• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zimbardo

bought Farcry for the $2.50 ...already own Farcry2 from a previous sale.

never played Farcry 1 before tho, and it has a very good metacritic score ...so what the hell.

tried it out briefly ...looks pretty good for an older game, maxed out @ 1080p.

looks like the $2.50 is money well spent.

1-D_FTW

Stallion Free said:
Played it on release, bought that shit day 1 after super hype from the two demos.

Oh, yeah. I think I played the demos like 10 times before the game came out. So good. But I also remember Jeff Green's review where he spent a whole page raging about what bullshit the game was. So I guess I'd prepared myself a bit and was able to muster through up to the climax. The last 3 or so chapters I used the God cheat and still had some difficulty. You know something sucks serious ass when you can't take damage and it's still rage worthy.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
1-D_FTW said:
The last 3 or so chapters I used the God cheat and still had so difficulty. You know something sucks serious ass when you can't take damage and it's still rage worthy.
So when I used god mode and noclip in Half Life 1 and it was annoying as fuck, it really was a problem with the game?

1-D_FTW

Dice said:
So when I used god mode and noclip in Half Life 1 and it was annoying as fuck, it really was a problem with the game?

I'm not going to defend the Zen, but you've clearly never played the anti-climax levels in Farcry. I'm not sure I've ever seen a more ridiculous game in my life. I'm not sure Thresh could have beaten that crap without God mode.

Sanjay

Stallion Free said:
Bullshit, the tridgen were like the Flood from Halo only made significantly more irritating, cheap, and more cunty. And they appear in the 6th of 20 levels IIRC.

I call bullshit on your bullshit of mine. They may have appeared in level 6 but they really weren't part of the game until at least half way and that's when the game-play changed to "ah fuck this"

Rufus

Donos said:
Liked FarCry 1. Played an hour of FarCry2 (Ubi Deal?) and well ... not good so far. Maybe it will get better but i doubt it.
Never pick up enemy weapons unless you really have to. Do some weapons dealer side missions to unlock better gear, as previously suggested, and make a point of picking up fresh gear for each play session, or before you start a mission. Buy Camo, so you're more difficult to spot when you're crouched in tall grass. Also keep in mind that the AI will follow noises, so keep moving if you don't want to get swarmed. You can also use this to your advantage. Stay off the roads if you don't want to run into patrols every five minutes. You can avoid them entirely and you'll find quite a few diamond cases that way, so keep and eye out. Or an ear, in this case. Lastly, experiment: If you're getting tired of your current load out, switch it up. The flare gun can be very effective and the mortar, once you get comfortable with it, is a great 'opener'. The crossbow that's part of the Fortune's Pack (unlocked from the very beginning, takes the heavy weapon slot) is very powerful, if patrols or guard posts are bothering you in the beginning. Explosive bolts are a wonderful thing, but they can make it too easy sometimes. Still: explosive bolts. Man, I love FC2...

Roarer

Rufus said:
Never pick up enemy weapons unless you really have to. Do some weapons dealer side missions to unlock better gear, as previously suggested, and make a point of picking up fresh gear for each play session, or before you start a mission. Buy Camo, so you're more difficult to spot when you're crouched in tall grass. Also keep in mind that the AI will follow noises, so keep moving if you don't want to get swarmed. You can also use this to your advantage. Stay off the roads if you don't want to run into patrols every five minutes. You can avoid them entirely and you'll find quite a few diamond cases that way, so keep and eye out. Or an ear, in this case. Lastly, experiment: If you're getting tired of your current load out, switch it up. The flare gun can be very effective and the mortar, once you get comfortable with it, is a great 'opener'. The crossbow that's part of the Fortune's Pack (unlocked from the very beginning, takes the heavy weapon slot) is very powerful, if patrols or guard posts are bothering you in the beginning. Explosive bolts are a wonderful thing, but they can make it too easy sometimes. Still: explosive bolts. Man, I love FC2...

Aw man, you just made me double-dip on Far Cry 2. Loved it on the 360, and your post reminded me of some of the awesome combat situations I had in that game. Should be an even better experience on my newly built PC!

Oh, and there was this one time in Far Cry 2 when a grenade rolled down a hill and... *bird noises*

Lime

Gloomfire said:
Bump for new page. 20 minutes left!

I think the writing and humour make it worthwhile. The audio quality can be bad at times, but I think it's bearable if you have the willpower to ignore it. But the more audiophile you are, the more distracting the quality can be.

Otherwise you can always wait for the Telltale Complete pack on the next big sale. That's what I did and got all games (Wallace & Gromit, Sam & Max, Texas Hold 'Em Up, Strong Bad, Monkey Island) for 50 euros. But if you haven't got any games to tide you over until then, I think the Sam & Max complete pack is worth it, imo.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I panicked and bought Sam & Max at the last second. Hopefully I won't kick myself later this summer if the Telltale pack goes on sale for dirty cheap!

I think I'll pass on Shogun 2 since I'm not all that interested in the time period and I still have to beat Empire and start Napoleon :\ Maybe if it was 20 bucks or less...

Quake1028

Weenerz said:
Is this a new change to Steam? It's counting down when promotions end from the store when you are on that games page.

Yeah, started this week.

And I did buy Far Cry and Fortix to soothe my itchy trigger fingers ;).

Prophane33

Bought my first game on Steam for this year. Far Cry, for 2.50 it's a steal! It's actually a game I can run, which is a rarity these days. Heck Half Life 2 was the last "big" PC game that I could run at any level.

The chances of Splinter Cell being the Ubisoft daily sale are slowly decreasing.

Also I hated Farcry 1 for that it was nothing more than a glorified techdemo. The combination of our hero wearing a bright red hawaiian shirt in a game that encouraged stealth (and they still see you from the other side of the island), and that a enemy somehow spotted me from inside a warehouse and shot & killed me whilst sneaking outside put me off. Oh yea, the incorporation of aliens wasn't very fun either. Crysis was a big step up.

TheExodu5

Banned
Saitek X52 Pro Flight Control System $175 at Amazon Canada. Didn't want to spend so much on a joystick...but it looks so much nicer than the cheap $50 Thrustmaster one.

Worth it?

I'd buy the MGS bundle if it was priced right. It would be nice if MGS1 came in both the original and Twin Snakes versions but that's probably hoping for too much.

But yeah, sketchy source. I guess we'll find out come E3.

Sanic

Foliorum Viridum said:
So the source is a GAFer and his blog?

Ha, seems right.

Of course all rumors should be taken with a pinch of salt and TTP even says so in his post, but I don't think he would publish the info without a fair bit of confidence. It's not like he's some totally random gaffer; the guy's been around.

I'm interested in seeing how it pans. I would be interested in MGS4, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom