• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
SalsaShark said:
only one weekend deal?

THIS IS MADNESS

Steam cant spoil me and then just take the sales away dammit
I can only assume this is sarcasm. There is the weekend deal, the daily deal, the continued Ubi Daily deals, the entire Ubi catalog on sale, and a ton of other games such that there are 100 games listed in the 'specials' listed on the front page.

Nabs

Just picked up Frozen Synapse. I don't know what I'm doing, but I like it so far.

Black Ops just got Mod Support. I guess we're close to getting mod tools.

Quake1028

Since I missed the peen wagging earlier, here are my 2011 Steam Purchases:

Money Spent: $97.47
Games Bought: 27
Average Spent: $3.61

And I didn't count any DLC like the stuff from Borderlans GOTY, Tropico 3, etc. Not bad at all I'd say.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Shambles said:
I don't see why steam would tell me it has securom if it's been removed. I'd like to see some proof of this.
I have installed the game a bunch of times and haven't run out of activations (I have gone past 5), but really I don't care if you buy the game.

Shambles

Stallion Free said:
I have installed the game a bunch of times and haven't run out of activations (I have gone past 5), but really I don't care if you buy the game.

Good to know, I was sitting here hitting F5 waiting to see if you did or not.

Jade Ryan

Banned
Shambles said:
I don't see why steam would tell me it has securom if it's been removed. I'd like to see some proof of this.

Its been removed. Not very hard to confirm, but even before then the info given about the DRM was false. Steam is a little sloppy about keeping their store pages updated for whatever reason.

- You have 5 activations on 3 separate PCs.

- Uninstalling the game "refunds" an activation (this process is called "revoke"). As long as you complete a proper uninstall, you will be able to install the game an unlimited number of times on 3 different systems simultaneously.

- You can upgrade your computer as many times as you want (using our revoke system).

- Ubisoft is committed to the support of our games, and additional activations can be provided on a case-by-case basis.

- Ubisoft is committed to the long term support of our games: you'll always be able to play Far Cry 2!

I've been in the process of backing up all of my games but before I do so I'm verifying each one to make sure they're good, but I've noticed that a couple of games are also downloading a very small file each, always the same size. Metro 2033 and Dark Void Zero, to be exact. Is there a reason some games are download a particular file when verifying?

Oreoleo

Lostconfused said:
Well PC versions of MGS 1 and 2 exist. But I find it hard to believe they would actually port the rest.

Well supposedly they started on a PC port of 3 back in the day. Plenty of PS2 games have PC ports, it wouldn't be difficult. 4 is the one that's hard to swallow.

Whatever ends up getting released, I would buy them all.

Ploid 3.0

I just put $70 into steam and I can't find a game I want (new PC user). What is wrong with me? Started to get that 2D minecraft game but it's online is IP stuff apparently. Witcher 2 was cheaper on amazon.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Ploid 3.0 said:
I just put $70 into steam and I can't find a game I want (new PC user). What is wrong with me? Started to get that 2D minecraft game but it's online is IP stuff apparently. Witcher 2 was cheaper on amazon.
Slow your buying down then. I am heavily into the Witcher 2 right now but I always come back to GTA4 complete amongst many other games in my growing PC lineup.

Ploid 3.0 said:
Inconceivable.

Why not start with the Ubisoft offerings since they are all on sale right now. Do you have the Orange Box? If not, buy it.

Dwayne

Ploid 3.0 said:

You and Me, Portal 2 twin pack.

Oreoleo

Treefingers said:
Hmm wondering what people think of Far Cry 2.

Great atmosphere, decent mechanics, tedious fucking campaign.

Opinions on FarCry2 are quite diverse. There are people who think it's one of the worst games ever, some think its GOTY 2008, most think it's somewhere in the middle. Flawed, but not bad.

DeVeAn

So If I buy the retail Disc of Sega Genesis Collection - Gold Edition, can I register it to steam? I am curious because this Disc includes all the Sonic games as well.

Ploid 3.0

speculawyer said:
Inconceivable.

Why not start with the Ubisoft offerings since they are all on sale right now. Do you have the Orange Box? If not, buy it.

Got Orange Box on PS3 a while ago. Friend gifted Portal 1, and I got a free TF2 from amazon due to $10 bonus.

You and me, portal 2

Already watched DSP (youtube) play through portal 2. The story bits at least.

I'm going to look at Ubisoft stuff, not to into Assassin Creed. I was a bit interested in HAWX, but it didn't have a demo, and I read the game isn't that good.

Edit: I should just play the games I got, and wait on Saints Row 3, and ES: Skyrim.

O.DOGG

Treefingers said:

It depends on how you play it. In my experience I loved it at first, then I thought it was very repetitive and tedious, and dropped it. After a while I decided to give it another chance and it just clicked with me.

If you give it a chance it is probably one of the best games I ever played, certainly one of the best shooters. Incredibly atmospheric, greatly immersive, and a lot of fun when you get into it. At $5 just buy it, you can't go wrong.

Blizzard

Banned
In all fairness, the game looks nice in screenshots and I own FC and FC2, but if there is any consensus it seems to be that the game tends to feature lots of enemies and jeeps, and you have to be okay with that (or stay off the roads?) if you are going to enjoy it. :p

SapientWolf said:
It's digital hazing.
I hope you saw I actually took the time to find your post from an old thread since I loved how it was phrased so much:

SapientWolf said:
Far Cry 2 is basically the anti-Crysis. You're the perpetual hapless victim in some godforsaken African country and everything and everyone is trying to kill you. Your guns suck, you have malaria, and you're constantly being hunted by packs of armed men in jeeps. It's like a slapstick comedy with one joke and it goes on for about 15 hours.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Blizzard said:
I hope you saw I actually took the time to find your post from an old thread since I loved how it was phrased so much:
Yeah, I was a little unhinged. I got hyped up for the title by all the Idle Thumbs podcasts and I put hours into it hoping that the fun part was just around the corner. And it turned out that it was. In another game, which happened to be Crysis. The contrast between the two inspired that rant.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Treefingers said:

Great idea, horrible execution. Every design decision in that game is centered around annoying the player as often as possible.

Hopefully Far Cry 3 (assuming it ever happens) sees as big a jump in quality as Assassin's Creed 2 saw over 1.

Ledsen

Treefingers said:
GOTY 2008. One of the best and most atmospheric shooters ever. The gameplay lends itself very heavily to emergent scenarios, since there are tons of different ways to approach each combat situation depending on your loadout and equipment, time of day, the surrounding terrain etc. Many people say the game is repetitive, but they're simply missing out on the fact that the variation lies not in the mission objectives or story, but in your own ability to change up your tactics and try something new each time. It's a game that rewards creativity with the kind of stories you will be remembering fondly for the rest of your gaming life. And they're all completely unique, just like the game itself. Truly a gem that everyone owes it to themselves to give a fair chance.

onken

Holy fuck I was just thinking of picking up Far Cry today since I lost my disc, logged in fully preparing to pay $10 and I saw this deal. Seriously, mind fucking blown. Picked up FC2 as well of course. Played it a bit on 360 and hated it but hey, I'll give most things a chance for $5.

SmokyDave

Snapped up the Far Cry pack. Perfect timing, as I'm just starting to itch for a second playthrough. Steam makes me warm & fuzzy.

Edit: Is there much likelihood of a Ghost Recon pack? I'm itching to pick a couple of them up but I won't bother if there's going to be a complete pack soon.

Edit Edit: Just found it for £20.09. Will probably grab it anyway.

DeVeAn said:
So If I buy the retail Disc of Sega Genesis Collection - Gold Edition, can I register it to steam? I am curious because this Disc includes all the Sonic games as well.

You can't register it directly to Steam, but if you have one or more Sega Genesis Classics already on your account, you can copy the PAK files from the disc install into your Steam Genesis Classics folder, and it will load them all into the launcher when you open it in Steam.

Basically - I bought Sonic 3/Knuckles on Steam, and later received Sega Mega Drive Classics pack 1 from a PC World deal. I copied the files from the PC World install into the Steam folder, and now they all appear in Steam.

I hope that was coherent.

So I'm looking for a Portal 2 co-op partner that hasn't played any of the co-op campaign yet. I had nowhere else to put this, so: any takers? Mic and Skype a necessity, of course :)

Oreoleo

Kuran said:
Cool, looking forward to it.

Any word on the latest Stalker game being localized? Is it any good?

I'm not sure what you mean. Call of Pripyat is the most recent STALKER game. STALKER 2 is still in development.

Kuran

Banned
Orellio said:
I'm not sure what you mean. Call of Pripyat is the most recent STALKER game. STALKER 2 is still in development.
Ah, I was probably dreaming. I wonder what is in store for us with Stalker 2.

coopolon

Dwayne said:
Late to the Party : Looking for a Portal 2 twin pack buddy. PM me.

Amazon has Portal 2 for $30, and it will register on Steam. Of course the only problem is you'll have to wait for them to ship it to you, but since you're trying to save $5, figured you might be interested in saving $20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom