• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mini Ninjas is great to me, where else can your hat double as your boat. Plus forest animals and a very nice aesthetic. The game itself is pretty meh.

It's a kids game but the fact that I have wanted it for years based solely off the ps3 demo says something.

coopolon

scorpscarx said:
Mini Ninjas is great to me, where else can your hat double as your boat. Plus forest animals and a very nice aesthetic. The game itself is pretty meh.

It's a kids game but the fact that I have wanted it for years based solely off the ps3 demo says something.

Yah, all that stuff is fun. The art is fun, music is okay, changing into animals is fun for the first few times, throwing fireballs, etc. It's just that it all gets really boring after a couple hours.

I'd say pass on it unless there's something about it that really attracts you, like you're really into juvenile ninjas or something.

Your synthesis is wrong, I meant like "as a game" obviously.

I'm a sucker for forest animals, hat boats, and sneaking through nice looking grass. What can I say.

"I'd say pass on it unless there's something about it that really attracts you, like you're really into juvenile ninjas or something."
\\
Haha it's funny that you should mention that because when I think about mini-ninjas I think about that very very bad movie with those 7 ninja kids from the 80's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wmNeIdjqgs

ftwwwww

I'm glad I picked up most of the ubi games for free when the had a stuff-up on their Australian website and gave away most of their games for $0 (which they duly honoured.

The Summer sale was in June last year, right?

The Witcher 2 is making me REALLY itchy and I want to pull the trigger on the first game, but it's £13 and I can't justify that at the moment :( I need a sale to look forward to so I can finally play it and then push my PC to edge with the sequel, haha.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Foliorum Viridum said:

The Witcher 2 is making me REALLY itchy and I want to pull the trigger on the first game, but it's £13 and I can't justify that at the moment :( I need a sale to look forward to so I can finally play it and then push my PC to edge with the sequel, haha.

Just get it now on GOG. It's still $4.99. You can get it for the US price, so you're paying like £3 and change for it.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/the_witcher

It's a great game.

Carm

Foliorum Viridum said:

It's 4.99 right now, DRM free on GOG right now.

Yeah one of my friends pointed that out to me, but... GoG isn't Steam.

I know, I know, it's fucking stupid, but I need my PC games on Steam. If they're not in my Steam library it doesn't feel like I own them and I might have well pirated them.

Sober

Foliorum Viridum said:

I know, I know, it's fucking stupid, but I need my PC games on Steam. If they're not in my Steam library it doesn't feel like I own them and I might have well pirated them.
But you actually own the game when you buy it from GoG ...

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Foliorum Viridum said:

That's nearing fanboism territory. There's no DRM on GoG. It gets no better than that. Everyone should be pushing hard for this on every DD platform.

I'm a huge fan of Steam but you're always under the guillotine. If your account is lost or suspended then all those games are no longer available.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
That's unfortunate. There's a lot of great stuff on GOG if you like classic games. It really complements Steam's service, in my opinion. Besides that, there is no DRM, so if you keep the install data, you'll be able to play your games downloaded from GOG even if the service disappeared.

SapientWolf said:
That's nearing fanboism territory. There's no DRM on GoG. It gets no better than that. Everyone should be pushing hard for this on every DD platform.

I'm a huge fan of Steam but you're always under the guillotine. If your account is lost or suspended then all those games are no longer available.
I'm pretty sure Valve had said all games will be yours if they ever go under for whatever reasons. Besides, if that didn't happen, I'd just pirate them anyway. I've paid money and own them, I can justify that.

I know it's pretty fanboy-ish, but that's just how I am. I need to own my games on Steam, which is why I'm willing to wait for sales. I said it was pretty stupid!

Burekma

Yeah, I'm not sure how well known it is, but you can make your games "DRM free" with very little effort. Usually involves downloading a 10MB file, extracting it and problem solved.

Carm

Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm pretty sure Valve had said all games will be yours if they ever go under for whatever reasons. Besides, if that didn't happen, I'd just pirate them anyway. I've paid money and own them, I can justify that.

I know it's pretty fanboy-ish, but that's just how I am. I need to own my games on Steam, which is why I'm willing to wait for sales. I said it was pretty stupid!

I just don't understand o_O. You're missing out on a lot of older, really great games that will probably never be on Steam (BG1/2, IWD1/2, PS:T among many others). Just seems silly to ignore the rich and varied pc game catalog just because it's not on Steam.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Burekma said:
Yeah, I'm not sure how well known it is, but you can make your games "DRM free" with very little effort. Usually involves downloading a 10MB file, extracting it and problem solved.

Sure, but there's something to be said about an installer that just installs the game and lets you play without having to do anything else.

Carm said:
I just don't understand o_O. You're missing out on a lot of older, really great games that will probably never be on Steam (BG1/2, IWD1/2, PS:T among many others). Just seems silly to ignore the rich and varied pc game catalog just because it's not on Steam.
If there's some obscure adventure game that likely will never be on Steam I'll go grab it from GoG. I have used it once or twice in the past. However, that's more to support the notion of releasing older games than anything else and I hope that by buying them on GoG more games like them will be released (and hopefully on Steam!)

With games that ARE on Steam, I need to buy them on Steam.

coopolon

Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm pretty sure Valve had said all games will be yours if they ever go under for whatever reasons.

There's no evidence supporting this urban myth. Some people on Steam forums claim to have seen ane mail Gabe or someone sent but no record of the email exists anymore. And even then it was just an email someone posted on their forums.

I tend to agree with you that's it a moot point though. Steam's DRM can and is broken regularly, so it's not really a concern. And it's not like Valve is going anywhere anytime soon.

ChaoticEko

Neo Member
I bought Dirt 3 on steam, got dirt 2 as a giftable copy. I already own it. Anyone interested in buying it off me for 10 bucks?

message me on steam : chaoticeko

EDIT: already traded it

legend166

If Steam somehow disappears and you lose access to all your games, you really should have no moral or ethical objection to just going out and downloading all those games from torrent sites.

That's what I would do.

Carm

balladofwindfishes said:
So what's the best way to easily back up my Steam games for quick installation on a new PC?

Because I do not want to have to download 100+ gigs worth of games.

Either copy the steamapps folder to another hard drive or use the backup tool in steam to back them up individually and then you can burn them to discs if you really want or just copy the backups to another hd.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
In the menu, go to Steam->Backup and Restore Games. Lets you pick which ones you want to back up, too.

Hope you have a big external HD.

legend166 said:
If Steam somehow disappears and you lose access to all your games, you really should have no moral or ethical objection to just going out and downloading all those games from torrent sites.

That's what I would do.
I know piracy is a big no-no on GAF (and rightfully so) but I think most people would feel like this. Hell, I'm sure even the developers of the games wouldn't feel bad about you pirating their games if you've already bought them. They're literally losing nothing and you're not gaining anything you didn't already own.

John

Burekma said:
they don't always work.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm pretty sure Valve had said all games will be yours if they ever go under for whatever reasons.
absolutely false, and I wish people would stop repeating this. Every game is subject to its own rules based on who the developer is and the owner of the IP, not the fact that you paid for it on steam. If steam went down, you would have as many different results with the games you own as there are studios and IP owners that own them at that time.

Cyrillus

3chopl0x said:
Wouldn't having a Summer sale be redundant after putting all these different publisher sales on and having daily deals?

Oh yeah, well let me ask you this: Shut up!

redundant sales just mean more sales!

Foliorum Viridum said:

Then buy the game and add a shortcut for a non-Steam game to your Steam client? Good Ol' Games does what Steam doesn't, they make sure older games are compatible for newer systems, they sell tons of classic games that aren't available on Steam (and likely never will be), they sell them for cheap and, perhaps most important of all, they sell these good old games DRM free. Also when you buy either Witcher off of GoG, you're giving the developers of that game all of the money for that game.

When you buy an older game off of Steam, it's a crap shoot if it will work. Your best bet before making a purchase of an older game is to look at the Steam user forums for that game or series, see what issues there are and what, if any, solutions there are. I had to find an open source, community generated patch just to get my Steam purchased copy of Arx Fatalis to work.

Twig

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
Then buy the game and add a shortcut for a non-Steam game to your Steam client? Good Ol' Games does what Steam doesn't, they make sure older games are compatible for newer systems, they sell tons of classic games that aren't available on Steam (and likely never will be), they sell them for cheap and, perhaps most important of all, they sell these good old games DRM free. Also when you buy either Witcher off of GoG, you're giving the developers of that game all of the money for that game.

When you buy an older game off of Steam, it's a crap shoot if it will work. Your best bet before making a purchase of an older game is to look at the Steam user forums for that game or series, see what issues there are and what, if any, solutions there are. I had to find an open source, community generated patch just to get my Steam purchased copy of Arx Fatalis to work.
Pretty much.

Carm said:
Either copy the steamapps folder to another hard drive or use the backup tool in steam to back them up individually and then you can burn them to discs if you really want or just copy the backups to another hd.
I don't have a big enough drive to transfer them all, so I think I'll have to pick some of the biggest ones.

Probably L4D2, Portal 2 and TF2 would be the big ones. I can install the Orange Box via CD, and the other Source games are only 1-2 gigs anyway. I don't have any other big games installed (like Batman)

jaundicejuice said:

None of this changes the fact I want the game on Steam, though.

Like I said, it's fanboy-ish and quite stupid, but you're not going to convince me otherwise.

ChaoticEko

Neo Member
balladofwindfishes said:
I don't have a big enough drive to transfer them all, so I think I'll have to pick some of the biggest ones.

Probably L4D2, Portal 2 and TF2 would be the big ones. I can install the Orange Box via CD, and the other Source games are only 1-2 gigs anyway. I don't have any other big games installed (like Batman)

There's an app, called "Steam Mover" that will let you move select games to another drive, while leaving others, and still works with steam so you can play them, as it keeps the file structure of the steam folder intact. I use it to put my most played games on my SSD, while the others sit on my slow 1 TB

legend166

Don't use the Steam backup utility. It's terrible.

Just copy the steam apps folder somewhere. and then you can copy it back. When you launch a game it will do a quick check and you'll be ready to go.

Erudite

legend166 said:

Just copy the steam apps folder somewhere. and then you can copy it back. When you launch a game it will do a quick check and you'll be ready to go.
It's helpful if you want to lower the size of the files during transfer, admittedly not by a whole lot.

Shaneus

jaundicejuice said:

S'what I reckon. I used to be dead against it, but once you realise that there really is no difference (other than where the game is located and there's no link to "official" forums) then you don't even notice. Even to the point where Steam shows what non-Steam game your playing AND has the overlay.

legend166 said:

Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with it? I'm going to backup all of my games soon and was going to use the utility.

Burekma

LastWindow said:
Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with it? I'm going to backup all of my games soon and was going to use the utility.
It doesn't work as it's supposed to, it's slow as shit and it can easily crash. I honestly don't know why it's there. I had nothing but bad experience when I last used it. It's probably fine if you only back up one or two games, but more than that is just asking for trouble.

Copying the whole steamapps folder (or select games) worked much better for me. All games showed at 99% done in Steam and all I needed to do was double click to complete the "installation".

coopolon

LastWindow said:

The biggest problem I've had with it is that when trying to restore games I backed up using the Steam backup utility, Steam just downloads the games instead rendering the backup useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom