• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Detox said:
So they don't allow Gemini Rue on steam but allow Angry Birds, great.

I don't think they've allowed it yet, but there are plenty of shit games on the service as it is, one more isn't gonna tip the balance.

crimsonheadGCN said:

Good game. Well worth my hard earned Washington.

Anyone see this:

Buy Ubisoft WWII Collection-
Includes 9 items: Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30™, Silent Hunter®: Wolves of the Pacific, Silent Hunter® III, Blazing Angels® Squadrons of WWII, Blazing Angels® 2: Secret Missions of WWII, Silent Hunter®: Wolves of the Pacific U-Boat Missions, IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946, Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway™, Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood™

Not a bad deal for $34, wonder if it will get any cheaper, though?

Ionic

Princess Skittles said:
Hmm, will Angry Birds be the first 99¢ Steam games?

I know there are quite a few cheap iPhone games with much more expensive Steam versions. Flight Control is $.99 on iPhone but 5 dollars on PC for example. I wouldn't necessarily be shocked if Angry Birds was five dollars too.

Edit: But no game will match the value of PB Winterbottom for $.50 during the Holiday sale.

epmode

nexen said:
Why is Gemini Rue not allowed on Steam? It is fantastic...
Played it, finished it and it really is a good game. I don't get it.

I suppose it's the whole low-res Sierra style blocky graphics. I think it looks really stylish. Better looking than the Ben There Dan That games at any rate.

Sanic

Any reason categories would disappear? I tried to make a a category for non-steam games and threw Minecraft in there, but the category keeps disappearing.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Bought The Forgotten Sands.

Game wants me to login (presumably to uPlay?) to play the game. Says my username is taken so I can't register, but none of the passwords I've ever used works with the username.

The only email address I've used that works with the forgot password form is my old university email, and the username associated with that is apparently ubisoft_stinks which I guess means I wasn't very happy with them when I was forced to register for the last bullshit I played by them.

When I sign into that account, it has no past uPlay history, which means it's evidently not the account I used with them before.

Is it possible to reset password by username rather than by email address, or alternatively look up the account information associated with the uPlay account I use on my 360? If not I guess I'll use that ubisoft_stinks account and just not use uPlay. *shakes head*

Detox

I have no idea why Gemini Rue is not available, I don't think the dev gave a reason or maybe Valve didn't give a reason why it was rejected. I mean it fulfils all of the criteria listed here.

TheExodu5

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Bought The Forgotten Sands.

Game wants me to login (presumably to uPlay?) to play the game. Says my username is taken so I can't register, but none of the passwords I've ever used works with the username.

The only email address I've used that works with the forgot password form is my old university email, and the username associated with that is apparently ubisoft_stinks which I guess means I wasn't very happy with them when I was forced to register for the last bullshit I played by them.

When I sign into that account, it has no past uPlay history, which means it's evidently not the account I used with them before.

Is it possible to reset password by username rather than by email address, or alternatively look up the account information associated with the uPlay account I use on my 360? If not I guess I'll use that ubisoft_stinks account and just not use uPlay. *shakes head*

I had this issue as well...can't remember how, but I did end up getting my password back somehow.

I think I remember being confused with whether to log in with my username or email address.

Sysgen

Bought the POP pack even though my backlog is from here back to creation. Anyway weird Steam bug with categories disappearing that was corrected by a filter change and a Steam restart.

Oreoleo

Ionic said:
I know there are quite a few cheap iPhone games with much more expensive Steam versions. Flight Control is $.99 on iPhone but 5 dollars on PC for example. I wouldn't necessarily be shocked if Angry Birds was five dollars too.

Edit: But no game will match the value of PB Winterbottom for $.50 during the Holiday sale.

The iPad version of Angry Birds is 2 or 3 or 5 dollars anyway. I'd be really surprised if it shows up on Steam for a buck.

Stallion Free said:
Can't wait for Angry Birds. Best game in years.

Not sure if serious..

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Launched game. 360 controller worked. Went into options menu. Backed out to main menu; suddenly the 360 controller, mouse, and keyboard all didn't work. Tried alt-tabbing out and back, black screen.

Task manager, killed process, re-launch, won't relaunch because "process was unavailable".

Relaunching again. Took about 30 seconds for the Ubisoft launcher to "check for updates".

Controller, mouse, and keyboard all do nothing. Desyncing controller and trying again.

Edit: Stuff worked this time, but stopped working when I closed the Steam CD Key message, so looks like it might be a problem with the Steam overlay?

Stumpokapow said:
Edit: Stuff worked this time, but stopped working when I closed the Steam CD Key message, so looks like it might be a problem with the Steam overlay?
I sometimes get the bolded with The Witcher EE on Steam. Whenever I closed the CD Key prompt, my pointer would stop showing.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I enjoyed the hell out of the actual game part of POP Forgotten Sands. It looks quite stunning on PC at 1080p/60 fps and the platforming (which is the dominant part of the game) is quite good.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Hmmm.. it seems any form of AA in Mini Ninjas turns everything into a weird shadow world. I seriously might just break down and go nVidia for my next graphics card. Of course, if brands continue their form factor trends, those will be the only ones that fit in my case anyway.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Disabling the overlay fixed the controller problem. Game looks crisp and runs at something approximating 60fps on "High" settings (you can only choose low/medium/high) on my modest old rig with AA.

Definitely not alt-tab friendly though.

nexen

Seriously, Gemini Rue is delicious, delicious candy for anyone who grew up on Sierra/Lucasarts p&c adventures. There are dozens and dozens of games on steam at this very minute that have far lower production values. The idea that it is somehow not good enough for Steam is laughable.
Something really does not compute here.

Salsa

I wonder if they'll let me bite on the Assassins Creed series with a good enough price.

Its pretty much the only game i openly despise here on GAF, having only tried the first one, hating it, and then continuing to see how Ubisoft milks the franchise to death.

Unlike most "haters", im open to give it another opportunity, so we'll see.

DisenLedZep said:
Ok, here's my guess:

M: Prince Of Persia Series
T: HAWX Series (They could add the Blazing Angel Series too)
W: Splinter Cell Series
T: Ghost Recon Series or Rainbow Six Series (Maybe they do a whole day or split them into two)
F: Might And Magic Series
S: Assassin's Creed Series
S: Settler's Series

This seems pretty spot on, but I would probably put all the Tom Clancy games under one day and make room for a Far Cry day.

I'm honestly hoping for a Misc. day that might have Beyond Good and Evil on sale, as well as Trackmania.

Joe Molotov

jaundicejuice said:
By series you mean the second Assassin's Creed? Because Brotherhood is excluded from this sale, along with Il2-Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover.

It's not part of the 33% off weeklong sale, but there's still a chance it might be a Daily Deal (probably at 25% off).

Picked up Prince of Persia (2008), Mini Ninjas, and Assassin's Creed. Probably a waste on Assassin's Creed since I already own it on 360 and PS3 but I never finished the game and own the rest of the series on PC...

Scoops

Banned
Hoping for cheaper prices on Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and Splinter Cell Conviction. Also may pick up PoP 2008 by the end of the day.

Mairu

People really buying Assassin's Creed now? I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up cheaper on one of the daily sales. Hopefully Brotherhood will be a part of that, since it is excluded from the weekly 33% discount :(

Man, a whole week of Ubisoft deals? I might actually buy something if they weren't the second biggest assholes in video game publishing.

It's too bad, I hear those AssCreed games are pretty good.

desu

Mairu said:
People really buying Assassin's Creed now? I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up cheaper on one of the daily sales. Hopefully Brotherhood will be a part of that, since it is excluded from the weekly 33% discount :(

ASS 75% - ASS2 - 50% - BRO 25% :D.

Exuro

Mairu said:
I can't read.

I kinda want to get Forgotten Sands since I already have the PoP Sands Trilogy and I've played/beaten PoP2k8 already.

MacGurcules said:
Man, a whole week of Ubisoft deals? I might actually buy something if they weren't the second biggest assholes in video game publishing.

It's too bad, I hear those AssCreed games are pretty good.
I may regret this, but why are Ubisoft the second biggest assholes in video game publishing?

SalsaShark said:
I wonder if they'll let me bite on the Assassins Creed series with a good enough price.

Its pretty much the only game i openly despise here on GAF, having only tried the first one, hating it, and then continuing to see how Ubisoft milks the franchise to death.

Unlike most "haters", im open to give it another opportunity, so we'll see.
For what it's worth, I think AC1 is the worst game I have ever actually beat, but AC2 is good from what I've played (slow start though).

LOL, Mini Ninjas doesn't even run, it crashes on the loading screen. Thankfully I decided to try the demo before buying so I didn't end up wasting $6.80 on the full game. Still it's pretty sad that publishers don't even put in the effort to make sure their PC games at least FUNCTION properly.

PaulLFC

The price of Forgotten Sands in the UK is ridiculous - £10.19! The pack is £12.50, making the other 4 games about 57p each...

Mairu

Exuro said:
Probably not.
4nVqS.jpg
Well that just means if it goes on sale it'd be for less than 33%, 25% off seems believable for a daily sale for it

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
3chopl0x said:
Wouldn't having a Summer sale be redundant after putting all these different publisher sales on and having daily deals?

Some people would say "wouldn't having mid-week sales, week-end sales, and publisher weeks be redundant after having daily deals?"

There can always be more sales!

amrod

Now Available - DiRT 3
Product Release - Valve 15:50
DiRT 3 is now available on Steam!

Race through the snow, rain and dirt and experience dramatic night races with the most amount of rally content in the series yet. Competing as a professional rally star you’ll enjoy intense racing across three continents – from the forests of Michigan to the infamous roads of Finland and the national parks of Kenya.

And yet it doesn't unlock for 5 more hours... Why do they post its out when it isn't... Weak!!!

coopolon

legend166 said:
So how is Mini Ninjas?

Completely mediocre. I had fun for the first couple of hours, but it's certainly nothing to get excited about.

Edit: Unless you have kids and are really looking for games to play with them watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom