• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

cicero

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
What were the deals M and T? I haven't been paying attention. :(
Daily Deals so far:
May 16: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising (75% off) - $4.99
May 17: Majesty 2 (66% off) - $3.49
May 18: 18 Wheels of Steel: American Long Haul (66% off) - $3.40
May 19: Metal Drift (66% off) - $3.40
May 20: Sniper: Ghost Warrior (75% off) - $5.00
May 21: Peggle Nights (50% off) - $4.99
May 22: Cities XL (66% off) - $6.80
May 23: Mini Ninjas (66% off) - $6.80
May 24: Uplink (66% off) - $3.40
May 25: Hoard (50% off) - $4.99

gotee12

Corky said:
So hows trackmania? I never joined the party back in the day, does it hold up? It it still fun? For singleplayer
I've only spent 2 hours in TM but it seems that MP is not your typical multiplayer race experience. MP appears to be more about hot-lapping with others in real time versus everyone racing for the checkers. In MP, you get dropped in a track with others and you all have a predetermined time limit (like 5 minutes). Everyone then races to see who can get the best hot lap within that 5 minute period. There is no clipping with other drivers in MP. You can still bang the walls/etc. You will see everyone else attempting their hot laps, you just can't hit them nor can they hit you. At the end of the predetermined time limit, whoever had the fastest lap wins.

So really you're either trying to beat your best time (local) or beat the official records (worldwide leaderboards). Sometimes you only see your car on the track (single player). Sometimes you see others attempting their hot laps at the same time (multiplayer).

All in all, I hate that I've just now started playing this game. I've heard quite a lot about it but never took enough interest to download the free client. I'm absolutely loving the game. Best $10 I've spent on Steam so far in 2011.

UrbanRats

I got about 100 medals in the free version, loved that one.
So i bought the full version yesterday, but i still have to get around and play it.

coopolon

I'm into the second set of levels in the free version and I find the jumps pretty frustrating. I know it's because I'm not doing it right, but somehow the gold medal ghost always manages to take the big jumps a lot better even though I'm trying to match his moves as closely as possible.

Is there any degree of air control or is it all determined by the angle/speed you come off the ramp at?

Double D

Been playing POP: Forgotten Sands that I bought on Monday. Before that I had only played Sands of Time and the cel shaded one from a couple years ago. Having a good time with it, especially given the price I paid for it.

UrbanRats

coopolon said:
I'm into the second set of levels in the free version and I find the jumps pretty frustrating. I know it's because I'm not doing it right, but somehow the gold medal ghost always manages to take the big jumps a lot better even though I'm trying to match his moves as closely as possible.

Is there any degree of air control or is it all determined by the angle/speed you come off the ramp at?
break/accelleration works in the air aswell.

ZZMitch

May 24, 2011$6.79
Prince of Persia

May 17, 2011$9.99
Terraria

May 8, 2011$2.50
Medal of Honor: Airborne

Jan 1, 2011$15.41
Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts, Half-Life 2: Episode Two, Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor, Toki Tori, Winterbottom

Jan 1, 2011$2.24
Half-Life 1 Anthology

Jan 1, 2011$7.49
Far Cry Complete

Total = $44.42

Not bad, if this had included most of the holiday sale though... >.<

spicy cho

Mine, including gifts:

January 1st
Mafia II + Mafia II DLC - Jimmys Vendetta + Mafia II DLC Joe's Adventures
Company of Heroes

January 2nd
Indie 2D Pack

January 3rd
Mount and Blade: Warband
GTA IV Complete Bundle

March 21st
Total War: Shogun 2

May 14th
The Witcher 2 (NA)
DiRT 3

Total: $189.90

I've bought a few from d2d that were cheaper, which required steam. For example I preordered shogun 2 from there for myself, then bought it on steam for my roommate. Not bad.

confused

Banned
I'm not going to post the whole list but I spent way over $400. Biggest expenditures were Bulletstorm ($50) and Sims 3 complete ($95)

TheExodu5

Banned
coopolon said:

There is a degree of air control. Also, when you land jumps, you want to make sure your tires are pointed in the direction of your movement, as to avoid leaving any black marks on the ground, which would hurt your speed.

Chris R

Sinatar said:
Just backup your steam folder, or more specifically the steamapps folder in the steam folder.
There won't be any permissions issues? Drag it off, format/install win7, drag the folder back and everything will work?

There's way more than 2 people playing the Non-stadium stuff.

Pro-tip: The multiplayer being what it is means that there's no lag, so you can comfortably play on European servers just fine, which is where you'll find populated United servers.

Echoplx

rhfb said:
There won't be any permissions issues? Drag it off, format/install win7, drag the folder back and everything will work?

yep

might want to use this to backup all your save games though
gsm.duncsweb.com

JackEtc

So do we know what the "SEND!" button does on TrackMania yet? It says a person will get a link to download the game, and that you become their "sponsor". Does this mean they get a link for the entire game that we bought on Steam, or just the free version?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
JackEtc said:
So do we know what the "SEND!" button does on TrackMania yet? It says a person will get a link to download the game, and that you become their "sponsor". Does this mean they get a link for the entire game that we bought on Steam, or just the free version?
I am assuming the free version, maybe you get some in game Money if they buy the game.

1-D_FTW

JackEtc said:

I'm sure it's just the free version.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's been in the game for the longest period. Just an easy way to let a friend get the free version with no fuss.

If you put a game in your cart during a sale, can you just stay on the checkout screen and have a locked in price? (as in persist through the ending of the sale when the price rises to back to normal)

stuminus3

scorpscarx said:
If you put a game in your cart during a sale, can you just stay on the checkout screen and have a locked in price? (as in persist through the ending of the sale when the price rises to back to normal)
Of course not.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
A Far Cry day is what I was most looking forward to. Both games for $7.50 is a steal.

Edit: Also hoping for an Assassin's Creed day so I can get ACII on the cheap. If that doesn't happen, I'll just wait for the mid-year sale.

JaseC

animlboogy said:
Which Far Cry game is the best experience? I'm not talking about tech or any of that stuff, just which one is the most interesting to play?

The original, at least until you reach the later part of the game. It's the little brother of the original Crysis, more or less.

Mrbob

Haha damn I already own all the daily deals going on today.

I'm hoping for a good Ass Creed sale. I have the first one but I wouldn't mind picking up part two if it drops under 10 bucks. Gimme dat 75 percent off UBI!

JaseC

animlboogy said:
Shit, I didn't think of that. I'm not too into the current Tom Clancy games at full price, but I'd be happy to spend some time with them for 75% off.

The Vegas games are quite fun in co-op, albeit rather easy.

fresquito

I bought Far Cry 2 in a four games pack. I liked it at first, graphics are cool (although filters are nasty) and the game makes a huge effort to make you feel like you are there. That said, the game became boring pretty soon: respawning enemies, having to drive the car all the time just to have this short moment of bullets sharing, a boring story with boring characters... another Ubi title where the setting is good but they forgot to make a good game from it.

Kweh

I haven't played a Far Cry game before, is it worth getting both or just Far Cry 2?

fresquito said:
I bought Far Cry 2 in a four games pack. I liked it at first, graphics are cool (although filters are nasty) and the game makes a huge effort to make you feel like you are there. That said, the game became boring pretty soon: respawning enemies, having to drive the car all the time just to have this short moment of bullets sharing, a boring story with boring characters... another Ubi title where the setting is good but they forgot to make a good game from it.

EDIT: ^ Hmmm. Slightly offputting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom