• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

apana said:
How does Valve/Steam go down exactly?

it doesnt

The Broken Ska Record said:
I hope It's Tom Clancy. Wouldn't mind pickup some Splinter Cell and the R6 Vegas games.

Ubi doesnt have enough big franchises to warrant the whole week, so im guessing they'll go with Splinter Cell day and Rainbow Six day instead of a full Tom Clancy one.

Baha said:
Sorry for the off-topic but I'm getting warnings from nod32 whenI launch Capsule to download Necrovision, it's giving me "potential threat found" from object: ...://wizzywizyweb.gmgcdn.com/media/capsulezips/EF5B19D5134BF4D19.. and threat: a variant of Win32/Packed.Themida potentially unwanted application. Is this a false positive or should I be concerned?

You could submit the file to ESET to be 100% sure, but I'd imagine it's fine. NOD32 will flag more-or-less every file packed with Themida when detection for potentially unwanted applications is enabled.

coopolon

apana said:
How does Valve/Steam go down exactly? Terrorist attack?

Since it's not a public corporation it's pretty easy to imagine plausible situations. I imagine there are only a few major shareholders, what happens if something happens to them? Who are their heirs, and what are their interests?

It's all stupid theoretical stuff and all highly unlikely, at least in the forseeable future, but then again we've spent the last page of this thread arguing if HL1 or HL2 is a better game so...

edit: not that I care. It's pretty easy to gain access to any games I'd be upset about losing. I just don't think people who are concerned about this are crazy cooks.

And of course people might be concerned about Valve's draconian account locking in any suspect situation.

nexen

coopolon said:
Since it's not a public corporation it's pretty easy to imagine plausible situations. I imagine there are only a few major shareholders, what happens if something happens to them? Who are their heirs, and what are their interests?

It's all stupid theoretical stuff and all highly unlikely, at least in the forseeable future, but then again we've spent the last page of this thread arguing if HL1 or HL2 is a better game so...

edit: not that I care. It's pretty easy to gain access to any games I'd be upset about losing.

And of course people might be concerned about Valve's draconian account locking in any suspect situation.
me circa 1986 said:
Atari is huge. They're going to be around forever.
On a long enough timeline survivability of all things goes to zero. Many might not but I do care about retaining ownership of my games in perpetuity. Having them on Steam practically guarantees I will not be able to over a long enough timeframe. I will grant that it is arguable if I could maintain ownership as long or longer with DRM-less digital or physical copies though. At least I felt in control with those, even though it is largely a false security :(

balladofwindfishes said:
I had to record playthroughs of classic games for an archive of video games.
!!!! This is extremely relevant to my interests! Is this a publically accessible archive? You are doing a man's job, sir!

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
prodystopian said:
When do Steam deals go up now? I could have sworn it was noon ET for the Holiday sale, but it seems like it has been later since then.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's when it was during the holiday sale.

Sales these days generally go up on the dot at 1:10 EST.

LegoDad

drizzle said:
Then why are we discussing it in the Steam thread, when there's a Digital Distribution Deals thread?

Because not very many people use it, and when it's free maybe people who are Steam only wouldn't mind picking it up...

1-D_FTW

coopolon said:

edit: not that I care. It's pretty easy to gain access to any games I'd be upset about losing. I just don't think people who are concerned about this are crazy cooks.

What are their interests? The same as any heir: MONEY. Even if they had absolutely zero interest in running it, they're not going to dissolve something they could sell for billions of dollars in a bidding war. This is the one absolute of the world. People like money.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
prodystopian said:
When do Steam deals go up now? I could have sworn it was noon ET for the Holiday sale, but it seems like it has been later since then.

It's been 1 EST for as long as I can remember.

Ruse & Settlers 7

vazel

Banned
Settlers 7 is still too much for me. There used to be a non-Gold edition on steam it's still in my wishlist but when I click on it it takes me to the store front page.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
I need to mark the date the Daily Deals started, because I'm going to be deadly curious how many of them pass by before something I'm interesting is featured.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Both are games I am interested in, but I know I won't play any time soon. I'll wait for them to at least be $10 (Likely Ruse will be $5 before years end)

I am really hoping Hawx 1 is less then $10 sometime this sale, and Trackmania goes 75% (That I doubt though)

Daily Deals have come up with a number of Titles I want, but so far I own all of them I have been interested in.

I nabbed a physical copy of S7 for 9$ a while back, still haven't cracked it open. Sometimes it's nice picking through the bones of the PC section at a retail store. It's kind of like playing the lotto, most often you get nothing but every now and then you stumble across something interesting.

Uplink is one of my favorite games of all time. Definitely not for everyone, but if you're even remotely interested for 4 bucks you can't go wrong. Amazingly fun game. Very intense too.

Alucrid

Banned
So...some how my CC was charged 2 $50 transactions by Steam. Thing is it wasn't my account. I called them up and they said they can't dispute the charges until they've cleared and I've opened a ticket with Steam and nothing yet. When I do contest the charges it should fuck over their account, right? Would this still happen if they were tricky and tried to gift it from a dummy account too?

Dynoro

Settlers 7 is so tempting (especially as it includes all the DLC by the looks of it) but 15 squid is too much
I hate what these Steam sales have done to my concept of value

platypotamus said:
Steam says it's still there, which means I'm still passing on it. I think this is the third time I've gone to add it to my cart and then remembered the DRM.
Why do these asshats insist on drm outside of steam? Freakin' dumbasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom