• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carm

legend166 said:
Don't use the Steam backup utility. It's terrible.

Just copy the steam apps folder somewhere. and then you can copy it back. When you launch a game it will do a quick check and you'll be ready to go.

Uhh the backup utility works perfectly fine, I have over 400 gigs of backups, every single one of them work when tested. I've never had it crash, it's slow because it's compressing the shit out of the files. But the slow means under 10 minutes for 10+ gigs of compression.

For example, my Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition is only 13 gigs, compared to the initial download size, 23gigs.

So I can't even play games such as Dirt 2 that have GFWL without installing GFWL?

If so that is an epic fail because I refuse to install any GFWL components.

Game won't launch without it it seems?

Anyone care to explain it to me?

edit: Can't even fucking save my game without logging into Live?
Wow, just wow.

coopolon said:
The biggest problem I've had with it is that when trying to restore games I backed up using the Steam backup utility, Steam just downloads the games instead rendering the backup useless.

Ya, and it seems completely random. Some games back up and restore fine, while others try to download like the backup didn't even exist.

Sanic

The one time I used the Steam Backup utility to restore ~40 games was a pretty poor experience. It just flat out didn't work like it was supposed to, and locked up/crashed often.

scorpscarx said:
So I can't even play games such as Dirt 2 that have GFWL without installing GFWL?

If so that is an epic fail because I refuse to install any GFWL components.

Game won't launch without it it seems?

Anyone care to explain it to me?

edit: Can't even fucking save my game without logging into Live?
Wow, just wow.

Kind of like how you can't save or play your game without logging into Steam.

Anyway, you can make an offline profile in like 5 seconds and you never have to login to live ever again, unless you want to play online. And you shouldn't have to install the client, that's just for downloading and installing your game, but since you have it on Steam, you shouldn't have to install shit. GFWL is just an in-game overlay.

LocoMrPollock said:
Kind of like how you can't save or play your game without logging into Steam.

Anyway, you can make an offline profile in like 5 seconds and you never have to login to live ever again, unless you want to play online. And you shouldn't have to install the client, that's just for downloading and installing your game, but since you have it on Steam, you shouldn't have to install shit. GFWL is just an in-game overlay.

Thanks, I've been in the dark on GFWL. I'll probably get the game to run (my steam version) by another method, however.

Hanzou

DarkSoul520 said:
Ya, and it seems completely random. Some games back up and restore fine, while others try to download like the backup didn't even exist.

Actually I have had to back up my STEAM folder 3 times now so far. The first two times I used the backup utility and it worked great although I only had maybe 8 games or so. The last time I just copied over the steam folder and almost all of the games broke. For pretty much every game I had to download some or all of the game again. I am really not sure what happened.

Anyone have any experience with Dinner Date? It seems like it could be really cool especially since it reminds me of this other indie game from a few years back I really liked where you would talk and have long conversations with this couple in an apartment (if you could help me remember that too would be helpful). It seems like it could be a fun toy overall.

SteveWinwood said:
Anyone have any experience with Dinner Date? It seems like it could be really cool especially since it reminds me of this other indie game from a few years back I really liked where you would talk and have long conversations with this couple in an apartment (if you could help me remember that too that would be helpful). It seems like it could be a fun toy overall.
Facade: http://www.interactivestory.net/

From what I understand Dinner Date is more of a short story that you experience rather than something as interactive as Facade. Dinner Date seemed more experimental too.

If you're into that kind of thing it's probably worth checking out.

Buttonbasher said:
Facade: http://www.interactivestory.net/

From what I understand Dinner Date is more of a short story that you experience rather than something as interactive as Facade. Dinner Date seemed more experimental too.

If you're into that kind of thing it's probably worth checking out.
Oh god yes. I'm downloading this right now again. I played this like a hundred times and still found fun stuff.

Hmmm. I might give Dinner Date a try. For five dollars its hard not to. But not as interactive though? Thats sorta disappointing.

Zimbardo

LastWindow said:
Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with it? I'm going to backup all of my games soon and was going to use the utility.

i use Steam's backup utility to backup my games to blank DVDs. saves a lot of time and trouble having to download a game again ...and i like having a physical copy.

anyway, there's nothing wrong with their backup util. it works fantastic. never had an issue with it.

Mr_Zombie

SteveWinwood said:
Oh god yes. I'm downloading this right now again. I played this like a hundred times and still found fun stuff.

I remember saying "Fuck you" the moment the guy opened door for me; he looked at me with angry face and just slammed the door shut right before my face :D. I love that game.

I'm on a Mac using bootcamp, and I download Portal on the Windows side. Can I copy this over to the OSX side instead of downloading the 5gb file again from Steam? Cheers.

Jimrpg

elrechazao said:
absolutely false, and I wish people would stop repeating this. Every game is subject to its own rules based on who the developer is and the owner of the IP, not the fact that you paid for it on steam. If steam went down, you would have as many different results with the games you own as there are studios and IP owners that own them at that time.

well look at it this way - we buy the game to help the developer out... because we like their product... we want them to continue making the product or new products.... ultimately thats why i hand over $50 to the developer...

now if steam went down.... i think its reasonable to say that you can go and download the game.... i mean why should the developer get to double dip just because steam went down....

its $50 in a store or $50 online.... i dont see the difference...

Cipherr

Theres probably no chance trackmania finds its way into this week right? With only one entry? I was going to wait for part2 but I would have to bite if the current one went on sale.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Cipherr said:
Theres probably no chance trackmania finds its way into this week right? With only one entry? I was going to wait for part2 but I would have to bite if the current one went on sale.

It might pop up as one of the general daily deals.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
What other Ubi games can we expect to see on sale? I guess there will probably be another Splinter Cell sale and maybe Far Cry and Rainbow Six Vegas.

All I can think of that I actually want is AC:Bro (dammit).

JaseC

Snuggler said:
What other Ubi games can we expect to see on sale? I guess there will probably be another Splinter Cell sale and maybe Far Cry and Rainbow Six Vegas.

All I can think of that I actually want is AC:Bro (dammit).

AC:Bro isn't affected by the Ubi-wide 33% discount as it's going to be part of the AC pack on the final day. Believe!
:(

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
JaseC said:
AC:Bro isn't affected by the Ubi-wide 33% discount as it's going to be part of the AC pack on the final day. Believe!
:(

I will hold you personally accountable if this doesn't happen.

Oh well, I was planning on buying it either way when I'm done with Witcher 2.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The Broken Ska Record said:
Is there any word on when Beat Hazard Ultra is going to be out? I finally got around to re-installing it on my new computer, and I'm having such a blast with it.
Beat Hazard Ultra blasts on to Steam June 27th
May 23rd, 2011 at 11:28 am -

Beat Hazard Ultra is the awesome DLC add on to the music powered game Beat Hazard coming to Steam June 27th. Experience your music collection like never before with this intense music driven arcade shooter. Each of your songs will have its own unique ebb and flow based on the music.

Power up your spaceship and watch as the music boosts your firepower. Unleash hell on the enemy ships when you max out with weapon pickups!

Beat Hazard seamlessly mixes the love of gaming and music. Together they become greater than the sum of their parts.

Ultra takes the game to a new level -

* Online Co-op & Head to Head play
* New power-ups & weapons
* New enemies
* New bosses
* New game modes
* New perk and upgrade system

Mac and PS3 versions coming later in the year.

http://www.pcgamersworld.com/2011/05/beat-hazard-ultra-blasts-on-to-steam-june-27th/

Looks like the end of June.

JaseC

Snuggler said:
I will hold you personally accountable if this doesn't happen.

neogafavatar.jpg

Did I miss the Cities XL deal?? :(

If I liked Prince of Persia games I'd be pretty happy with these deals that have just popped with with the Ubisoft games, but still... good to know there will be other Ubisoft games on sale!

I've probably got most of them though, but even still good news :)

JaseC

Snuggler said:
just started watching Twin Peaks for the first time last night, good stuff

Enjoy the ride, and don't let the temporary lull in season two put you off.

ColonialRaptor said:
Did I miss the Cities XL deal?? :(

Yeah, it was a daily deal.

Sullen said:
I'm finally picking up Far Cry 2 as well. 13 dollars isn't bad.

I'm hoping there's pack as part of Ubi week and the two games go for $15 or so. Wouldn't mind giving Far Cry 2 another play-through on the PC.

benjipwns

Banned
I think the two Far Cry games have been cheaper than $15 combined in the past. I got 2 (Fortune Pack) for $10 almost two years ago from a sale. I'm sure I've seen it for $5-7 at least once in the last year.

Dicking around with the map editor alone was probably worth it.

Carm

Cipherr said:

I've been waiting for it to hit $20 for a long time. At this point, with it being a three year old game, I think I'm just gonna wait till it hits $15, enough other games to plough through at the moment.

JaseC

Carm said:
I've been waiting for it to hit $20 for a long time. At this point, with it being a three year old game, I think I'm just gonna wait till it hits $15, enough other games to plough through at the moment.

Has it ever been discounted before, or it one of those games that sits there forever without moving a dollar?

Daigoro said:
the "lull" is so brief its hardly worth mentioning. just let people watch and enjoy.

For most it isn't, which is why I mentioned it. Personally, I didn't mind it all that much.

Orellio said:
Respectfully disagree. Season 2 killed it for me fast. Never finished the show :\

You really should.

I've been looking everywhere for the answer, so I'm gonna assume that the Epilogue DLC for PoP 2008 never came out on PC? I did buy the game on 360, but my system's disk drive doesn't work anymore so I can't play it. I want to play the epilogue though.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Oh, there is a scammer in the Steam Brink group called Admin, with a Steam Logo as his avatar. I would just block communications from him now if you are in the group.

benjipwns

Banned
SonofdonCD said:
I've been looking everywhere for the answer, so I'm gonna assume that the Epilogue DLC for PoP 2008 never came out on PC? I did buy the game on 360, but my system's disk drive doesn't work anymore so I can't play it. I want to play the epilogue though.
It did not.

There are a good number of people who feel the game ends better without it however.

Plasma

Banned
Drkirby said:
Oh, there is a scammer in the Steam Brink group called Admin, with a Steam Logo as his avatar. I would just block communications from him now if you are in the group.

Done and also reported him.

Ledsen

blame space said:
just got far cry 2 and an add-on for dirt cheap.. i can't get my new video card soon enough.

Sullen said:

Enjoy one of the best and most atmospheric FPS games ever made, guys. You have one hell of a ride in front of you.

coopolon

Sullen said:

I fully endorse buying Far Cry 2, but it will probably go on sale for more on one of these days so unless you really want to play it now I'd wait until the Far Cry day.

Sanjay

Twig said:
HOW DARE YOU PEOPLE TALK ABOUT TWIN PEAKS IN THE STEAM THREAD

STAY ON TOPIC

Speaking of which I got to episode 19 of season 2 and stopped there. This was like 5 years ago and to this day I still don't know why I stopped. A real mystery to me.

ZZMitch

This probably isnt the right place, but I just want to comment on how amazing Half Life 2 is.

I have been slowly playing through the Half Life series for the first time for a few months now (built my gaming PC late last year), while playing games inbetween, getting addicted to Blops and Terraria etc. And no game (except maybe a few tense moments in Minecraft and Crysis) has consistantly kept me fully focused on game. You know that tense, nervous feeling you get, where you cant wait to see what is next but at the same time dread what you will find? That is the feeling I get with Half Life 2. The shooting feels so good and levels are designed great. It also doesnt look that bad to boot, good lighting saves it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom