• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but how would one hypothetically go about selling a STEAM account? I know that it isn't allowed but I also know that it is done.

PumpkinPie said:
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but how would one hypothetically go about selling a STEAM account? I know that it isn't allowed but I also know that it is done.

Illegal here and for steam. If you get caught Valve has the right to outright ban your entire account.

Xapati

Rodney McKay said:
So I just picked up and downloaded Dawn of War II and Chaos Rising and it seems to run fine except for one slightly amusing glitch on the main menu.

The dude in armor standing at the main menu when you start the game up is missing his head.
DOW2%20missing%20head%20smalljpg.jpg

It loaded the first time I started it up then it restarted when I tweaked the settings and his head and other parts were blacked out, so I restarted it again. Now he looks fine except for the missing head.

I'm thinking of just reinstalling it to see if that fixes it unless anyone has another solution.
I'm running a Athlon 2 X4 3.0Ghz quad core and a Radeon 5770.

That is a weird bug, try playing with the graphics settings. Else reinstall / check game files

Geoff9920

Rodney McKay said:
So I just picked up and downloaded Dawn of War II and Chaos Rising and it seems to run fine except for one slightly amusing glitch on the main menu.

The dude in armor standing at the main menu when you start the game up is missing his head.
DOW2%20missing%20head%20smalljpg.jpg

It loaded the first time I started it up then it restarted when I tweaked the settings and his head and other parts were blacked out, so I restarted it again. Now he looks fine except for the missing head.

I'm thinking of just reinstalling it to see if that fixes it unless anyone has another solution.
I'm running a Athlon 2 X4 3.0Ghz quad core and a Radeon 5770.
Yeah, I'm running an i7 / 5970 and get the same issue. Messed around with the graphic settings while keeping all other settings at their max. Changing the texture detail appears to impact this weird glitch.

Low and Medium = Everything shows up fine
High = Specific armor pieces showing up but blank
Ultra = Everything shows up but the Head

Now actual gameplay everything is fine with no glitches what so ever... it's just the main menu. Very Weird.

coopolon

The_Inquisitor said:
Illegal here and for steam. If you get caught Valve has the right to outright ban your entire account.

Why is it illegal? Is breaking TOS really illegal? Certainly if Valve catches you they would argue they have the right to ban you and might do so. It's not like your selling copies of games while you can still play them. Hell, here on Gaf people exchanging money for gifts to get around bad regional pricing is most definitely against the TOS.

I just did a quick ebay search and several people have their Steam accounts up for sale. No bids though. You could also try Craig's List.

It's true if Valve caught you they could ban you, but I'm not sure how they'd catch you. They could probably tell ebay to take the auction down though, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

And I know people sell vouchers on ebay all the time for Steam games, like if you get one with your gpu, or if you buy a game that comes with another game you already have and it's one of the ones Valve lets you gift away.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
coopolon said:
I just did a quick ebay search and several people have their Steam accounts up for sale. No bids though. You could also try Craig's List.
Wouldn't surprise me if a considerable percentage of those accounts actually was stolen.

Cloak

Sorry if this is a little OT, but with steam, can you have your downloaded games spread across more than one drive? I was thinking of getting a small SSD and put on (besides the OS) some bigger games (HL2, Borderlands, etc) to help with load times, and others on my regular internal.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Okay I'm really confused with this Dawn of War stuff. What is an expansion to what and what comes with the content of other stuff? Should I just say fuck it and jump in with Retribution? Is Retribution even a standalone game?

Dice said:
Okay I'm really confused with this Dawn of War stuff. What is an expansion to what and what comes with the content of other stuff? Should I just say fuck it and jump in with Retribution? Is Retribution even a standalone game?
Yes, it's a standalone expansion. All games in the series are worth playing if you have the time. You can import your heroes from Dawn of War II to the Chaos Rising expansion, and probably also to the new Retribution expansion.

Edit: You can get both the base game and the first expansion for cheap from the THQ Winter sale.

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - $7.50
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising - $5

Mrbob

Dice said:

Dawn of War 2 = Main Game

Chaos Rising = Expansion number one

Retribution = Expansion number two

Play the campaign in that order. Can't wait till March 1 to get my hands on Retribution. :D The campaign might be separate in Retribution, not sure. However all character stats from DoW2 campaign carries over to Chaos Rising.

Dice

I see DoW2 in the Steam CD keys list. Does that apply to Chaos Rising as well?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
^Yes, CR registers.
Dice said:
Retribution is 100% standalone, because it drops GFWL. The only connectivity is with it allowing you to import your profiles from the other games.

You definitely want to play vanilla + xpac first. For the gameplay and to be caught up on the story.

Dice

Okay, done. This is a nice deal. It also seems like the perfect blend for me between RTS/RPG/Looter. Not too mindless (Torchlight), not too complex (Dragon Age), not too intense (Starcraft 2), not too slow (Total War), not too douchebaggy (MMOs) not too bland (Elder Scrolls)

Blizzard

Banned
Retribution also still has the free beta until release, I believe. I have it installed and may try it even though I haven't played the earlier Warhammer games.

Ledsen

K.Jack said:
^Yes, CR registers.

Retribution is 100% standalone, because it drops GFWL. The only connectivity is with it allowing you to import your profiles from the other games.

You definitely want to play vanilla + xpac first. For the gameplay and to be caught up on the story.

I don't know man... I hardly remember the names of the characters, and I certainly have no idea what they were doing throughout the game aside from killing orks/tyranids. Completely forgettable.

Aaron

I found the SP campaign of Dawn of War II to be terrible, just badly structured, repetitive, and unfairly punishing. Don't bother with it. Chaos Rising was a huge improvement, and very much worth playing.

Scipius

Cloak said:
Sorry if this is a little OT, but with steam, can you have your downloaded games spread across more than one drive? I was thinking of getting a small SSD and put on (besides the OS) some bigger games (HL2, Borderlands, etc) to help with load times, and others on my regular internal.

Yes, but you'll have to do it yourself; you'll need to create symbolic links to where you moved your files/folders on the SSD. There was a thread about it recently: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=420200

Cipherr

This should be a good place to ask.

Has anyone played through all of the current HL episodes? Im not really a big fps fan and wondering if I should play through them.

I absolutely loathe horror games. If theres going to be fucking shit jumping out of nowhere on me with volume+++ scating the shit out of me Ill just watch a playthrough on youtube. Im only considering playing through it because supposedly portal could possibly tie into HL E3 or something down the road. Even if it were only a slight link itd be cool as shit.

Mrbob

Aaron said:
I found the SP campaign of Dawn of War II to be terrible, just badly structured, repetitive, and unfairly punishing. Don't bother with it. Chaos Rising was a huge improvement, and very much worth playing.

Didn't have any of these problems. I guess repetitive since sometimes your troops get sent back to an old area but you are always getting new things to do and new lewt to find. Chaos Rising has a more linear campaign. I don't know if it is any better or worse overall. I liked them both.

I have only played a little of HL 1, which is definitely a faster paced action game with plenty of things that jump out at you, although what I have played is really good.

I have played all of Half Life 2 after spending decades as a platformer and JRPG player with only Doom era fps experience and with Portal and Fallout 3 as my introduction to modern computer gaming.

Half Life 2 is eminently playable for anyone who can grasp WASD controls and is absolutely required gaming. You will love (almost) every moment of the game even if you do not normally care for FPS gaming. It is much more deliberate and focused on creative gaming and cinematic set pieces than the average action game, and it has a great story and great characters. Half Life 1 is not necessary, and many characters that seem to carry over really were not particularly developed in the first game, so you don't really get to know them until HL2 anyway.

Xapati

Cipherr said:
This should be a good place to ask.

Has anyone played through all of the current HL episodes? Im not really a big fps fan and wondering if I should play through them.

I absolutely loathe horror games. If theres going to be fucking shit jumping out of nowhere on me with volume+++ scating the shit out of me Ill just watch a playthrough on youtube. Im only considering playing through it because supposedly portal could possibly tie into HL E3 or something down the road. Even if it were only a slight link itd be cool as shit.

HL is no scary game, yeah there are a bunch of boo zombies but it's about as scary as RE4, in other words not at all. I'm gonna get stabbed here, but imo Half Life games are average fps's. The story is goofy and the weapons feel like they have no power. It's not that they are bad games but they aren't a must play like some people make them out to be.

I am going to ask in this thread because I am running out of ideas. I am getting these random css lag spikes that last 1 second. I have 20ping (doesnt fluctuate when these spikes happen) and 150-200fps (doesnt dip when I get these spikes) I am on wireless internet. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe it is a directX thing?

Red

Xapati said:
HL is no scary game, yeah there are a bunch of boo zombies but it's about as scary as RE4, in other words not at all. I'm gonna get stabbed here, but imo Half Life games are average fps's. The story is goofy and the weapons feel like they have no power. It's not that they are bad games but they aren't a must play like some people make them out to be.
They are more about world building than they are satisfying gunplay. Half Life 1 was very impressive on release for a number of reasons, Half Life 2 was great as well but less impressive. The thing is, it released alongside Doom 3 and Halo 2, and clearly demolished them both in quality. It doesn't really hold up on repeated playthroughs, but it's a great one-time thing (minus the boat and buggy sections). I agree it is overpraised, but it's still worth playing.

Episode 1 and 2 are both better than the main game. Episode 2 especially. They are leading the series in a more focused direction, and it's better for that.

As for the scares, there is a section of HL2 called Ravenholm that is especially tense, and it's the closest the series skirts with horror. The tension comes less with "shit out of nowhere" jumps and more "oh my god when will these things stop cominOH SHIT NO NOT ANOTHER FAST ONE."

Minsc

Gold Member
Aaron said:

It's punishing, repetitive and badly structured, but it's still fun. It really makes you appreciate the characters and level design even more in Chaos Rising. I think if you just skip DoW 2 for CR, you might have more fun, but you miss out on all the banter from the original.

Aaron

Mrbob said:
Didn't have any of these problems. I guess repetitive since sometimes your troops get sent back to an old area but you are always getting new things to do and new lewt to find. Chaos Rising has a more linear campaign. I don't know if it is any better or worse overall. I liked them both.
The original campaign was clear the area and then fight the boss, while being unable to save until you've cleared the entire (too long) stage. Every area I played was set up this exact same way, and it was just boring. Chaos Rising is more dynamic with various objectives and situations, plus you can save anywhere. I think it's easily better.

Blizzard

Banned
x3_1xg30.png

x3_2eina.png

Ah, it's so good to see this sort of complicated, 100-page manual with insane controls. It brings back memories of the X-Wing game(s). :D

(X3: Terran Conflict...just started, and I've spent like 20 minutes moving my ship around and figuring out how to target and use autopilot)

Dice

In-game seems fine, that is just a weird glitch in the menu screen. Still kind of annoying.

I'm turning off the hideous jaggy DX9 shadows.

Truespeed

graywolf323 said:
looks like the Railworks Complete DLC Pack is back

for all you train addicts

I was going to buy the Art of Computer Programming V1-4A Hardcover for $160 and now I really need to reconsider it.

Soule

So I'm just coming back to steam after a bit of a hiatus and it's gone all buggy on me. Continuously crashes, won't install games, won't resume downloads, won't launch games (funnily enough I managed to buy games though, yay King Arthur). I've reinstalled multiple times having saved across my steamapps folder, tried steam both with and without replacing the steamapps folder with my old one and still no dice, it just freezes up or stops responding and then windows asks me if I want to close it or wait (waiting does nothing, tried it)....

Man I just wanna play Recettear... Left it on the final stage of installing where it says it's creating local cache files or whatever for 4 hours last night, kinda over it. 177 games and I can't play any of them. Frustrating, hope the steam support guys get back to me soon

Minsc

Gold Member
Aaron said:
The original campaign was clear the area and then fight the boss, while being unable to save until you've cleared the entire (too long) stage. Every area I played was set up this exact same way, and it was just boring. Chaos Rising is more dynamic with various objectives and situations, plus you can save anywhere. I think it's easily better.

Oh there's no doubt it is vastly better. In every way. I'd still suggest playing DoW 2 because the characters were enjoyable for me even if the missions weren't... I looked forward to the time between missions where they talk amongst themselves. Leveling up and loot distribution was enjoyable as well, but all that's even better in CR.

I didn't enjoy not being able to save in DoW 2 either, especially when missions could stretch past 45 minutes, however I did appreciate the tension it adds to some missions, since you can't replay them if you lose. Also the difficulty on the defend the base missions could be downright brutal if you don't have a proper strategy/build. I think I played on hard though, so that may have hurt my experience somewhat.

Blizzard

Banned
Soule said:
So I'm just coming back to steam after a bit of a hiatus and it's gone all buggy on me. Continuously crashes, won't install games, won't resume downloads, won't launch games (funnily enough I managed to buy games though, yay King Arthur). I've reinstalled multiple times having saved across my steamapps folder, tried steam both with and without replacing the steamapps folder with my old one and still no dice, it just freezes up or stops responding and then windows asks me if I want to close it or wait (waiting does nothing, tried it)....

Man I just wanna play Recettear... Left it on the final stage of installing where it says it's creating local cache files or whatever for 4 hours last night, kinda over it. 177 games and I can't play any of them. Frustrating, hope the steam support guys get back to me soon
If you can't install and run Steam on a completely clean directory (no clientregistry.blob, no steamapps folder), then it sounds like something may be severely wrong with your computer. You may want to try some spybot search & destroy and/or antivirus scans, or maybe scandisk to make sure your hard disk isn't dying.

Narag

Finally started CR after finishing a Primarch run on DoW II. Christ, this was punishing at first.

Once I got a bit of upgraded loot, back to rolling through but man, the campaigns play so differently. From slow & methodical to utter ... chaos.

That said, first campaign is still worth a playthrough. If one has issues, just sub Cyrus in for the easy run.

Dice

Okay so I guess that blacked out sections ARE going to show up in game at some point, and that it is apparently a glitch related to the morphological AA. The problem with that is I had that on with the 10.10e hotfix, but then my drivers updated and the little checkbox is gone now. So what do I do? My card is a 5850.

Edit: Trying 11.1a hotfix.

Minsc

Gold Member
Dice said:
Okay so I guess that blacked out sections ARE going to show up in game at some point, and that it is apparently a glitch related to the morphological AA. The problem with that is I had that on with the 10.10e hotfix, but then my drivers updated and the little checkbox is gone now. So what do I do? My card is a 5850.

Can't you just not use MLAA? I played through them both fine on my 5870 without it.

Dice

The check box is not there. I'm guessing it is left on from when I had it on in 10.10e and now there is no box to uncheck.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Dice said:

Edit: Trying 11.1a hotfix.

I'd turf your old drivers completely with Driver Sweeper and then install the newest ones clean.

vocab

Dice said:
The check box is not there. I'm guessing it is left on from when I had it on in 10.10e and now there is no box to uncheck.

Wait till 11.2 when its officially supported on that card.

Mrbob

Aaron said:

Didn't think the missions were that long. Of course I played the campaign in co op so maybe it is different controlling 4 units at once versus 2. I guess we were that damn good at clearing maps. :D

Dice

Sinatar said:
I'd turf your old drivers completely with Driver Sweeper and then install the newest ones clean.
The hotfix added the checkbox but the dude is still half blacked out. Trying this driver sweep now.

Soule

Blizzard said:
If you can't install and run Steam on a completely clean directory (no clientregistry.blob, no steamapps folder), then it sounds like something may be severely wrong with your computer. You may want to try some spybot search & destroy and/or antivirus scans, or maybe scandisk to make sure your hard disk isn't dying.
Thanks, just doing that now. I reinstalled steam. again. This time I tried to install Black Ops and it's downloading* super smooth. I'm starting to think maybe it's recettear? And yet it moves installed straight away, black ops is downloading the fastest I've ever seen it download, it's only frozen when the installer for Recettear wouldn't complete and I tried to abandon it, I'm gonna let Black Ops download and then try launching that see how I go from there.

Dice

Okay that worked, but for different reasons than expected.

I guess the real issue was that it was set to Adaptive MSAA. For some reason even though I said "Use game settings" that still made it bug out, and it is also what was making the shadows look like shit. The other two settings work fine, and I have it set to SSAA now and everything is pretty with no black areas.

LegoDad

Metro 2033 is on sale via THQ for only $10.. Question I have is will the key work on steam. It's steamworks, but as being new to steam, still don't know if it will work or not.

Diebuster

caliblue15 said:
Metro 2033 is on sale via THQ for only $10.. Question I have is will the key work on steam. It's steamworks, but as being new to steam, still don't know if it will work or not.

It'll work. Steamworks games only use Steam, no matter where they're bought.

I picked up Metro 2033 during the last THQ sale, and put the key into Steam without a problem.

LegoDad

Diebuster said:
It'll work. Steamworks games only use Steam, no matter where they're bought.

I picked up Metro 2033 during the last THQ sale, and put the key into Steam without a problem.

Thought it would, just wanted to make sure before buying it, that way I have unlimited downloads of the game and it works with steam easily.

Thanks

Haven't seen any thoughts on King Arthur - The Role-playing Wargame... Looks decent enough for $2.50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom