• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

Anyone know what the THQ downloader is like? The two games I'm semi-interested in (Juiced 2 and MX/ATV whatever) aren't Steamy :(

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Ettie said:
LovingSteam says it's up to the pubs. Pubs would rather convince a customer to spend 20 and buy it on Steam, than to see me get an old title for dirt cheap and register it on steam for the same benefits. Good business, but I don't like it much as a customer who likes steam a whole bunch.
Well, I got Morrowind for 5$ during a Steam sale, so there's always hope.

Ettie

Lyphen said:
Well, I got Morrowind for 5$ during a Steam sale, so there's always hope.

Yep, and hope I shall, because I really can't see shelling out 20 bucks for it. Does wonders for my backlog though :D

DSmalls84

Mrbob said:
Darksiders is a sweet game, you might as well grab that one too. :D

THQ has really stepped it up as a publishers lately. So many good games they have published. Hopefully Homefront turns out well.

Lol I just bought it on Ps3 a month ago, and I have been getting bad about about double dipping on cheap Steam games.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ettie said:
LovingSteam says it's up to the pubs. Pubs would rather convince a customer to spend 20 and buy it on Steam, than to see me get an old title for dirt cheap and register it on steam for the same benefits. Good business, but I don't like it much as a customer who likes steam a whole bunch.

If they let people do this, then they would have to always offer the cheapest price or else no one would buy games from Steam's store. As it is, people who are heavily invested in Steam will often pass on fantastic deals from other DD outlets and wait for the big Steam sales to do their purchasing. If they let any game be registered and downloaded from their servers, what exactly does Steam gain as a business?

Also, it would be a huge pain in the ass to convince publishers to give Steam every possible existing CD key for their games, and then to create a massive database for these to allow people to register CD keys for their non-Steam purchased games. They already let you attach games to Steam so you can launch them from your games list and use the Steam overlay, but it's kind of ridiculous to expect them to let you register any old game you bought elsewhere and download them using their bandwidth.

Joe Molotov

Shaneus said:
Anyone know what the THQ downloader is like? The two games I'm semi-interested in (Juiced 2 and MX/ATV whatever) aren't Steamy :(

I think MX vs ATV Reflex can be registered on Steam, although don't hold me to it because the THQ downloadable version may have different codes or something. But I bought it on sale at Direct2Drive and then registered it on Steam a few months ago. The official Steam list sometimes misses a few, since it doesn't list the retail release of The Ball either, but it's Steamworks.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
echoshifting said:
Hmmm I think I'll pick that Myst pack up during the summer sale. Never did play much of Riven, and I'd like to be able to say I beat Myst without walkthroughs, which I relied on heavily back in the day.
I haven't been able to get the Steam versions to work properly on W7, although admittedly I haven't tried that ridiculously hard.

amrod

Joe Molotov said:
I think MX vs ATV Reflex can be registered on Steam, although don't hold me to it because the THQ downloadable version may have different codes or something. But I bought it on sale at Direct2Drive and then registered it on Steam a few months ago. The official Steam list sometimes misses a few, since it doesn't list the retail release of The Ball either, but it's Steamworks.

I was gonna pick up that, but THQ don't take paypal...

Is Chaos Rising stand-alone? Already played DoW2 somewhere else. Also, I was looking at that list and it seems it won't be able to activate on Steam, or does it count as a DoW2 key anyways?

Narag

Mr_Guillotine said:
Is Chaos Rising stand-alone? Already played DoW2 somewhere else. Also, I was looking at that list and it seems it won't be able to activate on Steam, or does it count as a DoW2 key anyways?

Steamworks and standalone I thought.

vocab

Mr_Guillotine said:

It should be standalone, DOW2 vanilla is updated to the Chaos Rising client. Also, it activates on steam fine.

bestami

My country wasn't eligable for Chaos Rising so i just changed the country to United States and picked a random state. It worked.

ps: I probably picked a bad state because i got taxed :p.

kamspy

Prison Tycoon 4: SUPERMAX

How can anyone not buy this game? smh.

XZXMY.jpg

Picked up both DoWII games and it couldn't have been easier. They give you the Steam keys for both immediately after purchase on the site, you don't even have to fool with e-mail. Cut-n-paste into Steam and voila. This deal came at a great time.

Prison Tycoon looks so cool but the reviews are absolutely horrid. If one of you gents extracts any joy from it at all I will probably go ahead and bite.

The_Technomancer said:
I haven't been able to get the Steam versions to work properly on W7, although admittedly I haven't tried that ridiculously hard.

Thanks for the heads up!

Ettie

Zefah said:
If they let people do this, then they would have to always offer the cheapest price or else no one would buy games from Steam's store. As it is, people who are heavily invested in Steam will often pass on fantastic deals from other DD outlets and wait for the big Steam sales to do their purchasing. If they let any game be registered and downloaded from their servers, what exactly does Steam gain as a business?

Also, it would be a huge pain in the ass to convince publishers to give Steam every possible existing CD key for their games, and then to create a massive database for these to allow people to register CD keys for their non-Steam purchased games. They already let you attach games to Steam so you can launch them from your games list and use the Steam overlay, but it's kind of ridiculous to expect them to let you register any old game you bought elsewhere and download them using their bandwidth.

I agree with all of your points, and think that they are all well reasoned. I get that it is a ridiculous request. That doesn't stop me and others from wanting something, even if it is outrageous and gains the business nothing at all besides potential patronage.
So nothing measurable, really.

I wonder if enough of the market will ever demand service of this type loud enough to make it a reality. Perhaps if at some point in the future every publisher included DD copies with their hard copy games, steam could simply serve as a front end, and files would be pulled from the respective publishers via that steamy front end. A third party interface that could tie all the DD services and publisher stores together would be fantabulous also.

Right now, individual DD services would scoff at any such thing as it would take traffic from their storefronts. I can't see a resolution for this actually, so maybe it's all pie-in-the-sky.

Still, would love a DD aggregator that would let me add clients (Steam, Impulse, D2D), then browse all of their storefronts, buy and download through one window. In fact I'd likely be just as happy with that as being able to register more older hard copy games, because more titles are moving to DD and bigger companies a la Amazon are getting throwing their hats in the ring.

I'm getting so sick of Steam's shitty download rate. I went to try out the EVE Online demo on Steam, and it started downloading at 250kbps no matter which download location I went to. So I went straight to the EVE site and it's now is now downloading at 1400kbps.

webrunner

lastplayed said:
I'm getting so sick of Steam's shitty download rate. I went to try out the EVE Online demo on Steam, and it started downloading at 250kbps no matter which download location I went to. So I went straight to the EVE site and it's now is now downloading at 1400kbps.

If you set the download location to some crazy place sometimes you get crazy good speeds.

John

oh my god

it happened. i never thought this would happen to me, but it did.

i saw king arthur on sale, figured what the hell i'll get it, to open steam showing me a screen telling me that "there is new content for your game, king arthur!"

this is insane

these are the real steam achievements

webrunner said:
If you set the download location to some crazy place sometimes you get crazy good speeds.

Possibly. I tried a few crazy locations, but wasn't going to try them all. Maybe when I don't have any alternatives I'll try harder. :p

graywolf323

John said:
oh my god

i saw king arthur on sale, figured what the hell i'll get it, to open steam showing me a screen telling me that "there is new content for your game, king arthur!"

this is insane

that's why one of my favorite changes they've made is the big green box on product pages telling you you already own a game :p

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
John said:
oh my god

this is insane

This happened to me for the first time as well with the Europa Universalis expansion, Heir to the Throne... although I'm absolutely sure I only ever bought Europa Universalis Complete.

Shaneus

bestami said:
My country wasn't eligable for Chaos Rising so i just changed the country to United States and picked a random state. It worked.

ps: I probably picked a bad state because i got taxed :p.
Likewise for ATV/MX... it worked so easily. Stupid THQ.

Edit: Also plugged into Steam fine (without any regional mucking about). Now I know it works... time to go nuts :D

Sir Garbageman said:
Which of the Total War series is worth picking up?

I've enjoyed them all, but Rome and Medieval II are starting to look a bit dated. I'd just go for whichever period of history you're most interested in.

Rctdaemon said:
They send the keys and links to the downloads in an email after your order is processed. You can then add those keys in Steam by going to 'Games' and choosing 'Activate a product on Steam'
Thanks, that was almost too easy.

Shaneus

FYI, both Juiced 2 and the Titan Quest games won't register on Steam. No biggie for me, but some of you might be curious.

lastplayed said:
I've enjoyed them all, but Rome and Medieval II are starting to look a bit dated. I'd just go for whichever period of history you're most interested in.

Sinatar said:
Anything but Empire/Napoleon is good.

Thanks. Probably gonna go with Medieval II next time it's up for sale.

vocab

King Arthur is cool and all, but man the game can't get past 30 fps. You turn it to all low, and max is 47. It's not that big of a deal, but Id prefer at least similar or better performance than TW. There's far less units.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
No, only Retribution (other two are staying as-is). It'll split the playerbase, but hopefully everyone will be playing Retribution anyway.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Well, you're still able to play now. And then with Retribution or Vanilla/CR player later. Just not both.

teiresias

I've been wanting a more sci-fi-ish game to play since fantasy is starting to get tiring and old. Warhammer looks like it's at least different enough from regular fantasy to be refreshing. I tend to suck at RTS games though, so I haven't decided yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom