• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Broken Ska Record said:
I may regret this, but why are Ubisoft the second biggest assholes in video game publishing?
Man, this thread moves way too fast.

Anyway...
I don't care much for Ubisoft these days on account of their history of making shoddy ports and incorporating actively hostile DRM schemes. Admittedly, it's been a while since I've played one of their games so they may have cleaned up their act on the shoddy port issue but I'm definitely not going to encourage this needing to verify account with the publisher just to start up a game I paid for horseshit (if you'll excuse the vernacular).

The worst thing you can do to me as a customer is abuse the trust in the relationship. And treating me as a criminal as a matter of course is such an abuse, I feel.

Sober

Wow, woke up, ate lunch, browsed GAF a bit, played Forgotten Sands, and finished it in time for dinner. 5 hours? Well, thank god I didn't pay 40$ for it or something, though I guess I now have the full Sands of Time collection. =\

Sober said:
Wow, woke up, ate lunch, browsed GAF a bit, played Forgotten Sands, and finished it in time for dinner. 5 hours? Well, thank god I didn't pay 40$ for it or something, though I guess I now have the full Sands of Time collection. =\

ha-ha?

I was *this* close to buying it myself, but luckily I already have a trilogy collection floating around here...well, somewhere anyway.

Javaman

I would totally buy Sam and Max complete for that price but I'm waiting for the glorious return of the TellTale everything pack for $50. Hopefully it'll come back during the summer or winter sales.

jiien

JoeBoy101 said:
Anybody here having problems connecting to Steam?

My status at the bottom does say 'No Connection', but I'm not actively downloading anything. I'm sure whatever it is, it will resolve itself pretty soon.

Javaman said:
I would totally buy Sam and Max complete for that price but I'm waiting for the glorious return of the TellTale everything pack for $50. Hopefully it'll come back during the summer or winter sales.
I was so ready for that over the winter sale. I'm really hoping to see it again sometime this year.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
That Sam & Max deal is pretty crazy, adventure games are not my favorite genre at all but i did enjoy that free episode of season 1 a lot umm what to do, thankfully i have until thursday to think it over.

Sober

Zeitgeister said:
ha-ha?

I was *this* close to buying it myself, but luckily I already have a trilogy collection floating around here...well, somewhere anyway.
To be fair, I thought FS was pretty fun, but it just happened to be so short. The platforming is exquisite in my opinion, but the combat is a bit boring and repetitive. Even though WW was all gothic emo loud rock music, I did enjoy the combat system in WW and I wish they kept that or something.

biocat

Looking for a friendly GAFer willing to gift me the Settlers 7 complete DLC pack. It's not offered here in Japan.

(edit) Never mind. Found it!

Smash88

Banned
NIN90 said:
Dungeons 50% off

Yay or nay?
Downloading demo as we speak!

Everyone was hyped based on it being a Dungeon Keeper sequel sort. From what I've read, heard, saw, it was nothing as everyone thought.

So try the demo out and if you like it buy it.

Vyrance

Sinatar said:
I'm not one for verbose reviews but they basically undid all the damage Settlers 4 - 6 did to the franchise and brought it back to it's roots. It plays like Settlers 2 but with gorgeous graphics and an even more in depth economical model.

So good to hear. I still play Settlers 2 (10th anniv. edition) regularly. Looks like I'll pick this one up!

NIN90 said:
Dungeons 50% off

Yay or nay?
Downloading demo as we speak!

I downloaded the demo back when the game first came out and never tried it until today. The first-time install stuff took ten full minutes, after which the game crashed on startup. When I ran the game again, it started going through all the first-time install stuff again, so I hit cancel. A few minutes later a popup alerted me to the fact that all the first-time install stuff was running anyway. When that stuff finished, my machine rebooted without asking. So I uninstalled the demo and I say the game sucks.

Meier

Settlers for $20. Seems like a good deal.. what's the consensus?

Looks like some good things to say. Maybe I'll pick it up.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Relax.MX said:
Chance for a Beyond Good and Evil sale?...or go with the 33%?

I don't think it would be likely, but it wouldn't hurt to wait until Friday if you've managed to wait 8 years or however long it's been, just in case ;)

PaulLFC

BobJustBob said:
I downloaded the demo back when the game first came out and never tried it until today. The first-time install stuff took ten full minutes, after which the game crashed on startup. When I ran the game again, it started going through all the first-time install stuff again, so I hit cancel. A few minutes later a popup alerted me to the fact that all the first-time install stuff was running anyway. When that stuff finished, my machine rebooted without asking. So I uninstalled the demo and I say the game sucks.

Similar thing happened to me. Took about 10 minutes to install some .NET Framework Client thing, even though I already have the framework itself installed. It then proceeded to try and reboot my computer without asking, but luckily Windows popped up the "These programs are still running, do you want to shut down" box, so I hit cancel.

The demo then decided to crash Chrome, and finally start itself, by which point I couldn't actually be bothered to play it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I still haven't played BG&E but I've heard the PC port is rough on modern hardware. I think it's supposed to come out for PS3 so I'll just wait for that.

Snuggler said:
I still haven't played BG&E but I've heard the PC port is rough on modern hardware. I think it's supposed to come out for PS3 so I'll just wait for that.
Yeah, it was planned for a PS3 release last month, but the Store went down of course. Should be up next month on it.

biocat

Meier said:
Settlers for $20. Seems like a good deal.. what's the consensus?

Looks like some good things to say. Maybe I'll pick it up.

It's a good city builder with streamlined combat. Most of your time will be spent optimizing your resource collection and production. I've enjoyed the several hours I've played.

Jade Ryan

Banned
Settler's is just wonderful. Really having a lot of fun with it.

Regarding the DRM, I disabled my internet connection while I was playing and it didn't seem to affect my game. Only tested it once and YMMV, but I am wondering if it received the same update that Ass Creed 2 did?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Relax.MX said:
Chance for a Beyond Good and Evil sale?...or go with the 33%?

I'd wager that you'd see it for at least 50% off during the summer sale at the end of June if you're patient when they discount entire catalogs at half off.

Jade Ryan said:
Settler's is just wonderful. Really having a lot of fun with it.

Regarding the DRM, I disabled my internet connection while I was playing and it didn't seem to affect my game. Only tested it once and YMMV, but I am wondering if it received the same update that Ass Creed 2 did?

According to this article it's been changed to only use the Internet every time the game is started up to check the install.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/12/31/constant-net-connection-no-longer-required-for-ubisoft-games/

Dawn of Discovery, Settlers 7, Splinter Cell Conviction and, I believe, Assassin's Creed II all had their DRM altered. It went from requiring a persistent connection to merely checking online during the initial boot of the application. Not ideal but better.

cicero

1-D_FTW said:
What are their interests? The same as any heir: MONEY. Even if they had absolutely zero interest in running it, they're not going to dissolve something they could sell for billions of dollars in a bidding war. This is the one absolute of the world. People like money.
Desire for money does not inherently translate into ability to make money, or more to the point, make money by continuing in the same exact path that Gabe and Valve have been going down. What if Gabe died and those controlling the company chose to sell it to Gabe's old employer, Microsoft? It would be a drop in the bucket for them and I couldn't imagine them not wanting to control this expanding marketplace. What then? I know of no set in concrete promises, much less legal protections, against MS simply changing Steam into another Xbox Live type service that you have to pay to access. Or that they would go down an entirely different path when it comes to how they view their customers, or that they wouldn't just be a typically large and inept corporate entity, or a myriad of other potential issues that would mean vast changes to a service many people seem to assume will last in its current state ad infinitum. Without Gabe as a driving force behind Valve, I think many of these issues will pop up even if they aren't sold.

The best thing a consumer can hope for is DRM free content that they control. I trust no one, Valve included. If they go down or are in someway drastically changed, I will have absolutely NO moral or ethical qualms about downloading or cracking any of the 440+ titles I bought legally.

Does anyone else besides me find it annoying that when you buy a game with DLC that you don't have a choice of whether or not to download the DLC at the same time?

purg3

slept with Malkin
Shahadan said:
Get Sam&Max collection, have 13461318631638 hours of laugh, blablabla, profit.

shit, never got in the series, or adventure games for that matter but this seems like a pretty awesome deal. is this a good place to start for adventure games? i'm on the fence right now, but at this price it seems hard to pass up.

Salsa

had 2.66 bucks on the wallet, added 5 more

now i have a total of 5 bucks

WTF GABE WHERE'S MY MONEY

purg3 said:
shit, never got in the series, or adventure games for that matter but this seems like a pretty awesome deal. is this a good place to start for adventure games? i'm on the fence right now, but at this price it seems hard to pass up.

yes

yes

yes

great amount of content for the lowest prive it has been so far. Anyone who passes this deal has issues. issues i tell you.

All three seasons for $17 is an amazing price. Do it. They're a great starting point for an adventure game newbie, there's a hint system, the puzzles for the most part aren't cheap, and they're all funny.

jaundicejuice said:
Dawn of Discovery, Settlers 7, Splinter Cell Conviction and, I believe, Assassin's Creed II all had their DRM altered. It went from requiring a persistent connection to merely checking online during the initial boot of the application. Not ideal but better.

Dawn of Discovery never used this DRM and Settlers 7 still features the DRM. I got several popups about it today.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Hopefully I wont' make a mistake holding out for the "Telltale" complete pack. I really liked Sam&Max season 1, so I'm willing to wait so I can get Wallace and Gromit, Back to the Future, and the Tales of Monkey Island ones as well!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Stumpokapow said:
I don't think it would be likely, but it wouldn't hurt to wait until Friday if you've managed to wait 8 years or however long it's been, just in case ;)
I actually am going to hold off on a PC version in the event that the HD version some how gets ported to the PC (Or is the PC version already have those textures?)

Salsa

Drkirby said:
I actually am going to hold off on a PC version in the event that the HD version some how gets ported to the PC (Or is the PC version already have those textures?)

if anything itll probably get updated as with the oddbox (PC version getting updated for free once the PS3 high res textures become available).

Then again, this is Ubi.

wienke said:
Hopefully I wont' make a mistake holding out for the "Telltale" complete pack. I really liked Sam&Max season 1, so I'm willing to wait so I can get Wallace and Gromit, Back to the Future, and the Tales of Monkey Island ones as well!

There's no Telltale complete pack available on Steam right now. I guess they could add it again during one of the big seasonal sales, though.

Aselith

Company of Heroes just started trying to download a 6 gigabyte patch for all three versions. Anyone know what that is? 21 gigs is a whole new game!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom