• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lime

Green Biker Dude said:
what makes far cry 2 special? i feel guilty about considering the possibility of buying an ubisoft game but if it's good i might as well

I personally don't find it that interesting. Sure, it's an open world FPS, but the story and game mechanics are way too flawed to let me prioritize playing the game over so many other much better games. But it might be different for you.

DoctorWho said:
Will buy Far Cry 2 at $5.00.

meanwhile, in continental Europa: 7,5 euro for FC2..

Not that I would buy FC2 at any price though. I fucking hated that game when I played. Unless the voiceactors actually use pauses between sentences on PC or some other big improvement. Like no respawning guards....

mileS

FC2 would be a much better game if it wasn't for the terrible AI and the "spawn right on top of you" guard posts. You can't enjoy exploring the world for no longer than 3 minutes at a time before a Jeep loaded with dudes and a turret are fucking your shit up.

I know it's been up for a day now, but...

Apart from the original game, I didn't have anything from Sam and Max. I think it's about time I had EVERYTHING from Sam and Max. :) Hard to resist 16 games for 17 bucks.

Lime

someguyinahat said:
I know it's been up for a day now, but...

Apart from the original game, I didn't have anything from Sam and Max. I think it's about time I had EVERYTHING from Sam and Max. :) Hard to resist 16 games for 17 bucks.

And they're pretty good. Like bit-sized meals. Too bad about the audio compression (dialogue sounds like fucking shit. There is a special place in Hell for Telltale's audio engineer)

TheExodu5

Banned
Lime said:
And they're pretty good. Like bit-sized meals. Too bad about the audio compression (dialogue sounds like fucking shit. There is a special place in Hell for Telltale's audio engineer)

Yeah...I've only played 2 episodes, but the audio sounds downright terrible.

Lime

TheExodu5 said:
Yeah...I've only played 2 episodes, but the audio sounds downright terrible.

As far as I've gathered on the Internet, the problem persists in Season 2, Back to the Future and some the Monkey Island episodes. I have no idea what the hell Telltale was thinking: Even I could better audio quality by running that stuff through Audacity and it would only take 1 hour to achieve far better quality than the current stuff.

This thread expands upon the issue:

First a bit of background: Telltale's series prior to ToMI exhibited noticeable voice quality problems and the problem reached its peak with the second episode of ToMI, when enough people complained that Telltale released a new version with much improved voice quality. Fortunately that improved quality was upheld for the rest of the season, and I also noticed no significant problems with Sam & Max Season 3.

However for the first episode of BttF the problem is back. There is significant overcompression and/or distortion that is most (but not only) evident on the letter "s", especially when spoken by female characters. Obviously this isn't a complete showstopper but it is very annoying, and at least for me it has a significant impact on my enjoyment of the game.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
FarCry 2? Fuckit, let's buy both.

The amount of sales on Steam at the moment is fucking crazy, it's amazing.

Sanjay

Blizzard said:
I probably have FC and/or FC2 from some previous sale. However, I seem to remember that someone (Sanjay?) had a hilarious description of respawning clown cars full of enemies.(

I dunno why but I just thought of Benny hill and Yakety Sax being played when I read this but yeah I don't remember what it was but I do recall some funny analogy about that game.

The game is good but it was just let down by poor design choices.

Sober

Wow, okay weird. I bought the Sam and Max collection and then started with 101, but all the graphics are completely messed up. Still trying different settings, windowed mode but nothing changes. Verified the cache but it mostly just did that to restore default resolution settings and stuff.

Looks like THIS right now. Got the latest Catalyst drivers so not really sure what's going on here...

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Lime said:
This thread expands upon the issue:
LOL @ people trying to be "fair" and say oh it's hard to sound good on a wide range of systems. It's utter garbage and the extent to which you hear it is going to be to the extent that you are using quality audio equipment. Put through my $1k+ of headphone equipment Max sounds like he's talking through a cicada's ass.

I honestly can't believe nobody provides a warning about this with their recommendations of the series.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Far Cry 1 is good for like the first quarter of the game.

Far Cry 2 is good for about the same amount of time and then it you see the flaws and they piss you off.

Lime

Dice said:
LOL @ people trying to be "fair" and say oh it's hard to sound good on a wide range of systems. It's utter garbage and the extent to which you hear it is going to be to the extent that you are using quality audio equipment. Put through my $1k+ of headphone equipment Max sounds like he's talking through a cicada's ass.

I honestly can't believe nobody provides a warning about this with their recommendations of the series.

Official forums always have the biggest amount of apologists.

And I agree that the issue should be on its Store page, imo. It's too negligent to not warn about the issue.

Echoplx

Stallion Free said:

Far Cry 2 is good for about the same amount of time and then it you see the flaws and they piss you off.

I would really love to see where Crytek would have taken the series had they kept the IP :(

Just curious, did anyone choose to play FC2 without using quicksave/load (which I assume console versions didn't have)?

A lot of the reviews hyped up the anything could happen nature of the game (partners dying, etc.) but using quicksave can all but nullify this. I felt like I wasn't seeing all these suspenseful encounters that people were talking up.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Lime said:
Official forums always have the biggest amount of apologists.

And I agree that the issue should be on its Store page, imo. It's too negligent to not warn about the issue.
The only way I can play them is to play over my speakers to get some distance from my ears, turn the treble all the way down and the bass all the way up.

Blizzard

Banned
Sanjay said:
I dunno why but I just thought of Benny hill and Yakety Sax being played when I read this but yeah I don't remember what it was but I do recall some funny analogy about that game.

The game is good but it was just let down by poor design choices.
It took a while but I finally found it!

SapientWolf said:
Far Cry 2 is basically the anti-Crysis. You're the perpetual hapless victim in some godforsaken African country and everything and everyone is trying to kill you. Your guns suck, you have malaria, and you're constantly being hunted by packs of armed men in jeeps. It's like a slapstick comedy with one joke and it goes on for about 15 hours.

:lol

DigiMish

EphemeralDream said:
Just curious, did anyone choose to play FC2 without using quicksave/load (which I assume console versions didn't have)?

A lot of the reviews hyped up the anything could happen nature of the game (partners dying, etc.) but using quicksave can all but nullify this. I felt like I wasn't seeing all these suspenseful encounters that people were talking up.

You don't have to use it just because it's there.

Ledsen

Lime said:
Shogun 2 is worth every penny/cent/euro. Contender for GOTY 2011 along with Witcher 2. It's that good.

Why are you spouting shit you don't know about?
Why are you being a foulmouthed asshole for no reason? Lords of Shadow isn't on PC.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Ledsen said:
Why are you being a foulmouthed asshole for no reason? Lords of Shadow isn't on PC.
Jesus I wish it was. I picked up the PS3 version as it seemed to be the better of the two, but god it is a technological clusterfuck.

nitric0 said:
So I can dl the game only 5x off steam?
No, the DRM was confirmed to have been removed.

Sanjay

Blizzard said:
It took a while but I finally found it!

:lol

lol yeah that it, his description perfectly suits benny hill too and that's why I thought of that.

Stallion Free said:

Hell no, Far Cry 1 is good for at least 60% of the game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Sanjay said:
Hell no, Far Cry 1 is good for at least 60%.
Bullshit, the tridgen were like the Flood from Halo only made significantly more irritating, cheap, and more cunty. And they appear in the 6th of 20 levels IIRC.

Ledsen

Stallion Free said:
Jesus I wish it was. I picked up the PS3 version as it seemed to be the better of the two, but god it is a technological clusterfuck.

No, the DRM was confirmed to have been removed.
Yeah LoS on PC would be epic. I loved the game on 360 but having an acceptable framerate would help it a lot.

coopolon

Lime said:
Why are you spouting shit you don't know about?

Could you give me links for MGS3 on PC? MGS4? Castlevania Harmony of Despair? Lords of Shadow? Judgement? Curse of Darkness? Lament of Innocence? Any Castlevania games made in the last ten years?

gdt5016 said:
Heavily considering FarCry 2...

It's a great game, easily worth the $5 asking price. It does have some really annoying aspects to it, but if you can overlook them, then it's awesome and a pretty unique experience.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
LocoMrPollock said:
Wait until you get a load of the summer sale.

I said load..heh

Oh don't worry i've been using Steam for long enough :p

I just mean for an outside-the-sale time period this is awesome.

Lime

Ledsen said:

Ledsen said:
Because they aren't on pc?

:)

Your wording obviously make it sound like your referering to Konami's catalogue (or at the very least MGS and Castlevania), which clearly consists of PC ports of their games.

Note: I was also being hyperbolic before, so don't mind the inflammatory remarks.

coopolon said:
Could you give me links for MGS3 on PC? MGS4? Castlevania Harmony of Despair? Lords of Shadow? Judgement? Curse of Darkness? Lament of Innocence? Any Castlevania games made in the last ten years?

Read above.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Castlevania Lords of Shadow's art and design is easily some of the best I have ever seen. The locations and scenery in that game absolutely took my breath away.

Clearly it hasn't gotten a PC port yet because it would be just too awesome to have it's graphics running with the power of a modern PC. Konami would have liability issues with brains melting and all that.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
iNvidious01 said:
should i get far cry 2 for £2.50, never played it or the first one. does it even support the 360 pad.
FC2 has nothing to do with the first one and it has good pad support/auto-detection for the 360 pad.

Donos

Liked FarCry 1. Played an hour of FarCry2 (Ubi Deal?) and well ... not good so far. Maybe it will get better but i doubt it.

vermadas

I managed to buy a 4-pack of Hoard before the sale was over. Keeping one for a friend but I have two other copies for $3.75 each via Paypal gift. Send me a PM with Steam ID if interested.

Edit: Never mind. Still have one available.
Edit 2: Pending...

Edit 3: Claimed for real this time

Oreoleo

Donos said:
Liked FarCry 1. Played an hour of FarCry2 (Ubi Deal?) and well ... not good so far. Maybe it will get better but i doubt it.

Do some of the weapon shack missions to unlock better weapons. If the gameplay isn't doing it for you it doesn't really get much better, but having flamethrowers, modern assault rifles and rocket/grenade launchers that don't jam all the time makes the experience less tedious.

And then after that don't do any side missions because there's already too many campaign missions as it is.

1-D_FTW

Stallion Free said:
Bullshit, the tridgen were like the Flood from Halo only made significantly more irritating, cheap, and more cunty. And they appear in the 6th of 20 levels IIRC.

Out of curiosity, when did you play the game? I have good memories of the game (despite the occasionally rage inducing, cheating AI), up to the climax. But I also played it at launch and it was gorgeous at the time. I'd probably rage quit much sooner if I were playing for the first time today.

EDIT: Thinking about the game, I'm beginning to rage all over. Because the programming was so crappy and the rocket guys would constantly shoot themselves with their own rockets, they made them immune to rocket blasts.

Rocket blasts they shot themselves I could mildly understand, but nullifying my rocket launcher (and the most powerful weapon in the game)? Really? I feel the need to RAGE! RAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGE.

Sanjay

OMG Witcher 2 9.4gb update. Please don't tell me they are using the same method as Relic did for Company of Heroes as a means to update the current game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
1-D_FTW said:
Out of curiosity, when did you play the game? I have good memories of the game (despite the occasionally rage inducing, cheating AI), up to the climax. But I also played it at launch and it was gorgeous at the time. I'd probably rage quit much sooner if I were playing for the first time today.

EDIT: Thinking about the game, I'm beginning to rage all over. Because the programming was so crappy and the rocket guys would constantly shoot themselves with their own rockets, they made them immune to rocket blasts.

Rocket blasts they shot themselves I could mildly understand, but nullifying my rocket launcher (and the most powerful weapon in the game)? Really? I feel the need to RAGE! RAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGE.
Played it on release, bought that shit day 1 after super hype from the two demos.

Echoplx

Sanjay said:
OMG Witcher 2 9.4gb update. Please don't tell me they are using the same method as Relic did for Company of Heroes as a means to update the current game.

All the game content is in pack0.dzip so Steam has to re-download the entire file :/

Sanjay said:

GOG version is 1/1000 of that

good news is patch fixed my framerate issues so IMO its worth it (though I bought at gog.com for the digital artbook)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom