• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
The Broken Ska Record said:
I already have FC1/2. Damn, oh well. There has to be a Tom Clancy day. There just has to.

Assassin's Creed, Rainbow Six and Splinter Cell are practically guaranteed to be the final three days.

Salsa

AFAIK Evil Genius has been down to 1 dollar btw

Far Cry 2 is great, but not for everyone.

I loved it, but i can see how other people didnt.

Scoops

Banned
Defintley didn't like Far Cry 2. Respawning checkpoints, driving around forever, tedious missions. Too bad becasue I liked the open world/survival concept.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Kweh said:
I haven't played a Far Cry game before, is it worth getting both or just Far Cry 2?

EDIT: ^ Hmmm. Slightly offputting.

The original is the better game, however the sequel is worth the current asking price, even with the flaws. I had fun with it on the PS3. Just grab the pack.

1-D_FTW

JaseC said:
The original, at least until you reach the later part of the game. It's the little brother of the original Crysis, more or less.

Can't be stated enough. The game really ends when you
detonate the nuke.
Either quit playing the game at that point, or load in some cheats to plow your way through the anti-climax (And HORRID) chapters.

So I buy all of Telltale's games directly from their site in downloadable form and I just found out they have SecuROM in them with no way to revoke. I'm now tempted to buy the Sam & Max complete pack on sale. :-(

I hate being this OCD, lol.

Salsa

both weeklong deals should be down by today right?

will we get another two simultaneously? seems Shogun 2 is one of them. Where's the other!? I NEED SOMETHING TO BUY

plc268

Dammit... there goes another $5. I've been wanting to play FC2 for a while, but not until it hit $5.

The only other games from Ubisoft that I'd spend money on right now is HAWX 1/2 if they're 75% off.

Ledsen

Kweh said:
I haven't played a Far Cry game before, is it worth getting both or just Far Cry 2?

EDIT: ^ Hmmm. Slightly offputting.
Far Cry 2 is worth it at $60. My GOTY 2008 and one of the most inspiring and freeform fps games ever made. So damn good. Far Cry 2 for life son!

Trin3785 said:
Sweet!! Ill have to wait for that R6 Pack/sale this week. Then some old school tactical action will be going down

Same here, what happened to the genre anyway?

It's no where to be found in recent games.

Edit: Crouch only BLOPS does NOT count. :)

I played FC2 on ps3 and stopped because of YLOD. Are there any mods to fix the respawning enemies? Are there any game fixing mods at all?

If anyone is on the fence about FC2, the map builder is worth the $5.00 alone IMHO.

Ledsen said:
Far Cry 2 is worth it at $60. My GOTY 2008 and one of the most inspiring and freeform fps games ever made. So damn good. Far Cry 2 for life son!

Such varying opinions on this game.

For $5, might as well give it a shot. If I don't like it, I'll say bad things behind your back.

mojiimbo

hawkshockey11 said:
I played FC2 on ps3 and stopped because of YLOD. Are there any mods to fix the respawning enemies? Are there any game fixing mods at all?

If anyone is on the fence about FC2, the map builder is worth the $5.00 alone IMHO.
After reading the steam forums it looks like Ubisoft never put out an SDK so there's little to no single player mods.

fresquito said:
I bought Far Cry 2 in a four games pack. I liked it at first, graphics are cool (although filters are nasty) and the game makes a huge effort to make you feel like you are there. That said, the game became boring pretty soon: respawning enemies, having to drive the car all the time just to have this short moment of bullets sharing, a boring story with boring characters... another Ubi title where the setting is good but they forgot to make a good game from it.
Agree completely. I gave the game a good 10 hours, but it always felt like I was spending way more time driving than engaged in a firefight. The firefights for the most part were fun and well designed but were simply way too spread out.

For those thinking about picking it up, you can take multiple missions on at once so this may help get rid of some of the driving tedium.

Aaron

DoctorWho said:
Such varying opinions on this game.

For $5, might as well give it a shot. If I don't like it, I'll say bad things behind your back.
There is one question that defines how you'll react to FC2: How do you feel about respawning enemies?

Because if you hate respawning enemies, as I do, the game is unplayable. If you can accept the fact that every guy you kill at the checkpoints will be brought back to life literally five minutes after you leave the area then you'll probably have a lot of fun with it.

Zzoram

Wellington said:
Gonna grab FC complete, but I'm intrigued by Evil Genius. Any impressions?

Evil Genius is the most Dungeon Keeper-like game to come out since Dungeon Keeper. You control minions, build an evil lair and elaborate traps, send minions into the world to steal things/people/money to advance your research towards the goal of a doomsday weapon to ransom the world. It's got a James Bond spoof theme to it.

It's really fun IMO.

confused

Banned
Evil genius is a pretty old game by now. Awesome fun though. It has been cheaper in past sales so it's not really an attractive proposition. What the game is about ?

dr-evil.jpg

apana

How come there are so few Konami games on Steam? In particular with Metal Gear Solid and Castlevania, there are no games.

edit: Not even Lords of Shadow which seems like something that would be succesful and it was a recent game made by a western developer.

Karram

Even though Far Cry 2 came with my video card I still bought the complete pack. I was craving for some Far Cry 1 action plus I still have to finish Far Cry 2. Now I'm waiting for a R6 deal.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
apana said:
How come there are so few Konami games on Steam? In particular with Metal Gear Solid and Castlevania, there are no games.
I think with Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2, they may not have great compatablilty with modern machines. I am hoping CDProject can get Konami to put some of their games up on GoG, and that they may trickle over to Steam.

Ledsen

apana said:

edit: Not even Lords of Shadow which seems like something that would be succesful and it was a recent game made by a western developer.
Because they aren't on pc?

Sober

Wellington said:
Gonna grab FC complete, but I'm intrigued by Evil Genius. Any impressions?
Try the demo, it gives a really good taste of what you can do, but the full game obviously has more.

The only thing I don't really like is there are really only 2 levels. I'm not sure if you can apply the community patches to the steam version. Otherwise it's pretty fun and a great change of pace compared to other game settings.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Can I get a Total War price check? I saw that it's cheaper in the UK, but I'm in the US. Is it cheaper than $33 anywhere? What are the odds we'll see it for ~$20 this summer?

Blizzard

Banned
Aaron said:
There is one question that defines how you'll react to FC2: How do you feel about respawning enemies?

Because if you hate respawning enemies, as I do, the game is unplayable. If you can accept the fact that every guy you kill at the checkpoints will be brought back to life literally five minutes after you leave the area then you'll probably have a lot of fun with it.
I probably have FC and/or FC2 from some previous sale. However, I seem to remember that someone (Sanjay?) had a hilarious description of respawning clown cars full of enemies.

Personally, that tends to drive me nuts especially if it happens when I am trying to take a level slowly. That old snow level in Goldeneye 007 for the N64 comes to mind. I'd try to clear out the enemies and find out where I was supposed to go, then bam, new squad of assault rifle guys and snipers running through the snow. =(

Aaron said:

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of respawning enemies at all. Hated it in the first Uncharted.

Meier

FC2 is only $5? :O Guess I'll bite at that. I want to play Shogun Total War but I'll wait until Christmas when I imagine it'll be on sale for much less.

Zzoram

Sober said:
Try the demo, it gives a really good taste of what you can do, but the full game obviously has more.

The only thing I don't really like is there are really only 2 levels. I'm not sure if you can apply the community patches to the steam version. Otherwise it's pretty fun and a great change of pace compared to other game settings.

It's still a really long game. I've played 25 hour games and not actually finished. Usually I just lose near the end when the James Bond type super agent shows up and wrecks me.

Lime

Shogun 2 is worth every penny/cent/euro. Contender for GOTY 2011 along with Witcher 2. It's that good.

Ledsen said:
Because they aren't on pc?

Why are you spouting shit you don't know about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom