• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

epmode

Aselith said:
Company of Heroes just started trying to download a 6 gigabyte patch for all three versions. Anyone know what that is? 21 gigs is a whole new game!
I bet it's just one patch that covers all three games. Either way, CoH is kind of known for massive patches, by the way. Not because of extra content, but because of the way the game's file system is handled. Everything is fused together and it all has to be redownloaded due to the way Steam handles patches.

And from what I remember. it's still preferable to the retail patching situation.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Aselith said:
Company of Heroes just started trying to download a 6 gigabyte patch for all three versions. Anyone know what that is? 21 gigs is a whole new game!

It's some wierdness with the steam version of CoH, whenever they patch it, Steam redownloads the whole bloody game. The actual patch is only 200 megs are so.

Damn it. Just bought the Sam & Max games.

I'm never getting those bunny ears am I?

Hard to pass it up though . . . it is ~$1/episode. Can't beat that.

Carm

Javaman said:
I would totally buy Sam and Max complete for that price but I'm waiting for the glorious return of the TellTale everything pack for $50. Hopefully it'll come back during the summer or winter sales.

As I sit here, I have it in my cart, and I'm fighting every instinct to finish the transaction. Ever since I missed the last Telltale complete pack sale, back in what, last summer sale, or Christmas '09 sale I've held out buying anything Telltale.

This one is killing me not finalizing the transaction. I don't even need BTTF:The Game to be part of the complete pack, I just wanted all the strong bad/wallace&gromit/monkey island all in a complete pack. So now, I have to decide to either buy or pray they have it during the summer sale when I still have a decent online connection.

Syphon Filter said:
I got a question about the Steam Backup Feature. First what is better to use a disk or external hdd? Also can i back up any of my games or is it specific to certain games? And last how much faster is it compared to re downloading it? Do you just install the game?

I have all my games backed up using the Steam back up utility, 493 gigs worth. They are all on a secondary drive at the moment, but I plan on also burning them to dvds in the future because I'm paranoid about hard drive failure. You can backup any game on Steam, I've never ran into any issues backing up and then testing the backups for flaws, and it's much faster than downloading them again.

DJ_Lae said:
I used to use the backup feature - now I just go into my Steam folder and copy a particular game's folder onto my network drive, and copy it back into Steam when I want to play it again. You may have to restart Steam to get it to see the files, though.

I find the backup process takes forever and doesn't compress the game much either, but maybe I'm the only one who does it this way.

Backing up for me takes less than 8 minutes for 90% of the games. Compression rates are different for different games I guess. I was pretty impressed with Dragon Age Origin Ultimate Edition when I backed it up. It went from an initial download of about 24 gigs to a back up of 13 gigs. With that said, some games the compressed size isn't impressive. Just moving the Steamapps folders is fine to, but I had planned on moving backups to dvds eventually so it's just easier using the backup, less files to split up.

mrgone

BobJustBob said:
I downloaded the demo back when the game first came out and never tried it until today. The first-time install stuff took ten full minutes, after which the game crashed on startup. When I ran the game again, it started going through all the first-time install stuff again, so I hit cancel. A few minutes later a popup alerted me to the fact that all the first-time install stuff was running anyway. When that stuff finished, my machine rebooted without asking. So I uninstalled the demo and I say the game sucks.

They're just trying to give you the authentic Dungeon Keeper experience :)

ciD_Vain

Hello all! So i've just recently joined Steam. I only have Portal 1 (i got it for free) and L4D 2 as games so far... i don't really know what to buy. Any great suggestions? Some of the Western RPGs look great but for some reason i can never get into them nor do i end up enjoying them.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
ciD_Vain said:
Hello all! So i've just recently joined Steam. I only have Portal 1 (i got it for free) and L4D 2 as games so far... i don't really know what to buy. Any great suggestions? Some of the Western RPGs look great but for some reason i can never get into them nor do i end up enjoying them.
Only suggestion I have is to make sure you buy everything on sale.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
ciD_Vain said:
Just watch the 'specials' tab. with Steam, you rarely intentionally buy something. It's always just a matter of, 'oh hey this is dirt cheap and I don't have it'

Exuro

ciD_Vain said:
I would check out the Ubisoft games on Steam and if any interest you I would check each day this week to see if they are the daily Ubisoft sale. Also be sure to check the regular daily sale and if anything interests you check out if the gme is any good or ask the forum for some opinions. Welcome to the dark side.

ciD_Vain said:

Well you have Portal, you should get Portal 2.

Also hard to go wrong with Fortix for a buck. It's like Qix with dragons.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
HadesGigas said:

I'll never play this game, but you can't say 'no' to USD$0.99.

Sblargh

Banned
zoner said:
Just watch the 'specials' tab. with Steam, you rarely intentionally buy something. It's always just a matter of, 'oh hey this is dirt cheap and I don't have it'

lol.
So true. 90% of my library is stuff I never thought I would play one day. Civilization 5 is the only "intentional" buy I have.

ciD_Vain

Jive Turkey said:
Only suggestion I have is to make sure you buy everything on sale.
wtf, i'm really new to Steam and...a lot of things are really cheap!
zoner said:
My wallet is going to hate me.
Exuro said:
I would check out the Ubisoft games on Steam and if any interest you I would check each day this week to see if they are the daily Ubisoft sale. Also be sure to check the regular daily sale and if anything interests you check out if the gme is any good or ask the forum for some opinions. Welcome to the dark side.
I never knew how awesome Steam is with its sales. Maybe now is a good time to get into Assassin's Creed.
HadesGigas said:

Yeah Portal 2 looks great! I want TF2 as well, perhaps i'll buy the Valve super crazy awesome pack. I'll look into Fortix.

Thanks for the help guys.

Mairu

ciD_Vain said:
wtf, i'm really new to Steam and...a lot of things are really cheap!

My wallet is going to hate me.

I never knew how awesome Steam is with its sales. Maybe now is a good time to get into Assassin's Creed.

Yeah Portal 2 looks great! I want TF2 as well, perhaps i'll buy the Valve super crazy awesome pack. I'll look into Fortix.

Thanks for the help guys.
Assassin's Creed will probably go on sale for even cheaper one day this week (it's ubisoft week). The Valve pack undoubtedly will be cheaper during their annual summer sale, that happened around the end of June last year I believe.

Aselith

I'm pretty sure Steam just used nearly my entire daily download (450MB, satellite :/ ) allotment over this Company of Heroes patch. I have Company of Heroes set to do not patch automatically but it did anyways. Well, whatever. I'll just pause it and it'll be fine.

Well, my allotment was set to reset in 10 minutes so I went to play a game (non-online game) while I waited and closed it 30 or 40 minutes later and my meter is at 20% left. What? I closed all windows to make sure Chrome wasn't doing something funky. Nothing else was downloading so I look at my downloads and everything is paused but still my bandwidth meter ticks down. I just deleted all of the Company of Heroes data so that it won't patch anymore.

So that's awesome! Thanks for that, Valve.

Minor inconvenience I know but very annoying nonetheless especially since, if I go over the limit, the timer for 24 hours of slower than shit internet starts when it goes over not when it last reset.

P.S. Fix this shit

ciD_Vain

Mairu said:
Assassin's Creed will probably go on sale for even cheaper one day this week (it's ubisoft week). The Valve pack undoubtedly will be cheaper during their annual summer sale, that happened around the end of June last year I believe.
Oh cool, i'll definitely keep my eyes peeled for that. i can't wait for some cool steam announcements at e3. thank you.

confused

Banned
Somebody stop me from buying / sell me on Settlers 7. I don't care about the DRM, survived it in Ac2, SC:C and POP.

Also,

I have spare Steam key for Just Cause 2. Anybody want to trade ? Hit me up with a pm.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wait, something's wrong.

I've bought Settlers and now about to install it... except somehow it's stuck at "download starting".

confused

Banned
Ookami-kun said:
Wait, something's wrong.

I've bought Settlers and now about to install it... except somehow it's stuck at "download starting".

Delete local content and start again. Otherwise log out, then log in again.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
confused said:
I have spare Steam key for Just Cause 2. Anybody want to trade ? Hit me up with a pm.

I was just about to hit you up on that offer, but then I just realized...I already have jc2 on steam :(

It's a fools dance

SmokyDave

Aselith said:
I'm pretty sure Steam just used nearly my entire daily download (450MB, satellite :/ )
Jeez, that must be a killer. IIRC, Napoleon: Total War was about 20GB when I downloaded it. What do you do about 'big' games?

Aselith

SmokyDave said:
Jeez, that must be a killer. IIRC, Napoleon: Total War was about 20GB when I downloaded it. What do you do about 'big' games?

Yeah, it sucks. :( They have a free download period between 2am and 7am though so I download the big stuff during that period. I have a download manager set up that will start up Steam (which I already have the game set to start downloading on) and then shut down my computer at 7am so I can download the full time without actually being present. Usually, I can get about 2.5 to 3 gigs a night so it takes a long time for really big stuff. It's a pain to work around though. Oh for the days when I had DSL!

It also doesn't work so well if something starts downloading automatically during the regular period since it can eat up the cap fast. I have everything in Steam set to not download automatically. That's why this sucks so bad because I need to be able to trust stuff that can download big chunks to not eat up my bandwidth. This is very vexing to be honest.

I actually bought all the Total War games in the sale they had a month or two ago so I have downloaded Empire, Napoleon and Medieval 2 and yeah they took about a week apiece heh.

C.T.

DisenLedZep said:
Ok, here's my guess:

M: Prince Of Persia Series
T: HAWX Series (They could add the Blazing Angel Series too)
W: Splinter Cell Series
T: Ghost Recon Series or Rainbow Six Series (Maybe they do a whole day or split them into two)
F: Might And Magic Series
S: Assassin's Creed Series
S: Settler's Series

Where is my anno?

Sinatar

C.T. said:
Where is my anno?

Not happening. Ubisoft refused to make the 2.1 patch for the Steam version of the game which fixes some serious issues so Steam pulled it from the marketplace.

benjipwns

Banned
Had to go all in on Sam and Max.

I actually paid for GameTap back in the day almost just for that. (Plus when the service didn't suck and had a shit load of old great games.) $17 for all three seasons. Impossible to resist.

I'll eat more ramen and pasta next week or something.

While playing Sam and Max.

Sinatar

Ookami-kun said:
I thought Dawn of Discovery is in Steam.

It was for awhile. The game has a critical bug whereby it will randomly corrupt *all* your save files. Ubisoft released a 2.1 patch to fix this (among other things) but as far as I know only patched the European release. They never made a Steam compatible version of the patch, so instead of selling a broken game Valve yanked it from the store.

Sinatar

Ookami-kun said:

untitled67p4.jpg

Sinatar said:
Not happening. Ubisoft refused to make the 2.1 patch for the Steam version of the game which fixes some serious issues so Steam pulled it from the marketplace.
You know, there were days when I admired them.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Sinatar said:

So bloody slack.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Well, this was unexpected. Sam & Max has completely awful audio compression with this high pitched-scramble noise. Does it get better in later episodes or is there (unlikely) a way to upgrade the audio? I'd let it take up twice as much hard drive space to get rid of that. I hear it less on my crappier headphones but I may have to play this game over speakers and fiddle with the levels to muddle it. I haven't heard audio like this since N64.

InertiaXr

Aselith said:
It also doesn't work so well if something starts downloading automatically during the regular period since it can eat up the cap fast. I have everything in Steam set to not download automatically. That's why this sucks so bad because I need to be able to trust stuff that can download big chunks to not eat up my bandwidth. This is very vexing to be honest.

The option on each game to "do not automatically update this game" has never worked and at this point probably never will. Makes modding any game you buy on Steam that's not relatively old and past the patching stage effectively impossible as patches will just override whatever personal settings you make as they see fit.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Hoard only came out about two months ago, too. So I guess recent games can be eligible for daily deals. Come on Atom Zombie Smasher and Dwarfs!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom