• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheExodu5

Banned
Which Tom Clancy games are worth owning?

I own Vegas 1 and it's a pretty awful PC port (I don't even think you can run it in any resolution higher than 720p).

vazel

Banned
omg today is going to be a bad day for my wallet with all these Clancy games on sale.
TheExodu5 said:
You can't map the triggers.
You keep ignoring the fix. It worked fine for me, I didn't even have to remap any of the controls. I know things like this should be built into the game but at least in this case the fix is very simple.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I've never played a Splinter Cell game besides Conviction.

Chaos Theory, Double Agent, and OG are all $3.39 each.

Help me pick one.

apana

I was guessing it would be splinter cell, I mean they are making a new entry in the series right? So they probably need to promote it a bit.

Zzoram

Stumpokapow said:

Help me pick one.

Chaos Theory was widely considered to be the best of those 3 games, and the PC version of Double Agent is better and very different than the console version

kamspy

Stumpokapow said:

Help me pick one.

Chaos Theory of course. I'm a military stealth game junkie and Chaos Theory in unrivaled. Truly a 10/10 game. The graphics still hold up like it came out yesterday.

JudgeN

TheExodu5 said:
You can't map the triggers.

You can, look at this post

Lime said:
Regarding Assassins Creed games and the 360 Wireless controller

Don't mind the misinformation, you can always find a fix for your wireless controller if a game doesn't natively support it. In the case of the Ass Creed games, simply replace the relevant files in your respective AC folder with these two files:

http://www.fileplanet.com/212510/download/Wireless-Xbox360-fix-for-Assassin's-Creed-I-and-II

Works for all AC games.

Works just fine, using it now

TheExodu5

Banned
vazel said:
omg today is going to be a bad day for my wallet with all these Clancy games on sale.
You keep ignoring the fix. It worked fine for me, I didn't even have to remap any of the controls. I know things like this should be built into the game but at least in this case the fix is very simple.

I didn't notice the fix. It was not available when I played AC2.

Lumine

Boo, I was hoping that the heroes pack (heroes of might&magic5+dark messiah) would go on sale. I'm in the mood for a turn-based RPG. :(

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wow, what to get. Tempted to get Conviction @ $6.79, but I have a feeling I'd never play it. Does it suck?

Same goes for GRAW2 and Vegas 2, I kinda want both and the price is right, but I've played them on 360 and who knows if I'll ever play them again.

What do I do in this situation?

Volcynika

Snuggler said:
Wow, what to get. Tempted to get Conviction @ $6.79, but I have a feeling I'd never play it. Does it suck?

Same goes for GRAW2 and Vegas 2, I kinda want both and the price is right, but I've played them on 360 and who knows if I'll ever play them again.

What do I do in this situation?

I liked Conviction. The multiplayer is pretty fun. Me and my friend never finished it because my internet was terrible when we tried to play it. :(

Heads up to anyone buying Chaos Theory to rekindle their Spies vs. Mercs love:

There are a number of issues and bugs that were never patched, the biggest being that the Merc's flashlight doesn't work on most modern video cards. There are some fixes out there, but it appears to be a lot of YMMV type stuff depending on what OS you're using. Just wanted to warn potential buyers that there will be some tinkering involved.

The single player works just fine.

JudgeN

So with conviction, do you want deluxe or regular? What is infiltration mode?

Can you use 360 controller with Chaos Theory?

JudgeN said:
So with conviction, do you want deluxe or regular? What is infiltration mode?

Can you use 360 controller with Chaos Theory?

Triggers don't work.

You can pretty much assume this with any game that has pad support, but not specifically 360 pad support.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Screw it, I bought Vegas 2. I liked it on 360 and I'm sure I'll play it some for the T-Hunts. That's worth $4 since it's something easy to pick up and play.

Maybe I'll consider Conviction since it sounds like it's worth $7 but like I said, when will I ever play it. So many sales, but I'm having a hard time convincing myself to spend money!

plc268

Zzoram said:
Chaos Theory was widely considered to be the best of those 3 games, and the PC version of Double Agent is better and very different than the console version

The PC version is identical to the inferior 360/PS3 version. The Xbox/PS2/GC version of Double agent is different (and better) than the PC version.

kamspy

Conviction rocks, but it should have been a new IP. If you go in expecting a new action stealth game it's awesome. If you go in expecting a sequel to Chaos Theory, eh.....

But for $7 don't think twice. It's fun as hell.

Ah, Sam Fisher, there you are.

Final count:

• Prince of Persia Complete Pack: 16.25
  • Brothers in Arms Pack: 6.74
  • Splinter Cell, Double Agent, Chaos Theory: 8.47
€32.46 for 11 games. Not too bad.

1-D_FTW

I'll put my name to Chaos Theory being the best of those Splinter Cell games. The series finally reached its potential with that game. May have been driven off the cliff after it, but for one glorious game, it was fantastic.

Probably picking up Chaos Theory and RSV1. Have RSV2 on 360 (which I never finished, but did play a decent bit when it came out. It's one of the few titles I regret buying at launch - it isn't very often that I get caught in the hype train for a game like that.)

plc268

1-D_FTW said:
I'll put my name to Chaos Theory being the best of those Splinter Cell games. The series finally reached it's potential with that game. May have been driven off the cliff after it, but for one glorious game, it was fantastic.

While Chaos Theory is the best in the series, SC1 should be considered as well. While it aged a bit more than Chaos Theory, it's still a great game.

kamspy

I guess people should be warned that something is woefully wrong with Double Agent on PC.

Doesn't matter if you play with kbm or controller. Something is just.....off. I played it fine on 360, but I couldn't slug through the second level on PC. Controls are just wonky as hell.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Hmmm... 66% off is enough to make me hesitant to really plunge. I would likely never play many of the game before being on sale for 75% off...

How is Hawx? I have been wanting to give that a try.

V_Ben

Banned
Grabbed Conviction and NightSky :) awesome that Conviction is Steam Play, and I hope that mac version of NightSky comes out eventually...

1-D_FTW

What's the consensus of Conviction again? At 6.79 I'll consider. Am I supposed to be pro or con? My fuzzy memory says I'm supposed to be pro (aside from the activation outrage)?

plc268 said:
While Chaos Theory is the best in the series, SC1 should be considered as well. While it aged a bit more than Chaos Theory, it's still a great game.

I enjoyed the original. But it had some infuriating flaws IMO. Worth playing, yes, but flawed. Chaos Theory was so great because they finally addressed those flaws.

kamspy

Drkirby said:
How is Hawx? I have been wanting to give that a try.

I'm a HUGE Ace Combat fan and HAWX scratches that itch well enough on PC. If you like Ace Combat, then pick it up. I liked it enough to spend $30 on the sequel a few months ago (which isn't really as good, more of an expansion pack).

Also, again, CONVICTION - BUY

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
SC1/Chaos Theory/Conviction are all great, especially the co-op in Conviction.

RC Vegas 1/2 are amazing in Terrorist Hunt Co-op/Story mode co-op.

I would buy Nightsky but the demo was like 320p resolution and that's a fucking severe turnoff.

szaromir

Banned
Is the Infiltration mode in Conviction any good? I'm cheap and don't want to spend €2 for something I'm never going to play.
I'm also buying Ghost Recon 1 and add-ons. Such a classic.

1-D_FTW

Leaning towards HAWX (since I picked up the Thrustmaster stick last December) and Conviction.

Anyone know the deal on Rainbow Six? My spidy sense says they're too be avoided. Do they suck? I almost seem to remember that their controls are mouse mapped to control stick movements.

DeVeAn

Stallion Free said:
SC1/Chaos Theory/Conviction are all great, especially the co-op in Conviction.

RC Vegas 1/2 are amazing in Terrorist Hunt Co-op/Story mode co-op.

I would buy Nightsky but the demo was like 320p resolution and that's a fucking severe turnoff.
Looking at Conviction, does it have pad support? And is the Deluxe version worth it?

Murkas

How is the co-op and PC port for vegas 2? Me and my friend have been looking for a new coop game and at this price it seems nice, unless one of the other Tom Clancy games are better for co-op and is a better port?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom