• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I'm getting impatient. Gimmie TDU2!

Also DA:O Ultimate went down to $40. Think it'll go on sale when DA2 comes out?

Mrbob

Metro, Darksiders, Dow2, and Chaos Rising all unlock on steam too.

I'm going to make sure DM gets DoW2 and Chaos rising this time!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
The_Inquisitor said:
How is DOW2 + xpac? I never played the first.
Amazing, fantastic, the best "RTS" single player out there. Mostly because it isn't really RTS. Tactical squad combat, really.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Story is just "save these planets with trillions of people on them, hero" stuff, but the characters in Warhammer can't be compared to anything else. Super macho linguists. And yes, first is worth playing. Good achievements in both, and your save file carries over.

Mrbob

The_Inquisitor said:

Amazing. The campaign is able to be played online via co op. I'm not into competitive multi so I spend all my time playing through the campaign with friends and then also hitting up the last stand. This is a horde style mode where 3 people fight waves increasingly stronger enemies.

I see they have the first ones on sale for 5 dollars a pop? Should I just go ahead and wait for the package to be on sale for the first one? Hm....

Metalic Sand said:
THQ is having a %75 off sale on DD PC games. Some have steam keys.

http://store.thq.com/store?SiteID=t...ductListPage&categoryID=54746400&pgm=68494300

Metro 2033 - $10
Warhammer® 40,000™: Dawn of War® II - $7.50
Warhammer® 40,000™: Dawn of War® - Chaos Rising - $5
Darksiders - $10
Thanks for the link. Skipped Metro 2033 but bought the rest in anticipation of getting my new PC in.

If I want to integrate these into Steam - do I download/install them first and then register the keys into Steam or do is there a Steam installer I initiate via the keys? (Pardon in advance if this is a noob question.)

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Dawn of War 1 is dated, and standard RTS fare. It was good back when it came out, but honestly, we have SC2 now.

Dawn of War 2 just stands on its own, right at the front.

Rctdaemon

Union Carbine said:
Thanks for the link. Skipped Metro 2033 but bought the rest in anticipation of getting my new PC in.

If I want to integrate these into Steam - do I download/install them first and then register the keys into Steam or do is there a Steam installer I initiate via the keys? (Pardon in advance if this is a noob question.)
They send the keys and links to the downloads in an email after your order is processed. You can then add those keys in Steam by going to 'Games' and choosing 'Activate a product on Steam'

Union Carbine said:

You enter the keys into Steam and they will download and install. Don't even bother with THQ's download manager.

edit: beaten

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The_Inquisitor said:
As others have said, DOWII is an excellent single player and co-op game, as is the expansion. They are worth it even if you never touch the multiplayer stuff which I barely did. The story is pretty much there to keep you going from level to level but it isn't completely perfunctory, there a few interesting twists along the way.

Minsc

Gold Member
The_Inquisitor said:
I see they have the first ones on sale for 5 dollars a pop? Should I just go ahead and wait for the package to be on sale for the first one? Hm....

DoW 1 and DoW 2 really have nothing to do with each other, and they play nothing alike, so it's fine to play the DoW 2 first. DoW 2: Chaos Rising is the best game for story, but playing the vanilla DoW really builds the characters for you. The VA and roles are perfect in DoW 2.

DoW 1 (original campaign) is just a kick ass and take no questions type story. I really enjoyed it, but DoW 2 is much more fun in many ways. The other DoW 1 campaigns are not as good imo, but still enjoyable. DoW 1 is like the Duke Nukem of RTS imo. DoW 2's story is great and Chaos Rising really wraps it all up nicely and gives you much more enjoyable missions and expands the characters perfectly.

For my money the best single player experience DoW1 has to offer is Dark Crusade (on Hard). Soulstorm goes a little overboard with the "tactical map" idea and the new units/armies really aren't anything special. The "boss fight" maps in Dark Crusade are a ton of fun, though, and it is a genuinely challenging experience on Hard.

Loam

Does it say how long the THQ deal is going to go on for? All I can find date wise "Limited time only".

Lyphen said:
Dawn of War 1 is dated, and standard RTS fare. It was good back when it came out, but honestly, we have SC2 now.

Dawn of War 2 just stands on its own, right at the front.

While the original Dawn of War is indeed dated graphically I still think its one of the best RTS' available. Its resource mechanic, cover system, and commander customization still make it one of the most unique experiences in the genre despite its age. In fact for people looking for an RTS to play I would recommended picking it up over most of what is on shelves now simply because there is nothing else like it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So, I just noticed that Two Worlds II in the New Releases section. That's new, right?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Sweet, I'll definitely get Metro since it's Steam compatible. I've been wanting to add it to my collection anyways so I'll have something to show off the power of my PC.
1-2 weeks and I'm finally on board. :) can't fuckin wait

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
oracrest said:
How do I tell which ones have steam keys? (mostly interested in the Warhammer 40K titles, including the first one.)

this was just posted a few above you

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-wusf-3601

looks like a few of the big ones are supported

I'm tempted to get Prison Tycoon as well. I haven't heard anything good about the series but that's an awesome concept for a game. Have any of you bros played it?

Ettie

I really wish Valve would open that register-able catalog open a bit more. Would like to get Morrowind GOTY for 10 from Amazon and activate with Steam, but old games don't seem to have much of a chance.

Ettie said:
I really wish Valve would open that register-able catalog open a bit more. Would like to get Morrowind GOTY for 10 from Amazon and activate with Steam, but old games don't seem to have much of a chance.
Its up to the pubs of the games.

mclem

amrod said:
Cyan Complete Pack
Includes 7 items: realMYST, Riven: The Sequel to MYST, Cosmic Osmo and the Worlds Beyond the Mackerel, Manhole Masterpiece, Spelunx and the Caves of Mr. Seudo, URU: Complete Chronicles, Myst: Masterpiece Edition

WAS $19.99 -25%
NOW $14.99 USD
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/4870/

Whoa, Cosmic Osmo *and* Spelunx? Now that's interesting. Two titles I've always been a bit curious about, given they bridged the gap between Manhole and Myst.

nexen said:
King Arthur for $2.99 is the weekend deal.

Any good?

Whats the difficulty like? Complete strategy noob outside of the occasional RTS.

Follow up question, whats considered generally considered the best strategy game on STEAM right now? It's a genre I'm curious in messing around with a little bit.

Joe Molotov

I was just about to buy The Sims 3, and then I opened up Steam and saw Two Worlds II and I was like "suck it, ea"! Janky EuroPGs ftw!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ettie said:

Besides the possible legal issues with this, why would they do this?

I have used the thq store before when DoWII was cheap but for some reason UK is not under the listings when I check out, ugh *edit* I IS BLIND

Fredescu

Lyphen said:
Wish Valve let me use their bandwidth for everything while I payed for my services elsewhere.
I'm sure they would if they could. More reasons for people to launch the storefront? Yes please!

Ettie

Zefah said:
Besides the possible legal issues with this, why would they do this?

LovingSteam says it's up to the pubs. Pubs would rather convince a customer to spend 20 and buy it on Steam, than to see me get an old title for dirt cheap and register it on steam for the same benefits. Good business, but I don't like it much as a customer who likes steam a whole bunch.

Lyphen said:
Wish Valve let me use their bandwidth for everything while I payed for my services elsewhere.

Yes I do. Although, if Steam always had the best prices on the things in their catalog, I'd never buy anywhere else. That doesn't seem to be in their power to implement in the current way things are decided.

Mrbob

DSmalls84 said:
Been waiting to pick up Metro and Chaos Rising on sale, trying to stop myself from ordering Darksiders too....

Darksiders is a sweet game, you might as well grab that one too. :D

THQ has really stepped it up as a publishers lately. So many good games they have published. Hopefully Homefront turns out well.

Fox318

Mrbob said:
Darksiders is a sweet game, you might as well grab that one too. :D

THQ has really stepped it up as a publishers lately. So many good games they have published. Hopefully Homefront turns out well.
I'd say pick up Frontlines but nobody is playing it :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom