• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

confused

Banned
Drkirby said:
Nope, it is going to be Petz Day!

header_586x192.jpg

That would be an awesome troll.

Coldsnap

What's the reason why Steam won't let you change your username? I like to mix up my names every so often, even end up paying for it on xbox live....

coopolon

Coldsnap said:
What's the reason why Steam won't let you change your username? I like to mix up my names every so often, even end up paying for it on xbox live....

You can. You just can't change your login email.

Just log in to Steam Community, then go to Edit Profile. I'm pretty sure you can do it from the client as well.

NIN90

Coldsnap said:

Go to your friends window and click the arrow next to your name.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Coldsnap said:

Is there even a single game on Steam that forces you to use your actual account name as opposed to your Steam Friends name (which you can change as often as you like)? I'm going to go ahead and guess, "Nope."

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Coldsnap said:
Nothing? Simplest way is goto your friends list, click the arrow next to your name, and say "Change Profile Name", and you are done. Your log in ID is the same, but you will have a new display name.

JaseC said:
Is there even a single game on Steam that forces you to use your actual account name as opposed to your Steam Friends name (which you can change as often as you like)?

I don't think so, since it would be a security risk. The point of having the two separate is so you can't guess account user names.

Kuran

Banned
I just want to play Far Cry 2 all day.... damn work stress.

Ps. Is there a way to bribe certain groups if you pissed them off? This village didnt like me anymore when I returned..

IrishNinja

Moobabe said:
How big is ACII to download?

5.8 GB, apparently. (thanks again, confused!)

in somewhat related news, those buying Fallout 3 GOTY from GS, be warned: they're not fast on getting you the key. my transaction went through fine about half an hour ago, no word on when the game'll be playable though.

coopolon

IrishNinja said:
in somewhat related news, those buying Fallout 3 GOTY from GS, be warned: they're not fast on getting you the key. my transaction went through fine about half an hour ago, no word on when the game'll be playable though.

Hmm, after seeing your post I went and checked CAG and numerous people have reported the same problem, one since last night.

JudgeN

Got AC2 running great locked 60 FPS max out with a wireless 360 controller, feels good everyone. Now should I buy AC just to have it on my steam collection? hmm? Game was ass though hmm.

JudgeN said:
Got AC2 running great locked 60 FPS max out with a wireless 360 controller, feels good everyone. Now should I buy AC just to have it on my steam collection? hmm? Game was ass though hmm.

Do the triggers work? Have I been fed a bushel of lies?

vazel

Banned
gregor7777 said:
Do the triggers work? Have I been fed a bushel of lies?
The triggers on my DS3 emulated as a wireless 360 controller register as the 'z axis'. The z axis can only be mapped to movement/camera controls which makes the triggers useless.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Drkirby said:
I don't think so, since it would be a security risk. The point of having the two separate is so you can't guess account user names.

Yeah, that was the conclusion I arrived at, too.

Carm

Has the store page been loading slowly for anyone else the past week? When first logging into Steam, it goes straight to my library, but when I switch to the store, it takes at least 15 seconds from blank page, to normal front page of the store.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Carm said:
Has the store page been loading slowly for anyone else the past week? When first logging into Steam, it goes straight to my library, but when I switch to the store, it takes at least 15 seconds from blank page, to normal front page of the store.
Maybe delete ClientRegistry.blob?

I mean it does solve 99% of issues.

Carm

Stallion Free said:
Maybe delete ClientRegistry.blob?

I mean it does solve 99% of issues.

Tried that multiple times. =/

coopolon said:
Hmm, after seeing your post I went and checked CAG and numerous people have reported the same problem, one since last night.

Call the number in the email and complain, you should get it within a half hour after that.

vazel

Banned
Karram said:
Wait, is it possible to connect a wireless 360 controller to the PC ?
I don't think Microsoft sells the dongles anymore. Which is just as well since they were shoddy and tended to overheat.

Many like me use our Dualshock 3 with motioninjoy and a bluetooth dongle to emulate a wireless 360 controller.

TheExodu5

Banned
Carm said:

Try switching content servers...might help.

TheExodu5

Banned
Karram said:
Wait, is it possible to connect a wireless 360 controller to the PC ?

Yes, but keep in mind that if you're doing this for Assassin's Creed, the game oddly does not support the wireless controller, yet it supports the wired one.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Okay, off on a new mission to convince people to buy a game:

The Game: Frozen Synapse

The Price: currently 19,99$ (normally 25$) for two versions of the game, so 10$ each.

The Screenshot:

1.jpg

The description:
It is basically a simultaneous, turn-based Fallout Tactics Chess.

The explanation to the description:
Normally, you start with a team made of 3-4 guys and have to take care of a certain objective (save the hostages, kill the other team...). There is a wide variety of objectives but the one most of us on GAF are playing right now is the simple version of kill them all.
You have total control over what your team mates are doing in the next 5 seconds, for example: Dude 1 walks 4 steps forward to feint walking into that direction, throws a grenade, ducks, walks behind cover, stands up and runs to safety. All this easily within 5 seconds. The goal in general is to outwit the strategy of the opponent and its damn satisfying.
There are 4 unit types (MG dude, Grenade dude, Rocket dude, Shotgun dude) and each handle a bit differently due to their weapon of choice.
There is also a singleplayer mode with 55 levels, but the real reason to play this game is the multiplayer. One round might take about 20 minutes on standard settings, so its even playable in short bursts.

Its just an incredible feeling to plan your tactics for your team and see them carrying it out to slaughter your enemy. If you are fan of strategy titles you really cant miss this game.

The Videos:

Sort of review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jJrUY27O0Y&feature=player_detailpage#t=359s

short gameplay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsZvgiYdNbU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du0-pp4gfs8

The Thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=424835

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

TheExodu5

Banned
Wired > wireless.

Like I said, Assassin's Creed only works with the wired controller. For games that support neither, you can at least use the XBCD drivers with the wired controller.

I decided not to send a support ticket to Steam in regards to an Assassin's Creed II refund. I tried the ol' "run as administrator" trick on the AC2.exe and the game works flawlessly now. Just got done with a two hour session. 8)

kamspy

goldsoundz said:
I decided not to send a support ticket to Steam in regards to an Assassin's Creed II refund. I tried the ol' "run as administrator" trick on the AC2.exe and the game works flawlessly now. Just got done with a two hour session. 8)

disable UAC bro.

Need an R6 Vegas sale here.

TheExodu5 said:
Wired > wireless.

Like I said, Assassin's Creed only works with the wired controller. For games that support neither, you can at least use the XBCD drivers with the wired controller.
I played AC1 and 2 just fine with my Wireless Controller. Weird.

apana

Ass Creed 2 is beautiful but the lighting is horrible, so bright but not in a good way. I think the correct term for it is bloom? How do I get rid of this and make the colors darker and richer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom