo

scorpscarx said:
But but but... is it worth two fitty.

Seriously is Plain Sight a buy it now kinda game? Say the word.
Buy it and play it before the player count dies back down. Plain Sight is really fun but the community just isn't there. Aside from that, it's a no-brainer at 2.50.

Also they have a 4-pack for 7.50 if 2.50 is too much for some of you to swallow.

nyong

Banned
Were it the newer one, I would have considered the trucking sim (can't believe I'm saying that). If the impressions are overwhelmingly positive I may still consider it for my laptop, though.

Forkball

I might pick up Plain Sight, but I have no idea why small indie companies make multiplayer-only games. It's hard to build up a community from scratch without a pedigree or a popular brand, so you'd think indie game developers would make a compelling single player experience to ensure sales. That way when people ask "Is X game's community dead?" people will say "yes, but the single player is fun so it's worth a purchase."

coopolon

Xapati said:
So apparently there is a sequal coming out in a couple of weeks for MTG Duels of the Planeswalkers.

Loved the original, but I really hope they give us more flexibility for deck building this time around.

I don't think they are adding in significant deck building capabilities. At least that's what I remember reading in the DotP OT.

LocoMrPollock said:
Don't you get a bad tunneling effect when you do that? That's what gets me a little motion sick.

Anyway, I never really noticed anything with Singularity, it felt fine to me, unless you're playing in 4:3 or something? I dunno.
Playing in 16:10, FOV 105 is not really fish-eye (at least not for me). Narrow FOV makes me motion sick though.

SalsaShark said:
Its kinda bad when this happens, but not game-breaking at all. Some of you have the biggest standards ever. Every game should have an option for this, yes, but if a game doesnt and i already bought it i would play it either way. Its only money down the drain if you choose it to be.
Nope, makes it almost unplayable for me. Not an issue for you? Great! I didn't say it's a deal breaker for everyone, just the ones that care about these things (for whatever reason).

Aselith said:
This is the most subtle example of PC elitism that I've ever seen.
Nope, I'm usually very open about my PC elitism. I do play console FPS (or at least the demos) so I know about the FOV issue. Sadly it translates over to PC ports and that's where the problems begin.

Shahadan

Plain Sight tried. It's fun. Buy it.

Only problem is now my game is crashing at launch. It didn't do that until I played an online game. Weird.
A friend has the same problem, but for him it is since he installed the game :lol

Is it a known issue?

Javaman

Forkball said:
I might pick up Plain Sight, but I have no idea why small indie companies make multiplayer-only games. It's hard to build up a community from scratch without a pedigree or a popular brand, so you'd think indie game developers would make a compelling single player experience to ensure sales. That way when people ask "Is X game's community dead?" people will say "yes, but the single player is fun so it's worth a purchase."
Cough'dinod-day'Cough. Perfect example.

Forkball said:

Multiplayer-only games are easier. You don't need much in the way of AI, you don't need any complicated scripting, and there's a lot less asset creation. I think it sucks too, but I understand why they do it.

vocab

TheFightingFish said:
i6Lhtl.jpg

Heh, two player on one keyboard battle mode. That would be some dang tight quarters to be playing in if things get salty.

Dumbest fucking setup ever. What sane person prefers to use right hand directional keys.

super street fighter iv is way too expensive for a late port. should be 20 bucks max

also if i were to play it on the keyboard i would use the right hand directional keys. i can do most attacks with it too

Dizzy-4U

Tim-E said:
Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition is now available for pre-order on Steam @ $40.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/45760/?snr=1_550_552&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I thought they said they wouldn't release this on PC originally? Either way, I've been thinking about SF4 lately and I haven't played since the original release so I may pick this up.
Wait...."The game is not available in your region"...What the hell is that bullshit???
DAO: Ultimate Edition all over again. That's fantastic.

Joe Molotov

Green Biker Dude said:
super street fighter iv is way too expensive for a late port. should be 20 bucks max

No no, you guys are confused. It's not SUPER STREET FIGHTER IV, it's SUPER STREET FIGHTER IV: ARCADE EDITION. Totally different game. Also not to be confused with STREET FIGHTER IV, SUPER STREET FIGHTER II: ARCADE EDITION, or STREET SUPER FIGHTER IV: ARCADE EDITION.

-COOLIO- said:
is AE going to be the last sf4 or should i keep waiting?

Knowing Capcom, I doubt it.

inc Super Street Fighter 4: Hyper Tournament Edition!

Dizzy-4U said:
Wait...."The game is not available in your region"...What the hell is that bullshit???
DAO: Ultimate Edition all over again. That's fantastic.

For the vast majority of new GFWL titles, Valve will not sell a title in a region if it's not a Live supported region.

Anksta

ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
Awesome. I wouldn't mind getting in on a 4-pack or starting one if there is enough people interested.

I'd also like to get in on a 4-pack so if anyone is organising, count me in.

vocab

-COOLIO- said:
is AE going to be the last sf4 or should i keep waiting?

Most likely the last until SFXT is finished. Though it's capcom, they are just as bad as nintendo when to comes to this shit.

Twig

Banned
vocab said:
Most likely the last until SFXT is finished. Though it's capcom, they are just as bad as nintendo when to comes to this shit.
Worse, actually. At least Nintendo doesn't [usually] release only slightly updated versions of the game on the same platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom