• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulLFC

Dungeons is 50% off as well... seems very recent for a price drop that big! Does anyone have any impressions of it? Downloading the demo now...

Steam overlay doesn't seem to work with Prince of Persia '08, nor does Steam seem to be tracking my playtime. Not a big deal but kind of annoying since I'd like to be able to take some screenshots. Guess I'll have to look into fraps.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
SneakyStephan said:
I'm going to need a bigger harddrive... 1TB disc at 90percent, fml.
My 2TB Game drive finally past the point where it has over 1TB Full.

Stallion Free said:
Ahahahaha. I think my bro had some and he traded them for like 4-5 rare hats w/ effects. Shit is insane.
There are people willing to pay over $100 for the hat, it is insane. I knew that when trading first started was the best time to get them, but I had nothing at the time I could really offer.

Sober

SapientWolf said:
Bandwidth caps.
Get an external HDD or something, just copy the folders over. Bandwidth caps or not, it's likely faster to just copy the folder over again anyway than downloading it again.

Salsa

jaundicejuice said:
Steam overlay doesn't seem to work with Prince of Persia '08, nor does Steam seem to be tracking my playtime. Not a big deal but kind of annoying since I'd like to be able to take some screenshots. Guess I'll have to look into fraps.

ugh, shit. I want that tracking.

Can you launch the game, alt-tab and launch the launcher again to get at least an idea of how long you are in-game? no screenshot succckkkkksss

XeroSauce

SapientWolf said:
Bandwidth caps.

Steam Backup to an external or disk. Bam, backup and/or physical copy, no bandwidth taken.

And installed from the backup takes just a few minutes. You can even group games in together and only install specific ones if you'd like.

Now if only Steam allowed you to install games to different directories..

SalsaShark said:
HEADS UP:

Gamersgate has a pretty killer deal going on atm that consists of:

http://www.gamersgate.com/img/boximgs/big/DDB-ENTWGOTYE.jpg[/IMG

Empire Total War gold (main game + All DLC) + Napoleon Total War GOTY (main game + All DLC) for a total of [B]16.98 USD[/B]

[url]http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-ENTWGOTYE/empire-and-napoleon-total-war-game-of-the-year-edition-bundle[/url]

[B]both games can (and need to) activate on Steam[/B]

jump on itttt[/QUOTE]
Thanks a ton! I've been waiting for a deal since... Sunday.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Sober said:
Get an external HDD or something, just copy the folders over. Bandwidth caps or not, it's likely faster to just copy the folder over again anyway than downloading it again.
I think ideally you're going to want a 2TB external HDD just for Steam.

Dice said:
Carefully considering Sam & Max... I never really did adventure games, but this might be different...

Wouldn't be the best place to start. At most mildly funny with strange and boring puzzles. I admit I have only played the two first episodes of the first season but wasn't impressed. Better off trying Beneath the Steel Sky, which is free to download. Old game but still enjoyable to this day.

DeVeAn

I really enjoyed Sam & Max Penal Zone. Tempted to grab the entire collection. Probably won't play them anytime soon though.

storafötter said:
Wouldn't be the best place to start. At most mildly funny with strange and boring puzzles. I admit I have only played the two first episodes of the first season but wasn't impressed. Better off trying Beneath the Steel Sky, which is free to download. Old game but still enjoyable to this day.

Based on that, you shouldn´t hand out recommendations of not buying the games to other people really. Not that I´m saying that you aren´t allowed, but you really have to played too little of the games. I understand if you choose not to buy them, but this is something else. Eller hur? ;)

Anyway, the first episodes are nowhere near the best ones in the first two seasons, and The Devil's Playhouse is just several classes better than any of the episodes of the first two seaons.

One the best episodes of the first two seasons, S01E04, is free on Steam, and those interested should play that one. And even if you don´t like it, you should still have a look at The Devil's Playhouse.

SalsaShark said:
ugh, shit. I want that tracking.

Can you launch the game, alt-tab and launch the launcher again to get at least an idea of how long you are in-game? no screenshot succckkkkksss

You can alt-tab in and out of the game no problem. I tried re-running the launcher in the background after I was already in-game for a bit but that didn't seem to make a difference. I've played through the tutorial (part of it twice now because the save system is a bit odd), made it to the first real "level" and currently it only shows me playing the game for one minute. Like I said, I think I'll just look into installing fraps for the screenshot function, it's probably what I should be using anyways but the lack of playtime tracking is kind of annoying.

It's a pretty stunning game though, I really love the aesthetic they went for in this game, pity they abandoned it so quickly.

I got a question about the Steam Backup Feature. First what is better to use a disk or external hdd? Also can i back up any of my games or is it specific to certain games? And last how much faster is it compared to re downloading it? Do you just install the game?

Salsa

First Terraria and now this..

icFKra.PNG

this library view is ruined :(

:p

Stallion Free said:
Ahahahaha. I think my bro had some and he traded them for like 4-5 rare hats w/ effects. Shit is insane.

Drkirby said:
There are people willing to pay over $100 for the hat, it is insane. I knew that when trading first started was the best time to get them, but I had nothing at the time I could really offer.
I'll up my offer . . . I'll buy TellTale Complete even though I already have several of the games if you give me the damn bunny ears.

You listening TellTale & Valve?!?!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Snuggler said:
no, real men use small mode

so compact and efficient
One could say many things of this statement.

Mother of God, you right. I have it in my top left and my FL in the top right fml

Xavien

OMG Uplink, i didn't even know it was available on Steam :O

Bought!

Not getting settlers mostly due to the awful DRM that they used :/

StuBurns

Banned
Very glass half full. Maybe they just want a different style icon, they're not conformist, fight the machine!

I have detail view myself, but then I have like ten games.

Opinions/descriptions of Uplink?

I've looked at it a few times in Steam before and have been interested, but it hasn't been on sale (that I've seen) before now.

Sell me on this game.

DJ_Lae

Syphon Filter said:
I got a question about the Steam Backup Feature. First what is better to use a disk or external hdd? Also can i back up any of my games or is it specific to certain games? And last how much faster is it compared to re downloading it? Do you just install the game?

I used to use the backup feature - now I just go into my Steam folder and copy a particular game's folder onto my network drive, and copy it back into Steam when I want to play it again. You may have to restart Steam to get it to see the files, though.

I find the backup process takes forever and doesn't compress the game much either, but maybe I'm the only one who does it this way.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
RadicalRad said:
Is Settlers worth getting? I'm seeing lackluster reviews on the internet, not that I'm one to follow reviews.

It's my favorite Settlers game. It's really excellent if you're into those types of games.

Sblargh

Banned
RadicalRad said:
Is Settlers worth getting? I'm seeing lackluster reviews on the internet, not that I'm one to follow reviews.

As far as I researched, the bad reviews come not from the game but from what is the worst DRM ever designed by the evil in the human soul. You need to stay online at all times in order to play even the single player portion of the game.
I almost didn't bought because of this, not that I think it will screw me that much, but I'm sure it will screw me eventually and giving money to that horrible practice makes me feel dirty.
As the game itself, seems like an excellent city-builder with a medieval theme; some reviewers complained about too much micromanagement.

Sinatar said:
It's my favorite Settlers game. It's really excellent if you're into those types of games.
Why is it your favorite? Dare I ask for a mini-review?

One where it's compared to the greatness that is Settlers 2, if at all possible, my good chum.

SalsaShark said:
First Terraria and now this..

icFKra.PNG

this library view is ruined :(

:p
No categories ruined it to begin with. It's awesome at first and as your collection expands, it gets bloated. Right now, I like putting on the grid every now and then because it's good looking and strangely satisfying but I don't consider it functionnal at all, even with a "small" collection (133 icons).

Plus, I just noticed Tropico and Tropico 2 use the same picture in grid mod. :[

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Danne-Danger said:
Why is it your favorite? Dare I ask for a mini-review?

One where it's compared to the greatness that is Settlers 2, if at all possible, my good chum.

I'm not one for verbose reviews but they basically undid all the damage Settlers 4 - 6 did to the franchise and brought it back to it's roots. It plays like Settlers 2 but with gorgeous graphics and an even more in depth economical model.

Salsa

Palette Swap said:
No categories ruined it to begin with. It's awesome at first and as your collection expands, it gets bloated. Right now, I like putting on the grid every now and then because it's good looking and strangely satisfying but I don't consider it functionnal at all, even with a "small" collection (133 icons).

Plus, I just noticed Tropico and Tropico 2 use the same picture in grid mod. :[

236 games here and i still use this view. Love seeing the icons :D

Sinatar said:
I'm not one for verbose reviews but they basically undid all the damage Settlers 4 - 6 did to the franchise and brought it back to it's roots. It plays like Settlers 2 but with gorgeous graphics and an even more in depth economical model.
Well then I'm sold! I tried 6 for a little bit but it didn't feel like Settlers to me, I thought 7 would be more of that, so that's the best news I've ever heard.

ZZMitch

Orellio said:
Yes, but it was "only" 4.5GB for me

Do the devs not know you don't have to redownload half the game for every update? >.<

bah, now it is going to take for ever to download Prince of Persia

Shaneus

Orellio said:
Yes, but it was "only" 4.5GB for me
Ugh, I woke up to that... for all three Commandos games that I have.

PS. Who in the hell doesn't just use "list" mode for Steam? If you prefer the more graphical look then you should stick to using consoles :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom