• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

vocab

Sinatar said:
It gets a lot of undeserved shit due to the crappy demo, but it's the best Battlefield game IMO.

I played that multiplayer for at least 10 hours. Sidi plant isn't the best showcase of the games capabilities.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Sinatar said:
It gets a lot of undeserved shit due to the crappy demo, but it's the best Battlefield game IMO.
Yeah if they price it right, I'll do the Steam double-dip. I never did get to play Northern Strike (which had an awesome trailer), but I don't feel like reinstalling via disk.

vocab

Stallion Free said:
Yeah if they price it right, I'll do the Steam double-dip. I never did get to play Northern Strike (which had an awesome trailer), but I don't feel like reinstalling via disk.

The funny thing was the best perks from northern strike were available for everyone. There was almost no reason to buy it.

Javaman

Stallion Free said:
The final 1.51 patch for Battlefield 2142 is finally out officially so I suspect the game will go up soon on Steam. The patch includes the Northern Strike DLC that released after the main game for all users (free). It also includes 4 other new maps that are either remakes or community maps bringing the total up to 20.

I am sooo going to double dip on that when it hits steam. Has BF1942 and the expansions shown up in the registry yet?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Javaman said:
I am sooo going to double dip on that when it hits steam. Has BF1942 and the expansions shown up in the registry yet?
Oh this hasn't shown up in the registry, I'm just basing this on it following the exact same pattern that BF2 and the confirmation that 2142 would eventually hit Steam.

Remy

Could someone who bought YDKJ confirm whether this deal-breaker is true?

Key features:
Up to Two players on the same computer
Genetically engineered with over 70 Episodes & over 15 hours of cranium-contorting questions.
Like that? Want more? Play favorite question types including DisOrDat™ and The Jack Attack™.
Long-lasting flavor with hundreds of questions that stay crunchy... even in MILK!
Taunt your opponents with more fun features like Screw Your Neighbor™ and the Wrong Answer of the Game!
Let the frivolity ensue with insane animation, hi-octane music, and hilarious wisecracks from your lovable yet verbally sassy host.
Lightning-fast gameplay – Don’t drag your pants! The quicker you buzz in, the more cash you win or lose!

The console versions are four player and have online play. Local only with TWO players for a PC version of Jack is inconceivable. I hope this is just a typo.

Joe Molotov

Remy said:

The console versions are four player and have online play. Local only with TWO players for a PC version of Jack is inconceivable. I hope this is just a typo.

Steam forums confirms that the pooch has been screwed, 2-player local only. Also no controller support. Good jon.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is there any way to have prettier icons for non-steam games that you launch through steam?

and is there a site like steamgamesales that you can create a wishlist/backlog and it'll alert you when those titles are on sale? I have a ton of stuff I'm interested in but don't need right now, so I can wait until they're on offer.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Joe Molotov said:
Steam forums confirms that the pooch has been screwed, 2-player local only. Also no controller support. Good jon.
What the hell were they thinking? Even if they couldn't include online they should at least manage to get 4 player local.

poppabk said:
What the hell were they thinking? Even if they couldn't include online they should at least manage to get 4 player local.

They were probably thinking "It's a pain in the ass for four people to crowd around a keyboard, and the PC doesn't support multiple controllers simultaneously very gracefully".

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Remy said:

It's not online, really odd decision.
But, to be honest unless you are playing with friends, and know it's their first time, it's kind of pointless to play with random people.

poppabk

platypotamus said:
They were probably thinking "It's a pain in the ass for four people to crowd around a keyboard, and the PC doesn't support multiple controllers simultaneously very gracefully".
In which case they would be wrong. I can plug my two classic controller pros in without any problem and I assume I could connect my 360 controller as well to give 4/5 controller options at least.

This may be the wrong thread but has anyone had issues trying to boot Mirrors Edge in Win7 x64? I double-click and it either doesn't even load, or it quickly pops up with the "this program encountered an error, send to crash info to..." window.

It's getting frustrating, I had it working before, but since re-formatting I can't get it to run.

John

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
This may be the wrong thread but has anyone had issues trying to boot Mirrors Edge in Win7 x64? I double-click and it either doesn't even load, or it quickly pops up with the "this program encountered an error, send to crash info to..." window.

It's getting frustrating, I had it working before, but since re-formatting I can't get it to run.
i had that on xp32, but six months later i tried and it works on my 7x64 partition. i never found a way around it, i think you're screwed :x

John said:
i had that on xp32, but six months later i tried and it works on my 7x64 partition. i never found a way around it, i think you're screwed :x

Weird, it's worked on my Win 7 partitions before. Not sure what's wrong here. Thanks anyway!

poppabk said:
In which case they would be wrong. I can plug my two classic controller pros in without any problem and I assume I could connect my 360 controller as well to give 4/5 controller options at least.

Fair enough, and what percentage of the PC customer base would you say you represent there?

poppabk

platypotamus said:
Fair enough, and what percentage of the PC customer base would you say you represent there?
That have 2 USB controllers and a keyboard? I would think that most people would have at least 1 controller, 2 probably isn't that uncommon.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
poppabk said:
That have 2 USB controllers and a keyboard? I would think that most people would have at least 1 controller, 2 probably isn't that uncommon.
I have two 360 pads exclusively for my PC. It's quite lovely using them on games like Blur, Split/Second, Lara Croft, the Lego games and other PC games that support same-screen/split-screen co-op.

Blizzard

Banned
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:

It certainly works in Win7 x64 for me. You would probably have to go forum-hopping, or try clearing the files and reinstalling.

Actually, random question, do you happen to have any other games that use PhysX, like maybe the Mass Effect games? You might have some bizarre situation where you have to reinstall/get the proper version of PhysX even if you don't use it in Mirror's Edge.

Anyway, google, and maybe PhysX and/or reinstalling the game, are probably your only hope. :(

Sanjay

Stallion Free said:
I have two 360 pads exclusively for my PC. It's quite lovely using them on games like Blur, Split/Second, Lara Croft, the Lego games and other PC games that support same-screen/split-screen co-op.

DualShock 3 is extremely lovely on the PC too. The added benefit of having a d-pad that works is a marvellous idea.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Sanjay said:
DualShock 3 is extremely lovely on the PC too. The added benefit of having a d-pad that works is a marvellous idea.
How's it working out for you in Magicka?

LocoMrPollock said:
I'd rather have the two functioning triggers. Use them more often that the d-pad.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

poppabk

LocoMrPollock said:
I'd rather have the two functioning triggers. Use them more often that the d-pad.
Yeah that's the downside to the classic controller pro, no analog triggers.

Sanjay

Stallion Free said:
How's it working out for you in Magicka?

Not particularly well with a pad nor mouse and keyboard set-up but that's due to how the game handles spell casting which I dislike.

LocoMrPollock said:

Like I said where a game uses the d-pad, steering becomes far more important to me then the sense of immersion with accelerating and breaking with triggers.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Sanjay said:
Not particularly well with a pad nor mouse and keyboard set-up but that's due to how the game handles spell casting which I dislike.

Like I said where a game uses the d-pad, steering becomes far more important to me then the sense of immersion with accelerating and breaking with triggers.
Oh Sanjay.

graywolf323

Sanjay said:

I've never quite figured out how to get my dualshock 3 to work with Windows 7 64-bit :-(

Blizzard

Banned
Sanjay said:
I just asked somebody I know about it, and they said the game is pretty fun, but the controls are kind of hard to get used to. They are using mouse and keyboard.

I haven't tried the demo yet.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
There are encounters that seem like they'd be impossible on a pad in Magicka.

The ability to punch out qqffaas very rapidly is essential, there is no way to handle that on a analog stick.

Sanjay

graywolf323 said:
I've never quite figured out how to get my dualshock 3 to work with Windows 7 64-bit :-(

Like John said, Motioninjoy drivers. I even use it wirelessly and have it set to emulate as a 360 pad so no need to config buttons.

Twig said:
False.

You are a living falsehood.

Just to be clear, I don't like how you have to combo actions to make spells. I just want to play the game and not that process be the game it self. It's just the method, I just don't like it, I guess I'm not accustomed as many other games make the fun using the skills instead of the process.

Having said that this would make a good kinect style game though.

Sinatar said:
There are encounters that seem like they'd be impossible on a pad in Magicka.

The ability to punch out qqffaas very rapidly is essential, there is no way to handle that on a analog stick.

I think its time to do a Nabs and use a arcade stick just for the heck of it, but for this game it might actually come off better, qqffaas with eight face Sanwa buttons :O

Twig

Banned
Sanjay said:
Just to be clear, I don't like how you have to combo actions to make spells. I just want to play the game and not that process be the game it self. It's just the method, I just don't like it, I guess I'm not accustomed as many other games make the fun using the skills instead of the process.
Hmmmm.
Stallion Free said:
You just described Sanjay's whole life. I know this because I hear about it every night on Mumble.
*nods sagely*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom