• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
ZZMitch said:
This probably isnt the right place, but I just want to comment on how amazing Half Life 2 is.

I have been slowly playing through the Half Life series for the first time for a few months now (built my gaming PC late last year), while playing games inbetween, getting addicted to Blops and Terraria etc. And no game (except maybe a few tense moments in Minecraft and Crysis) has consistantly kept me fully focused on game. You know that tense, nervous feeling you get, where you cant wait to see what is next but at the same time dread what you will find? That is the feeling I get with Half Life 2. The shooting feels so good and levels are designed great. It also doesnt look that bad to boot, good lighting saves it.

You didn't skip the original Half-Life, did you?

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
ZZMitch said:
This probably isnt the right place, but I just want to comment on how amazing Half Life 2 is.

I have been slowly playing through the Half Life series for the first time for a few months now (built my gaming PC late last year), while playing games inbetween, getting addicted to Blops and Terraria etc. And no game (except maybe a few tense moments in Minecraft and Crysis) has consistantly kept me fully focused on game. You know that tense, nervous feeling you get, where you cant wait to see what is next but at the same time dread what you will find? That is the feeling I get with Half Life 2. The shooting feels so good and levels are designed great. It also doesnt look that bad to boot, good lighting saves it.
I've actually been playing through Episode 2 for the first time, it's pretty fucking good. Eps 1 and 2 are starting to blend together for me, but it's been a really fun ride all the way thru ([not a spoiler]except the snooze-fest Ant-Lion lair). I'm near the end and I kind of don't want to blast through it anymore. Please don't end. :(

JaseC

Wellington said:
I've actually been playing through Episode 2 for the first time, it's pretty fucking good. Eps 1 and 2 are starting to blend together for me, but it's been a really fun ride all the way thru ([not a spoiler]except the snooze-fest Ant-Lion lair). I'm near the end and I kind of don't want to blast through it anymore. Please don't end. :(

You should save just before the end, and only finish the game when Episode Three is around the corner.

benjipwns

Banned
Wellington said:
PoP 2008 worth a buy? I was reading some reviews and I admit to being put off by the ones that said it was repetitive and easy.
Some love it, others despise it with a passion. It's hard to say without knowing what you want.

ZZMitch

JaseC said:
You didn't skip the original Half-Life, did you?
No, I played a beat Half Life, as well as Blue Shift and the other one (cant remember the name). They were really good too, but not as great as Half Life 2 has been imo. 10 years ago or whatever, however, my mind would have been completely blown.

JaseC

ZZMitch said:
No, I played a beat Half Life, as well as Blue Shift and the other one (cant remember the name). They were really good too, but not as great as Half Life 2 has been imo. 10 years ago or whatever, however, my mind would have been completely blown.

Ah, okay. Blue Shift is the only Half-Life entry I haven't finished. It's just so... shit. (The other expansion pack is Opposing Force, by the way.)

Ledsen

Wellington said:
PoP 2008 worth a buy? I was reading some reviews and I admit to being put off by the ones that said it was repetitive and easy.

It is. What you see after 5 minutes is what you'll see the entire game. No new mechanics, no new weapons, nothing. And yeah, super easy.

ZZMitch

JaseC said:
Ah, okay. Blue Shift is the only Half-Life entry I haven't finished. It's just so... shit. (The other expansion pack is Opposing Force, by the way.)
Blue Shift wasnt bad, but Opposing Force (thanks) was much better if I remember correctly. It was cool playing as an enemy soldier, even if you were alone in the end and werent after science team. Neither hold a candle to the full game though.

Salsa

Im kinda with Foliorum Viridum actually.

I bought Bad Company 2 again just to have it on Steam for example, already owned another digital copy from another site.

Adding a non-steam shorcut isnt the same. You dont get the same benefits and they keep erasing them. Dont get me wrong, if there's an old game im dying to get (only one i can think of that i would replay would be Grim Fandango, and i already own a physical copy) id get it somewhere else, but id keep thinking "shit, why isnt this on Steam". Its addictive as fuck, and i dont consider it fanboy-ish since they just provide the service that better fits my liking, i dont have any hate for other services or anything, its just that the ease of use of Steam makes me want to have all my games in the same place. 222 games and counting and im with Steam for good.

JaseC

ZZMitch said:
Blue Shift wasnt bad, but Opposing Force (thanks) was much better if I remember correctly. It was cool playing as an enemy soldier, even if you were alone in the end and werent after science team. Neither hold a candle to the full game though.

Blue Shift has always felt like a poorly-designed community level pack than an actual expansion pack to me. Opposing Force, on the other hand, is objectively awesome.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The high points in Op For were just as good as HL1. It was a damn shame Gearbox lost their touch with Blue Shift (though I still enjoy that).

I mean I haven't had an adrenaline rush like that sewer segment in years. Fucking incredible.

Carm

JaseC said:
Has it ever been discounted before, or it one of those games that sits there forever without moving a dollar?

For most it isn't, which is why I mentioned it. Personally, I didn't mind it all that much.

You really should.

It's been discounted before, just not at $20 or lower as far as I know.

Relax.MX

StuBurns said:
I just finished HL1 for the first time ever like a week ago. HL2 was much better.

With all respect ... You need to have played in his time to being able to evaluate objectively

NEVER will be the same...

StuBurns

Banned
Relax.MX said:
With all respect ... You need to have played in his time to being able to evaluate objectively
I played it before, just never finished it. And I disagree. I think you can objectively evaluate the game design at any time. I'm not saying it wasn't better amongst it's peers at the time, I'm saying it's not better.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Relax.MX said:
I played HL1 shortly before HL2's release (summer 04) and I still like it better than HL2. I just love the story setup of the original and it appeals to me in the same way that Super 8 is doing so this year.

Also, Surface Tension is still the best level in the series bar none.

Think of Blue Shift as more of a DLC mission rather than a full on expansion pack. I do, and it lets me appreciate the game more.

Opposing Force was the only true full expansion HL got, and it was amazing.

And for reference, I like HL better than HL2. I think the Combine are probably the most generic enemies Valve has ever made. Which is a shame because Valve are some of the best character designers in the business.
I miss the tension between the soldiers, plus the wildlife, plus you, that the first game had. Remember using frag grenades from dead soldiers to distract a giant alien tentacle? Or stumpling into a random encounter between grunts and aliens and trying to sneak around the fight as the two parties battle without noticing you. In HL2, it's just not the same. Nature isn't against you, when alien animals played such a huge part of HL.

Relax.MX

StuBurns said:
I played it before, just never finished it. And I disagree. I think you can objectively evaluate the game design at any time. I'm not saying it wasn't better amongst it's peers at the time, I'm saying it's not better.

There are other variables to be considered: the element of surprise, the innovation that represented at the time, etc. I respect your opinion but for me it is impossible to judge a game which came out for more than 10 years ago with the same objectivity. And less compared with his sequel.

There are 6 years between 1 and 2

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
StuBurns said:
You are discounting the revolutionary shift it brought to the genre which is kind of unfair.

StuBurns

Banned
Stallion Free said:
You are discounting the revolutionary shift it brought to the genre which is kind of unfair.
No I'm not. I'm not saying HL2 was better in 2004 than HL1 was in 1998. I'm saying HL2 is better than HL1 today, and in fact, way better.

This reminds me of the time last year when I was suppose to play through all the Half-Life games for work (it's a long story on why).

My god, that was an awesome 2 weeks of work. Back to back, I played them, and beat them, in order. I had already beaten most of them, but playing on a 55" TV, in full HD on absolute max settings was glorious and an experience I can only dream to recreate.

And the games were still awesome even being so old, and all still looked great. The characters and textures of HL were a little dated, but the level design and puzzles are still cutting edge and top notch.

StuBurns

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Your wording makes it sound like it's a fact.
You know very well it's an opinion, I'm not going to put IMO before or after every post I make to appease you, don't like it add me to your ignore list.

1-D_FTW

StuBurns said:
No I'm not. I'm not saying HL2 was better in 2004 than HL1 was in 1998. I'm saying HL2 is better than HL1 today, and in fact, way better.

Graphically.

I played HL1 about a year before HL2 released, so it wasn't exactly day one. There are a number of things HL1 did better. Some significantly. HL2 is much more user friendly (which can be a good or bad thing depending on your viewpoint).

The other thing I don't think can ever be discounted is just how revolutionary the game was. Go look at the way shooters were back in those days. HL fundamentally altered the genre.

Am I a big enough graphics whore that I'd rather play HL2 over HL1 today? Yes. But my reasons are purely superficial. I'd say HL1 is the better game.

balladofwindfishes said:
This reminds me of the time last year when I was suppose to play through all the Half-Life games for work (it's a long story on why).

My god, that was an awesome 2 weeks of work. Back to back, I played them, and beat them, in order. I had already beaten most of them, but playing on a 55" TV, in full HD on absolute max settings was glorious and an experience I can only dream to recreate.

And the games were still awesome even being so old, and all still looked great. The characters and textures of HL were a little dated, but the level design and puzzles are still cutting edge and top notch.

For work?

You magnificent bastard!

Sanjay

Stallion Free said:
I played HL1 shortly before HL2's release (summer 04) and I still like it better than HL2. I just love the story setup of the original and it appeals to me in the same way that Super 8 is doing so this year.

Also, Surface Tension is still the best level in the series bar none.

HL 1 is a masterpiece in level design something HL2 was lacking but not really it's fault. Really looking forward to seeing what they do with Borealis or where ever the location is, hope its like a Black Mesa type scenario.

StuBurns said:
I'm saying HL2 is better than HL1 today, and in fact, way better.

Wrong, time is irrelevant with a classic like HL1. Curious though, form 10 years from now, what would you say is better HL1 or HL2.

StuBurns

Banned
Sanjay said:
Wrong, time is irrelevant with a classic like HL1. Curious though, form 10 years from now, what would you say is better HL1 or HL2.
HL2 will still be the better game in ten years. Crysis 1 will still be better than Crysis 2 too. It doesn't matter when they came out. Portal 1 will still be better than Portal 2 too.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
StuBurns said:
HL2 will still be the better game in ten years. Crysis 1 will still be better than Crysis 2 too. It doesn't matter when they came out. Portal 1 will still be better than Portal 2 too.
HL2 wasn't as revolutionary as it's predecessor, but you like it better.
C2 wasn't as revolutionary as it's predecessor, so you prefer the predecessor.
P2 wasn't as revolutionary as it's predecessor, so you prefer the predecessor.

Do I have that right?

StuBurns

Banned
Stallion Free said:
HL2 wasn't as revolutionary as it's predecessor, but you like it better.
C2 wasn't as revolutionary as it's predecessor, so you prefer the predecessor.
P2 wasn't as revolutionary as it's predecessor, so you prefer the predecessor.

Do I have that right?
No.
HL2 is a better game than HL1, so I like it better.
Crysis 1 is a better game than Crysis 2, so I like it better.
Portal 1 is a better game than Portal 2, so I like it better.

StuBurns

Banned
wind_steaker said:
are we really describing Crysis as revolutionary now?
I wasn't, just using it as an example of an earlier release in a series being better. Trying to counter the implication that time is the reason I prefer HL2, which isn't true.

Sanjay said:
My letter of notice of StuBurns wrong opinion of the above statement is in the mail.
Address it to Xen, so I never have to go and pick it up.

jiien

StuBurns, it would help if you defended your opinion. You knew people were going to get jumpy as soon as you made your opinion known...

Though I seriously don't see why we should get all uppity about his opinion. If he likes HL2 over HL1, what's wrong with that? Opinions don't always have to follow patterns or rules.

Baha

caliblue15 said:
Necrovision: Lost Company for PC is free today on Green Man Gaming using promo code: GMGY1-PROMO-TREAT

Sorry for the off-topic but I'm getting warnings from nod32 whenI launch Capsule to download Necrovision, it's giving me "potential threat found" from object: ...://wizzywizyweb.gmgcdn.com/media/capsulezips/EF5B19D5134BF4D19.. and threat: a variant of Win32/Packed.Themida potentially unwanted application. Is this a false positive or should I be concerned?

StuBurns

Banned
jiien said:
StuBurns, it would help if you defended your opinion. You knew people were going to get jumpy as soon as you made your opinion known...

Though I seriously don't see why we should get all uppity about his opinion. If he likes HL2 over HL1, what's wrong with that? Opinions don't always have to follow patterns or rules.
I didn't think people would get jumpy, and I don't think they have, they're politely disagreeing and joking which is cool, maybe Stallion Free aside, but he is with pretty 'jumpy' every post I ever read of his, so I don't think that's me.

In terms of reasons, I think HL2 is way better, I could list the reasons but peoples enjoyment of them is subjective. Saying I think the Xen levels are embarrassing artistically and convoluted in level design are things people can just reply to with "no they're not", seems redundant.

StuBurns said:
I wasn't, just using it as an example of an earlier release in a series being better.
Yeah I wasn't really referring to what you said, I know a lot of people that prefer HL2, it is not that ridiculous, in fact I'd probably agree. I enjoy the characterisation and atmosphere 2 brought to the series as a whole.

Being revolutionary has nothing to do with being good, someone is likely to come along and improve on the concept.

hamchan

StuBurns said:
You know very well it's an opinion, I'm not going to put IMO before or after every post I make to appease you, don't like it add me to your ignore list.
Then don't put the word fact in your sentence man!!!

StuBurns

Banned
hamchan said:
Then don't put the word fact in your sentence man!!!
Quite, that was poorly written, it meant 'in fact' I think it's way better, not just a little, but I should have phrased it better.

This has become somewhat of a derail, which wasn't my intention, so I'd prefer it if people move on. People disagree, that's cool, it's too big of a thing to really detail within a thread like this, and I don't really care to.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
caliblue15 said:
Necrovision: Lost Company for PC is free today on Green Man Gaming using promo code: GMGY1-PROMO-TREAT
Any way I can get the Serial NUmber out of this horrible Capsule application and register it on Steam?

Baha

drizzle said:
Then why are we discussing it in the Steam thread, when there's a Digital Distribution Deals thread?

Eh, caliblue15 said it was free and I'm not adverse to free games. I did preface my earlier post about the nod32 warning with an apology for going off topic.

nexen

elrechazao said:
absolutely false, and I wish people would stop repeating this. Every game is subject to its own rules based on who the developer is and the owner of the IP, not the fact that you paid for it on steam. If steam went down, you would have as many different results with the games you own as there are studios and IP owners that own them at that time.
I disagree with this. If Valve went down you would have exactly one result across all IP owners: no more Steam games for you.
If you plan on cracking these things to keep playing them then you better make sure you have all your content downloaded and installed as well. Remember when GoG pulled their last big publicity stunt and went down for a few days? There was weeping and gnashing of teeth over that and they have no DRM.
I'm a steam junkie but I know full well that my entire library has a self-destruct button attached to it controlled by forces unknown :(

Salsa

there is no way in hell we'll just be left with our hands empty

you guys act like you didnt know Valve

I know its up to each publisher, but there's no way they would fuck up their fanbase like that. Anyone who gets robbed of his steam games aint buying another game from that publisher, guaranteed.

It doesnt bother me though since Steam is never going down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom