• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
caliblue15 said:
Thought it would, just wanted to make sure before buying it, that way I have unlimited downloads of the game and it works with steam easily.

Thanks

I bought the game yesterday in the afternoon from the THQ store and added it to steam in the evening. Definitely works.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So I had to fight this rocket pack guy and he was being annoying making me have to run away every 10 seconds, so I had my scouts send an airstrike on him and it killed him but it also killed my other 3 squads around him, whoops! lol

Kabouter

Blizzard said:
http://www.abload.de/img/x3_1xg30.png[img]

[img]http://www.abload.de/img/x3_2eina.png[img]

Ah, it's so good to see this sort of complicated, 100-page manual with insane controls. It brings back memories of the X-Wing game(s). :D

(X3: Terran Conflict...just started, and I've spent like 20 minutes moving my ship around and figuring out how to target and use autopilot)[/QUOTE]
Also just started myself, and what I love about it is that if you choose the easiest start, as might be expected of new players, you are unable to complete the training with the starting loadout. In fact, you can't progress beyond basic movement stuff because you don't have weapons.

Blizzard

Banned
Kabouter said:
Also just started myself, and what I love about it is that if you choose the easiest start, as might be expected of new players, you are unable to complete the training with the starting loadout. In fact, you can't progress beyond basic movement stuff because you don't have weapons.
Nice...I suppose you can do things out of order, but a beginning player presumably wouldn't expect that. I haven't even figured out how to buy more missiles yet. The game may end up being too complicated for me to take the time for, actually. XD

The thing that took me the longest with the training was seeing the tiny little debris crates, especially the first one when the guy says something like "it's next to me". The first time, I did not see it (and may not have realized it even had a tiny blue square around it) so I kept retrying the mission, and as far as I can figure out, it never moves from its original position unless perhaps you quit and reload the map area. So, the flight school ship might be in a totally different spot from the tiny little crate, and then the flight school ship is moving while you are supposed to find the little chunk of debris.

The target-nearest-enemy shortcut did not seem to work for me, but the buttons to cycle through targets seem very useful so I may end up using those. I have not figured out if the 't' tracking button actually does anything useful or not.

graywolf323 said:
looks like the Railworks Complete DLC Pack is back

for all you train addicts
Even at 81% off, it seems completely crazy. You can buy complete packs from a couple different publishers for that $200.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Looking at the Registry, there is going to be anther Square Complete pack sometime this month (It is called "Square Complete Pack - Feb 2011). One thing of note, it comes with Dungeon Siege 3 (Which is odd, since it shouldn't come out till May. Maybe you get a paid preorder?)

Oddly, there are new entires for GTA VC and SA, wonder what those are about.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Dice said:
So I had to fight this rocket pack guy and he was being annoying making me have to run away every 10 seconds, so I had my scouts send an airstrike on him and it killed him but it also killed my other 3 squads around him, whoops! lol
Consider them sacrifices for the Emperor.

I wish the game kept tabs on how many of the red shirt marines get killed.

caliblue15 said:
Any thoughts on the King Arthur Game?
I've only played a little of it so far but I REALLY like what I've played: a great mix of strategy, tactics, and RPG. I like the mythological elements as well.

graywolf323

Diebuster said:
It'll work. Steamworks games only use Steam, no matter where they're bought.

there are some exceptions

Global Agenda - Note: Keys purchased directly from the Global Agenda website cannot be registered on Steam.
R.U.S.E. - Note: R.U.S.E. keys from Ubisoft's Digital River service are not accepted on Steam
Torchlight - Note: Only keys purchased directly from Runic Games or Perfect World prior to May 19th, 2010 can be registered on Steam.

kamspy

graywolf323 said:
there are some exceptions

Global Agenda - Note: Keys purchased directly from the Global Agenda website cannot be registered on Steam.
R.U.S.E. - Note: R.U.S.E. keys from Ubisoft's Digital River service are not accepted on Steam
Torchlight - Note: Only keys purchased directly from Runic Games or Perfect World prior to May 19th, 2010 can be registered on Steam.

I should add that F.E.A.R. 2 keys bought from Game For Windows Live Marketplace don't activate on Steam either.

I got buuuurned.

caliblue15 said:
Any thoughts on the King Arthur Game?
Liking it so far, but I only spent a brief amount of time with it. Battles remind me of the Empire series. You can advance your heroes and units, which is a nice touch.

Barbarian

Really depends what type of game you are looking for. Even though it is marketed as a "role playing strategy game," it is 95% strategy game and 5% RPG. The RPG elements boil down to little text-based quests.

In other words, I wouldn't jump on this if you are primarily interested in the RPG elements.

EDIT: Talking about King Arthur.

LegoDad

Barbarian said:
Really depends what type of game you are looking for. Even though it is marketed as a "role playing strategy game," it is 95% strategy game and 5% RPG. The RPG elements boil down to little text-based quests.

In other words, I wouldn't jump on this if you are primarily interested in the RPG elements.

EDIT: Talking about King Arthur.

was wanting more strategy than RPG, so that works, it's only 2.99 it can't be that bad of a game. Into the backlog it goes.

I'm liking the branching objectives and chapters in King Arthur. So far I've been going more with the Tyrant path. The rewards seem to be a lot more useful and it's just more fun, imo.

Anyway, any registry hackers have any idea what the midweek deal is gonna be?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Should've had a weekend sale before the price drop, or just something to get attention. I've honestly never heard of it, and it came out a week ago.

Still, it's a MOBA game, which means I'm already interested.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Well, at least it says it has Multiplayer, but does it have Online Multiplayer? If so, I could see picking this up when it goes on sale.

On the news of stuff in the Registry, it looks like there is going to be a Dawn of War complete pack, which comes with Retribution. Also has an entry for a Retribution Beta in it, so you may get some sort of beta pass into the new expansion too.

graywolf323

Drkirby said:
Well, at least it says it has Multiplayer, but does it have Online Multiplayer? If so, I could see picking this up when it goes on sale.

On the news of stuff in the Registry, it looks like there is going to be a Dawn of War complete pack, which comes with Retribution. Also has an entry for a Retribution Beta in it, so you may get some sort of beta pass into the new expansion too.

loved the YDKJ games on PS1 so I'll consider getting this new one when it goes on sale :D

and why can't I figure out how to view the registry >_<

Blizzard

Banned
Drkirby said:

...the Retribution beta has been out for a while, and I think they mentioned it was going into open beta this next week or two. All you had to do before was send a halfway creative email to the community people asking for a key. I got one in like 14 minutes.

xyla said:
Any Impressions on Dungeons so far?

I will download the demo, but I'm capped at 100kb/s atm so it will take a while.

It was pretty shitty. Judging by the demo anyway.

They probably should've just went ahead and copied Dungeon Keeper.

deleted

LocoMrPollock said:
It was pretty shitty. Judging by the demo anyway.

They probably should've just went ahead and copied Dungeon Keeper.

So I'll tone done my excitement for the game just a bit :(
I was looking forward to Dungeons, because the DK formula is fantastic and not copied very often.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
xyla said:
So I'll tone done my excitement for the game just a bit :(
I was looking forward to Dungeons, because the DK formula is fantastic and not copied very often.

It only looks like Dungeon Keeper, it's actually a tower defense game.

amrod

Drkirby said:
You don't say.

Why the hell does it say the normal price for Dawn of War: Winter Assault is $60.

Dunno trying to figure out if its worth getting If I already have Dawn of War II / Chaos rising ...

luxarific

Nork unification denier
amrod said:
Dunno trying to figure out if its worth getting If I already have Dawn of War II / Chaos rising ...

Wait until the THQ Pack goes on sale at Mid-Summer/New Year's - you get all the DoW games, plus almost every other game that THQ has published (they typically don't include their newest game - at Midsummer it probably won't include Homefront, for example). Last New Year's sale it was $49.99 for everything. And if you already have DoW II you can re-gift it (but not Chaos Rising).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The final 1.51 patch for Battlefield 2142 is finally out officially so I suspect the game will go up soon on Steam. The patch includes the Northern Strike DLC that released after the main game for all users (free). It also includes 4 other new maps that are either remakes or community maps bringing the total up to 20.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Stallion Free said:
The final 1.51 patch for Battlefield 2142 is finally out officially so I suspect the game will go up soon on Steam. The patch includes the Northern Strike DLC that released after the main game for all users (free). It also includes 4 other new maps that are either remakes or community maps bringing the total up to 20.

It gets a lot of undeserved shit due to the crappy demo, but it's the best Battlefield game IMO.

deleted

Sinatar said:
It only looks like Dungeon Keeper, it's actually a tower defense game.

I guess you could say that.

Some Dungeons Demo Impressions:
Just played the first two mission from the demo. While I really like the art direction, I just don't get some of the design decisions. I don't like the time pressure, as there is a constant stream of heroes coming into your dungeon and you can't get all of them when you want to stray around for a bit. Thats an element straight out of TD - Open the Doors and let the wave start.
You can only change you POV to your Dungeon Lord which you can also level up like an Action RPG Character including three talent trees. He is used for fighting and he is also your avatar to interact directly with your surroundings - for example activate switches or open doors.
There are many scrolls to find and spells to use, so you can customize your playstyle quite a bit I guess (Its just the demo, so there are only a handful available).
From what I've seen so far the levels where pre-build and you just had to connect the rooms via your goblins. I guess that is a restriction of the tutorial level and you will later be able to let your inner architect free and build wherever you want though.
The biggest letdown so far is that I was unable to pick my monsters up and put them where I need them. Goblins need far too long until they finally get to the wall I wanted them to tear down 5 min ago.

The humor is good enough for this kind of game, comparable to Overlord imo, but not quite as wacky and far behind DK. Good translation from what I've seen, but you can't change the language in the game, german windows installation means german Dungeons. I just don't like it when the devs don't let you choose.

I will play the demo to the end and I will start a skirmish match too, but so far I'm a bit disappointed. Expected DK with a fresh twist, got DK meets Diablo meets TD - but not really fleshed out. Not what I expected at all, but not a bad game either.
These impressions are based on half an hour playtime, so its not enough to properly judge this game, I can just recommend to adjust your expectations away from a DK clone and try the demo, maybe its exactly the right game for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom