• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapstah

I'm not sure if this is the ideal thread to ask this in, but it seems to be the general Steam one. I'm trying to download the Unreal Development Kit from my Tools tab, but Steam is obviously not downloading anything before it says it's done. The pre-install screen says it will download 250-something megabytes but it gets done in an instant. I can't launch it because Steam says "The game is currently unavailable".

Blizzard

Banned
Rapstah said:
I'm not sure if this is the ideal thread to ask this in, but it seems to be the general Steam one. I'm trying to download the Unreal Development Kit from my Tools tab, but Steam is obviously not downloading anything before it says it's done. The pre-install screen says it will download 250-something megabytes but it gets done in an instant. I can't launch it because Steam says "The game is currently unavailable".
I don't know about problems with downloading from the Steam tools tab in general, but by all means download the UDK directly from the UDK website, since there's a monthly beta update and I don't know if Steam's version gets updated regularly. The download speed should be quite good as well.

See http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=430197 for any other details or questions you might have about it. :)

bengraven

I love FC2 more than I ever thought I would.

It goes up with RDR and San An as my #3 favorite free-roaming game, one spot over AC2.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
bengraven said:
I love FC2 more than I ever thought I would.

It goes up with RDR and San An as my #3 favorite free-roaming game, one spot over AC2.
When things click, it's goddamn excellent. The convoy missions are soooo good.

Then the guard posts respawn :(

I swear that is the only thing that holds the game back from being in my top 20.

Mrbob

Since we are waiting for the new sales I'll post a hypothetical question for everyone regarding Railworks.

Let us say the summer sale comes back, and Railworks with all the DLC goes on sale for $49.99! This would be over a 90 percent saving I believe. Do you buy this pack?

I think I would, just to check the game out.

Blizzard

Banned
Mrbob said:
Since we are waiting for the new sales I'll post a hypothetical question for everyone regarding Railworks.

Let us say the summer sale comes back, and Railworks with all the DLC goes on sale for $49.99! This would be over a 90 percent saving I believe. Do you buy this pack?

I think I would, just to check the game out.
I already bought Railworks 2 when it came out (I forget what the price was, $10-30 maybe?) since I thought the developer did a cool move -- when they released Railworks 2, they gave the game for free to everyone who had bought Railworks 1. Of course it makes sense for them to try to keep their customers happy since those few dedicated customers are the ones buying DLC every week. =P

Since I already have the game, if all DLC went on sale...nah probably not, since I prefer never to buy paid DLC in general.

Also, I'm predicting one of the Assassin's Creed games for $20, just to spite you all.

kodt

Banned
Treefingers said:
Hmm wondering what people think of Far Cry 2.

Environment and atmosphere is great. Gunplay is good. I really enjoyed it for the first 3-4 hours.

Annoyances start to impede the gameplay though.

1. Respawning guard posts mean clearing the same post multiple times during the same mission.
2. Repetitive mission structure.

Standing in a field while the wind blows the grass as the sun sets = awesome.

wilflare

is FarCry any good?
I remember when the first FarCry was released, it made all the systems cry with its "cutting-edge" technology or something. those were the days

Mrbob

Blizzard said:
Also, I'm predicting one of the Assassin's Creed games for $20, just to spite you all.

Lol, damn you! I need dat 75 percent off sale for Ass Creed 2. Although it will probably only be 50 percent. :/

Ass Creed was so bad I completly ignored the series since then.

Did they make drastic changes to the formula since the first?

I hated:

• Shitty, shitty boring overworld/whatever that required way too much travel and had nothing to do that was fun
  • Killing dudes the same ways over and over again
  • Like 3 voice actors saying the same things over and over again
  • Awful AI

Probably more but I can't remember.

I do remember it being the worst purchase I've made in a long, long time.

TheExodu5

Banned
SalsaShark said:
nah

i think its been lower than that before

Well the more optimistic sale price would be: $5, $10, and $25, respectively.

gregor7777 said:
Ass Creed was so bad I completly ignored the series since then.

Did they make drastic changes to the formula since the first?

I hated:

• Shitty, shitty boring overworld/whatever that required way too much travel and had nothing to do that was fun
  • Killing dudes the same ways over and over again
  • Like 3 voice actors saying the same things over and over again
  • Awful AI

Probably more but I can't remember.

I do remember it being the worst purchase I've made in a long, long time.

The second game is way better, but it doesn't necessarily fix all those gripes. It drags on a bit too long, IMO, but it was still well worth playing.

TheExodu5

Banned
gregor7777 said:
Hmmm, for ~$5-7 I might give the sequel a shot then. Controller supported?

No native 360 controller prompts, but the wired 360 controller is supported. The wireless one is not, annoyingly (triggers don't work).

LocoMrPollock said:
Is it confirmed to be Ass day, or are we just speculating?

Speculating. I thought this was the last day of sales though...it seemed there are 2 more days after this. I'd probably expect Assassin's Creed on the last day, in that case.

Today will be something like IL-2, Rainbow Six, or Splinter Cell...probably.

TheExodu5 said:
No native 360 controller prompts, but the wired 360 controller is supported. The wireless one is not, annoyingly (triggers don't work).

ffs

I have a wireless. Sorry, Ubi, you've failed me again.

I would love Assassin's Creed sale today so that I can get it installed and have the whole 3 day weekend to enjoy it. But most likely the AC sale will be on Sunday...

Mrbob

gregor7777 said:
ffs

I have a wireless. Sorry, Ubi, you've failed me again.

I don't know what the issue is with wireless 360 controller and support...why doesn't it always work just like a wired controller?

I'd just grab a wired controller since you can usually find them on the cheap. It can help save any control headaches if the wireless isn't properly supported.

TheExodu5

Banned
Mrbob said:
I don't know what the issue is with wireless 360 controller and support...why doesn't it always work just like a wired controller?

Yeah, it's quite annoying. I had issues with the wireless controller in several games and emulators. I picked up a wired controller a few months ago. The wired controller also supports the XBCD drivers, which is nice.

Mrbob said:

I'd just grab a wired controller since you can usually find them on the cheap. It can help save any control headaches if the wireless isn't properly supported.

You see, I game on the PC hooked up to my big screen/comfy couch/360 controller combo. Single player (console port) games only, of course. kb/m on the smaller screen, otherwise.

So I'm like 20ft from my PC, and it would be really inconvenient to have the controller cord going across the room, even if it had some kind of extension cord.

This is the first time I've run into an issue with the wireless 360 pad.

Salsa

interesting.. seems i should get a wired one then

was about to buy the wireless version

I was hoping to use it from my bed, so the chord's gonna be kind of an issue :/

Blizzard

Banned
Mrbob said:

For what it's worth (I wrote custom filter drivers to support the chatpad on the wired controller), the wireless controller shows up way differently to the PC than the wired one.

I still haven't bought a wireless controller and dongle to even see if it's possible to get wireless support working. From what I recall from other people testing, though, the wireless dongle shows up as a USB device with four endpoints, one for each possible controller (player 1/2/3/4), and there's some magical wireless-specific communication protocol that goes on there. The wired controller, on the other hand, shows up as this nice set of endpoints, like one for controller data, one for chatpad data etc.

Plus of course the device codes are also going to be different in device manager, and when you parse through game controllers you might have to take different device codes into account.

I'm not sure any of this explains why the triggers wouldn't work and the rest would, though. Kinda odd.

SalsaShark said:

It looks like the wired cord is 9 feet which has always been plenty for me, but if you're 20 feet across the room then it could be a problem.

TheExodu5

Banned
Blizzard said:
I'm not sure any of this explains why the triggers wouldn't work and the rest would, though. Kinda odd.

It's because the triggers are seen as a Z-axis, so the game needs to specifically have support for them as buttons.

Stallion Free said:
IIRC, AC2 showed the correct button prompts for my wired 360 pad.

It shows button prompts, but not 360 controller button prompts. No ABXY, just the game specific button indicators.

TheExodu5 said:
It's because the triggers are seen as a Z-axis, so the game needs to specifically have support for them as buttons.

It shows button prompts, but not 360 controller button prompts. No ABXY, just the game specific button indicators.

Do you remember what other games had issues with the wireless pad?

wallbc01

Neo Member
i pulled the trigger on the farcry pack this morning. i played farcry 2 on ps3 and like it and wanted to try some new games out when i build my new pc in the next month or so.

Blizzard

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
I could have sworn the wired controller acts the same way, though. I did that exact thing, actually -- you can remap the shoulder buttons with my driver but I have thus far been too lazy to implement mapping the triggers. =P

TheExodu5

Banned
Blizzard said:
I could have sworn the wired controller acts the same way, though. I did that exact thing, actually -- you can remap the shoulder buttons with my driver but I have thus far been too lazy to implement mapping the triggers. =P

It does act the same way. The problem is that the game needs to specifically support this behavior for each controller. Assassin's Creed supports it for the wired controller, but not for the wireless one. This is Ubisoft's fault.

Still, even if a game doesn't support the controller specifically, you can use the XBCD drivers with the wired controller to turn the triggers into buttons. You can't do this with the wired controller. There are apparently difficulties in writing a custom driver for the wireless controller.

gregor7777 said:
Do you remember what other games had issues with the wireless pad?

Mainly emulators (and well, older games that don't have native 360 controller support). In most games where I use my 360 controller, there is native support built in. Assassin's Creed is one of the few with no native support.

SalsaShark said:

FWIW, I've played a lot of games with the wireless and this is the first issue I've heard of.

Dead rising 2 immediately comes to mind.

That one hurts.

nyong

Banned
I'd like to see a Tom Clancy day. Give me HAWX and Splinter Cell on the same day. Or just HAWX. I've been aching for a good flight game lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom