• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

wallet safe.. i think

Trackmania is tempting, but id be better off waiting for 2. Already played a lot of a non-steam version

samoset

I have the free version of Trackmania that came out a few years ago and rather enjoyed it. What are the benefits/differences to this version than the free version?

Stitch

Gold Member
You already own Trackmania United Forever Star Edition

mhhh ok

I'm sure it wasn't a Star Edition when i bought it.

mxgt

Banned
samoset said:
I have the free version of Trackmania that came out a few years ago and rather enjoyed it. What are the benefits/differences to this version than the free version?

Free version is just one environment

This one has that one and 6 others.

Bebpo

Banned
Sinatar said:
It was for awhile. The game has a critical bug whereby it will randomly corrupt *all* your save files. Ubisoft released a 2.1 patch to fix this (among other things) but as far as I know only patched the European release. They never made a Steam compatible version of the patch, so instead of selling a broken game Valve yanked it from the store.

What the hell? I paid good money for this+expansion in the winter steam sale and haven't even gotten to playing it yet. This sucks :(

Blizzard

Banned
Jade Ryan said:
Does Trackmania have any type of career mode or is mainly a sandbox type of racer?
It's not a sandbox racer (it's not made for off-roading/exploring), it's a competitive/time trial racer. It's SUPER arcadey, and I highly recommend it. The $10 is worth it in my opinion for all the content. Bear in mind that though you can buy some stuff with the crazy ingame currency, or maybe realworld currency, there is also apparently a good bit of free content.

So if you want to make your own maps, or drive around in the Batmobile, you can probably find it somewhere.

I think there is a career mode in the sense that you do progressively more complicated challenges, trying to gold star them etc., but it's just beating the best time. You -may- race against other cars but it's been so long I can't remember for sure. Another thing to remember about Trackmania games is that even if you're playing online, I -think- you never affect other cars. You drive right through them.

Firehead

DisenLedZep said:
With all the series Ubisoft has on Steam, I must say that pulling a Trackmania day sound kinda cheap...

Anywho, four more days to go.
"Cheap"? Bah. I've been waiting for this game to go on sale from the standard $40. I'm rather shocked it went on sale.

MNC

Trackmania is awesome. Though I've been having my fun with the free edition.

Does Trackmania has local multiplayer?

It has hotseat, meaning you alternate. P1 races, sets a time, P2 races, sets a time. Other than that, it also has online, LAN and a lengthy singleplayer.

Firehead said:
"Cheap"? Bah. I've been waiting for this game to go on sale from the standard $40. I'm rather shocked it went on sale.

It's the "only one game" effect

1st day: 5 games on sale
2nd day: 2 games on sale
3rd day: 1 game on sale

You see where I'm going :p

Bans for everyone who passes up Trackmania. Even if you already own it.

"So what's the difference between the Star Edition and free? This has been on my wishlist for the longest time is all."

Trackmania Nations has only one environment, Stadium. Each environment has vastly different handling and different blocks. Trackmania United Forever Turbo Star Edition XX #reload has Seven.

It's like 7 Trackmania Nations in one.

Luigi87

I'm going to NYC this weekend (I live in Canada), and if by some magic miracle, Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines goes on a Daily Deal, in that I won't be able to purchase it... That will demonstrate some greater force hates me.

JackEtc

*Check Steam, "Trackmania? Pass, not a fan of racers"*
*Go to GAF, read thread*
*Check bank account, $19.07*

Ehhhhh........I really want to....but.....

I'm concerned there'll be something better on sale.... =\

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Trackmania?! Fuuuuuck! I never thought they'd do it, and after Sam & Max I have no moneys. :(

Bebpo said:
What the hell? I paid good money for this+expansion in the winter steam sale and haven't even gotten to playing it yet. This sucks :(
Same except I started playing it and am at the 5th or so level (and the game is not fast paced). Hope the bug doesn't hit.

"It's not a sandbox racer (it's not made for off-roading/exploring), it's a competitive/time trial racer. It's SUPER arcadey, and I highly recommend it. The $10 is worth it in my opinion for all the content. Bear in mind that though you can buy some stuff with the crazy ingame currency, or maybe realworld currency, there is also apparently a good bit of free content."

Only in-game currency, there is no real money transaction in the game whatsoever.

1-D_FTW

Trackmania has never dropped below 20 I think. Must be an aggressive push to get more eyeballs on the series since Trackmania 2 Canyon is releasing this year. AMAZING deal. Buy!

DisenLedZep said:
With all the series Ubisoft has on Steam, I must say that pulling a Trackmania day sound kinda cheap...

Anywho, four more days to go.

You win today.

Honestly I'm learning not to buy stuff unless I'm sure I will finish within 3-4 months. Otherwise most of the time the price drops and I lose out. Ugh must stop buying compilation packs.

TheExodu5

Banned
Trackmania is the greatest racer ever created. Buy it, even if you hate racers.

Honestly, it's so arcadey and trial based that you could even consider it a platformer.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Minor stuff, but looking at the registry it looks like Deus Ex is going to be packed in with some AMD video cards. Also, Call of Juarez: The Cartel will have a preorder bonus of Call of Juarez 2.

plc268

Before anyone buys Trackmania Forever sight unseen, play the free Trackmania Nations first. If you like that and want more of that, then get Trackmania Forever.

desu

Drkirby said:
Minor stuff, but looking at the registry it looks like Deus Ex is going to be packed in with some AMD video cards. Also, Call of Juarez: The Cartel will have a preorder bonus of Call of Juarez 2.

And Duke with Nvidia, was posted a while ago here (I think).

Jade Ryan

Banned
Blizzard said:
It's not a sandbox racer (it's not made for off-roading/exploring), it's a competitive/time trial racer. It's SUPER arcadey, and I highly recommend it. The $10 is worth it in my opinion for all the content. Bear in mind that though you can buy some stuff with the crazy ingame currency, or maybe realworld currency, there is also apparently a good bit of free content.

So if you want to make your own maps, or drive around in the Batmobile, you can probably find it somewhere.

I think there is a career mode in the sense that you do progressively more complicated challenges, trying to gold star them etc., but it's just beating the best time. You -may- race against other cars but it's been so long I can't remember for sure. Another thing to remember about Trackmania games is that even if you're playing online, I -think- you never affect other cars. You drive right through them.

I meant sandbox as in create and play etc. Not free roaming. Thanks for answering my question, though.

Moving on. Regarding the Anno 1404 situation, if you have the Venice expansion, you can manually update your Steam version to the latest patch, unfortunately this method will not work for the base game.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1672967

It's really strange that Steam doesn't have the patch, because the Impulse version is patched to the latest version. Makes me think there is more to the story that we aren't privy to.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Teknopathetic said:
Bans for everyone who passes up Trackmania. Even if you already own it.

"So what's the difference between the Star Edition and free? This has been on my wishlist for the longest time is all."

Trackmania Nations has only one environment, Stadium. Each environment has vastly different handling and different blocks. Trackmania United Forever Turbo Star Edition XX #reload has Seven.

It's like 7 Trackmania Nations in one.
Cool, thanks, and bought.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Oh man I was just asking a few weeks ago about whether Track Mania ever goes on sale and now it has and now I'm buying it oh man oh man.
It went on sale once, for 20$ back in winter 09 when I first started using Steam.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Princess Skittles said:
But what is?
Well, Outrun 2006 used to be on Steam, which is basically Outrun 2. Shame Sega shut down the servers and gave the game no direct connection option. Plus, it locks up on start up pretty often, and doesn't work with the overlay. If you want Multiplayer in the game now, you have to make a VPN. Even then, I only assume it would work, hoping Sega doesn't require you to be signed in to play Lan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom